Worst Cooks In America Recap: Burns Noticed

The final four contestants on Worst Cooks in America all saw their pans go up in flames last night, but for once, the whoosh of fire and threat of singed eyebrows was the desired effect. Yes, for the final elimination challenge, Georg, Kelsey, Joshie (pictured), and Carlos were all asked to make flambéed desserts. Kelsey, who claimed she had the edge on the Blue Team because she was “smarter than Georg,” went on to explain that she had no idea what the word flambé meant, not that such a crisis was going to wipe the enthusiastic smile off her face.

Carlos, meanwhile, whipped up a big cauldron of bitter; he trash-talked Joshie to his face and in his confessionals during the “skill set decathlon,” despite the fact that Worst Cooks is one of the few competitive reality shows on TV where such behavior is about as welcome as a toenail in the brioche bread pudding. Watching Joshie on the assembly-line is like “watching Britney Spears shave her head,” Carlos huffed. Later, when he told Chef Anne he was going to “beat Joshie up — in cooking,” you could see his mentor furrow her brow in confusion, as if to say “this isn’t Top Chef, kiddo!”

Given Carlos’ sudden “villain-lite edit,” it was pretty easy to predict Chef Anne would choose Joshie to represent her in the finale, despite the fact that one of his three half-chickens looked like it had been slathered in SPF 50 before heading into the oven. And that he committed another heinous round of double-dipping on his chimichurri sauce. And that his omelette looked as though it was filled with a wet yellow sponge. And that he garnished his calamari with slimy entrails. Then again, the spastic attorney did make a more passionate case for making the finale, and he has a girlfriend named Marz who seems born for the reality TV genre. “As annoying as [Joshie] can be,” said Anne, “he makes food that tastes good and does it with excitement.” Fair enough.

On the Blue Team, it was also a pretty close call, but you knew Chef Robert was going to have to choose one of his original recruits, not a contestant he drafted from Chef Anne midway through the season. Plus, while Kelsey’s main goal in life was to avoid giving her hubby his third bout of food poisoning during their first year of marriage, I’m pretty convinced the raw hunks of venison she served in the final challenge would be best paired with a trip to the E.R. (I did, however, get a kick out of the way she described her husband’s passion for hunting as if he were a housecat leaving mouse corpses on the back doorstep: “He’s always bringing home dead animals to cook!”) What’s more, Georg has been incredibly consistent over the last few weeks, and seems to have developed an understanding of flavor and ingredients that goes deeper than merely following recipe cards. (Was anyone else delighted by the way Worst Cooks presented her wife Teresa without any fanfare or “Oh.Em.Gee! It’s a lesbian couple!” drama whatsoever? Just a couple of ordinary moms, one of whom happens to be culinarily impaired!)

So now we’re down to the finale — Georg vs. Joshie — in a battle to whip up a restaurant-quality meal for a panel of food experts. Who do you think will take home the top prize? And which cook will you be cheering for? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV ridiculata, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jillybeans says:

I really hope Georg wins. Have to take even the small victorys :)

2. Kelly says:

Georg mentioned her wife several times in last week’s episode, and I actually had to rewind to make sure I had heard her correctly – not because it was shocking she would have a wife, but because it was shocking that the show/channel/editors made absolutely NO fuss about it. No other contestants doing the “eew” response? No bitchy confessional comments around religion or perceptions of sin or anything?!

It might be a sad commentary on TV that I found this so shocking. (Welcome, though – definitely a good way to keep me as a viewer!)

3. xwiseguyx says:

I could tell by the editing that Joshie was going to get the win even though I was totally grossed out by his Double Dipping… i’m sorry, but I could never touch his food again knowing after all this time, he hasn’t learned his lesson about cleanliness… I do believe that Carlos was the better cook, but this is about ratings and Joshie is the more flamboyant guy (something ironic since Carlos is most likely gay and Joshie straight)… they want a more interesting episode and I suppose this will do it. That’s just the nature of Reality TV.

4. Skitty says:

I was sad to see Carlos go, he’s been my favorite for weeks. But I had a feeling when Chef Anne commented that once again his food was underseasoned. Also Joshie’s crazy makes for better TV. Agreed with Chef Robert that Georg was the better pick. She has been consistently improving. But her habit of bugging out her eyes sometimes gives her a “deer-in-the-headlights” appearance.
    Kudos to Food Network for presenting Georg’s family as the non-issue it is. The network is consistent in this regard; last season there was a contestant who’s stated reason for competing was to be able to cook meals at home for himself and his partner. The sole reason I even remember this was that he was my pick and he totally lost it in his last round.

5. Sara says:

Anne picked Joshie on personality not on cooking talent which is her perogative, but it is now Georg’s to lose. Very unlikely Joshie will pull off the win, but it will probably be entertaining.

6. jellygirl says:

they mentioned georg’s wife in the very first episode too. i did a double double take because first, because her name is “george”. and second, she has a wife. i had to rewind and watch again to make sure my eyes/ears weren’t deceiving me. it’s nice that the show didn’t make a big deal about it but it’ll be nicer when it doesn’t even get a mention in a blog. :)

7. liz says:

Georg has mentioned her partner/wife several times so that was no big surprise. But what I was surprised about was how much older than Georg her wife is. Looked more like mother/daughter.

• Amanda says:

Ha! My husband said the same thing not just because of age, but they did look alike. I said I hope Teresa didn’t give a baby up for adoption 30+ years ago…that would be a whole other reality show!!

I’m sure that Food Network has no desire to make same sex couples an issue as they employ Cat Cora and Ted Allen. Plus Bob Tuschman who was promoted to General Manager last summer has been thought to be gay by the general public. Whether it’s true or not, FN just seems to steer away from issues that could make them seem politically, socially, or morally biased in any way.

8. 4F says:

Picking Joshie must have been some producer-influenced, calculated decision. There is no other explanation for it because Joshie is just NOT that good.

9. Tutiis says:

I knew Georg was goiing to get this far and joshie too, but Georg is the best. I like her soooooo
    She’s so pretty. I should be her wife. jk

10. Alyssa says:

I was surpirised to see Kelsey go home,I was rooting for her! But, between Georg and Joshie, i have to go with Joshie. Even though his cooking has some problems wiht it, IE double dipping, sloppy cuts, etc., his food is awesome and delicous, at least Chef Anne said that. BTW did anyone notice Marz’s haircut, it was soo cute. BTW Marz was Joshie’s girlfriend

11. Allen says:

Personally I did think the fact the Georg had a wife had no effect on her ability to cook but has a sad effect on the child that has to grow up with having two Mothers. Two Mothers did not make that child and to have a family means having a Mother and a Father, period. Everyone typing here has both. But I do feel Georg without an E was the best choice.

• Aly says:

Dear Allen,
      Your ignorant for saying a family means to only have a mother and father, which is purely untrue. Some people are raised without the other parent so in your statement you have disregarded all the single parent families, all the families that don’t have parents, all the siblings that have raised one another, and all the people who don’t have parents or siblings so they consider their friends as family. That statement just made you look stupid and bigoted. Good job.