Exclusive

Criminal Minds Scoop: Fates of Brewster, Moore and Gibson Uncertain

Paget Brewster’s Criminal Minds days may not be numbered after all.

The actress — who was expected to end her six-year run as BAU agent Emily Prentiss in the spring — has been asked to return as a full-fledged regular next season. But there’s a catch: Under the terms of her contract, Brewster has the freedom to attach herself to a pilot for fall — and she’s taking full advantage of that opportunity. (The alum of Andy Richter Controls the Universe is circling a number of comedy projects at Fox.)

Story-wise, Minds execs are keeping all their options open. We’re told the season will conclude with a cliffhanger that will allow producers to bring Prentiss back or write her off.

Incidentally, Brewster isn’t the only Minds cast member whose return to the show next season is uncertain. Deals for Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore are up at the end of this season and the two are nowhere near new pacts.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. alana says:

I hope she stays, the show won’t be the same with the lost of another great character.

• Suncatcher says:

Better yet, just go away. Shoo.

• Luca says:

The whole thing with Paget is NOT new. They announced a while back that her contract is not done and final. They merely warned her that they might not need her. The story they are working on could go either way. If she gets another gig, they will remove Emily to accommodate it. If she doesn’t, Emily could be back at some point

As for Gibson and Moore, they love the show. This is likely a panic over nothing.

If fans want to worry, it is Gubler that they should worry about. If the writers decide to make Reid go nuts, that could be the end of that.

• Franee says:

REED IS MY FAVORITE..I miss JJ, I never cared for pajet. I love Gibson and Moore. And Garcia has really grown on me.I really like what’s his names replacement. Get rid of Reed, Gibson and Moore..THEN GET RID OF THE SHOW!!!!

• Franee says:

Oh…and Don’t tell me they’re thinking of changing the show !! What do they mean “the new show”???? I have no desire to watch a repeat of SPY CHASES…Why won’t people learn, “If it’s not broken, LEAVE IT ALONE”..The new girl can go but Gibson and Moore better be back!!

• AlphaD says:

I read somewhere that CBS is trying to cut costs on several of its longer-running shows (CSI, Criminal Minds, etc.) by cutting out some of the characters. That’s why JJ was written out, and that may be part of the reason Paget Brewster is/may be leaving. Now why they brought in the new blond girl, I’m not sure–I guess she was willing to work for less money.

• Shaichele says:

All the cast members need to stay! They all make the show a great hit. I wish they would leave Reid alone and keep him as smart as ever; its great. They need J.J. and Prentiss too. This is one of the best teams on TV. If they mess with the team, I’m done! Everytime a show is a great watch, they find a way to screw it up.

• jasminecason says:

i totally agree .they should bring back paget and aj. i should
          apoligize to aj because at 1st i hated her but now i miss her.
          why does cbs mess with the show so much i now hate them .

• Doug says:

I 100% agree. Leave it alone. AJ and Prentiss are an integral part of a Team that really works. Make it as it was……or I am also done.

• CM Fan #58899587th says:

If MGG leaves, I’m sorry but I will never watch the show again! If I could get 3 CM wishes to come true they would be 1. Mandy come back 2. Paget come back 3. Don’t touch anyone else…well they can get rid of the new chick.

• yogi35 says:

they have already lost jj if gibson, moore and they change gubler, may as well cancel it, it will not be good any more and iam gone as a viewer..

• Mac Breck says:

CBS and the Criminal Minds producers need to keep Paget Brewster on the show, ***get A. J. Cook back*** on the show, *and* sign Gibson and Moore.

CBS, you shouldn’t have screwed with “Criminal Minds.” BAD MOVE!

• long time fan says:

I totally agree.

• Nance Landers says:

I couldn’t agree more that the entire cast in Criminal Minds should remain on the show, including bringing AJ Cook back. This isn’t a soap opera that you can easily recast people or take them away…this is a GREAT show and should remain intact!!

• Laura says:

I totally agree with Nance…DON’T FIX WHAT WORKS!!! That was my family’s go to rule and it certainly applies here. These actors ARE Criminal Minds…just like no one else could ever be Matt Dillon! It’s working great for CBS, the fans, and from all accounts, the actors too. It would be a disastrous mistake for CBS not to get JJ back and continue the “Team” in tact.

• R.Wallace says:

I agree – why jack around with something that is really working?
            This is one of the best dramas on TV and “the team” really fits
            well together. CBS just needs to chill and let the viewers decide
            whom they like…..after all, isn’t that is what counts?

