Bo, No! Latest Fringe Twist Will Not Unfold In a Traditional Way, Say Producers

Warning: The following contains a major spoiler from this Friday’s episode of Fox’s Fringe. If you have not yet watched it, check back once you have.

As if Peter Bishop didn’t already feel the weight of the world -– er, two worlds -– on his shoulders, the closing moments of this week’s Fringe promise to give the lad even more to think about.

Yep, she’s pregnant. AltLivia/Fauxlivia/Bolivia, that is. And yes, it’s Peter swimmers that got the job done (Sorry, Frank), making Walternate quite the anxious granddad.

How will this revelation shake things up in each reality?

“The two universes are in disharmony, they’re in a fractured balance, so anything that happens on one side, certainly for the duration of this season and moving forward, will by design affect the other,” Fringe executive producer Jeff Pinkner tells TVLine.

Fringe Bosses: There’s More To the Rest of Season Than Peter, the Olivias and The Machine

For starters, Pinkner says, “There will be consequences for Bolivia and certainly Walternate, escalating the storytelling on that side.” After all, as AltBrandon presented the news to Walternate: “I think I might have another way to bring Peter back from the other universe.”

Indeed, the big question is what Peter will do with this information once it makes its way to him, and how if at all it might influence his massive decision — and it sounds like that bombshell won’t take long at all to drop.

“The reality of what’s happening over there will get to our side relatively soon,” previews Pinkner, “and it will absolutely affect what’s going on over here,” where Peter has been laboring to reconcile his feelings for Olivia vs. Fauxlivia as well as come to terms with his destiny as a savior of one — but which? — world.

Great Scott! Fringe Tops Ratings In Its First Friday Outing

If this paternity shocker at first blush appears a smidge soapy for a series as risk-taking as Fringe, rest assured that this ain’t no shopworn General Hospital storyline coming your way.

“We get to tell stories that maybe you understand as a viewer, and you’ve seen before” – but always with a twist, exec producer J.H. Wyman points out. “This is not the first time you’ve heard about somebody having an affair, which is always interesting drama. But it becomes a totally different thing when the person your loved one has fooled around with is another version of yourself!”

“In keeping with that,” Wyman continues, “this reveal will not unfold in a way that is traditional. So people should prepare for that, because it should be very interesting.”

1. Kate says:

I’m not sure how I feel about this yet. I trust they aren’t going to turn into a soap though. I like to think they know their viewers.

• allie says:

I wish I could trust that this won’t be a very lame story arc but I just don’t know. I LOVE Fringe and would hate to see it take a seriously wrong path at a time when it’s future is in question!

• JohnDoe says:

Supernatural is utter garbage. Which explains why it gets less than half the viewers of Fringe. Sorry, but facts are facts.

• Sourabh says:

I’ve seen Supernatural fans say the exact same first sentence about Fringe. Also, you are right, facts are facts, but you have to make sure you have ALL of them.

• Ignacio says:

First of all taste is taste and not universal…I love Fringe. I do believe that instead of getting into a shouting contest over which is better and why don’t we use the star gate to fix it all, we should figure out a way to successfully lobby the execs to keep some of these decent shows on the air. I recently went through the HULU archive and found so many great shows that were here and than poof. Instead they keep some of the blandest, stupidest and childish shows around season after season. So start thinking….figure out a way to keep them around, even for a smaller select audience, like us.

• Mannie says:

And I think your tone is really childish and petulant. I love BOTH supernatural AND fringe because the each bring completely different things to the table. Both have great casts and great writing.
          While it’s certainly OK to prefer one to the other, there’s no reason to denigrate one (especially one that you clearly don’t watch and therefore have no informed opinion about) in an attempt to bolster the other. That’s so High School.

• Sandra says:

Fact…It’s possible to like both Fringe AND Supernatural.. Also, Supernatural has a much,much,much better change at coming back next season then Fringe… Sorry, but facts are facts.

