Gossip Girl Star Blasts Taylor Momsen's Critics, Hints at Jenny's Return

Gossip Girl‘s Connor Paolo has a message for critics of his embattled costar Taylor Momsen: Pick on someone your own size.

“She’s 17 years-old,” Paolo harrumphs. “I don’t think anyone has any right to say anything negative being that she — as mature and self-possessed as she is — is still young. It’s not fair. No one has a right to attack someone of that age.”

Although Paolo didn’t single out any particular Momsen detractor, her most high-profile critic of late has been Project Runway‘s Tim Gunn. This fall, Heidi Klum’s ubiquitous sidekick — coming off of a guest stint in which he played mentor to Momsen’s Jenny — blasted the actress for her lack of professionalism on the set. The Pretty Reckless singer has also drawn fire for her barely-there wardrobe choices and expletive-laced tirades against the likes of Miley Cyrus. All this comes as Momsen’s screen time on Gossip Girl has decreased significantly; despite still being billed as a series regular, Jenny has been seen in just four episodes this season.

“I miss her dearly,” Paolo confesses. “I try to see her as much as I can, and make it to [as many of her] shows as I can. She’s one of my best friends. It sucks not having her around.”

And while it remains unclear when (or if) Momsen will return to the Upper East Side, Paolo insists she’s still part of the show. “Jenny’s always lying in wait,” he says with a chuckle. “She could pop out of the bushes with her machete of eyeliner at any time.”

1. Carina says:

What he doesn’t get is that we are blasting her BECAUSE she’s 17. Her wardrobe, actions, and behavior are clearly inappropriate for someone her age (and frankly, for almost anyone of any age.) Where are this girl’s parents?

• Kris says:

But at the same time, you are blasting a young girl who is growing up and figuring out who she is, that’s not right. Obviously this crazy persona is not her. There’s a reason it only came about after she formed her rock group. The best thing you can do for her is leave her alone.

• LP says:

Compare Taylor Momsen to Selena Gomez, for example, and then try to justify how ridiculous she is.

• r0ckmypants says:

Or we could compare her to Demi Lovato, who was in rehab just a few months after turning 18. Taylor Momsen has a foul mouth, but I don’t see anyone getting on Lovato’s case for going to rehab for cutting herself. Which is the more destructive behavior: having a foul mouth or self mutilation?

• LP says:

Comparing bad behavior is a strange choice. Both of these girls seem to be acting out and hopefully get some help for it. But you know the old cliche that two wrongs don’t make a right- it’s not better or more valid somehow that two different teen actresses have serious problems, it’s worse.

• Alyssa says:

I completely agree. There are plenty of talented young girls out there that are much more mature than her. Ones that know how to be a good role model and why that is important. If part of Taylor growing up and finding her identity means acting like a spoiled brat and dressing like a gothic hooker then maybe she doesn’t need to be in the spotlight or given anymore acting roles or record deals.

2. Ashlee says:

Ohhh Cindy Lou Who, what has become of you?!

3. Sadie says:

I won’t be posting under my real e-mail address until I stop seeing other people’s names and e-mail addresses come up automatically! Seriously, get it together TVLine!

• Esaul says:

I have sent a couple of emails to TVLine pertaining to that. I was even once logged under as Matt before, which I also emailed about. Kinda buggy, and I don’t feel all too comfortable commenting on here anymore.

• Kate says:

I have had the same thing happen, but I have a separate email address I use specifically for sites like this when I’m not sure why they are asking for it in the first place! That way I can use the sites, but I don’t ever worry about compromising my main address.

4. Matilda says:

That’s sweet of him! Didn’t know they were good friends. I’m one of the few who actually miss Jenny, hope she’ll be back.

5. b says:

Plenty of teen actors manage to behave professionally on the job and not make fools of themselves while not at work.

6. Alex says:

I hope she doesn’t!!!

7. Jo says:

Funny, Taylor said she doesn’t have any real friends on set and they’re more like colleages.

