Exclusive

Cougar Town Exclusive: Scrubs Crossover Alert!

You already know that Cougar Town‘s tipsy Cul-de-sac crew will be heading to Hawaii during May sweeps. But what you don’t know is who they’ll run into shortly after getting lei’d: Ted from Scrubs!

Sources confirm to me exclusively that actor Sam Lloyd is nearing a deal to reprise his role as Sacred Heart’s long-suffering and dim-witted attorney Ted Buckland in C-Town‘s Aloha State-set season finale.

It’s not clear how Ted figures into the storyline, which revolves around Jules and Co. flying to Hawaii to help Travis through some kind of crisis.

Executive producer Bill Lawrence has not been shy about blending the universes of his former and current shows (see also: Christa Miller, Ken Jenkins, Scott Foley, etc). But this would mark the first time an actual character from Scrubs enters C-Town‘s orbit.

Thoughts? Psyched to see Scrubs live on via Cougar Town? And which Sacred Heart vet should make the leap next? Hit the comments!

1. AlistairCrane says:

OMFG awesome!!! I love a good crossover. :-D

2. Kirbs says:

Bring back the whole Blanks quartet!

3. nikres says:

Don’t forget about Coffee Bucks! I’ve been seeing the cups a lot lately…

4. Jake says:

I hope he “recognizes” Jules from somewhere. thatd be hilarious! since Courtney was on Scrubs for a couple eps.

5. Ben Phelps says:

By using other Scrubs actors in different CT roles, they’ve established that the two show do not exist in the same universe… I don’t like the idea of them breaking that rule for Ted, as much as I like the character. Just have him playing a similar bumbling lawyer, not the exact same one

• miribella says:

Agreed.

• John says:

Actually, I kinda like how it doesn’t work logically. Nonetheless, I hope this involves the quartet!

• Bozo says:

Nah, it just means Jules dated a guy who looked like Sean and her father just happens to look like Kelso. ;-)

• matt says:

I don’t watch the show but I read the comments just to see how long it would take for someone to complain about the “continuity” issues. Seriously, it’s not “Lost”, you’re talking about SITCOM. “the shows have already established that they don’t exist in the same universe…” lol. I’m not trying to be a jerk but you take TV WAY to seriously.

I can understand if it was a serialized, plot-driven show like Lost or Fringe or something, but it’s a sitcom. Who cares? Were you one of those people that got upset when ER and Third Watch did a cross over, even though a Third Watch character mentioned the TV show “er” during an episode once? HOW CAN IT BE?!?!

• AlistairCrane says:

It just means that everyone in the shared Scrubs/Cougar Town universe has a doppelganger, which is pretty cool. Would LOVE to meet the Scrubs version of Grayson.

• eric says:

Awesome! I don’t watch cougar town but I definitely will to see ted on it.
        And @Ben Phelps, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Aside from the fact that sitcoms spread have weak continuity, Courtney Cox is a fairly famous actress to begin with it’s safe to asume if she hasn’t mentioned, someone who is somehow realated to her life has. Its safe to say certain people just look like eachother exist in real life and the show.

• Besides which, SCRUBS made repeated references to FRIENDS in the early seasons and later used Cox as an actor. Shows like PSYCH routinely reference movies and actors, only to have those actors show up playing a character on their show (YES, SENSEI!). Each show has its own rules for how this kind of thing has to be handled.

• Dr. Mike says:

The same actor can play different characters in the same “universe.” Check out the guest stars (and, in fact, even the stars) of the “Law & Order” universe sometime…John Ventimiglia (Artie Bucco from “The Sopranos”), for example, has played FIVE different characters on “Law & Order” shows (four on the flagship alone).

It’s been established that “Cougar Town” takes place in the “Scrubs” universe (although this was apparently decided on after “CT” characters were shown watching “Scrubs” in an early episode…maybe it’s a reality show to them). In addition to CoffeeBucks and whatnot, Travis was accepted to Winston University.

6. Kate says:

I hope he is there performing with his acapella group! I loved them!

7. Amanda says:

I like this! I think it’d be funny if he was there as a lawyer for Travis… who goes to Hawaii and gets married to the-current-girlfriend whose name I’ve forgotten, and then needs a quickie annulment.

8. TamIWas says:

I love the crossover idea! Ted was one of my favorite characters. It’d be really funny if he ever met Jules’ father given the dynamic between him and Kelso on Scrubs.

9. Jasdeep Grewal says:

I hope we get to see the Worthless Peons!

Legal!
    Accounting!
    Shipping&Receiving!

On-site property management including pest control, night-time security, non-arboreal gardening services, and tenant related easements and liens!!!!!!!!!!

10. tvgirl48 says:

I don’t mind them mixing Scrubs alums as guest stars as new characters vs their old characters. It’s strange, but not that mentally taxing to keep track of. I would absolutely love to see the Worthless Peons again somehow, as long as they were worked into the episode organically and not forced in for a gimmick. They should have Ted be Tom’s brother or something.

11. ScrubsGuy says:

Oh no – continuity alert! There’s already an episode from season 1 where Jules is sitting in front of the TV and guess what’s on? Scrubs! You definitely see JD and Turk. …oh well, screw continuity and bring ‘em on! =P

12. Pookie says:

I am all for the revivals (Lisa & jen from Friends guest starred and Matthew almost agreed before turning down the offer) but too much is too much!

13. Bob says:

I don’t care who the guest star is. I just want the show back in its usual time.

14. Lana says:

He should be Tom’s relative. They both have the same hang-dog look about them.

15. As long as there’s news about how he’s doing with Gooch, I’m good.