Exclusive

Mike O'Malley Reveals Double Duty Plans for Glee, New Fox Pilot

Burt Hummel fans, rejoice! Mike O’Malley tells me exclusively that there’s no need to worry about the future of Glee‘s greatest dad.

When Deadline reported Wednesday that O’Malley had landed the lead role in Fox’s new pilot Family Album, the web went wild with one pivotal query: What does this mean for Glee‘s Burt Hummel?! Well, fret not because barring another internal disaster, Kurts’s (Chris Colfer) beloved pops is here to stay.

“I hope Burt Hummel doesn’t have another heart attack and die because as part of my deal, I’m guaranteed six episodes of Glee next season,” a dapper O’Malley revealed Saturday night at the Ace Eddie Awards in Beverly Hills.

Six episodes may not sound like much, but in actuality it’s one more than his first season run and just about the same number of times we’ve seen Burt in Season 2 — so not too shabby.

Look for Burt to pop-up in the next two episodes of Glee (the first airing Tuesday, February 22). “My upcoming scenes are with Kurt, and it’s some really great stuff,” he promised. “It’s the further stage of evolution of Burt needing to accept his son as who he is. They have some conversations Burt never thought he would have to have.” Blaine-related, no doubt.

Are you happy Mike O’Malley’s handsome face will continue to show up on Glee from time to time? Looking forward to more emotional Burt fun? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. WyldeMan45 says:

I believe you mean March 22nd, not February. :D

2. Michelle R. says:

This is a perfect example of why we should be careful not to typecast actors. I would have never thought, based on previous roles, that this actor would come across as so heartfelt and sincere in this role. I also give the writers credit for not making the character be the guy we assumed he would be when we first met him. I think a lot of people were caught up in not liking how Kurt stalked Finn to appreciate the awesome that was Burt making his home an emotional safe zone for his son. I’d never seen that particular scene before.

• DancerinDC says:

Completely agree with you, Michelle – I have been so wonderfully surprised by the depth of O’Malley’s talent since he started doing ‘Glee.’ Very happy to have him stay on, but also looking forward to seeing what his new show will be like.

• Alice says:

Wow, that scene was what made me STOP liking Burt. He selfishly ripped his girlfriend’s son out of his home so he could shack up with his mom- then forced him to live in the basement because there was no place for him in his new home. Then he throws him out of said new home, when he had nowhere to go because his mother now lives with Burt. That was in no way a responsible or appropriate way to disciple Finn. The kid is a frickin’ minor! I don’t care how terrible your children behave, you don’t get to throw them out on the street, it’s called abandonment. Now Burt pretty much annoys me.

• Momallrat says:

Alice,I think you misinterpreted what happened in that scene. Burt did not throw Finn out of the house and have Carol continue to live there. His lines clearly indicated that he was rescinding the invitation for either Carol or Finn to move in, in order to protect his son from what he quite correctly viewed as an unwarranted attack on his son’s sexual preference. It is also not uncommon for siblings to have to share a room. Burt, somewhat optimistically, assumed that as friends they would not mind sharing Kurt’s room which was in the basement. It is obvious from developments this season that Burt abandoned neither Carol or Finn and that he did learn his lesson because before marrying Carol he mentioned looking for a house large enough that the boys did not have to share a room.

• Suz says:

Alice, the basement was originally Kurt’s room. I’m assuming the house was small since Burt had Kurt and Finn share Kurt’s bedroom. Also, he didn’t kick out finn and let carol go ahead and move in. He actually said in the scene that he wouldn’t have Carol and Finn move in if Finn was going to speak that way even if that meant risking his relationship with Carol.

3. anthrox says:

Mike O’Malley has GUTS. AGROCRAG!!!!

4. Heyerchick says:

Furt fun? Furt actually refers to Finn and Kurt. And my response to that is – if only. Sigh. These “true brothers” have literally not spoken since Finn yelled at Kurt for transferring out of McKinley because he wasn’t safe there. That’s five episodes and counting…

• Ryan says:

They still live in the same house, even if we haven’t been seeing it.

• Michelle R. says:

Excellent point. We even had the scene with Rachel talking to Kurt and he says that Finn doesn’t tell him things. Is there a plot point hidden in that? Even eye contact at the football game or Bread Sticks.

• Bete says:

I do believe they’ll just drop the friendship between Finn and Kurt just the way they dropped the Mercedes/Quin friendship. Which is sad…

5. AngrodTV says:

Really glad for him. He’s great as Burt, but as many others on the show, is very underused. Hope he can combine both stints.

• maya says:

Apart from Lea Michele, diana agron, cory monteith, amber riley, jane lynch and chris cofler EVERYONE is underused in that show! there are just too many chaacters and they keep insistin gon the same ones…

6. AlistairCrane says:

I bet Jessalyn Gilsig has the same 6-episode deal in her series regular contract. No wonder she’s never on!!!

7. ggny says:

only 6 episodes and he gets a series regular contract? good for him

8. Doug says:

It’s nice to see good things happen to good people. O’Malley’s a genuinely nice guy who deserves getting some good breaks and good recognition. He’s always been good from that CBS sitcom he had to My Own Worst Enemy (even if those shows weren’t that great, he was good), to the small role he got on Parenthood to Glee. Plus he’s a great stand up and MC at a lot of charity events too. Score one for the good guys.

9. Leila says:

Let me see: Burt meets Blaine?? Thats totally cool!!

10. aleksa says:

“Glee”‘s greatest dad? Burt’s one of recent television’s greatest dads.

• AlistairCrane says:

Other than Burt, I think the only other dad we’ve seen on Glee is Quinn’s dad. Would be nice to meet the other characters’ parents…

• Suz says:

I agree. I’d love to see Rachel’s dads! I mainly want to see the people who raised someone like Rachel (and would make a shrine of her in the basement? Wasn’t that mentioned season 1 when Jesse was still on?). Ooh, I want to see Brittany’s parents too. Hopefully they are as hilarious as she is.

• Julianna says:

I wonder why Rachel never took Kurt and Burt to talk to her dads, considering Mr. and Mr. Berry were young gay men in Ohio… I’d love to see that happening.

11. Scooter says:

i never realized his character was named Burt…and named his kid Kurt. do people actually do that?

12. eilo says:

yey! really like his character=) time to get more role models for parents of gay teens out there