Kiefer Sutherland Eyes Return to TV With Fox Pilot From Heroes Creator Tim Kring

Kiefer Sutherland is mulling a return to prime time with another Fox series.

The 24 star is in negotiations to topline Touch, a drama pilot from Heroes creator Tim Kring. Produced, like 24, by 20th Century Fox TV, Touch centers on a father (the role Sutherland has been offered) who discovers that his autistic, mute son can predict events before they happen.

24‘s Annie Wersching Cops Lead Role In ABC Pilot

Kring wrote the project on spec, his first pilot script since Heroes. Charles McDougall, who has helmed the pilots for ABC’s Desperate Housewives, CBS’ The Good Wife and, most recently, Fox’s The Chicago Code, is in talks to direct.

Lost‘s Michael Emerson Reunites With J.J. Abrams In CBS Pilot Person Of Interest

Complicating matters, however, are Sutherland’s duties on Broadway, where he currently stars in a revival of Jason Miller’s That Championship Season. The play, which marks Sutherland’s Broadway debut, opened last week.

Sutherland, repped by CAA and Management 360, spent eight seasons on 24 playing CTU agent Jack Bauer. It became his signature role and earned him an Emmy Award in 2006.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. Brett says:

Too soon. He needs to do the ’24’ movie before committing to another FOX drama…

2. AJ says:

Oh gurlfrand, that would be CAREER SUICIDE. Just ask anyone not named Zachary Quinto.

• rebecca says:

Yes, they are all doing horribly. Oh wait, Greg Grunberg and Sendhil Ramamurthy have their own shows.

Oh yes, Kring is obviously a career wrecker.

• Joe B. says:

Sendhil is a tertiary lead on a cable show (a cable show that stars Piper Perabo, youch) and Greg Grunberg lost his NBC series and has had to go to his secondary, an A&E pilot where he plays a “plus-sized” (their words, not mine) detective, so those careers aren’t soaring, either.

I’ll tell you, though, it was less than a year ago that Kiefer was getting tossed from a London strip club without his shirt on and given the gravity of the problems of an old pal of his who seems to like to party also it would give me pause.

3. Satan says:

Tim Kring? Somebody is giving this doofus money/a job? Did they ever WATCH Hereos? That man should not be allowed to work in show business.

• Steven says:

To be fair he also created Crossing Jordan which was amazing from beginning to end and Heroes was good for the first season.

• Satan says:

Oh yeah, Crossing Jordan. Didn’t watch it. Oh wait, neither did anyone else. Still, Tim Kring should be barred from television, Heroes is unforgivable. It’s a clear illustration of Epic Scale Poor Judgement.

• Christine says:

Agree. Crossing Jordan was an awesome show and I actually enjoyed Heroes for the 1st season as well. I do hope KS returns soon…Im too broke to go to broadway and he is sooooo handsome.

4. Jules says:

But will he get to torture people with household appliances?

5. Omer says:

I wish 24 Will continue

6. Clay says:

I was happy to see that Kiefer Sutherland is returning to primetime TV until I saw Tim Kring’s name.

• fenwic says:

Ditto. I actually loved Season 1 “Heroe”s and then…

Also, I’ve got a front row ticket to “That Championship Season” on Broadway, and while the other actors are wonderful, I only bought it to see Kiefer :|

7. Stupidest Idea Ever. says:

Seriously, a boy with Autism who can predict future events? Get freaking real! I work with kids w/ special needs (Autism) and this is most laughable, implausible, piece of crap idea I’ve heard of! And coming from Tim (you messed up Heroes, BIG TIME) Kring) – whatever!

It’ll barely survive the Pilot the ep.

• Amber says:

Odds are, the way the character will be played will be offensive or just really really annoying. Some shows have had success portraying individuals with special needs. This does not sound promising. I suspect a basic procedural with the twist that we can see what will happen from within this kid’s mind. Their continued attempts to guess what is going on and communicate with this child have the potential to either really poorly portray autistic children, or be really annoying as a plot device. Either way, even though I love Sutherland, I suspect I’ll be tuning out.

8. C C says:

This is a joke. The premise sounds like it was inspired by the last episode of St. Elsewhere. Remember Tommy Westphall and the snow globe?

9. Joseph says:

Fox is producing a series about an autistic boy who can predict the future. How about a show where cancer allows you to fly? Lest anyone think I’m overreacting (as the parent of an autistic girl) know that intelligent, well-meaning people ask me if my daughter can count cards like “Rainman.” So many know so little about autism. It’s a difficult, sometimes impossible life. How dare Fox serve it up with crime solving, predicting the future and other such nonsense? People need to tell them to knock it off; this is real, not the stuff of their fantasy factory.