Scoop: TV's New Wonder Woman Is Friday Night Lights' Adrianne Palicki

Here’s a piece of casting news that can only — especially given the situation — be described as super: Friday Night Lights beauty Adrianne Palicki has been tapped to star as Wonder Woman in the much-talked about pilot for NBC, TVLine has learned.

Executive-produced and penned by veteran small-screen auteur David E. Kelley (Boston Legal, Ally McBeal), TV’s new Wonder Woman will have Palicki playing no less than three “roles”:
• The titular crimefighter, “reinvented” here as an L.A.-based vigilante
• Alter ego No. 1: Diana Themyscira, a mega-billionaire CEO
• Alter ego No. 2: Diana’s “plain Jane” assistant, Diana Prince. (Good luck with that one, makeup and wardrobe!)

Other key players to be cast for Wonder Woman include Steve Trevor (now a lawyer for the Justice Department and a onetime paramour of Diana T.’s); Themyscira Industries’ press secretary, Mindy; and Veronica Cale, an eeeevil scientist poised to be WW’s primary adversary.

But back to Palicki: In addition to of course her run as Tyra on the acclaimed Friday Night Lights, this past fall she was one of two female leads on Fox’s lauded but short-lived Lonestar drama. Most recently, she (quite colorfully) guest-starred on Criminal Minds.

I’ll also point out that, according to IMDb as well as the way she towered over me at TCA, Palicki is 5-foot-11, making her sufficiently “Amazonian” in presence.

Oh, and there’s this: Not one hour after the Palicki news got out, that 1970s Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter, tweeted her approval: “Congratulations, Adrianne!”

Bill D’Elia (Boston Legal) is also an executive producer on Wonder Woman, while Jeffrey Reiner (The Event) will direct the pilot.

So, don’t leave us Wonder-ing: Does Palicki get a thumbs-up from you for this iconic role?

1. shanemd says:

Perfect choice. Too bad the show is gonna suck.

2. Katie says:

Okay, they officially have my attention. This is really great news!

• Nicole says:

I’ve been pretty much ignoring WW talk since it started, and now I’m officially interested. Palicki is fantastic. Now, if they could cast James Wolk, her co-star from Lonestar, in some role, even better. That guy needs to be back on television asap. He seems like he’d be perfect for that Steve Trevor role.

3. Alan says:

Like her a lot.
    But Wonder Woman?????
    Not so much

4. Erin says:

I’m not familiar with her, but she looks the role and she’s not one of these annoying other actresses whose names keep getting tossed around, so fine by me…I was REALLY scared that someone awful would get the part and ruin it. I spent hours spinning in circles wearing my Wonder Woman Underoos as a child, so this is very important to me!

5. chase says:

Yes yes yes

6. 80sfan says:

I can see her in the role. Thumbs up from me!

7. Aileen says:

I don’t see her fitting the role.

• forrest says:

I’m obviously not up on the new ‘updated’ storyline in Los Angeles, but I always pictured Wonder Woman based in New York or Washington DC. As far as the ‘corporate’ identity – sounds like Michael Douglas’ Wall Street to me. “Mega-Billionair” ? – C’mon we already have Bruce Wayne Billionair and Tony Stark Billionair, why Wonder Woman? It’s gonna take a lot to appeal or modify my first impression.

8. Charissa says:

Don’t forget, once upon a time she also played Sam Winchester’s girlfriend Jess on Supernatural.

9. AWMc says:

hmmmm… shes beautiful…but ill have to wait and see. I personally still want Bridget Reagan for the role…

10. woohoo says:

doesn’t Palicki have a wonder woman tattoo already???

11. Slappy san says:

Thank goodness they didn’t get some tiny actress. Not sure about the changes to the mythos though.

12. David says:

Would love to see Jon Tenney cast as Steve Trevor opposite Palicki!!

13. virgilsdiner says:

LOVE this choice. HATE this concept. I know I’m prejudging unfairly and it may very well turn out great, but this feels like Wonder Woman in name only. Why does she have two alter-egos? Why? So we can have Three’s Company/Mrs. Doubtfire-like antics when she has to jump between her two “Diana” personae? Yech… Still, nice casting!