• Denise says:

I have been addicted to Criminal Minds since it’s pilot episode and have loved Thomas Gibson since Dharma & Greg. If TG and Shemar leave CM I’m gone. They ARE Criminal Minds. And now that CBS has fired Charlie Sheen, they can use his 41.8 mil/per episode to give TG and SM new contracts, MGG and JM raises, resign PB & AJ all to new 6 year contracts, get rid of Seaver(never forgive her rudeness to Reid on the plane) and then leave them alone. They now have $1.8 miliion at their disposal.

• Shellbelle says:

Keep Brewster, Bring back Cook…keep all the rest and then the show will be right back where it needs to be. You’re not supposed to mess w/ success….so why throw a great show down the drain?

• Lexi says:

I agree. I like Paget Brewster’s role as Emily. They need to bring back A.J. Cook and get rid of that new girl they brought on. JJ can not be replaced. While the show survived two of the original members leaving, Mandy Pantikin’s Gideon, and the actress that played Elle (can’t recall her name) the other characters were strong and his replacement, Joe Mantegna, along with adding PB to replace Elle, was a brilliant move. CBS execs have seem to run out of those starting with JJ.

• Sdubee says:

CBS needs to just say no to Charlie Sheen he’s not worth it. It is funny but I refuse to watch when they continue getting rid of actors on a show I love criminal minds. Leave Paget alone and bring back AJ Cook… Why continue to fix a show that is not broken… CBS sucks lately!

• S dubee says:

Not that this season has no been good and yes you can try and justify that the women have changed through the years. We need last season cast for the best team put together on criminal minds. Chalie sheen does not need more money it is only hurting other great shows. AJ Cook (JJ) should have never left the show and Paget( Emily) has fit in well. This is

• Cheri Louise Ross says:

I totally agree. JJ and Emily are irreplaceable; the show was perfect with them! I wish there was a petition I could sign to support them!

I don’t like the new blonde girl–she is no JJ!

• Tanzie says:

Criminal minds needs to see that they have destroyed a group of actors who are Criminal Minds. They need to bring back Emily and JJ. The team is not whole without them. The new girl is so weak of a character that she would not be missed. CBS right now has the opportunity to make Criminal Minds a GREAT show again. CBS listen to your viewers. No matter what you do I will never watch 2 and 1/2 men again. Put his salary to good use and let Criminal Minds again emerage as the show with the best story line, cast, and characters. May Emily and JJ breath life into the show again.

• skwirl67 says:

i agree…keep them all and bring back AJ. The new blonde can go.

• jasminecason says:

i actully think they should keep the blonde. and not mess with the show anymore. and by the way her name is rachel .so i dont agree with u because i like everyone .

• Ted says:

I totally agree. I’ll not watch anymore if this cast is broken up

• Joanne Roper says:

I also agree…CBS, what’s with you? Get smart and bring back and KEEP all original cast members of Criminal Minds or you’ll lose me as a viewer along with many, many others.

• kim says:

I agree. Paget Brewster is my favorite. If all of the characters are questionable in one of the best ensemble casts, Criminal MInds may as well be cancelled. Adding new characters is so disruptive!

• mart says:

I that a was numble tonight relly deceve cause i like the real crew sadness i dont know if i gona get in this new crew!!!!

• Gary C. Wells says:

please…don’t destroy my favorite t.v. show by getting rid of anyone else on the show….gubler, moore, brewster,gibson, garcia?,joe montegna….they make up a perfect package…along with A.J. Cook. please bring A.J. COOK BACK…I CAN’T GET USED TO THE NEW GIRL…

• Susan says:

Criminal Minds is the best show on TV, next to NCIS, and I can’t believe CBS is not listening to the viewers on this. JJ should come back and so should Emily. JJ and Emily are irreplaceable and the show was perfect with them! The cast was perfect the way is was.
      I like Paget so much better than the dark-haired girl before her.
      They should not change any of these characters except the boss lady (don’t know her name)who is so annoying and always on Hotch’s back.

• Patricia says:

I agree. I DO NOT watch those reality shows. I am addicted to NCIS, which I consider THE best show on TV. And Criminal Minds ranks right there as a tie with it. Why do they have to mess with the best of television. Surely there must be enough weekly show ideas to come up with, to NOT have to mess with a show that is working. We, the public LOVE these shows. Don’t you listen to us? CBS !! Are you listening????

• Jenny says:

Emily seems to be a part of team – even though she has quirks… this new character seems quirkless, non human and continually posing… if emily isn’t coming back – so be it – but choose a fit for this cast – its a distraction – only – her comfort and posing is unnerving to watch.