• Kris says:

She said she’s not close with her cast but she may have meant as a whole. Clearly she’s tight with Connor and I know she’s close with Penn.

8. Showstopper says:

First, let me just say that I FREAKING LOVE Taylor Momsen. LOVE! I think she’s doing what any other 17 year old goes through at her age. I’m sorry but I find it so hard to believe that no one has done or acted the way she is at that age. she’s freaking 17. She’s figuring out who she is and I’m sorry this is America. She’s not hurting anyone, not doing drugs, not committing any crimes, so let her be!

Most teenagers go through this phase and come out of just fine! She’s talented and doing what she loves and eventually she’ll play a show in the winter and realize maybe she should wear a jacket! LOL!!

Let’s hold off judgments until later! Look at Drew Barrymore. Prime example. And she turned out just fine.

P.S. I saw her in concert just recently and she KILLED IT! AMAZING!

• Esaul says:

Just want to say thank you for that. Taylor Momsen is amazing and people overreact way too much, just because she’s a celebrity. There are a lot of teenage girls who dress the same exact way, have the same sort of attitude, but we don’t scrutinize them because they aren’t under the spotlight. And who do we blame for their actions and the way they dress? The celebrities of course.

• dylan says:

do you not think though, that maybe those teenage girls who aren’t in the spotlight, dress and act the way they do BECAUSE of people like taylor momsen? i’m not saying it’s right, but celebrities and people in the spotlight have so much attention surrounding them (because we seem to be in the generation where pop culture is king,) that kids and teens especially look up to these people and want to try to emulate them. i know that being a teenager is is no easy thing, and everybody has to go through that journey of self discovery, but, if you choose to do a job, which makes you into a public figure, surely you have a moral obligation to your audience to at least try and set a good example. i’m not saying she should be an angel, but most of the things she has said and done has been to deliberately shock people. and if that is the case, you can’t be upset if you get a backlash from people. you have to be able to take it if you dish it out.

• Esaul says:

I see your point, but I’m respectfully disagreeing with it. Why should she have an obligation? All because she’s a celebrity and talented? I’m sorry, but that’s just not good enough. She is just a teenager, she can live just a bit regardless of the spotlight being on her. I personally think it’s a lot to ask for someone, especially someone her age, and this includes even Miley Cyrus, whom I don’t like, to do. They didn’t ask to be someone’s role model. And also, teenagers choose who their role models are to begin with, that is something we can control. If they want to dress and act as Taylor Momsen, or Miley Cyrus, so be it. But do not blame the actress for how someone turns out to be. Now, if she was under a different light, and say she was older and chose to be a political figure, then sure, this would be a different conversation all together. But you’re right when you say she doesn’t have to be an angel, so why should people expect her to be one?

• dylan says:

you’re right, it is a lot to ask of someone, that’s why if you decide to have a career in this industry, you have to be prepared for that. she is not the first teen star to come along and i’m sure she won’t be the last. she’s a smart girl and i’m sure she’s well aware of the fact that she is in a position of responsibility when it comes to her peers. after all, gossip girl is a show primarily aimed at girls her age, and it is common sense that if you show is successful, it means those girls are watching. the more success she has, the more famous she becomes, the more teenagers know who she is, the more the masses will want to be like her. thats how it works, and has been working like that long before she came along, and will probably continue long after shes gone. she’s not stupid, i’m sure she’s knows all of this, and acts the way she does in spite of it. i think she believes that the controversial she is, the better, because as the saying goes- all publicity is good publicity.
            i would like to know where her parents/guardians are in all this. like connor says, she’s only 17. i really do think she’s talented, and it would be a shame to see her go the route of those before her. i don’t want her to end up being just another britney/lindsey/courtney, but i fear that’s the way she’s heading.

9. AlistairCrane says:

Like Taylor, Jessalyn is a credited series regular on Glee but has only appeared in three episodes this season. What gives?

10. Kelly says:

Musically and as an actress I like Taylor. But I can also see why people worry for her and someone so young. If she doesn’t find her way, I see the next Courtney Love in the making.

