Ratings: CSI: NY Tops Night In Viewers, Fringe and Supernatural Stumble

CSI: NY topped this Friday in total audience with 9.66 million viewers, up a tick from its previous 9 pm outing. And even with a season low 1.5 rating, the CBS procedural enjoyed the second-“best” demos of the night (behind the two-hour 20/20‘s giant, whopping 1.6).

Exclusive: David James Elliott Earns CSI: NY Encore

The Eye’s transplanted The Defenders was Friday’s No. 2 most watched program with 7.9 million viewers, yet hit an all-time low rating of 1.2.

Smallville Exclusive! Michael Rosenbaum Back for Series Finale: ‘I’m Doing It For the Fans’

Elsewhere: While Smallville held steady-ish with 2.33 million viewers and a 0.9 rating, other genre fare wasn’t so lucky. Fringe — which just weeks ago was topping Friday night in the demos — dropped 13 percent in both the 18-49 demo (to a 1.4) and total viewers (3.7 mil).

Bo, No! Latest Fringe Twist Will Not Unfold In a Traditional Way, Say Producers

Similarly, Supernatural, with 1.96 million viewers and a 0.9 rating, was down 15 and 10 percent, respectively.

All together now, let’s blame Bieber!

1. t.t says:

supernatural and fringe are hurting eachother

• Mac Breck says:

That’s true; Supernatural and Fringe *are* hurting each other. Due to competition, I’ve missed a lot of Fringe over the years. I’ve managed to stay caught up with Supernatural, and have always watched CSI:NY. So, when it came to being only able to record two, Fringe lost, as usual.

2. Chmarin says:

What’s going on? February sweeps start, and all of a sudden, shows start hitting season/series lows. Thursday’s ratings were a mess. And now Friday as well – a 1.5 for CSI: NY? That has got to be a series low.
    I’m still kinda optimistic when it comes to Fringe, because everything else was down – it’s not like the show was the black sheep of the bunch, the only one down from last week. I think it can easily get a 1.6, 1.7 in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed.

3. Todd says:

I definitely think new episodes of Supernatural are hurting Fringe’s numbers. Plus between Adam Sandler and the Bieb, the theaters were packed last night.

4. timotey says:

This is me nitpicking, and I admit it, but how can Smallville going down from 1.0 to 0.9 be steady-ish and Supernatural going down from 1.0 to 0.9 be stumbling? Just curious. And isn’t 0.1 10% out of 1.0? ;) But if I get it right, SV and SPN still remain the CW’s 3rd and 4th show this week because everything else dropped even more (see Nikita and TVD on Thursday).

I hope SPN goes back up to 1.0 next week *crossing all that can be crossed here*

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’ll grant you the extra decimal place and edit SPN’s demo dip to 10 percent ;) It was the total viewership drop (15%) that put it in a different category than SMVL.

5. beetlez says:

It sucks that SPN and Fringe are airing at the same time, ’cause both are great shows.

• sashay says:

I only watch three dramas a week, and these are two of them. I can’t believe people watch crap like CSI (any of them) over either of these two shows. Probably part of the problem is that Fringe and Supernatural viewers tend to be a lot more tech. savvy and PVR and stream the shows, and those ratings don’t give enough credit to alt ways of viewing the shows. I wish we could just directly support the producers by ordering them directly, without having to go thru networks. The system seems terribly screwed up, that hideous shows get good numbers while the better shows struggle.

• Mac Breck says:

The only CSI that’s crap is MIAMI.

• Liz says:

All CSI’s are crap. And all procedural shows are worthless.

Procedural shows: Just plug in characters – 1. hot, every guy, 2. quirky, childlike nerd, 3. single, working mom (or woman scared she’s sacrificing her baby-making years to her job), 4. ethnic person (even if a show is set in an area with a large, ethnically diverse population- NY- you only need one non-white) & 5. lone wolf. Plug in a murder plot – one that allows one character a week to become morally self-righteous (this shows character development). Add a musical montage or two. Everything should be neatly and conclusively wrapped up in one episode. At most two. Three or more and you’re risking the attention span of your goldfish – er, audience.

6. Kami says:

What about Who Do You Think You Are? How did it compare to it’s season premiere last week?

7. TJCrinc says:

i thought supe’s did a good episode for that one. I also liked the final scene, cant wait for next weeks!

8. GeeMa says:

I use my DVR for all three shows and then watch when I can. I enjoy the shows and I’m really glad I don’t have to choose anymore. I did watch SPN last night and would have to admit, that would be my 1st choice.

9. Suncatcher says:

CSI:NY seems to be doing much better now that they stopped messing with Mack’s love life and ditched the British gal pal. Replacing Kankarides seemed much tougher a task but someone had great grey matter in coming up with the beautiful and talented Sela Ward to very capably fill that crater.

