HBO's Lady Gaga Special: Will You Watch?

Get More: News, Spring TV Preview

HBO will host quite the little monsters mash when five-time Grammy winner Lady Gaga headlines her first solo concert special on Saturday, May 7.

Lady Gaga aka Stefani Germanotta “is the single most exciting music talent on the scene today,” HBO Entertainment president Sue Naegle said in announcing the event. “We’re especially thrilled that she’ll be creating unique new elements for the special that will make the show an even more memorable experience for our viewers.”

Ratings: Grammys Hit An 11-Year High Note

Gaga’s concert special will tape February 21 and 22, when Madison Square Garden sets the stage for her “Monster Ball Tour.”

Lady Gaga’s next album, Born This Way, is set for release May 23. Her debut disc, The Fame, earned two Grammy Awards and spawned five No. 1 hits, while the follow-up, The Fame Monster, netted three Grammys this past weekend. Oh, and she sometimes travels the red carpet in a giant egg.

Lady Gaga Gives Glee the OK for “Born This Way”

Will you be tuning in for HBO’s Lady Gaga concert special?

Tags: ,

Comments (53)

Comment by Kim R – February 15, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded.

Comment by Kay – February 15, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes yes yes! I will be there (on HBO not at the garden unfortunately)

Comment by Daniel – February 15, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by jabz – February 15, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEVER…

Comment by nicole – February 15, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m tired of Gaga. She is overrated. People care more about her silly image than her music. Her new song is awful, yet people are buying it, which proves my point.

Comment by AlistairCrane – February 15, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you should know how influential her music is (way more than her image) and a great spoke person for many important issues. Overated? Maybe you can’t see genious nor understand it.

Comment by Valky71 – April 28, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely not! I’m a gay man and I can’t stand her!

Comment by Steven – February 15, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does your being gay have to do with anything!? She appeals to fans of all genders, identities, and race. Just because one is gay doesn’t mean they automatically like Gaga, and you pointing out your own homosexuality makes it sound that way.

Comment by devomblr.tumblr.com – February 15, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because most gay men love Lady Gaga. I have yet to meet another gay guy who has anything but love for her. And that many gays compare her to Madonna and Cher is just wrong.

Comment by Steven – February 15, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How is she any different from Madonna or Cher though? She’s doing the exact same things they did. Cher was pushing the envelope in the 80s. Madonna stepped up in the 90s. Now it’s Gaga’s turn. She’s doing the same thing they did to get where they are.. and that’s only ONE reason to compare her to them. Me thinks you might be dating yourself a bit, Steven… come on in to the 21st century bud!

Comment by devomblr.tumblr.com – February 15, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m 20! I’m able to like their music and still be young. She may be doing what they did, but she’s going too far with it. Showing up in eggs and meat suits. It’s no longer shocking, it’s stupid.

Comment by Steven – February 15, 2011 08:25 AM PDT
  • Yes I will watch it. She isn’t overrated. She puts on a damn good show. I saw her at Radio City and she was amazing. It wasn’t even just the music and the awesome dance party, it almost seemed like I was watching a performance art piece. She is really smart and it is probably the best show that’s every put together. Everyone who says “no way” has no idea what they’re missing and I’m sure if they went to her show, they’d be dancing like everyone else.

Comment by Sylvia – February 15, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • absolutely! i’ve seen her live a couple of times and not only does she put on a really fun show, she’s incredibly talented. i’d be seeing her again this month, but i’ll be ~36 weeks pregnant when she’s here and it didn’t seem, sigh!

Comment by tracy – February 15, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Should have keep your legs shut slut.

Comment by Hate kids – April 26, 2011 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you care enough to comment that you won’t be watching, I suggest you tune in to see an amazing performer blow you away, proving that she’s more than just an “image”. She sings her heart out and judging her simply by what you hear on the radio doesn’t give her nearly enough credit or respect.

Comment by Nic – February 15, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on the comments it looks like the cool thing is to hate Lady Gaga because she is popular.

There is no denying that this girl has raw talent and to hate her for it is juvenile.

I will be watching the special.. not because i’m a gay man but because she puts on one hell of a show.

Comment by Marty – February 15, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate when people say I hate for because she’s popular and because I’m jealous. I hate her because she tries too hard to be shocking and weird. All her songs are autotuned dance mixes and the only song I heard that really showed her vocals was speechless and it wasn’t for me. I’m allowed to just not like her.

Comment by Steven – February 15, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You can dislike her thats fine. I’m just saying there is no denying that the girl has talent. She may not be your taste but that doesn’t take away from the fact that she is an amazing entertainer.

Comment by Marty – February 15, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I deny it vehemently.

