Michael Vick Scraps Appearance on Oprah

Just two days after announcing plans to appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show, controversial NFL star Michael Vick abruptly pulled out of the interview Wednesday.

Don Halcombe, a spokesman for Winfrey’s Harpo Productions, confirmed the cancellation, saying: “Michael Vick was scheduled to be a guest on The Oprah Winfrey show for an episode airing next Thursday, February 24. Mr. Vick’s representative called last night to cancel his appearance for personal reasons.”

And that’s about as in-depth as the explanation goes. “After careful consideration, I will need to postpone the taping of the Oprah Winfrey interview scheduled for February 22,” Vick said in his own statement, obtained by PhillySportsDaily.com. “I admire and respect Oprah and hope to be able to participate in an interview in the future.”

A spokesman for the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback echoed the sentiment, but noted that his client “does not have a reschedule date at this time” to sit down with the Queen of Daytime.

The sitdown with Winfrey would have have been Vick’s first high-profile forum to discuss his dog-fighting past, which resulted in a 21-month prison term.

And so, that $300 Vick-centric bet between Piers Morgan and Oprah Winfrey lives on…

What do you think about Michael Vick’s sudden change of heart?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Miller says:

I think it’s a good thing that Michael Vick DID NOT play football at the University of Miami. On Monday, I met a fellow american bulldog parent, that told me that his dog was sent to him from Pennsylvania, by some football player named Michael Vick. Oh, and I think that, despite the set back, that Opera person will still go on to be a big success.

2. Pat says:

I think it is a good thing he didn’t appear on Oprah…Look what happended to Michael Jackson and many others who have taken that route…Michael Vick doesn’t need Oprah….He needs a good literary agent and a good book deal and he can tell his story when he’s ready…Good luck Michael on the 2011-2012 football season…I can’t wait to see you play…God is with you…

• Nicole says:

Chris Brown fan too? Yeah, I thought so. Why is god always with the jackholes?

• Evonne Dixon says:

I strongly agree with this line of thinking. Why relive the nightmare,he did is time, he is back on track, let him get on with his life.
      OPrah need to leave this alone, there are so many things at the moment she can focus on rather than negatives in peoples life.

Let he who hat no mistakes in life cast the first stone.

Good for you Michael Vike, in are in your moment dont let anyone steal it now.

God is our only judge and will reward.

Love, peace and joy to the world.

3. Bob says:

Well, if he waits too long, there won’t be an Oprah show. My guess is Piers really wants to win that bet, so he called Vick’s agent and made a sweeeeet proposal. Details at 11:00.

4. Laurel says:

Vick can’t face Oprah the dog lover with a hardcore hot seat.
    Personally he makes me sick.
    I don’t care how many football games he wins.

5. Malcom says:

I’m so glad that everyone in the world is so perfect that they can look down on someone who’s made mistakes.

Ridiculous hypocrites aside, it’s a good thing he did back out of the interview. It would’ve been a pointless interview where he would never be able to tell his story. It’s basically bait to be completely vilified on tape while you have to sit there and play it cool on national TV. What good would come of that? Having a fair and rational interview is completely out of the question. Good for Vick, imo.

• Nicole says:

This is totally pointless, but I’ve seen this “everyone is a hypocrite who acts like they’ve never made mistakes” argument a lot lately about people like Vick and Chris Brown. It’s really a terrible argument. To accept it, you have to be willing put all mistakes on the same level, which I think we can all agree they are not. Have I made mistakes? Many. I’ve made at least three today I’m sure. But have I ever made the mistake of beating the living sh!t out of someone? No. Have I ever made the mistake of torturing animals for profit? No. Of course everyone makes mistakes – that’s a given. But most people manage to avoid the kind of mistakes that make them a monster. Not every mistake is the kind you can walk away from unscathed, learn a lesson from and move on. Some you have to pay for for a very long time, and people may never forgive you for them, and that’s their right.

• kat says:

Very well said Nicole. He didn’t even make the more common mistake of a DUI. He killed his first dog at the age of 8 years old and testified about a high he got from it. He did not just run a dogfighting ring for money. He personally spoke of knocking all of a female’s teeth out before tying her to a rape stand for mating. And then killing her by slamming her into the ground repeatedly. And putting his own kids’ pets in the ring as bait. Killing his kids’ pets to warm up the fighting dogs. A lifetime of incomprehensible cruelty is not a mistake, it’s a sociopath, given millions of dollars because he can throw a ball, with no regard to what else those hands have done for the last 20 years. And the reason he can’t have a rational conversation- he has admitted he is not sorry and would still be doing it if not caught. It was not his decision but his handlers who know they are dealing with a monster.

• Tara says:

Nicole, you’re absolutely right. This is the thought that screams through my head every time someone talks about Vick getting his ‘life back on track’. He doesn’t deserve a pat on the back for that…

6. jay says:

Whoa….he said no to Oprah??? How dare he?? Oprah will find you Mike Vick!!! Oh yes…she will. And she will end you!!!

7. Jeri says:

Ha ha! Oprah will be enraged! How dare anyone blow off the mighty OOPS. (How she sees herself.)