• MIKE says:

I WOULDN’T BE SO SURE ABOUT THAT, I COULD BE WRONG BUT A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE WHO BY THE WAY HAS WATCHED SUPERNATURAL FROM THE BEGINING TELLS ME THAT THE SHOW ISN’T AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE…HIS WORDS NOT MINE. ALSO THIS IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE THE LAST SEASON OF SUPERNATURAL…HIS WORDS NOT MINE. SO ARMED WITH THAT LITTLE PIECE OF INFO IT’S SAFE TO SAY THAT FRINGE HAS A MUCH,MUCH,MUCH,MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF COMMING BACK NEXT YEAR. SORRY

• kupaa says:

i’m sorry, but this is a fringe website. why are you people talking about some other show? fringe is awesome. if you want to talk about some other show, go put it on their site or your myspace, you buggers.

• Alex says:

I personally enjoy how heavy the story portion of the show is getting. I can’t wait to see what unfolds, and I trust their judgement. BTW you can’t call something being garbage a fact, what you might dislike someone else might like. I personally don’t watch supernatural, but that isn’t because I don’t like it. I don’t watch it because I don’t have time. Correlation does not imply causation.

• ENort says:

It is obvious that Peter will choose OUR Olivia. However, the baby will end up with the same capabilities as Peter (to run the machine). Walternet already saying that he is unwilling to experiment with children will ultimately lead him to have to decide whether to commence experimentation on his own grandchild. Duh!

• gia says:

i hope he does choose our olivia!!!!!!!! after all this time and how invested i’ve been in these two…!!!

• kupaa says:

why are there only two universes featured in fringe? what if there is some third universe that comes and squashs our universe and the second one?

• Crystal says:

Sounds reasonable to me-your theory matches the characters behaviors & keeps with the storyline

• Ale says:

yeah, i doon’t either. i can’t believe the writers went this direction!!! it’s lame, predictable and so not fringe.

• Kate says:

The thing that caught my attention was the glyph at the end that had the apple with TWO embryos…twins/dual pregnancy- da,da,da, daaaaaa

• OMG says:

OMG i just saw dat….wat does dat mean??????

• Lambsilencer says:

Sorry, but the apple glyph always had two embryos in all the episodes. They didn’t change it for this moment.

• Kate says:

The glyphs for the episode spelled ROMAD = Recon Observe Mark and Destroy. ROMAD is also a slang term describing a group of USAF airmen that were tricked into a job no one else wanted to do.

• Arbe says:

To the Comment by Kate…If you were a regular watcher, you would know that the apple @ the end is always on there. But that is a good story line. I can’t wait, maybe your right!!!

• Vera says:

I have the same hope. It could be a slippery slope to start introducing “As the world turns” (or should I say worlds?) into such a FANTASTIC sci fi show, but I am crossing my fingers that they will not abandon their foundation and wonderful story telling for some soapy sub-plot.

2. Fates3 says:

Lordy, making Alt Olivia pregnant was lame, completely expected, and good lord, soapy as hell. And NOT in a good way!

Fringe has really failed this season, with the alternate world. And I’m disappointed that Peter’s much promised storyline was reduced to being some idiot stud.

Stupid plotlines like these make even the Sambot plotline on Supernatural, look like stellar writing! Which is why it’s not at all difficult to choose Supernatural at 9pm on Fridays, instead of Fringe.

• Ivet says:

Amen to that. Fringe’s done the worst mistake possible. And the whole baby thing which they think is interesting is huge failure, and viewers dont wanna see that.

• DL says:

Completely disagree with the both of you. What I’ve loved so much about this season is that, while at first glance the Altverse’s characters seem to be the bad guys, Pinkner and co. have managed to make them incredibly sympathetic as well. After everything that happened with Fauxlivia “over here” the easy thing to do would have been not to bother trying to ingratiate her with the audience again, and yet here we are.

