TVLine Items: Idol Alum Gets Smash'd, No X for Lindsay Lohan, and Other TV News to Know

Songstress-turned-actress Katherine McPhee is the latest celeb to join NBC’s Glee-esque musical pilot, Smash.

The American Idol alum joins the already cast Debra Messing as “a beautiful struggling actress who goes to all lengths to book the role of Marilyn Monroe in the musical,” says Deadline.

Wondering what else is happening in TV today? Well…

• Despite rumors to the contrary — and certainly none that we ever heard! — a Fox spokesperson tells AP that Lindsay Lohan will not be joining Simon Cowell’s X Factor this fall.

•First Lady Michelle Obama will appear on the Cartoon Network’s upcoming Hall of Game Awards, per USA Today. Obama is set to pop up in a pretaped segment to present the “Let’s Move U.S. Healthier Schools Challenge” award.

• IFC has renewed its new Fred Armisen-helmed hit Portlandia for a 10-episode second season. Season 2 of the short-based comedy series is slated to premiere in January 2012.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today? Let us know in the comments!

Comments (7)

• Didn’t McPhee do a spot on HIMYM at some point? I feel like I saw her on something and she was funny. Anyway, I hope they counter this casting with an “Unqualified TV/Movie Star who gets the Monroe part in an effort to boost sales” character; that could be fun.

Comment by John – February 14, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That wasn’t a knock on McPhee, btw, just a character type that I think would be funny, a “Melanie Griffith in Chicago” kind of character. Also, this show sounds more like Slings and Arrows with each new piece of info, which is beyond OK with me.

Comment by John – February 14, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t McPhee do an episode of HIMYM at some point? I feel like I’ve seen her on a show or in a movie at some point and she was actually pretty funny.

So we’ve got the “selling her scruples” lyricist, the desperate young star…what we need now is the compromising composer, the “there for a paycheck/there for a comeback” director, and the unqualified celebrity who books the lead much to the chagrin of everyone else involved, and then we got ourselves a show, folks! Actually I’m getting excited about this one. It sounds more and more like Slings and Arrows every day, which is beyond OK with me.

Comment by John – February 14, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mcphee was on Community John, I don’t recall her on himym, in community she was chevy chase’s step daughter, and hooked up with jeff. She was funny on that episode.

Comment by t.t – February 14, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually didn’t like her on that episode.

Comment by whatevs – February 14, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah, THAT’S where I saw her! Yeah, she did all right. Ok, I approve. PS., sorry about the triple post; the website was being funky and it looked like the first ones didn’t go up or got deleted or something.

Comment by John – February 14, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting! This show is looking great so far. But what would make it best is if a certain Glee and Spring Awakening alum were cast. In case it’s not obvious, I do mean Jonathan Groff.

Comment by Brittany – February 16, 2011 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post