2. Jenny says:

I’d come to terms with PB leaving, although I don’t like it. So crossing my fingers she will be back. But if Thomas or Shemar don’t come back, I’m officially done. It won’t be the same without them. If Paget leaves, we’d at least have Garcia, Hotch, Morgan, Reid, & Rossi. But if two of those 5 are gone, I’d miss Rossi & Reid like crazy, and would get SOMEWHAT of a Garcia fix on CMSB, but honestly, it wouldn’t be the same show. This bites the big one. :(

• Melody says:

If all three go, the show will go with them. If CBS really wants to bring the show back then one or two of cast might be gone, but most of them won’t, deals will be made.

• postsalot says:

Would suck if Gibson left, but I would totally understand. It has got to be extremely difficult to keep that brow furrowed as much as he does. When the show finally ends we’ll probably hear horror stories about the migraines he inflicted on himself by getting too “in” to the character of Hotchner.

• sashay says:

LOL Now that you mention it, the part isn’t giving him much to smile about. We need a love interest for Hoch! Don’t have to see her onscreen much, but it would help to make him happier and take away some of those frowns!
        Seriously, if Hoch and Derek leave the show, so do I. I love Reid and Garcia, but they do not make this show. I already miss AJ terribly, and wasn’t looking forward to seeing Emily go either.

*And Michael, you need to add a “report” button for those ignorant comments up above. I’m pretty sure he was doing it for attention and to see how long it takes you to get around to deleting them, but it is still very offensive to wade thru on our way to better comments.

• Criminal Minds Fave Fan says:

I think if the powers that be can’t stop changing the cast, then I hope Reed, Morgan, Prentis, Hotch & Garcia can go to other shows & prove their worth. I will then stop watching Criminal Minds & watch whatever show they are a part of.

3. Tiffany says:

Get your act together , CBS! I love Paget and Prentiss, but as much as I’ll miss her I hope she doesn’t come back. She deserves better than the way she’s been treated. As for Thomas and Shemar, if they’re out, so am I! It will be the final straw.

• Mac Breck says:

If anybody has to leave, why can’t it be the backstabbing boss Jayne Atkinson Erin Strauss/Director Erin Strauss (12 episodes, 2007-2010)? She’s the most annoying character next to Dr. Smith on the 1960s “Lost in Space” TV show, or Ilsa Pucci on “Human Target” (There’s another example of meddling by know-nothing executives.)

• Tiffany says:

Oh, if Strauss left I’d throw a party! The way she’s messed with the team, especially Hotch and Prentiss, is just inexcusable. There are words for women like her…

4. Dominique says:

Well it’s pretty simple for me; If Gibson doesn’t return next season, I’m done. I watched JJ leave and thought that was horrible, but Gibson is the star of the show and if he doesn’t stick around, neither do I. CM is nothing wihtout him

• Liz says:

I completely agree with you. I absolutely love Thomas Gibson and have since he was on Dharma and Greg. When Gideon left a few years back I was concerned with the direction the show was going to take. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Rossi (I like him much better than I ever liked Gideon). I was PO’ed when JJ left and Prentiss’s episode count was decreased. Then when I heard she might be out at the end of the season I was almost ready to give it up. If Hotch goes, I go. This is ridiculous, and I completely blame it on the creation of Suspect Behavior. NCIS successfully brought on NCIS:LA without losing half of its cast. If CM didn’t have the budget for 2 shows they should have stayed with the original.

• Kate says:

If Thomas Gibson leaves, the show won’t be the same without him.
        I’m done if he leaves.

• lonewolfbenji says:

“If CM didn’t have the budget for 2 shows they should have stayed with the original.”

Absolutely!

• Suncatcher says:

@Liz – Totally agree with you and have been saying this since last June when CBS and Ed Bernero dumped both AJ Cook and Paget Brewster so they could afford a dumb “spin off”. Still have a bad taste in my mouth. You won’t catch me tuning in anywhere near “Suspect Behavior” when it starts this coming week. Whoopee.

• LDSK says:

Ditto. The only “Suspect Behavior” here is that of the CBS executives. The spinoff looks horrible and I will not be watching!

• @ijcm says:

What a dreadful show Behavior Suspect it a shear insult to have criminal minds in front. The acting was absolutely dreadful and the articulating left a lot to be desired. No a very professional show at all, Garcia must find it very difficult after acting with Thomas Gibson; Shemar Moore ; Paget Brewster and J.J.
            What on earth are the producers thinking. Criminal Minds is superbly acted T.V. program. Don’t muck it about the way you are doing, use your brains!!!

• Arleen says:

I completely agree with Liz. Bring back A. J Cook and keep Pagent on the show. If Gibson goes I will stop watching. Suspect Behavior is not very good–the characters just don’t jell.

