Ratings: Criminal Minds Spinoff Behaves Well, Sunshine Dims More Than Some

Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior overcame middling reviews to post strong numbers in its Wednesday premiere. The CBS spinoff not only slightly improved upon its mothership lead-in, but with 12.9 million viewers and a 3.3 rating delivered increases of 4 percent and 41 percent over time-slot predecessor/placeholder Blue Bloods.

The news was not nearly as good for another midseason newbie. In its second week, ABC’s Mr. Sunshine plunged 33 percent in audience (to barely 7 million viewers) and 30 percent in the demo (with a 2.6).

Elsewhere this Wednesday:

* American Idol of course led the night, this time with 22.84 million total viewers and an 8.1 demo rating (slipping a few percentage points week-to-week in both measures).

* Survivor: Redemption Island premiered to 11.17 million viewers and a (series-low) 3.2 rating.

* In the 9 o’clock hour, Criminal Minds proper (12.83 million viewers/3.2) was down about 10 percent, while Modern Family (10.5 mil/4.3) dropped 14 percent in the demo, doing Matt Perry no favors.

* At 10 pm, Law & Order: SVU placed second behind CM:SB with 7.3 million viewers and a 2.2 rating, down about 10 percent. ABC’s Off The Map (4.33 mil/1.5), meanwhile, dropped a solid 20 percent.

What did you check out this Wednesday evening?

1. Phoebe Raven says:

Things aren’t looking good for “Off the Map”, eh? Not that I mind, I am still slightly offended by its pilot weeks later.

Question though: Any ratings for “Justified”? Are we hearing anything about renewal from FX?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Cable ratings typically come in about a a full day later than broadcast, but JUSTIFIED S2 got off to a solid start last week, I know that.

2. Clarissa says:

I wonder how many viewers the Criminal Minds spinoff will have next week. I tried liking it because of its cast, but the amazing cast wasn’t enough to hold my interest.

• Linda says:

I didn’t bother with the Criminal Minds spinoff as I am not a huge fan of Janeane Garofolo or Forest Whittaker. Janeane is just not a good actress in my mind – I thought she was absolutely pitiful in 24!

• Suncatcher says:

When Criminal Minds producer, Ed Bernero and CBS, decided to cut the 2 lead actresses last June, I decided to not only stop watching CM but pledged to not watch CM2, the spinoff. If they could not afford to keep AJ Cook and Paget Brewster they sure as heck could ill afford to a dumb spin off.

Now I read (on TVLine and elsewhere this month) that CBS wants Paget Brewster back – but she’s looking at other opportunities. Duh. So CBS is writing the season closer with Prentiss being able to come back next season or disappear as originally planned. A real cliffhanger!

Paget – take the new pilot / opportunity. CBS and Bernero screwed you. An eye for a (CBS) eye…

3. Esaul says:

Pleased to see CM:SB did well for it’s premiere. I just hope it can hold strong next week, even with CM as a lead in.

4. Jenny says:

Not surprised about mr. Sunshine. It’s not appealing. In any way. Really wanted to like it cause of Matthew perry. I’m glad Off the Map is sinking each week. The show is really bad.

• Linda says:

I’m like you, I wanted to like Sunshine because of Matthew Perry but it’s just not funny…..I’m finding the humor is just too forced, and almost mean!!

• Kate says:

Same, I love Matthew Perry but the show just isn’t funny. I think I laughed at one thing and it wasn’t memorable enough for me to tell you what it was.

• Stacie says:

I think Mr. Sunshine would have been a better cable show. Maybe add a little cursing, something like that. Right now it’s awfully bland. It has a solid cast but I don’t know if the substance is there for long term.

• God of Sand says:

Give us a chance to watch Mr Sunshine. It’s on my DVR. I promise not to fast forward through the commercials. Just need to find the time to watch it.

• KevyB says:

Don’t bother! It’s like they left out the punchlines. Just a bunch of crazy stuff going on. I canceled all future recordings. Now ABC just needs to bring back Cougar Town early and give us more episodes to make up for replacing it with this dreck.

5. Mrs_Mack says:

I did not like the new Criminal Minds SB…I tried…and with timeshifting I was able to watch it at 7pm and not miss Off the Map that I enjoy…we will see what makes the cut and what doesn’t…May sweeps will tell..

6. Buffy Freak says:

Mr. Sunshine is just awful…I love the potential chemistry with Matthew Perry and Allison Janney but the rest of the cast and the scripts are weak.

Survivor is just getting tired and bringing in Boston Rob and, especially, Russell is a bad idea. And could they try to come up with something different for the Hidden Immunity Idol…make it harder to find or don’t introduce it til the merge or something.

7. Carm says:

I am not surprised about Mr Sunshine. I
    I like all the actors but did not laugh
    once last week. So last night I
    watched CM live instead of MF and MS.
    Usually I watch MF and CT and tape CM.

8. Amanda says:

Too bad about the Off The Map ratings. The show has gotten better and better week to week.

9. Jon says:

Not too surprised about Mr. Sunshine. They throw everything and the kitchen sink into the show. Perhaps if they’d started with a few core characters and gradually upped the frenzy, but they started with frenzy and have no where to go but down.

10. Satan says:

Forest Whitaker’s weird lazy eye thing really squicks me out.

11. jen says:

I watched CM:SB and decided to watch OTM online today. Next week I’ll switch. I tried to get as involved in CM:SB as much as CM, but just couldn’t. I’ll keep up with it online only because I hope it does get better and it gives me a bigger Garcia fix each week.

