Law & Order Vet Jesse Martin Snags Lead in New Marc Cherry Pilot

Get More: News, Pilots, Scoop

Former Law & Order star Jesse L. Martin is returning to series TV with a lead role in Marc Cherry’s drama pilot for ABC Hallelujah.

The project, which features musical elements, is set in the town of Hallelujah, Tenn., which is being torn apart by the forces of good and evil and whose fortunes change when a stranger comes to town, bringing justice, peace and possibly restoring faith.

Martin will play a mysterious, charming drifter who crosses paths with the newcomer. The actor fielded interest from several pilots this season. He recently wrapped The Merchant of Venice opposite Al Pacino on Broadway and is filming the feature Joyful Noise opposite Queen Latifah.

Comments (12)

• I’m glad to see him back on TV.

Comment by Esaul – February 14, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I love him!

Comment by Carm – February 14, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him. He’s a really good actor, and a great singer too. Wish the show sounded better though

Comment by Doug – February 14, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be checking this show out…love him!!

Comment by Sunny – February 14, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would kill to see Queen Latifah in this. Please make that happen!

Comment by Steven – February 14, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds AWFUL lol don’t get your hopes up, because this will not be picked up.

Comment by Blake – February 14, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot sounds a little odd, but if he’s in it, I’ll watch it.

Comment by amy – February 14, 2011 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its about time, hes great

Comment by Vince – February 14, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad he is back in something, enjoy him as an actor. One of my favorite episodes of X-files had him playing an Alien who was down on earth, and loved Baseball – its was a really funny episode…

Comment by Vanny – February 15, 2011 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him! I don’t care what the show is about – I’ll watch anything that features him singing.

Comment by Ashley – February 15, 2011 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome he is a fantastic actor, both my wife and I love him. We are so glad he is back.

Comment by Brad – February 15, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I enjoy watching him so much. He is a terrific actor and his voice, WOW!

Comment by Mari – April 3, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post