Not only did I feel for Fauxlivia in that she’s basically lost both of the men she loves, but I also felt for Walternate, who for the first time showed us the very vulnerable human being underneath – the man who once could have become a person far more like our Walter had it not been for the events of that fateful day decades past.

Also, there’s no way I can fault the writers for giving the incredible Anna Torv yet more deep emotional material to work with, because she’s, well, fantastic!

• Bethany says:

I agree. If we based our conclusions/feelings about this arc solely on this one episode, it would probably seem like the worst thing ever. But think back to all the things, all of the storylines and arcs and random points that Fringe alone has accomplished in a totally original and fascinating way. Hesitancy is fine, but don’t lose faith just yet. The writers & co. have been nothing but fantastic through this series–that’s the only evidence I need to have faith that even a potentially cliche storyline will make for a brilliant arc.

• Neil says:

Shades of “The Young and The Restless” . . . sigh . . .

• Kevin says:

In atypcial fashion viewers see our world as “good” and the altverse as bad. The writers have done a reasonable job to define these parallel universes more like looking through a prism. The altverse is portrayed as technologically superior, and increasingly morally superior as well. While our universe is less autocratic and morally corrupt.

Massive dynamics looks to be well positioned to exist in either universe.

Bolivia’s baby is a source of power and energy, however I believe that the pregnancy will not go to term and is lost. So with great anticipation perhaps carrying into next year whatever edge can be defined by this pregnancy and heir will vaporize.

Since we are dealing in metaphysical realities and consciousness why are we to believe there are only 2 universes – infinite possibilities

• hk says:

DL, I completely agree. I think this storyline is going to be fantastic. I don’t understand all the eyerolling about her pregnancy. How is being pregnant making the show a soap opera? I can’t wait to see how this unfolds. And I also loved seeing the other side of Walternate because honestly I was thinking the guy was just totally void of any morals. Now we see that there are lines that even he won’t cross. Keep it coming guys. This show is awesome!

• RS says:

Could you please provide your definition of “love”. I can’t honestly see that she loved either of the men she lost. Trust is intrinsic in love. She wasn’t honest with Frank. She wasn’t honest with Peter. She isn’t even honest with herself. How could anyone feel sympathy for her? If she’s anything, she’s brainwashed. “Yes, Mr. Secretary.”

• nas says:

absolutely agree!!

• eviltwit says:

Totally agree.

• forrest says:

And I think this is all about the viewers i.e. ratings. My theory: Weak ratings from the beginning of the series prompted consideration of reworking. How can we test the waters with a new direction? Same characters? Anwer: Alternate Universe. See which plays better with the viewers. The higher ratings for “here” episodes vs. “over there” will determine which “universe” survives. Just wait and see how this plays out.

• missjay says:

The writers have already had this season plotted out since day one. If anybody ever bothered to look at season one dvd for deleted scenes or deciphering the scenes they actually show a scene with Peter and Walter where he tells him about the alternate universe. This is not the writers testing the waters with a new direction or a consideration of reworking. They have always had this planned which would probably include the pregancy. Instead of everyone complaining about how the show is turning into a “soap” why not just wait to see what the writers have in store?

• Lucy says:

I agree…why not wait and see what is in store? I’m not sure who I’d like Peter to choose, but since the alternate Olivia is pregnant, doesn’t that mean ‘our’ Olivia is pregnant, too? Whatever the outcome, I will continue watching my favorite show! For those of you who think the show is turning into a soap, it wouldn’t be the first prime time soap…remember Dallas?

• MIKE says:

HERE HERE:>

• Michael says:

Actually, I think you’ll find it’s simply a different demographic. The younger crowd doesn’t care so much for adult issues like children, pregnancy and the like where as these things are more a part of adult life so are much more of interest to adults. Younger audiences want to see more action, more guns, gore, explosions & gratuitous sex and violence. The older crowd will be more drawn towards shows with drama, relationships and the consequences those bring.