• Lorie says:

Ditto! CM loses me if Gibson leaves.

• Suzanne says:

I also agree. I almost left with the exit of Gideon, but my love of Thomas Gibson kept me watching. I’m done if he leaves.

5. Magically Suspicious says:

What is wrong with these people? This is one of the best shows on television. If it ain’t broke…… Am I wrong? Are they not getting the ratings that I assume they are getting?

6. jen says:

I was already upset about losing J.J.. The thought of losing Prentiss doesn’t sit well either but I’m still faithfully watching. That being said, if we lose Hotch or (especially Morgan) I don’t think I can keep watching. Poor Garcia would never be the same of Morgan were to leave her. The show is as much about family as it is about criminal minds. It would be too painful to watch only a small part of the family go on.

• pamysue says:

I also miss JJ. And if it wasn’t the actress’ decision to leave, than CBS screwed up. She was the soft heart at the bottom of a team that has to be tough. If they had to get rid of someone, I would have rather seen Padget go than JJ.

• some of the best TV shows are always about family, as disfunctional as those families are like in Fringe (over here universe) and it would be bad for this show to lose 2 or 3 family members at once it will lose a lot of its soul. Plus the most functional element of this disfunctional family is morgan-garcia…

they should try and negociate to keep all of them on the show.

As to criminal behaviour, the problem is there is trend now for TV shows to bring on Oscar winning stars like Forest Whitaker and that cost a lot of money.

7. Karen Chavis says:

I hope Paget will stay with the show and pursue the other
    opportunity she can do both! She’s the woman! The same for
    Thomas and Shemar. The cast has such great chemistry, it
    wouldn’t be the same if any of them leave. Please Matthew
    Grey Gubler.. don’t leave. Nobody can replace you.

• Paget will leave or stay, pursueing comedy at fox and continue work minds is just not possible, but the likelihood is that she will leave the show.

• Katie says:

CBS messes up BIG TIME when they let J.J. go! HUGE MISTAKE!!!!! CBS should have left THE BEST SHOW ON TV alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish they would listen to the viewers.

• catherine McGinty says:

Totally agree with already been said. Don’t muck it up further
        and lose the best program on T.V. please!!!!!

8. Megan says:

I definitely want her to stay on the show. It took me a little while to get used to her character after she took Elle’s place on the team but now she is my favorite character. If she goes, I might too. With that said, I wish her luck on anything she does in the future. I think she would be great in a comedy — I thought she did a great job on Friends as Kathy, Joey & Chandler’s girlfriend.

9. Vader says:

If loosing PB means bringing Rachel Nichols on full-time, I’m all for it. However, if they lose Gibson and Moore, they might as well kill the show.

• Kay says:

What the heck? I have nothing against Rachel Nichols, but the premise of her character is terrible. We don’t need to watch a newbie learn the ropes at the BAU. Yawn!

• plus Rcahel Nichols has a movie career that could keep her busy, with the conan movies and the g.i. joe sequel comming soon etc… But the partnership of prentiss and morgan is priceless good looking actors ends up generaly kissing each other, here it is not about that, it is about being friends and i like that

• Sofia says:

Rachel is already full-time and that had nothing to do with Paget. Rachel is repalcing AJ (who will be in episode 18 “Lauren” airing March 16). They will find someone to replace Emily, if she dies or leaves the BAU forever (if Paget gets a new show), or temporarily (just for the rest of the season, wich is highly unlikely, because they’re writing episode 21 and they’re not writing a replacer on it), or not at all (if Paget doesn’t get a new show, she can come back to play Emily, full-season and get together with Hotch).
      I’ve nothing against Rachel Nichols, I liked her when she was on Alias, but her character is not apropriate to work with a FBI Elite team, because she is a cadete, she just left the academy. In NCIS she would be the “probie”.

• sashay says:

Really? I can’t stand her character! Ridiculous premise, and she comes across as a washed out, fragile version of JJ. Hope she leaves soon, definitely needs a lot more training back at Quantico. Still don’t see why they didn’t get rid of her after the first episode she appeared, pretty much screwed up that case.

• it’s good to see someone screw up, it happens even the elite of law enforcement and intelligence, this people screw up sometimes i do not see why their television version would not screw up. But don’t Mrs Nichols is much more into movies and will be starting filming the sequel of G.I. Joe later this year…

• Tan says:

I totally agree! Ashley is a poor&boring version of JJ. They even made her hair look like JJs. I hope they will bring back JJ or find someone with guts instead of Ashley..

