Exclusive

Private Practice: Addison's Homecoming Is 'Powerful, Painful,' Says Shonda Rhimes

This Thursday on Private Practice (ABC, 10/9c), viewers will lay witness to the aftermath of the devastating blow dealt Addison (played by Kate Walsh) at the close of last week’s episode: that her mother, Bizzy, took her life in the wake of losing her wife Susan to cancer.

As one can imagine, “It’s a really powerful episode for Addison,” series creator Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine. Because while Ad mourns her mother and readies for the funeral back East in Connecticut, she’s also struggling to conceal — per Bizzy’s dying request — the circumstances of how her life ended. (“The truth… is too embarrassing,” the always proud Montgomery matriarch said in her suicide note.)

“Addison is keeping a secret at the same time as she’s dealing with [her loss],” Rhimes notes.

Exclusive: Audra McDonald To Exit Private Practice

Fortunately, though perhaps making the cover-up harder, Addison has a bevy of Oceanside Wellness friends on hand for the funeral, in addition to her father, The Captain (Stephen Collins), and brother Archer (Grant Show).

Private Practice ‘AddiSam’ Baby Talk from Shonda Rhimes

Back in her hometown and surrounded by others who were intimately aware of the family’s complicated relationships, “You get to see where Addison came from and what her life was like back then, in a lot of ways,” says Rhimes. All told, “It’s a really painful, interesting episode.”

Private Practice Exclusive: Shrink Role Fits ER Alum

Private Practice fans, are you looking forward to Kate Walsh tackling this material?

1. Jamie says:

Aw my poor Addie. I can’t wait for this episode. I have been waiting to see Addie’s childhood home for a long time. Kate Walsh is going to rock it.

2. Anna says:

YES!!! Hopefully a good storyline for Addison, it’s about time this season.

3. Sam says:

Ekkk, I’m excited too. Kate Walsh is brilliant at the heavy stuff (as well as the comedy). I’m really happy to see Archer again too.

4. Beth says:

Last week’s PP was heartbreaking with Addison finding Bizzy’s body. Addison has the most interesting family. I am looking forward to the Montgomery clan.
    I love Kate Walsh. She is an incredible actress.

5. Lisa says:

I’m sure Kate Walsh will be excellent, but she is wasted so often on this show (like most of the actors on it). I hope when PP ends (which can’t be beyond one more season) that Kate does more theater (she rocked Broadway last summer) and maybe a comedy. I love her sense of humor.

• sylvia says:

I honestly can’t WAIT for this show to get cancelled.

these brilliant actors have better-written ROLES and SCRIPTS waiting for them elsewhere.

i know a JOB is a JOB, but jeez you guys, don’t you even watch your own show?

wait.. i guess not.Kate walsh once said i think she doesn’t like watching herself… hmm. i get it.

don’t get me wrong, used to be such a fan. stopped somewhere when they decided to explore the sam-addison thing… too much gag reflex going on over there. this is what happens when you run out of ideas for your show and just throw in every single possible TABOO or shocking plot bunny to make it last several seasons.

if Kate Walsh didn’t star in this show, i honestly doubt it would’ve lasted more than 1 season. such a waste.

6. Fatbee says:

I’m looking forward to watching tonight’s episode, as painful as it’s going to be. We get to see what Addison’s childhood was like, it’s going to me amazing. Kate’s a brilliant actress, and seeing her go from the strong woman we all know to being so vulnerable and not being able to tell anyone- well, it’s going to be a good one. And Grant Show and Stephen Collins being present just makes it that much better.

7. Latoya says:

This is going to be the BEST episode yet! Allowing Kate Walsh to show her skills… FINALLY! And she’s brilliant, so I am excited for the heavy stuff, AND I’m excited to see the Addisam coupling working through it as a loving couple! It’s going to be hard! Only Sam can knock some sense into Addison and help her truly mourn and not try to hide it! :D

• adifferentblog says:

I wish a little addisam breakup while they working out this very sadmoment. in the preview/promo of the episode u can see that Addisam are about to enter the dramazone!