• Jenn says:

I agree wholeheartedly with you. As an actress, I feel like she’s a fine choice, but as a concept…not too excited for this. Yes, we’re prejudging, but we’re also probably right. Which is really too bad.

14. sweetiepie1019 says:

Love her, and love the idea of her as Wonder Woman. I haven’t had a lot of confidence in the idea so far – especially with the triple identity thing, that’s worse than the Clark Kent glasses – but this casting choice makes me a little more optimistic.

15. Carrie D says:

Jessica Moore, Sam Winchesters lost love. Palicki is awesome in everything she tries her hand at, she will nail this, hope to see her in more Supernatural in the future too.

16. Nick N says:

Hell yes! Great new all around!

17. Syvyn11 says:

Great choice. Now cast Mariksa Hargitay as her mother, Hippolyta.

18. Tucker says:

She’s got a lot of genre behind her (Smallville‘s “fake” Kara, Supernatural‘s Jess, the Aquaman/Mercy Reef pilot’s Siren, the movie Legion), but Tyra as Wonder Woman? I get the height but not sure about her presence for the role yet.

19. Matthew Sourwine says:

I love Adrianne, but I am not sure if she can pull off playing all three of the characters. I was really hoping the would cast a complete unknown for this iconic role. I wish her luck. I will still be watching the show.

20. Joker-El says:

She was in Smallville!!!

21. William Howell says:

I don’t like her in the role. Why waste our time?

22. Christine says:

HELL YEAH!!! This is AWESOME!!!!

23. Poonkie says:

Definitely not my choice of actress and I’m worried about the three personae. I’m much less interested than I was before.

24. MPJ says:

Here’s the biiig problem. This show, despite its David E. Kelley moniker, will be supported by Fanboys of the Comic Book variety. At some point in this show, David E. Kelley will make the show about his fascinatin’ supporting characters, and gradually lose interest in the central character, Wonder Woman. (We’ve seen this in Ally McBeal, wasn’t Boston Legal all about his supporting characters from the Practice, and aren’t we watching this happen right now in Harry’s Law…slightly off topic, but has the main character “Harriet” moved past her desk in the last three episodes?)

When you can’t get at least a look at your title character, the fanboys are gonna lose interest, and the show will crash and burn. Can someone please get a note to David E. Kelley that it might be nice to have Wonder Woman featured in his Wonder Woman TV show?

• StaceyRad says:

While I agree with the sentiment that WW should be in the show, I disagree with you about the fanboys. I’m editor-in-chief of a comic/movie/toy/tv review site, and I have a lot of contacts in the comics community. The general consensus that I’ve encountered is that Kelley’s involvement and the news we’ve heard about how the story is being handled, are a step in the wrong direction. It sounds like it’s going to be Wondy McBeal to the Nth degree.

25. Nicole says:

Aw man. I was really excited about Wonder Woman. Now I probably won’t watch. Adrianne bugs me.

26. NikkiHolly says:

Unexpected, but great choice. pleasant surprise. I love her, but I’m still not sure about how the show will work. I’ll tune in to see though.

27. Trekflower says:

Diana a millionaire CEO?!?! It is Wonder Woman, not Bruce Wayne and Batman. The actress fits Wonder Woman, Now just don’t screw it up.

28. Princess Diana says:

There are more talented actress that could fill the role. I’m not a fan so I won’t be watching

29. Peter says:

I can live with it. Dunno if she would be in my top five but she’s got some decent acting chops and with that height she’s not too tall or too short, plus she looks good with dark hair. I think its pretty much just down to general physique, but that’s also been something people tend not to agree on.

30. Kevin says:

Poor girl. I am sure she would fit the role..5’11” stunning, athletic, good actress. BUT the premise SUCKS David!!! Not one but 3 identities? Mini planes instead of invisible jet? A team of young people helping her, like her own Scooby Squad? Clean this up before it is too late!