• Bob says:

Read his words, people: “…this reveal will not unfold in a way that is traditional. So people should prepare for that, because it should be very interesting.”

That says it’s NOT soap-y, it’ll be Fringe as we’ve come to expect. Patience. Breathe in, breathe out. Relax, it’ll all work out.

• gia says:

i completely agree with you! the writers had better fix this mess…

• Ace from the Netherlands says:

I totally agree! This is just too ridiculous! Last week I doubted Fringe big time because of the new plotline ‘to save the right world, peter has to choose the right Olivia’ Eeehhh….seriously? What kind of stupid idea is that….am I watching ‘the bold and the…?’ And now this pregnancy, I’m not going to watch anymore, to spare myself the pain I got from the ending of Lost. They screwed up again!

• MIKE says:

GIVE IT A REST ACE..SAM DIDN’T SAY HE HAS TO CHOSE THE RIGHT ONE HE SAID IT DEPENDS ON HIS MIND SET SO IT MAY SEEM LIKE HE HAS TO CHOSE BUT I THINK IT’S A LITTLE DEEPER THAN THAT BUT IF YOU’RE NOT GOING TO WATCH BECAUSE OF THE PREGNANCY THAN YOU AREN’T FOLLOWING JJ AND THE GUYS BECAUSE I KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING THAT WILL HAVE US TALKING FOR A GOOD WHILE. PS JJ TOOK HIS NAME OFF LOST FOR A REASON AND THE SERIES FAN.SHOWED WHY..KEEP THE FAITH

• kupaa says:

it was one episode! how do you know what will happen after this. can you see into the future? why don’t you go look at your death?

3. Lisa says:

First Grey’s Anatomy, and now Fringe. Sigh, I’m tired of the pregnancy storylines this year. I just hope they don’t do any “jump the shark” plots where the child grows up and goes up against his father or something.

• Grey’s Anatomy is a show about 35+, 45+ doctors and their relationships (friendship and romance) and you expect no pregnancy? people getting married in their 30’s ad you’re surprised someone would be pregnant?

• Maggi Bass-Jackson says:

How anyone can compare Supernatural & Fringe is the real mystery. Of course, any scI-fi. lover would appreciate both show for totally different reasons. I have noticed that both shows seem to be playing it a little safer this season.

4. B says:

Almost the worst kept secret in all of TV, second only to Callie’s pregnancy on Grey’s. But I’m open to it and willing to see where they take it. For the kid’s sake I hope it ends up over here, this Walter would be a way cooler grandpa!

5. Em_tee_em says:

Love this show, but is it really a twist when EVERYONE who was born at least 24 hours ago or longer saw this coming?

6. Good Stuff! says:

Keep it coming! This was a great episode and I totally did not see the baby-mama-drama coming with Fauxlivia! I can’t wait to see what happens when Peter and Olivia find out about his other worldly spawn! Good stuff!

7. Ann says:

Does this mean Peter will choose the alternate world for his baby?!?

8. Extraordinary is the word because the writers have so many options – I love the baby twist because I like emotionally unstable characters – and that’s what’s going to happen here. Heartfelt drama and sci-fi combined? Sounds perfect to me.

• KateK says:

Ditto. I’m completely drawn to this show because there are different elements and plots. If it was only a show about odd Fringe cases, I’d be bored outta my mind.

9. chattypatra says:

I never thought that FRINGE would go for the obvious storyline. I am disappointed with this turn of events. How much more does Olivia has to suffer? Don’t the writers know that the SciFi/tragic element has to be tempered not only by levity, but by a promise of actual happiness for our heroes? Tonight was a television lose/lose for me and two of my favorite shows: first, Tess couldn’t kill Lex on Smallville; now THIS. And BOO on Walternate having a mistress. Did the writers take that cliché out of The Villain’s Handbook? *rolling my eyes*

10. Irishgirl says:

This really was one of the worst kept secrets. And since EVERYONE knew about it before tonight, it really wasn’t much of a game changer, now was it? And while I am trying to hold out hope that this isn’t some crappy “Days of Our Life To Live In General Hospital” storyline, I really don’t have a good feeling about this plot twist.