12. Rachel says:

I watched Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior last night, but I don’t think I will again. Very tepid, and too much like watching 2 Criminal Minds (proper) episodes in a row.

I hope Off the Map stays, though. I’ve been keeping up on DVR and I really like it!

13. AlistairCrane says:

Mr. Sunshine is not funny at all! The concept is interesting enough but I don’t think Matthew Perry’s role is likable enough to carry a series.
    I’m used to laughing out loud at Modern Family and Cougar Town but Mr. Sunshine didn’t even get a smile out of me last night (even though it has a nice tone/atmosphere).

14. Amy says:

Sorry, but Suspect Behavior was not good. I didn’t like the backdoor pilot they did last year but I decided to give it another shot and it was just as bad. Won’t be watching again.

15. Jenna says:

My problem is I can’t watch all the shows I enjoy at once.

Monday – House & PLL are on at the same, House wins.
    Tuesday – NCIS (of course nothing competes with that)
    Wednesday – Criminal Minds. CM2, L&O:SVU & Off the Map = same times
    Thursday – Bones & Grey’s=same time (Grey’s wins… mostly) & PP

Caught up on CM2 today & loved the episode! But L&O:SVU is my first love for Wed nights 10 time slot.

• emmey says:

Of course you can watch two that are aired at the same time just record one and then watch the other. Hence the name DVR.

16. Gen says:

I think people are too quick to judge CM:SB. I enjoyed the episode, but I think I need to watch it for a few more weeks to really get an opinion on it. I don’t know the team well enough to really judge them and if the cases stay good, I’ll probably keep watching. I wish it wasn’t on right after Criminal Minds though. I already have Survivor to watch too.

17. Kaiulani says:

Mr. Sunshine is not funny and I could only get through one week of Off The Map. My Wednesdays are Top Chef, Modern Family, Cougar Town and Being Erica.

18. Guy says:

I watched CM:SB and it was like watching a show in its mid season. Where was the intro to the characters? I hope this gets better because the cast is amazing but last night there was no gel. I will give it a couple of weeks but if it doesn’t improve a bit then its another new show i will flick.

Mr Sunshine is a joke. Its forced and i hate forced comedy. I didn’t laugh once at ep2. Ep1 was good but this one nup.

19. sharon swartzkopf says:

CNM:SB stinks. CM has lost a lot without JJ. Try Justified. Fantastic show and Olyphant is great.

20. Voice of Truth says:

I am a big fan of Criminal Minds, but this spinoff was totally bogus. The first scene (set in Cleveland) opens with the kidnapping of the little girl with mountains in the background. Assuredly, there are no mountain ranges in Cleveland. They could have spent a few more dollars and got it right.

21. benjamin says:

I won’t be watching the new criminal minds again. Can’t stand that nut job Garofolo.

22. Joanne says:

I wouldn’t watch Garofolo if I was paid to watch her.

23. Julie says:

I expect that a lot of “Criminal Minds” fans tuned into CM-Suspect Behavior to see what it was like. From what I’ve read a majority of people weren’t thrilled and more than likely won’t be tuning in again.

24. Phil says:

First, I was really bothered by the comment of Forest Whitaker’s eye. I think he is a great actor and people need to look past those types of statements. I mean not everyone looks like George Clooney. This being said, I enjoyed the spinoff but do not like Janeane and never have. Also, I think that the spinoff needed the trademark poetry of criminal minds. Those few lines at the beginning or end of Criminal Minds are a trademark of the show. So, I felt it was lazy not to keep it in the show. I like the show but definitely like the original a lot better. I will stay with it, though, because the show is good and I love Forest as an actor. I just think the surrounding cast is disappointing. I am hoping they find a way to change the supporting cast. I think Mr. Sunshine is great, though!

25. Denise says:

CM-SB is junk. The cast is flat and uninspired, and has no chemistry. I could have easily watched a quality spin-off, but this is not it. Probably the least appealing is Whitaker. Maybe if he were replaced with someone who could generate a little excitement, the show w/have a chance.

26. Larry R. Thompson says:

Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior……Has some good actors: just not on this series. Are you all competing with Forest Whitaker for “Drama Queen ” of night-time drama TV? You all are good actors, and yes I know ..F/W.. is an accademy award winner. The problem is he knows it and he has let the introduction of A/Award Winner Forest Whitaker go to his head. Just because he won an award for his one time performance in whatever does not make him the best actor for this part. The show could be good but the lines are lame and extremely obvious. You all seem to be competing to see who can be more serious and solem in your roles and reciting your lines. F/W is at the head of this class. If you don’ dump him and the lame writer of the first three episodes, you guys are going to fall by the wayside (probably to late). F/W you are not GOD’S gift to melo-drama. Climb down of you potium..scratch that…soap box…scratch that….orange crate and just act….and quit acting so fracking stupid!!!!! As for the rest of you guys, If I were You I would keep F/W out of the writers room. I think he has been sneaking in there behind your backs!

I dare you to contact me, and try to convince me that I am wrong!

P.S. If you could, watch the episode of “Two and a half men” where the ex-second wife got the job of acting on a TV show similar to CSI. She has a line asking her how is she going to process an almost impossible crime scene…..Her silly cliche line is ….I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO TAKE MY BEST STAB AT IT……That nis what you guys sound like!…..THE TRUTH…THE TRUTH…THE FRACKING TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!