Chuck's Mystery Woman: Do We Spy Trouble?

This Monday on Chuck (NBC, 8/7c), a mysterious woman enters Team Bartowski’s orbit by way of a masquerade party. But it could be a bit until this Brit beauty’s true identity is unmasked –- and when it is, the reveal may be a doozy.

Lauren Cohan, familiar to fans of genre TV from her runs on Supernatural and very recently The Vampire Diaries, shared with TVLine a look at how her character, Vivian McArthur, catches the eye of our favorite spy guy.

TVLINE | Under what circumstances do we first meet Vivian?
Basically Chuck and Sarah come to find her [at a masked gala at a British manor] because they suspect her of being linked with Volkoff’s corporation. But then they find out that she’s actually in need of their protection. All of this is news to her, and we begin a journey to find out her… hmm, I don’t like the word “purpose”….

TVLINE | “Agenda”?
Agenda! That’s perfect.

Ask Ausiello: Get Scoop On Chuck‘s Other New Arrival!

TVLINE | How would you describe Vivian?
She’s kind of a well-educated, bumbling recluse.

TVLINE | Is she welcoming to Chuck and Sarah when they first approach her?
She’s very suspicious of them and what they want out of her. But then she joins forces with them.

TVLINE | Are there any hints dropped that she is harboring a secret?
We don’t know her exact connection to the Volkoff empire, and she… well, I’m afraid to say more.

Chuck‘s Joshua Gomez Praises ‘Awesome’ Twist

TVLINE | If Chuck gets picked up for a fifth season, would Vivian be sticking around?
I don’t know. I know I’m on for about five episodes — I’m off for a couple right now, and then I come back. I’ve heard rumors of some really cool revelations, but the only thing is that some of them discount things that have already been revealed on Chuck. But again, they’re not concrete rumors.

TVLINE | There’s been speculation that she is Volkoff’s daughter and/or somehow related to Chuck, or she’s a spoiler for the Chuck/Sarah romance – no theories that are popular with fans. Did your time as Supernatural‘s Bela teach you to have a tough skin about such things?
Supernatural did, yeah, but Vampire Diaries was probably the biggest lesson because in the end, when I had my final couple of episodes…

TVLINE | … Rose got a piece of Damon.
Yeah, and the fans get very protective of Damon!

Chuck Bosses Talk Volkoff’s Return, Chuck/Sarah Wedding and… Season 5?

TVLINE | Was it a tease to bed Damon only to then have things go terribly South?
I thought it was interesting that they did that. I think that maybe Damon’s not really supposed to be in a engaged relationship, yet Rose kind of woke something in him. I don’t think it was love but a new side of humanity, and that paves the way for a new kind of storyline for him, which is exciting. I really loved that scene at the end of [my final episode] where Damon stops on the highway and has this complete mental breakdown.

TVLINE | Was Vampire Diaries your first death scene as an actress?
Yeah. On Supernatural they alluded that I was killed by hellhounds, but you don’t actually see it. It’s interesting, because [on Vampire Diaries] I was bitten by a wolf. I should stay away from creatures on four legs! [Laughs]

Baby… Baby? Chuck Producers Reveal Plan for Sarah Lancaster’s Real-Life Pregnancy

Chuck fans, who do you think Vivian will turn out to be?

1. Lev says:

Volkoff’s daughter for sure, and if the rumors she alludes to discounts things that have already been revealed on Chuck, then maybe she is Mary’s daughter, aka Chuck & Ellie’s half-sister. That would make the reveal that Volkoff and Mary never slept together untrue – which seemed kind of ridiculous anyway.

Episode looks cool & am looking forward to it!

2. Michelle says:

Just discovered Chuck and I’m LOVING IT! Just finished the 1st season

3. Tim says:

As long as it isn’t Chuck’s half sister it’s fine.

4. Michael says:

It says she’s playing Vivian Volkoff on IMDb but I’ll act aloof so that I can be surprised! :D

5. Ali says:

Mary was more than likely pregnant with Stephen’s kid but went undercover and made it look like it was Volkoff’s kid. My guess is Vivian will turn out to be Chuck and Ellie’s actual sister, whom Volkoff thinks is his kid, not Stephens (soap opera’ish at best) Or she’s a half sister. Or Casey has another kid he knows nothing about…snicker…..that would be kind of funny now wouldn’t it?

• GimplyGump ☺ says:

I like your theory on how she might be Chuck/Ellie’s FULL sister. At this point in the game, I sincerely doubt TPTB will tross in another wrench in the Chuck/Sarah relatiuonship and cause more unrest in die hard fans.

• John says:

That would be kind of funny, yeah…I also thought that them writing Sarah Lancaster’s real pregnancy into the show would be funny too…imagine Captain Awesome coming undone at one baby, then suddenly having another on the way at the same time! As far as I know, consecutive pregnancies don’t get done on TV very often. Except Cheers.

6. Ceecile says:

I LOVED Rose, I knew it was bound to happen but I was very sad they killed her off. At least she was given a proper fairwell not like the character played by Malese Jow whose name I’ve already forgotten.
    Hate when I get attached to a character who gets killed off and everybody else forgets about it.

7. MK says:

Sarah made a comment in the first season about her and her sister getting sunburn at the beach when they were kids. I later assumed that she made the story up, but maybe Sarah really does have a sister and she just so happens to be Vivian? It would go along with Sarah’s whole my-family-is-super-complicated story, I guess. And it would also go against the general assumption that Sarah is an only child.

8. Aiden says:

Sounds good to me. How I hope Chuck sticks around for another season (or two or three…).

9. mdz says:

Love Chuck..can’t wait to see Lauren in this role…Pleasa Nbc give Chuck fans a Season 5!!

10. Christine says:

Lauren has played controversial characters before, but to me controversial means interesting and I usually tend to root for such characters. I, for one, LOVED Bela. She was so intelligent and bada**. Lauren got very unlucky in Supernatural because she appeared the season that the writers’ strike happened and that resulted to her having less screentime.
    I don’t watch The Vampire Diaries so I don’t know how Rose was. But it seems to me, after having read Vivian’s description, that Lauren tends to be cast in roles of really smart, educated women. That’s great and she deserves it because she is a truly talented actress.

11. joeyp says:

Off topic, but I like her hair better on TVD

12. John Harnes says:

A half sister for Chuck… That could be great!

13. Bella says:

I miss her character on Supernatural, but I’m excited to see her on Chuck

14. Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clarity in your post is just spectacular andd i could assume you’re an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

15. Spot on with this write-up, I actually feel this
    web site needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the information!

16. Muscle Rev X says:

you’re truly a good webmaster. The web site loading
    pace is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
    Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great job in
    this subject!

17. SMRT CEO says:

Here are five places you can advertise your small business online for free without
    actually placing an ad. Using specific keywords heightens your search engine ranking
    for applicable searches. Learn how to market your home based sewing business online and in your local
    community.