Adrian Pasdar Previews Castle's 24-Like Story Arc, Teases 'Amazing' Profit Follow-Up

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but ABC’s Castle is bringing on a familiar face to help the NYPD get to the bottom of a case a bit bigger than they’re used to tackling. But whereas a year ago it was Dana Delany playing a prickly G-Woman, this Monday at 10/9c, you get Adrian Pasdar as a hardcore Homeland Security honcho. And whereas Delany’s FBI Agent Jordan Shaw was enlisted to track a serial killer picking off innocents one-by-one, Pasdar’s Agent Mark Fallon is on hand to stop someone from killing a whole lotta people at once.

Pasdar spoke with TVLine about his 24-like, two-episode arc and if — as Delany did with ABC’s Body Of Proof (premiering March 29) — he stands to parlay this plum gig into something more.

TVLINE | What kind of welcome does Agent Fallon get when he arrives on the scene this week?
Ice-cold. I mean, who wants some dude coming in telling them how to cook their pancakes? But it warms up, which is really cool, because toward the end of the first episode you get an inkling of who he really is.

TVLINE | He does some things early on that won’t make him popular with viewers.
That’s the great part about playing somebody like this – you’re not responsible for the likeability, just getting the job done.

TVLINE | And based on the way he interrogates one woman as she’s holding a baby, you get the sense this is a guy who will do whatever needs to be done.
Great, that’s exactly what’s supposed to be drawn from that scene. And in the middle of the second episode there’s a reason that’s made clear to Castle and Beckett why he is who he is. He’s kind of forgiven for his a–hole behavior, based on what’s revealed.

Ask Ausiello: Scoop On House, Castle and More!

TVLINE | What’s Fallon’s take on Castle’s presence during this highly sensitive, high-stakes drama? After all, he’s not a cop, but a novelist.
[Laughs] I get to address that. Fallon is kind of baffled at first – “I don’t even know why you’re here,” I say at one point. And then he starts accepting, based on the fact that Castle comes up with some good ideas.

TVLINE | Does he at any point come to suspect there’s a little “something” between Castle and Beckett?
Yeah, I do say something about that. Like, “I thought you guys were together?” Castle says, “No, we’re just friends,” and I kind of look at him like, “Yeah, right.” There’s a moment of levity there.

TVLINE | As you were reading this script, did you get the sense it would have a 24-like intensity to it? Because that’s how it plays on screen.
Oh, it was definitely written like that. And though the character was written as an entirely fictional creation, I based him on a very real person, a friend of mine. That combination of escapism combined with the realism of the person I based Fallon on gave it that 24 feel, that sense of immediacy that things had to get done now.

TVLINE | About a year ago, Dana Delany had her own two-part Castle arc, and at the time she was awarded the lead in the pilot for Body Of Proof. Are there any offers on the table for you yet?
I was made aware of that when I stepped into this, that that was a possible outcome. But man, you never know. So many things have to come together for a TV show to work – and for a good TV show to work, a million great things have to come together. And the rarity of that…. I’ve been on some really good TV shows that have turned into… [Clears throat]. Anyway…. So yeah, it’s a possibility, but who knows? If more than five people choose to do it, it could happen — based on which six people they are.

Castle Soaps Up, and Other TV News To Know

TVLINE | If you could pick any of your past TV series to have run longer, which would you choose?
Profit. Without a doubt. That was television before its time, TV doesn’t get better than that. But David Greenwalt, one of the writer-producers on that show, has a new [pilot in development for NBC], called Grimm, and it is just as good. It’s amazing.

TVLINE | And Heroes? Dead, done, finito?
[Inhales sharply] Uh, yeah. I think it was done somewhere in the middle of Season 2, wasn’t it?

Castle fans, are you excited for Adrian Pasdar’s two-episode run?

1. Amber says:

LMAO at that Heroes dig. So, so true. Adrian, I love you. Hope you find a new show worthy of your talents soon.

2. znachki says:

Can’t wait to see this, and I can’t tell you how happy I am that he’d go back to Profit. That show was one of my favorites ever. So ahead of its time. Hmm…. an Adrian Pasdar/David Greenwalt reunion could make a whole lotta folks very happy….

3. Suzanne M. says:

Great article !! ;)

4. Scott says:

Hey Matt, if this arc brings in the ratings can you pester the Castle creators for a spin-off? I need a new 24 type show on the air. :)

5. dmso says:

Wow, Adrian’s still bitter about Nathan being killed off. Done in the middle of Season 2? I think not. Unless he’s referring to the writer’s strike.

• Ceecile says:

No just the fact that the show started to suck after that.

• DL says:

Yeah, exactly. In fact, by the end of Season 2, the show was in a horrible downward spiral the likes of which it was never able to recover from.

I never even finished watching the last season, even though Robert Knepper is damn awesome. But even an actor of his caliber couldn’t save the show from awful writing and story arcs.

6. Dominique says:

Always love seeing Adrian on my screen, so I will love his guest stint on Castle for sure.
    LOL at the Heroes dig. He’s not ashamed to admit that the show went downhill from season 2 onward.

7. AJ says:

To be honest, Heroes did turn into an utter crapfest after the writers’ strike. Three words: bug Mohinder, LOL.

8. Jenn says:

I loved, loved, loved Profit (I actually own all the episodes, though way too few on DVD).. That show was WAY ahead of it’s time and it worried TPTB at Fox as it pushed every single button out there and really made you think (Lone Star was a show that was so similar to Profit it was freaky), just the thought of him teaming up with David Greenwalt again thrills me to no end. I love that he’s on Castle and think he’ll hit it right out of the park. Can’t wait for the episodes!!!!

9. Anonymous says:

Cannot wait for this episode! Sneak peeks love amazing! Love Castle!!!

10. Rémonde says:

Not gonna lie, I love this guy. Would watch him in pretty much anything, so David Greenwalt if you find a role for Pasdar in your show: I’m there. Back to Castle, these’ll be the first episodes I watch and I might stick around after.

• Amber says:

This might get me to watch Castle as well. I find it very predictable, but I miss Adrian so much since Heroes. He was one of the best actors on that show.

11. Sourabh says:

Flying Man!

12. John says:

I’m excited about his endorsement of Grimm; it signals that we’re moving along in pilot season from the point where everyone rolls their eyes at every potential series’ logline (and really, those mini-descriptions practically beg you to), and shifts to people actually judging the scripts and real buzz starting to form.

Also, Pasdar on that show would be really awesome.

13. Scott says:

I love actors when they give truly candid interviews like this, Adam Baldwin from Chuck/Firefly is another actor who’s frankly honest and wonderfully refreshing to read as a result. We need more actors like Messrs Pasdar and Baldwin imho.

Anyway, great interview and it will be nice to see Adrian on Castle for the next two weeks. As for any chance of a Profit reboot, hell yeah. Profit was so far ahead of its time it was untrue and utterly compelling television.

I’ve got my fingers crossed Adrian’s two episodes go well because the early reviews have been positive and if there’s enough positive feedback, then Castle gets a spin-off and all the magic of cross-overs.

And finally, regarding the season 2 of Heroes comment… Adrian is spot on. Season 2 wasn’t that good before the writer’s strike but it lost all momentum once it had finished and was never the same. And yes, the final nail in Heroes coffin was when Sylar killed Nathan. You can’t lose your best actor and not suffer a ratings freefall as a result.

14. alkicia says:

I loved him on Judging Amy. That was always my secret favorite show. That show always made me wanna be a better person. Corny I know. Loved him in it. He isnt the best musician though. Seen in concert………………..:(