10. Jademarisa says:

If only CBS treated Criminal Minds actors/actresses the way they’ve treated NCIS’s none of the current problems would have arisen. Wish common sense would impose upon Ms.Nina Tassler and the rest of CBS execs’ stupids they’ve proven themselves to be so far.

11. alex says:

This network needs to get its act together. They need to stop playing with viewers and realize the gem they’ve had in their hands. This is a good show, it’s well-written, it’s well-performed, it doesn’t need boosting up, it needs to be left alone.

Bring back JJ, a wonderful character that is terribly missed, and you’re set. If you want to get rid of someone, fire Rossi. Sure, Joe Mantegna may be a big name in the show but his character brings NOTHING to the plot. CBS is spending money on him when he should be keeping characters that really do something for the show.

• Rebecca says:

Could not agree more! I still can’t believe he gets paid the most out of any of the cast. I didn’t care about him when he started and I care less about him now. It would be easy to write him out too, he can just go back to retirement.

• sashay says:

I like him, always been a big fan of his acting, but I don’t find that his role adds that much to the show, and I am shocked to discover he is paid the most! I would much rather have AJ back, and double Paget’s salary, if his leaving enabled them to increase the casting budget.

12. Magically Suspicious says:

If MGG ever leaves (or is booted from) this show, not only will I quit watching, I’ll most likely have a stalking charge to look forward to. My weekly date with Dr. Spencer Reid is what keeps me sane. And keeps MGG safe.

• jen says:

I don’t really have anything to add, I just wanted to say that this is my favorite comment I’ve seen on any site in quite a long time.

• Melody says:

Last year is when I started watching Criminal Minds, and it was because I caught an episode one night and I fell head of heels for Matthew. He’s so freakin’ adorable and as Reid it’s complex, interesting and can make me laugh, cry and swoon all at the same time. You and I can share a defense attorney.

• Brandi says:

LMAO Seriously an excellent comment. And btw we’ll probably end up sharing a cell. If MGG is out, so am I.

• Tiffany says:

Oh thank you for that! I needed a laugh today!

• Pat says:

Criminal minds is perfect the way it is. CBS treat your actors right! The current Bau team is good! Hautch, Teid, Morgan, prestiss and are all importany. Keep them!

• jill shaw says:

I enjoy this comment very much !It made me smile!MGG is awesome!I think CM is one of the best shows on tv in a long time.Please don’t change a thing!All of the cast members are a valuable asset to this great show.

13. Nilsy Feliciano says:

I never understood why they wanted to get rid of JJ and Emily to begin with. They said something about changing what they had so the fan wouldn’t get bored. In my opinion, if you have a cast that works there’s no real need to shake it up like that. If the motives were budget cuts, then why add a new female character? Nevertheless, I loved each of those characters because they are the base of the show, but if the actors leave there’s no point in sticking around.

• AlphaD says:

To answer Nilsey, and all others, about why they keep changing around the cast, there is only one answer—MONEY. They save money if they get rid of long-term cast members, who make more money, and bring in newer, younger actors, who make less. That’s it–no other motives, nothing to do with shaking things up to keep the show fresh–nope, it’s all about the money. Anytime any network makes a decision, and you aren’t sure why, just remember—The answer to every question is “MONEY”.

14. Gaby says:

As much as I would love for Paget to stay on CM, I would also absolutly love to see her in a comedy.

Oh well, I will watch her in anything, as long as she is still on my tv in some capacity.

15. Sk8r says:

at least we’ll still be able to hear her voice as Elise on Dan Vs on The Hub!

16. AlistairCrane says:

Let Shemar go so he can reclaim the role of Malcolm from “Eddie Winslow” on Y&R!

17. Deb says:

Oh for god’s sake, if CBS is going to screw with the whole show, just cancel it and let these wonderful actors find new work that will treat them well. Without TG and SM, the show just won’t be the same show at all.

18. Tamara says:

Would definitely love to Paget stay on the show. It would totally be lacking in the strong woman department without her. Plus, I think she’s great!

Shemar and Thomas can’t leave the show. Morgan and Hotch ARE Criminal Minds! I’d be devastated without them. The shows become a huge hit and is my favorite! Don’t ruin a good thing!

• AlphaD says:

Remember, folks, the networks do not care, nor do they consider, how the viewers feel about shows, or why viewers watch a certain show. They only care about MONEY. That’s why we have so many reality shows on TV today–they are much cheaper to produce that scripted dramas. Nothing to do with creating quality television. It’s all about the money. (I still remember when they cancelled Dr. Quinn and Murder She Wrote–both of them were popular, highly rated shows, but they appealed to the “wrong” demographic (over 50). Advertisers want the 18-35 crowd to see their ads, and networks skew their programming accordingly.)