11. mmartian says:

Fringe has not failed an any way this season. It is refreshing to see something smart and edgy as opposed to mindless reality shows/cookie cutter cop/medical shows. People complain about hollywood running out of ideas and then tune in week after week to the above mentioned shows and what do you get? Same ole-same ole. If they end up cancelling fringe I am sure we can have “American Idol 2- East coast edition and “Dancing with Billionaires” ready to take its place.

12. I have to say that I saw this one coming, but I really want for Peter and the real Olivia to be together. I trust the writers that the story won’t unfold at all the way we expect it to, but please don’t leave us hanging at the end of this season on this one!

13. Christina says:

It’s Fringe. However this is going to playout is gonna be awesome. They haven’t dropped the ball on anything and continue to blow our minds every week. I hardly doubt this is just a ‘baby daddy’ story. I wish it was next week already!

14. Pamela says:

Excellent ep. Excellent show. Anticipating the direction of this story arc. Great writing.

15. Gen says:

I definitely don’t agree with people saying that this was a terrible predictable move. Considering we’ve known for weeks, it’s not a huge surprise and it would have been nicer if the spoiler didn’t get out. The idea may seem a bit soapy, but this is Fringe! We all know it is not going to turn into some lame drama and is going to continue to blow our minds every week. All the people criticizing this move must not watch Fringe enough to know how it never disappoints.

16. Michael says:

I read all the spoilers about this and was still shocked when it happened tonight. I mean, they made a twist of abdominal movement that was supposed to be parasitic beetles and it turned out to be a baby!!! How many shows can do THAT? I’m sticking with this storyline. I love it already.

I also love how the characters (and the plots) of this show don’t go or work out how we’d want then to. No one’s safe.

• Theresa says:

Not shocked at all. Saw the baby possibility (when Peter & Fauxlivia were together), AND when Frank did the sonogram on her abdomen and saw movement. That beetle could’ve been anywhere. What didn’t seem to sit right with me: Fauxlivia saying yes to Frank while she obviously still has feelings for Peter (I thought she had stronger character), and not having ANY idea she was pregnant??

Twins crossed my mind too. Will she get some of the ‘power’ Peter has since she’s carrying his child…Will her presence (with baby in utero) in the same room with Peter and the machine allow the machine to ‘sense’ that Peter’s choice is made already??

• Joel says:

I thought that Folivia’s accepting the proposal was more or less on point. She wants stability in her life, not to hold on to a romance she had while on assignment in another DIMENSION! That would be insanity, wouldn’t it? This dude has been with her for the long haul and she can tell he loves her so, …idk, it just made sense to me. I don’t think she is overly emotional, she likes to have a good time. If I was Peter, I’d go to da clinic, because who knows what kind of STDS they have over there; the sheep DIED OFF!

17. CB814 says:

Peter doesn’t pull out.

18. Alejandro says:

I trust they know what they’re doing. The pregnancy will bring drama and excitement. I believe the baby will be a significant character, and I don’t think the baby will be with his/her biological mother for much longer.

19. Pamela says:

It’s kinda funny people saying it is so cliche. Yes, we have shows all the time with the guy gets girl knocked up in parallel universe story arc. *sarcasm*

Excellent episode. Excellent writing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I LOVE this comment.

• Jimmy says:

Special babies of great future importance and with great destinies in sci-fi are sooo cliche..and the parallel universes and alt realities are “ot so unusual” either,just for the record.
      But I love this show and do hope the story and this “twist” don’t dissapoint!

