Chuck's Joshua Gomez Spies 'Awesome' Twist

Get More: Interviews, News, Previews

This week on NBC’s Chuck (Mondays at 8/7c), Morgan gets a blast from the past when Sarah’s former partner in slinky sleuthing, Carina (played by Mini Anden), resurfaces in Burbank as part of a larger C.A.T. Squad reunion.

Of course, since their last meet-up, Morgan has gone onto become somewhat of a junior spy himself — a development that delights Joshua Gomez to no end.

“It’s been awesome, amazing, and so much fun,” Gomez tells TVLine. “It’s something I’ve wanted since the pilot, to be a part of the spy missions. I was always so jealous of Zach [Levi] getting to do all this cool stuff while I was stuck at the store.”

Chuck Bosses Discuss Volkoff’s Return, a Chuck/Sarah Wedding, and… Season 5?

Now, Gomez is broadening his horizons by way of all manner of espionage-related excitement. “I launched a missile from a car with Captain Awesome, there’s been car chase stuff, shooting off guns – not well, mind you,” the actor shares. “I’m not much of an ‘action guy’ – a shocker, I know – but those days are just starting!”

Engaging in on-screen engagements also has afforded Gomez the chance to work alongside Adam Baldwin in a whole new way, as Casey somewhat begrudgingly schools Morgan on the art of spying. “We have discovered this great dynamic,” Gomez raves. “I’ll go to him and say, ‘I’m going to try this,’ and he’ll say [adopting a gruff, monotone voice], ‘Ah. Hysterical. I love it.’”

“Mostly, Adam teaches me to shut up and hit my mark,” Gomez continues with a laugh. “He also gets a kick out of watching Zach and I riff and do our scene, then he’ll come in at the end — like a sniper — and just say a few words or grunt and steal the whole damn thing.”

Exclusive Video: Zachary Levi Talks Chuck Wedding (and Sings Us A Little Somethin’)

Speaking of Casey, super-sultry Carina’s reappearance also comes on the heels of Morgan making romantic progress with his mentor’s daughter, Alex — another deepening of character welcomed by Gomez. “Mekenna [Melvin] is a wonderful, sweet actress, and she fits in perfectly,” he says. “Morgan and Alex is fun to play, while having Casey looming over them is… well, scary.”

On next week’s Chuck, Gomez gets to return to his struggling actor roots by going undercover with Casey as a bartender at a ritzy British dinner party. Reflecting on his days as a mixologist, “I wasn’t very good, but New York City is tough,” he reports. “Make one wrong drink and it doesn’t go over well at all.”

Chuck fans, have you been enjoying Morgan’s entry into the spy world?

Comments (11)

• Yesss!!!! Morgan has always been a fav character of mines so it’s been great seeing how they have developed his storyline! REALLY hope there’s a 5th season!!!

Comment by michelle – February 14, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Morgan and Alex… and Carina, huh?

Well *this* will certainly be fun to watch…

Comment by Baylink – February 14, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that title was awfully misleading.

Comment by Micahel – February 14, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s for sure lol I thought we were going to get some scoop!

Comment by Samantha – February 14, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really seeing how the title connects. I thought Gomez would tell us some new twist with Captain Awesome’s character.

Still, though, I’m loving Morgan in the spy world and he and Casey have one of my favorite dynamics out of all the characters.

Comment by Katie – February 14, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Morgan’s increased presence! He has great chemistry with everyone in the cast and I adore the Casey/Morgan dynamic! Keep it up!

Comment by Samantha – February 14, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Casey & the General are probably, if silently, kicking themselves. Yeah, Morgan has problems with secrets, but remember when Morgan found out? They didn’t think he’d keep the spy secret and wanted to WITSEC him. Chuck said no, and Morgan not only has not said a word, but actually helped. Now I want to see him go all P’O’ed rage-guy. Say he’s closing up shop and see’s Alex get harassed by some gang guy. Chuck/Casey/Sarah aren’t around and Morgan just flips out. Even better he comes to the General’s aide.

Comment by GimplyGump – February 14, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I love Morgan in the spy world. His scenes with Casey are wonderful, although I’d love to see some Morgan-Ellie scenes again. But even more I am loving Morgan and Alex. I hope they can somehow make her a series regular, even if it is just for every other episode, like half the cast.

Comment by Cass – February 14, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the progression of Morgan’s character! His scenes with Sarah have been gold this season!

Comment by Marianne – February 14, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Alex/Morgan/Casey dynamic.

Comment by Kelly – February 14, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes! agree with all the love about Morgan! love his character and love what Chuck writers are doing with the characters [my only pet peeve this season being how chuck keeps pushing sarah to change into something she is not, considering how he met her and all he knows, he needs to learn how to back down!]

but otherwise, this is my favorite escapist show!

Comment by xxodettexx – February 15, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post