19. Lisa says:

Those in charge at CM seriously needs to get their heads out of the wrong part of their anatomy and get deals done with all three for them to return FULL TIME next season.

They do not return, neither do I.
    JMO

20. kristine says:

why is everything humanly possible being done to save Two and a Half Men in spite of Charlie Sheen and Criminal Minds, a far superior show, is in jeopardy? maybe they should rethink how much they pay Charlie Sheen and use what’s left over to pay the Criminal Minds cast better instead.

• Two & Half man has superior ratings than Minds and if u remove Sheen from half man, the show no longer exists, with criminal minds, paget can go and be replaced. When Paget came on as a replacement to the one who was killed off, people didn’t like the idea, they did not want the previous actress to go and 3 years later Paget is now the woman nobody want to see go away…

• comment says:

I can’t believe they pay 2 million dollars per episode to Charlie Sheen.
        For a half hour show! He is not that good anyway.
        Of course we can substitute everyone in every show, it is just a matter to respect the viewers, we get fond of the characters, it is always difficult when they kill or replace them,
        like the Law and Order show. The solution is to hope they can create a new great show elsewhere and start following it, as it happens every time.
        As for the 2 and a half men, I always thought that the half man was Charlie Sheen. and also,
        the boy is not a boy anymore, end this show asap!

21. Sarah says:

Seriously CBS? This show averages at least 12 million people per week. I miss AJ and I’d gotten used to the idea of no Brewster but if Gibson and Moore are gone I won’t watch. I love Mantegna and MGG but Vangsness but it would be not at all the same without TG and SM

22. Paige says:

Is all this crap over Charlie Sheen? Get over it CBS! They are going to regret letting all these people go after Sheen kills himself with his addictions. I sincerely hope it’s not about the money but it doesn’t seem as if these actors, JJ and Prentiss, want to leave so what else is there? If Prentiss leaves there will be no female agents except that one odd girl they are trying to throw on us. Horrible decisions being made at CBS!!

23. boidiva02 says:

I hope she stays; she’s a brilliant actress. I hope both Moore and Gibson stay too. Really the whole cast is fantastic. Although that blonde girl needs to go. She’s dull and boring.

24. Nate says:

Criminal Minds is still on? Stopped watching when they got rid of the only reason I started watching in the first place- bring back JJ immediately and make up for your EPIC FAIL CBS.

25. Sofia says:

Morgan can leave. Prentiss will be kidnapped (the makeup artist twitted a picture of her sitting on a chair with her hands tied behind her back) and may leave for a while (if any of Paget pilots gets picked up), or leave forever or even die (if she finds herself a new show). I seriously don’t want Emily to die, nor to leave the show, but I understand her decision. CBS has been playing with her and the show. Hotch cannot leave at all. He is the MAN. He is the soul of the show. Him and Reid, neither can leave.
    And of course there’s another reason, for me, to want Emily and Hotch to stay. I want them to be a couple (not that that will ever happen, but a girl can dream, right?), HOTLY!
    Plus, BRING JJ BACK!

26. GiGi says:

WHY can CBS spend 8 trillion dollars (a little exaggeration) a season on CHARLIE SHEEN? But they will not pay two wonderful females to be on their hit tv show? Criminal Minds has been on for years. The loyal fans have already stuck around during previous cast changes but enough is enough. If they don’t get their crap together, beg Paget, Thomas & Shemar to stay then they do not deserve the money & success that their network recieves. It’s ridiculous.

• Sandy says:

I agree with you 100%.

• Magically Suspicious says:

Don’t forget that they are sinking money into a CM spin-off that, based on the preview episode last season, is craptastical. Spend money wisely and stop messing with the proven hits, CBS. That seems like simple math to me.

27. Kay says:

Honestly, CBS is stupid. Losing AJ Cook and Paget Brewster is one of their worst moves to date.

28. Ingmar says:

I love Prentiss and I think she deserves to be on the show for another season. But she got the offer so it’s up to her now. I will keep watching the show anyway if she leaves. Same if Hotch goes. But I do not want Moore to go ; he’s fun with Reid and Garcia. Hotch bores me anyway so imo he may quit but I dont see that happening

29. missyd says:

I was already mad when they put AJ cook off and most of CM’s fans had requested to keep Paget Brewster. But if shemar moore isn’t on CM anymore i won’t watch either. Totally agree with “Vader” it’s suicide!!