Sometimes CBS gets it right. (On the other hand, see the Criminal Minds comments today…)

10. John says:

It’s funny how when you start tracking numbers on a regular basis you start to take them as canon…I see this and go, “OH NO! Where did all those Fringe viewers go?!” But, in reality, because of Fringe and what it is, I bet you that every single person that watched Fringe last week also watched it this week. Maybe Nielsen Box Guy A had a date, and Nielsen Lady B worked late and decided to DVR it that night. We have no idea, and we hinge our entire TV ad economy around this. Especially when you deal with an audience as contained (nice word for small) as Fringe, this is absurd.

Nowadays, when you watch online, you actually have to put effort into not seeing/hearing the ad (change the browser window, sure, but you’re not gonna mute for 30 seconds just out of spite), and DVRing you’ll still see those images and logos flashing in front of you. And iTunes you’re just paying for directly!

So I guess my final point is, when will somebody in a suit realize what all us Internet Dorks have known for years – that the Nielsen system is really really stupid? Or, when will someone dare to create an alternative? Or when will some idealistic upstart within Nielsen throw out a bold new idea that gets him a promotion?

C’mon, Capitalism, WORK!

• Delirious says:

I wonder if there are “internet download ratings” of any sort, to see what series is downloaded the most, even illegally. Maybe that would give them some extra info. Especially from viewers outside the US, who they might wanna consider counting as well. At least, while Hulu isn’t available elsewhere (yeah, right, like we foreigners will ever be able to use it).

I’d even tolerate some ads/banners/whatever gladly, if I was able to watch Fringe on Hulu, and have it counted towards “official ratings”.

11. Derek64 says:

Well, I agree that the Nielsen technique is shady at best and should be reformed.
    Although I wouldn’t agree that everyone from last week also watched this week. I know at least one friend who didn’t watch because he doesn’t care for episodes that just take place “over there” without involving our universe. Of course he doesn’t have a Nielsen box so it’s moot anyway, but just as an example.

12. Elizabeth says:

I will not panic about “Fringe.” I will not panic about “Fringe.” I will not panic about “Fringe.”

Anybody got some hard liquor? ;)

• Chmarin says:

Pretend like you’re in an alternate universe. Over there, Fringe is the highest rated show on the air, it beats American Idol on a regular basis and has been renewed for five more seasons.

13. reds says:

I’m sad that Fringe is slowly losing ratings. The show has never been better.

SPN however, has never been worse and last night’s episode was the one that finally pushed me to give up on this show.

Regardless, Fringe needs and deserves better ratings because Fox is way more trigger-happy, while the CW just keeps dragging out the carcasses way past their expiration dates. Sad.

• DT says:

Speak for yourself, please. Many fans loved the episode. I loved the episode. It had a real S1/2 feel. Protective!Kick***Dean is my favorite flavor of Dean. The flashbacks between Soulless Sam and Resouled Sam were very well done. Hard core Dean fans gripe about there never being repercussions for what any version of “Sam” did or does. Resouled Sam flat out told Dean that at least some part of him did those questionable actions and he wants to make it right as best as he can, even if many fans tend to forgive Sam for deeds performed by his soulless self, Resouled Sam wants to own those deeds … because he has a soul and his soul won’t let him shirk responsibility.

• Courtney says:

I agree with you, DT. “Unforgiven” was so creepy and it was great to see what RoboSam did during the year that he wasn’t with Dean. I still am soo damn happy we have Sammy back but I’m concerned because the wall in his mind is already beginning to crack!

14. Lara says:

I wonder if these ratings included SPN viewers from Canada… I live in Ontario, and the channel I normally watch SPN on aired a 2 hour 20/20 special and moved SPN to tonight at 9 instead. Thankfully I have the CW too so I was able to watch it, but others may have no been so lucky. Yet again another last minute change which I wasn’t too impressed with. They had a little notice on the bottom of the screen during the last couple minutes of smallville to announce the change…

• sashay says:

Sometimes it’s better to watch them on the U.S. channels, they’re less likely to screw around with it. Global has frequently aired the previous week’s episode for other shows.

15. Rachel Little says:

Fringe and SPN should not be going against each other, they are eating each others viewers.

16. cody says:

c’mon FRINGE fans! we need to stand behind our show and watch it live!!! let’s all hope it goes up next week or that FOX does indeed have a heart and renews it!!!

17. DeJeLe says:

Sorry guys but I gave up on FRINGE as I am beginning to with V. But tonight’s SPN is just De-licious!! This is good, creative writing…nothing formulaic. I am so sorry that there are folks who won’t watch a show like this just b/c it is the Sci-Fi genre. We have got to keep this on the air. Fantasy does not mean that you are psychotic. Speaking as a retired Psych RN, sometimes psychosis is the release from this insufferable real world. Anyhow, I am for anything that sparks creativity…gotta go a great action sequence is occuring now.