31. Michelle says:

I love Adrianne, but unless David overhauls – and I mean, OVERHAULS – that script/concept, this show is going to SUCK. It’s Wonder Woman for pete’s sake! The Amazon princess who can go toe to toe with Superman and Batman! She’s not some whiny brat who pines for some lost love. BTW, WTF?

32. AlistairCrane says:

Congrats to Adrianne and all, but this show is NOT Wonder Woman. I’m a big comics fan and I’ll be avoiding this show at all costs.

33. bd says:

It’s interesting to compare this woman’s age with the ages of the men playing Wolverine, Iron Man, Green Lantern and Batman. Anyhow, good luck to her.

34. Ella says:

UGH. I wish Charisma Carpenter had gotten this :( She would have been perfect.

35. Slyfoxx says:

Like most TV remake these days…this one will FAIL!

36. christina says:

go tyra go!

37. Kady says:

I wasn’t aware Adrianne was even in the running for this. All I’d read was that fellow Supernatural actress, Traci Dinwiddie (Pamela Barnes) was wanting the role, and was getting a lot of fan support.

Adrianne is a fine actress, and I’m sure she can handle the part well. We’ll see what happens.

38. XK says:

I think she is a good choice for the role, but worry that the show itself, (quite apart from her), will be drek. Guess we’ll see!

39. Melody says:

She was amazing on the recent Criminal Minds ep and I always loved her guests spots as Jessica on Supernatural. I’m sure she’ll do great!!

40. Anna says:

I always felt Wonder Woman should be more classy.

41. J.P. says:

No spin, no show.

42. jabz says:

Boo!!! She don’t fit the character…

43. Absolutely a great casting decision. 5 feet 11 inches of WONDER. Just great.

44. Kevin says:

3 roles??!?!? Sorry but this will fail. It will make the show “too busy” which will take the focus off of the main character which will cause interest in the show to drop.
    Stinks since we’ve all been waiting so long for this show to develope and THIS is what we get…..

45. Ashley says:

Not someone I’d thought of before, but she’s definitely got the smarts, strength, and presence to pull the role off.

46. jason says:

There is no market for super hero shows and I reckon there hasn’t been since the mid/late 70’s.

When you try to be too clever such as in this case, changing the entire mythos into some street vigilante in LA is just too shocking to remember.

Too many remakes and too many reimagings are going on here..it needs to stop right now. These writers are paid huge salaries, but their work is beyond dire.

The Cape has been rather unfairly criticized of late and it’s lost quite a few viewers since it’s premiere. So much so, that the network had to reduce it’s current season from 20 episodes to just 10. I really didn’t think it was such a bad show, not the greatest but not the worst, of which there are plenty.

Id rather watch the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman than this trash being dreamed up

• XGatorHead 8904 says:

“There is no market for super hero shows and I reckon there hasn’t been since the mid/late 70′s.”

Smallville???? If there was on market for superhero show since the 70’s, how has this show lasted 10 seasons?

Sure, Heroes, The Cape and No Ordinary Family haven’t exactly lived up to expectations, but Wonder Woman is an established character.

I like the casting choice, I loved her in Supernatural, FNL and Criminal Minds. Even though I’m a David E. Kelley fan, I think he’s the wrong person to head up this show and I really hope he doesn’t ruin it. I’ll reserve final judgment until I actually see the show.

47. Liz says:

I’m surprisingly happy about this casting. She even guest stared on Smallville in the early years. She was the fake Kara that brought Clark to the cave to start his training with Jor-El. She’s gorgeous, tall, and I know she can act. I’m most unsure about this whole corporate Diana and her having 3 identities. Still would love for the Smallville producers to come in and take a stab at the script before they shoot this thing.

48. Bob says:

Eh, they could have done worse. But as others have said, I’m not sure if this project is going to succeed. Maybe they’ll luck out and it’ll turn into another Smallville. Ten years ago, some were saying the same things about that show “sucking” compared to Dean Cain’s Superman.

49. Jake says:

It won’t last…it’s on “NBC”…the cancel all the good stuff network.

50. Alex M says:

It’s a shame really, since it’s NBC and their reboots/comic book inspired shows have been abysmal failures… (Including any season of Heroes .. yes I said it) let’s see how long this lasts.