30. em g says:

People seem to forget that CBS is a business and that since it is in the enviable position of having lots of long running shows and they have the happy problem of having to extend contracts. Aging shows are much more expensive than newbies and CBS choses to play hardball with costs on those aging shows no matter how successful. Last year negotiations with most of the NCIS cast & Charlie Sheen came down to the wire, and several other folks on both Criminal Minds and CSI had their options dropped. They’ve played hardball in the past with CSI cast leads as well. That said, know CM has slipped a little in the ratings, but CBS has to be making tons of money on the syndication of the show as it seems to be on at least two cable nets and on local weekend syndication. I think folks should remember that two of the original members of the cast have already left the show [Patinkin & Glaudini] and and been ably replaced [Brewster replaced Glaudini], so within reason changes can keep a show from going stale as well. As a viewer, I hope they retain both Gibson and Moore and I’d like to see them add Nichols as she kind of becomes the baby of the team and changes the Reid dynamic. I’ve always been a little meh on Brewster but do miss Cook.

• jen says:

CBS wasn’t the reason that Patinkin left CM though. He left because he found the subject matter too dark. It had nothing to do with money or a dispute with the cast (source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25891968-5006022,00.html I hope the link works, I’m on my phone so I can’t copy and paste). CBS is a business, but all businesses need customers. Getting rid of most of your cast is not good business sense.

• Sofia says:

There’s no way you can compare Mandy Patinkin and Lola Glaudini with AJ Cook and Paget Brewster. Both Patinkin and Glaudini CHOSE to leave the show. She wanted to go back to New York and he was tired of doing such a dark show.
      AJ was fired! Paget saw her contract change, this season would be her last and her role would be reduced, only 18 episodes.

31. Sharayah says:

I could *possibly* live w/ Emily being gone, though I love her character, but if they boot Morgan and Hotch, that would destroy the show! It’s the collaboration of the WHOLE team, not just one or two. You need Morgan to get Garcia’s character, and Hotch and Rossi are the backbone of the team. Morgan makes CM! I love Reid too, I mean you can’t lose any of them really. I don’t mind the new girl, but I would preferred to keep JJ and keep the cast set!
    We love this show CBS, don’t screw up a good thing!

32. Jen P says:

How can they even continue to have a show if they are getting rid of so many key characters, especially all at once? Obviously the show has had cast changes before of major characters, but all within such a short time period. I have gotten really into the show just within the last year or so, but if 4 main people leave within the span of one season I may be done.

33. Melody says:

I hope they all stay, I just really don’t want that new chick to stick around. She’s a poor AJ substitute, just bring AJ back.

34. tkart says:

While I can live without Paget Brewster and her character but if Shemar Moore & Thomas Gibson leave, the show won’t be the same without them! I’ll have to say goodbye to CM and I never miss a show!

35. Elizabeth says:

Just when you think CBS can’t screw anything else up, this article comes along. What they’ve done to the show is, if you’ll pardon the pun, criminal. They’d better figure this mess out soon, before everyone jumps ship and “Minds” goes down like the Titanic.

36. Maroni says:

Why in the world are they deleting characters? The cast with the inclusion of Paget Brewster and AJ Cook was fabulous.

It blows my mind when you have a great show…leave it alone or you are going to lose viewers.

37. Jane says:

WOW!!! I´m more than shocked. This can´t be true. Is it 1st of April already?
    In case Shemar is not coming back, I have to say: I´m out. Sorry, but they can´t do that, thats a fact. He is part of Criminal Minds, like Aj was. I was so sad when she left. Also Thomas would be a real loss. :( If they´re going to cut them off, they can quit the show definitly. It wouldn´t be CM anymore. The whole BAU spirit would be gone. :(

38. Chrissy says:

Without Gibson the show is dead. There is no way it would survive without JJ, Emily and Hotch. The one episode without him was painfull enough to watch. I wish Paget comes back for another season, but you can hardly blame her, if she doesn’t, after what CBS did. Not to mention she is extremly funny. No wonder she wants to do comedy again. Just wish there would be a definit answer.

• Tiffany says:

The episode without Hotch wasn’t even Criminal Minds to me. Hotch *is* the show! He’s stayed home for a case or two before, but he still appeared in the episode. This was just wrong.

• Gee says:

CBS, like other institutions, don’t see the value in holding on to something special and that’s what this show is. I’ve watched the Reaper episodes about 5 times now, and I still physically “assist” Hotch in destroying this monster, throwing my own punches and all! CBS, be different in this throw-away society. . .restore Criminal Minds to the uniquely dramatic program it was.

39. Bethany says:

Don’t mess with a good thing–CBS, do something right for once and fight to keep your cast.

40. Shimmering Sky says:

If Gibson goes, I instantly become an ex-viewer.