Comment by Obbie – February 15, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She doesn’t entertain me. She disgusts me.

Comment by rigby – February 15, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, I will not….

Comment by Karen – February 15, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, no, no.

Comment by SC – February 15, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope. I find her theatricality humorous, (sometimes in an entertaining way, sometimes not), but am not a fan of her music at all.

Comment by XK – February 15, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t recall Madonna playing a piano, writing her own music, designing her own costumes, organizing entire shows and making them new age dance operas. GaGa is not just a singer on the radio. She is an icon and alot of people out there needed someone like her in this age of music. Including me. You people need to go hate on Ke$ha or Katy Perry.. you’d have more reason too.

Comment by Mike – February 15, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “a lot of people out there needed someone like her in this age of music.” What did they need her for exactly?

Comment by Otay – February 15, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gaga backlash is unwarranted and ridiculous. I think she’s great. I’ll certainly watch.

Comment by John Berggren – February 15, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This isn’t backlash. We’ve always hated her.

Comment by Yippee – February 15, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she is more about the attention than the artistry. No judgment though…some people are just Hatched This Way.

Comment by dd – February 15, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely watch. I find her fascinating.

Comment by MaryB – February 15, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course! She’s an incredible talent, will be great to see her actual stage show.

Comment by DW – February 15, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • heck yes I’ll be watching! Gaga is a genius.

Comment by PV – February 15, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way!!!!

Comment by Deven – February 15, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You couldn’t pay me to watch. She is disgusting and that warble her fans mistake for a singing voice is dreadful. No thank you, I’ll pass.

Comment by Sera – February 15, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not interested!

Comment by Natalie – February 15, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would anyone stay put for, what, two hours of this…? These people have nothing to offer, honestly.

Comment by godzilla_foil – February 15, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh, no, I will not be watching. I just canceled HBO, (and just in time, it seems). After the Silly Putty egg ride and the continued “Look at me!” antics–just not interested.

Comment by QD – February 15, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope

Comment by Maria – February 15, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited–I will actually be there on Feb. 21!! Look for me on the Jumbo tron shots!!

Comment by JR – February 15, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For all of you who are “disgusted”, “hate her”, “tired of her” GAGA that is. You all must just be perfect. So when someone is “disgusted”, hates you, or is tired of you, just remember & tell yourself that you’re not perfect either and that you can’t please everyone either.

Comment by flawlessFX – February 19, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching! What time is is airing?

Comment by morgan – February 22, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAY NO SE HAY QUE ESTAR TODO ESE DIA EN LA TELE PARA VER A QUE HORA!!!!!!

Comment by pamela!!!!! – March 20, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She kicks ass…I’m having a Gaga party for her HBO special

Comment by amy – March 4, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely be watching.
    If you’re going to be an entertainer, why not be entertaining?

Comment by Mock – March 14, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pero a que hora lo trasmiten es el 7 de mayo alas ????? que alguien me ayude no me quiero perder nada de lady gaga !!!!!! QUE HORA ???

Comment by pamela!!!!! – March 20, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw Lady Gaga last nite was an awesome show! I will deffinately watch her on HBO! She is also a generous and giving person. How many other stars donate to help others like she does?

Comment by Dawn – March 20, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lady gaga: Amazing! She is overrated now which sucks a lot, but she’s just gorgeous. Her music is benelovent, especially at the club and I love what her new song says: “I was born this way” I will be watching this :)

Comment by EdVig – March 27, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely yes! Ive been to two of her concerts and it was amazing. It’s like watching a live music video.

Comment by Toni – March 31, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell ya I will and for all u haters u can just shut the hell up because u all r dum and wil nerver EVER AMOUNt to anything

Comment by chelsea – April 1, 2011 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HBO LO TRASMITIRA EL 7 DE MAYO ALAS 9:00 PM ALAS 9:00 PM

Comment by pamela – April 3, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will this HBO special be in black and white (ala Madonna’s Truth or Dare concert)? I really hope not, because GaGa has such talent with her costuming and dancers, I believe to only be shown in B&W would be a waste.

Comment by GreatDane813 – April 25, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No I’m not, Pacquiao-Mosley is on that night,

Comment by Nrgy – May 4, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think lady gaga is a talented lady and is a great singer!! People are jealous of her talent . She is awesome!!!

Her Concert on HBO was awesome my 7yrs. old daughter loves her singing!! nothing wrong with that!!

like she says down judge people !!!

everybody judges her because what she wears!! so what!!

i like see what she is going to wear next!!
    i already brought her new album and i really like it!!

like to see more concerts on HBO!!

Comment by Debra – June 5, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post