Exclusive: Laura Prepon To Play Chelsea Handler In NBC Comedy Pilot

Former That ’70s Show star Laura Prepon will channel racy comedienne Chelsea Handler in Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, a multicamera comedy pilot for NBC inspired by the late night hostess’ autobiographical book of the same name and relating her life in her 20s.

24‘s Annie Wersching Cops Role in ABC Pilot

The pilot — written and executive-produced by Dharma & Greg co-creator Dottie Zicklin and Julie Larson, and exec-produced by Handler — centers on Chelsea Hanson, a fresh-faced single cocktail waitress who is highly opinionated and open about her love to drink and have sex.

Exclusive: Jamie Bamber Reunites With Battlestar Boss for NBC Pilot

The project marks a return to the multicamera comedy genre for Prepon, who got her break playing witty and confident teenager Donna Pinciotti on Fox’s That ’70s Show. After that series wrapped in 2006, she co-starred on the ABC drama October Road and has done guest stints on several series including How I Met Your Mother and, most recently, Castle.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. Shannon says:

Geez. Laura Preppon is probably the worst actress ever. How does she keep landing roles?

• Lindsey says:

I thought the same thing when I read this headline. I can’t say anything about this show, but further, how does she keep landing roles on good shows? She’s mediocre in every way (acting, looks).

• SL says:

Wow, you read my mind. I’m sure she’s nice or something, but I have never seen her even remotely able to act.

• Angel says:

I totally agree. She was the weakest link on That 70s Show.

• DL says:

I used to think so, too, and when I heard she was playing the actress who would play Nikki Heat on “Castle” I did a massive facepalm. However, she actually turned out to be pretty funny on the episode. She’s clearly improved her skills since “70′s Show.”

• lee says:

Looks sell Duh! thats howm many keep making it.

• Donna Hardin says:

I am sure glad I am not in showbiz! U guys are BRUTAL! Laura was great on That 70′s Show and I think she is very pretty! Give the girl a chance before you roast her! Does every actress have to look like a Barbie doll? Good luck Laura and you have MANY supporters!

2. Ashley says:

OMG I’m SOOOOO going to watch this.

3. Jo says:

Laura is as funny as chelsea. Perfect casting.

4. Jill says:

Too bad Sarah Chalke is on Mad Love. I immediately thought of her when reading this

5. Laura says:

This is a TERRIBLE choice. I absolutely love Chelsea Handler and this is a brilliant idea for a show, but seriously? They couldn’t find a better actress? Someone a little cuter and not so manly? Chelsea is hot now, so I’m sure she was in her 20′s. Come on.

6. gonzaga12 says:

Perfect casting! She will be great!

7. MaxxFisher says:

I imagine the show will be as unfunny as Chelsea is on her talk show. The funniest thing she ever said was that she’s 35.
    Garmy Strong!

• Seth says:

I couldnt agree more chelsea handler is not even close to funny and the only reason i would watch this is too look at laura prepon who is hot

8. dfasf says:

PERFECT CASTING!!! I WANT TO WATCH IT KNOW!!!

9. Scott Gilbert says:

Maybe I’m naive, but, why couldn’t they get Chelsea Handler to play Chelsea Handler? I’d be willing to bet that she’d be a better Chelsea Handler than Laura Prepon…

Excuse me, but do you have any Grey Prepon? (Sorry, couldn’t help myself.)

10. Belinda says:

Perfect choice. I may not have thought so if I hadn’t seen her in Castle. She can totally pull this role off.

11. jagsag says:

Laura Prepon is great. Sorry to see she has to play mediocre rolls to stay in the business.

12. Scott says:

As usuall so much negativity. I think this is perfect casting and it will show when everyone watches the pilot.

13. i really cant see how this show can be successfull, anyway we’ll see but nbc is not on the road to making things better

14. will they have enough rants about Angelina jOlie on that show to make people watch it?

15. Danielle says:

Can’t wait for this show!! Love love love Chelsea,greatest comidienne since Kathy Griffin. Not so sure about Laura Prepon… Hope the show lasts…

16. dan says:

Chelsea is an uneducated, trash talking, nasty younger version of Joy Beher. They both look pretty worn out too. Laura Prepon will be just fine in this role. She at least seems intelligent and has some personality. Chuey on this Chelsea.

17. Anna says:

I think this is such a great idea! Laura is perfect for this role, she’s funny ad pretty. Can’t wait to watch!

18. Misty says:

How interesting – I’m the exact opposite! I hate Chelsea Handler, but love Laura Prepon. I’ll probably watch just because of her.

19. wrak says:

In Europe(Holland) we like Laura Prepon and consider her to be one of the best american actresses. She plays naturaly, is funny, sexy in a natural way and is not as plastic as the most american barbies.
    So .. great choise, although I don’t know that Chelsea!

20. amber says:

omg she really is great dont ya think and she look alike her too so she would be the perfect person for it

21. MrStone says:

Laura is the worst actress on earth, she couldn’t say a serious line on that 70′s show without smirking. I find it hard to believe her acting has improved since her performance on how I met your mother where she was just as unconvincing as an actress