8. Dee says:

It is good they are tackling suicide. I am so happy Addie finally gets a storyline this season. I adore Kate! She is the only reason I watch PP.

9. Ingmar says:

PP keeps getting better and better with the seasons and I realy love Kate Walsh. So glad she is going to GA again this season for once, since I like her in both shows! Powerfull character.

10. ella says:

It’s about time Kate gets a good storyline, she has been wasted so far this season. It’s gonna be interesting, hopefully we’ll learn new things about Addie, about her childhood etc… Kate is a brilliant actress, she’s gonna rock this! And also yay for Stephen Collins and Grant Show! I love them both!

11. McHottie says:

Wahoooooooooo an Addie storyline!!!! I LOVE KATE! She is awesome!!!!

12. tabalamuledenis says:

i liked it

13. Nora says:

This sounds so good! I hope the episode won’t disappoint.
    Really looking forward to Kate Walsh’s acting.

14. Sara says:

Of course, Kate Walsh is an amazing actress. Addie is the best character on TV.
    Great they are exploring more of Addie’s family!

15. Svenja says:

I am really looking forward to tonight’s episode.
    It’s a very delicate topic, but I think Kate Walsh will rock this episode.
    PP keeps getting better…
    Shonda kinda decides to go for topics that are usually social taboos

16. Jenna says:

Love Addison! Can’t wait to see it! Will Derek be there?

17. If this were true to life, Derek, Mark and some of her friends from Seattle would be there. Sadly, I doubt this will be the case.

18. 1. i think this should be a crossover episode, i can’t imagine Derek not being there.

2. I would have loved Derek to be there and see how he reacts to AddiSam. my bet: derek will be happy for Addi because he likes and respect Sam, he knows the guy is upstanding and all that, but he will be worried for Sam, because he knows that addi knows how to screw-up relationship!

• Marie says:

Umm, Derek screwed up their marriage too. He even said so. Why do people forget they were happily married for 13 years before it ended!

• Yeah i know Dereck had some responsability but he knows Addi and he cares about Sam and when he gets the news i am pretty sure if he wil be worried about Sam and if he has Addi in front of him, he would tell her to not hurt Sam.

• Genevieve Mbamalu says:

yeah i think Dereck is so way over Addi, he would have no problem with her and sam together, he might worry about Naomi and would advise addi to not screw things up!

19. I hope this episode is the begining of the end for AddiSam. Fav couple of mine but too many happy couples out there, i need some Drama, now that coop and chaloette are out of the drama zone, let’s throw AddiSam right in the middle of the drama zone!

• Jamie says:

They can have drama and still be together.

• pookie says:

i think so too, Charlotte & Cooper had major drama and still together. Plus it’s not like it as easy for Sam & Adi to be together, they have earned it. Shonda will throw a lot of things at them bot to break them up, but to well deal with it as a loving couple

20. Teresa Yanire says:

My favorite show, but I often fall asleep mid-stream because I get up early. This why I would like to see it now that I am awake. Thanks. T.

21. sylvia says:

wow, just stumbled upon this headline and.. this show still exists. i’m impressed. i admit i used to watch this but the writers try too hard to be shocking and unpredictable, it all becomes predictable.

try it. just think of the worst thing that could happen to your favorite character. it’s gonna happen. this is a sad show run by a writer or bunch of writers who seem to think it’s all one big writers/directors workshop. no real character growth here. you’re all wasting your time watching. not happy with how your character or current fave “ship” is on this show? it’s time to wake up: they will never be happy on a shonda rhimes show. after 4 seasons it should be apparent now. especially those fans of addison? she will always be mopey and depressing. thought you’d see a much different addison from season 1? guess what: no. she’s gotten a lot more difficult to tolerate, in fact. and she’s with her best friend’s husband now! yes, what a shocker.

do yourself a favor and move on like i did. so many OTHER brilliant shows much more deserving of your time and attention.