20. Kelly says:

That was utterly predictable and disappointing. I hope our Olivia doesn’t get stuck with Bolivia’s bun. Having now seen Bolivia as herself, I can see and hope Peter does too, how she is not the better version, is actually uninteresting and lacked chemistry with her own team, that our Olivia had.

• Theresa says:

Agree with Olivia being the better version, smarter, contributes more to her team. Disagree with it being disappointing episode. I think there’s still a lot of twisting that can be done. I am, however, the eternal optimist and like all the characters here. Don’t care for Frank, though.

21. allie says:

“The two universes are in disharmony, they’re in a fractured balance, so anything that happens on one side, certainly for the duration of this season and moving forward, will by design affect the other”

hmmm. There isn’t a Peter in the Other universe anymore so maybe his baby will even the balance? Ugh. I dunno. Just trying to think how on earth this isn’t going to be lame.

22. Olga says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! kick the babyyyyyy!!

23. Carrie says:

Lame and predictable. I don’t care how the try to dress it up, the premise of it we saw coming from ten miles away. I really have enjoyed “our” Olivia vs. the fake Olivia, but for some reason she’s been halfway shoved into dullness and not so good storylines while we ALL waited for this outcome that was beyond predictable.

What’s next? Peter cannot choose between Olivia/Fauxlivia, loves both equally, so both worlds are now saved? That is just about as soapy and predictable as tonight’s episode sadly. I’m sorry for feeling disturbed, but I expected more from Fringe. Oh well. Another show I can catch later in the week instead of live anymore :/

24. DotDotDot says:

I knew it was coming, thought I’d hate it, but I don’t. It fits in with the “which Olivia’s world will he choose” which wouldn’t have been much of a storyline unless Fauxlivia had something compelling going on and now she does. It kinda had to happen, and I trust the writers will make it good.

25. ashley says:

NOT happy at all about this storyline. Lame, predictable and SO soapy. I’m completely disappointed by Fringe. It’s had such a stellar this season so far and the writers going for such a obvious storyline is surprising and a letdown. I won’t stop watching but this definitely mares a good season. Oh and don’t even get me started on Peter having ‘actual” feelings for Faux. Ugh…

26. Kristina says:

No no no no no no. You hear me, Fringe writers? NO! I am usually willing to wait it out and let the storyline unfold, and trust the writers to do their thing and make it all make sense. I have no desire for them to make sense of this. I understand the need to create drama in the form of obstacles, but there’s a line, after which it just becomes ridiculous. Congratulations guys, you just crossed it.

27. Carm says:

Not happy about this.

28. Shelby says:

Good lord this was disappointing. So predictable. Tonight’s ep could have been done in our universe with Peter, Olivia, Walter etc, but instead we are now seeing those types of eps in the “alt” universe which is tiring and unneeded. Plus, the most SOAP opera-ish, “have no storylines for the alt universes so this will have to suffice” predictable Sl ever. What a shame. Tonight when Bolivia was infected, I could have cared less. Too bad and such a shame that this oh so boring SL and idea was put on here to drag time along because this season Fringe really was good. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. Will still watch the show. I love the protagonist which is Olivia, but “Bolivia & Crew” are time wasters now and the new storyline belongs on a morning soap opera.

• sashay says:

I like seeing the alt-universe. Finding it interesting to see how Faux Olivia’a personality is revealed. At first, it seemed as if she was a happier, less messed up version of our Olivia, but in this episode we saw how she covers up her real feelings with jokes and a happier persona. I’ve never thought she was just unabashedly evil, because she appeared to casually kill off innocent bystanders. Coming from a more military world, this Olivia appeared to view these deaths as collateral damage, necessary to preserve their world. Now we’re seeing much more depth to her, esp. with seeing how she doesn’t view the killing of innocents in her world as acceptable. The two Olivias may be more similar than we realized

29. Nina says:

I groaned out loud that they went there. As someone on the imdb discussion forum suggested, this really feels like a “jump the shark” sort of moment. Seriously?? Ridiculous coincidence that.