• Showstopper says:

I completely disgree. Courtney Love was partying all night long and into drugs. We’ve yet to see any of that behavior from Taylor. She’s just foul mouthed with an interesting style who loves what she does — singing! Just let her sing! If you don’t like it, don’t watch!

11. Jenny says:

I don’t understand why people use her age to excuse her behavior. I know plenty of people who never even came close to acting the way she does when they were 17. I never behaved like that, mostly because I’m an older sister and I have to set an example for my sisters but also because I didn’t feel it was necessary to prove something. But I bring up my sisters because that’s another point, she is being watched not only by people who care about her but also many young girls and so yes I feel she should be more diplomatic in the way she presents herself to these girls. I don’t care if she doesn’t want to be a role model, you never actually choose to be.

I respect Connor for defending his friend, but I can’t agree that Taylor shouldn’t be judged because of her age. We are always judged for our age but more importantly for our actions.

• allie says:

Totes agree!! Just because you are 17 doesn’t make it ok to be a terrible person! And you know what, she is in the public eye because she made the CHOICE to be there. Being in the public eye automatically means that you can’t run around cussing like a sailor and tearing down other people and still expect your viewers to like you! On top of all that about Taylor, I can’t stand Jenny Humphrey. She can die in the river for all I care. Actually killing on Jenny might actually bring some like to Dan and his deadbeat ways.

• Showstopper says:

I completely disagree with both of you. People have the right to choose who they look up to. If young girls are looking up to Taylor Momsen it’s because they want to. She didn’t make them. If girls look up to Selena. It’s because they want to. I’m sorry but teenagers know right from wrong. However they choose to blame it on celebrities or their age. NOPE! It’s the parents. You should get your sense of direction from your family, friends and the people around you because let’s face it we all know celebrity life is all for media and publicity. Half of these people live normal lives but because they choose to follow their dreams they have to try and live for the world. NOPE! WRONG! I’m sorry just because you decided to be an actor that’s make you obligated to do anything other than act. Yeah, a big part of being a “celebrity” is one thing but that doesn’t mean you have to be who America wants you to be. That’s a choice you make and once you make that choice it’s too late to go back. Taylor is making the choice to live her life the way she wants and I commend her for that. If you don’t like her, don’t follow her career. Don’t talk about her and don’t let you kids watch her. It’s that simple. Control your kids, teach them right from wrong or let them make their own decisions and figure it out for themselves which is what a lot of the teen stars are doing.

12. Bliss says:

She’s a bit crazy and lives her life on the edge but you have to ask why do people do these sorts of things to begin with? Is it merely wanting to be different and not wanting to be like everyone else? Does she have some serious parental issues that she’s not comfortable with facing so she “acts out”. Whatever the case, I used to judge her but these days I’m just like whatever, that’s her and that’s how she wants to be perceived so I just accept. Besides she’s almost 18. She can do whatever she wants. I don’t agree with older female adults doing sex scenes in movies either in order to cater to males but they do! What are you going to do about it? I guess just not like it!

13. Erin says:

You know, someone here pointed out that this girl wears revealing clothes and is way too young to do that. I couldn’t help but think about the people who say at 30 I should stay away from those some clothes and just keep it covered up, because I’m too old to show that much skin. So when is it okay to wear revealing clothes? When does a girl get to show off her body and enjoy being scandalous? Why not in her late teens? This kid smokes and curses and dresses inappropriately, and I’m thrilled by it. This is a teenager. They are far from perfect. They ARE NOT role models! Every teen that they have tried to turn into a role model has gotten into much much worse trouble because they try to assert their independence and rebel without anyone knowing about it, because they are told they can’t be human. This makes them completely eff up their lives. Let’s enjoy the teens acting like teens.

14. ming says:

I DONT LIKE TAYLOR MOMSEN AT ALL!!!!!!!!

15. I consider, that you are not right. I suggest it to discuss. Write ti me in PM, we will communicate.