41. alain says:

Criminal Minds will not survive without Hotch, and Thomas Gibson has made the part so edgy, intense and complex. A great and under-appreciated actor. I hope this article is exaggerated and that it is just that the contract negotiations are under way but not concluded. It would be unthinkable to get rid of Thomas Gibson as he really is the star of the show and the backbone of the team. Shemar Moore is also great in CM and his character, although a little shakey and unusual for some of this season, is really good.

CBS get your act together… stop messing with a brilliant show with great ratings – what are you looking for?

42. Diamondback says:

Well, like I commented on another site, the Profile for “CBS Exec” is “30 IQ Points Less than My Pet Slug”–Nina Tassler is doing the same kind of dirty-dealing her predecessor Kim LeMasters did to kill off The Equalizer and ram her own pet project Wiseguy down everyone’s throat.

While my personal self-centered want is to see her come back, if Ms. Brewster were to ask me for advice I could not honestly tell her that she should, when she has an opportunity to move somewhere she’ll be appreciated instead of the abuse CBS routinely heaps on its talent.

What are they gonna do next, kill off Gibbs on NCIS? Also as I said, when PB leaves CM, I leave CBS as a viewer for good also.

43. dee123 says:

Half of me wants her to tell CBS to go screw themselves the other half wants her to stay.

44. Lia says:

If Gibson leaves i’m going away too. He is that show.

45. Patrick says:

There’s obviously more going on behind the scenes for there to be this much to-ing and fro-ing. It’s unfortunate, but I think most procedurals will thrive with or without original cast members, they aren’t the same as more character-based dramas, so while I may miss some of the actors, they aren’t the reasons i watch shows like Criminal Minds so I’m ultimately not fussed.

Besides, I LOVED Paget on Andy Richter.I’d love to see her in another comic role.

46. Brandi says:

Although this is horrible news for CM fans, I would like to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Ausiello and everyone at TVline for actually covering CM on a regular basis unlike some other publications where the founder and editor in chief may have previously worked.

• jen says:

I’ll second that! It’s sooo hard to find reliable CM news on a regular basis. This site is awesome for that reason alone (not that there aren’t others :-D).

47. Denise says:

I have been a longtime Thomas Gibson fan(since Dharma & Greg) and love him as Hotch. But if TG leaves Criminal Minds so do I. He is the Unit Chief and the backbone of the show. That one episode without him was totally depressing. I need my weekly TG/Hotch fix. Its the only show I watch on TV. Criminal Minds is a ratings winner for CBS but I guess they can’t stand success the way they are treating the cast. Please, please, PLEASE resign TG and any others of the cast and then bring back AJ.

48. Casey says:

I don’t understand. I thought it was certain that Paget wasn’t returning next year. Because AJ said she was returning for Paget’s FINAL episode? So what’s this about a cliffhanger ending that will decide whether to keep her or to write her off? That bothers me. Like, if they want her gone, don’t take an entire summer break to decide. We the viewers want closure, and we don’t want to wait an entire summer to find out whether she returns or not. D:

• Sofia says:

That’s not up to the writers. It’s up to Paget. If none of her upcoming pilots gets picked up, she can chose to go back to the show. That’s why they’re talking about a cliffhanger. She is going to be kidnapped, may or may not survive, but even if she survives, she is out of this season. Next season? Who Knows? But after the pictures me and thousands of other tweeps saw yesterday or the day before, I do not believe she’ll survive to whatever they are planning. The cast was shooting on a cemetery, all dressed up in black, every single one of them, even JJ, and Paget was nowhere to be seen. If they were shooting her funeral, it makes sense, Emily is never going to appear in those scenes. So, we’ll just have to wait until March 16, which is going to be very difficult, but there’s nothing more we, fans, can do, except, speculate!

• Amiee says:

@Casey

It is Paget’s FINAL episode of *this* season. Her role was reduced to only 18 episodes this year. And actually, the decision to write her off is in Paget’s hands not CBS or the writers.

The confusion comes from the fact that Paget was not happy with the way they treated AJ Cook and reduced her own screen time. I believe during the renegoations of the contract it was decided that Paget would not be coming back but *suddenly* CBS has changed their minds. (I wonder if the fan outcry had anything to do with it??) They told Paget they wanted her back but she was already looking at other shows and decided she might want to take a chance on something else. (after the way CBS treated her I don’t blame her) So, if she gets on a new show and it does well she won’t be back. If the show tanks, she may return to CM.

49. Ele says:

Simple: no Thomas Gibson = no Criminal Minds! I want CBS to stop messing with this incredible cast. By the way: no criminal minds suspect behavior for me!