I’m also tired of the alternate universe storylines. I love Charlie, but really don’t care about the others.

A whole episode without the real draw and greatness of this show – namely Walter and Peter in all their Father-Son snarky, wacky goodness is a waste of an episode to me. Unless it’s another flashback like “Peter” because even though them as they are now aren’t there, what you’re seeing is framed by knowing who those characters become.

Please make this end up better than it seems now. Now it seems really lame and disappointing – but this is Fringe so I’m hoping…

30. Andrea says:

While Fauxlivia’s pregnancy wasn’t a complete surprise, I am curious to see where the storyline will be headed. I trust the Fringe writers, and I love the show. Therefore, I am willing to go along for the ride.

• Nads says:

I believe that when a child is taken from another universe, it affects the other one. We will probably see scenes like we have in the other universe in the “real” one because a child conceived in the first one is now in the other. We might see, for example, types of black holes in the “real” universe and other weird things happen. I only hope the writers can surprise me because I haven’t been in the last few episodes.

31. Sophie says:

Anna Torv is an amazing actress becaue I love our Olivia and basically hate Bolivia/Fauxlivia. I love Peter/Walter and could care less about the alt version of Walter. I think as some has said, they have run out of truly good alt idea, the alt characters are boring (except for Charlie, but only because he’s basically exactly like our Charlie, but in the alt universe), and we aren’t rooting for them like we do “our” characters, therefore TPTB came up with a really dumb and frankly beyond predictable SL to keep them around for longer. The end was cringe-worthy just in the fact that now I know and realize that this alt SL is going to be drug out to such a degree that I am already beginning to loathe what is to come for Fringe. When/Why did this happen?

32. Elizabeth says:

Leave it to “Fringe” to make this storyline work. Now for words I have never uttered (even through “Chuck” and “Castle”‘s OMGGAMECHANGER stories, which to date have turned out okay): I trust the producers and writers. Everything they’ve done on and for the show is carefully calculated and executed. I’ll buckle up for the ride, but I don’t think it’ll be a dizzyingly nauseating epic failure. Again, maybe my naïveté is showing, but how many fans were up in arms with The Switch and how long it played out this season? IMO, it delivered, rendering many fears unfounded.

Personally, I love the idea of conflicted, angst-filled fallout, and if there was ever a show that could stomp my heart into oblivion and still leave me wanting more, it’s “Fringe.”

33. Ross says:

Why oh why do everyfrikkinone of FOX’s major male/female characters have to frikkin fall in love? I stopped watching House and Bones when they got too soapy and away from the original premise of the show. Now Fringe is starting to circle the drain…I’m hanging in for a little while..hoping against hope that it doesn’t go there. It doesn’t have to.

34. topoopon says:

I’m not so sure it was predictible as much as you’ve all been reading TV Line’s Matt & Mike, TV Guide, and EW.com… I’m always willing to give the writers the benefit of doubt, because so far, they’ve always surprised me.

35. E says:

I’ve complete faith in the creators. This is going to be epic <3

36. Gavin says:

Tonight’s scenario was predictable, make no mistake. And at least initially, this premise lacks creativity. It may turn out okay (I certainly hope so) but as this episode has ended, it turned out with no surprise and the episode itself was nothing special. And Bolivia is a yawn fest. Ooooh she’s so different, she has red hair. dumb da dumb dumb DUMB!!!

37. JohnDoe says:

I have a feeling that this “pregnancy” storyline, they knew people would see it coming, but that’s just to mislead us into believing they’re going down the old cliche road, when in fact, they’re probably going to make a sharp swerve in a direction definitely no one sees coming. Hell, I wasn’t expecting the surprise at the end of season one, I don’t think anybody did.

• DotDotDot says:

I completely agree with you. These are brilliant writers, and they’ll take us somewhere good just like they always do. My question is whether this was an “oopsie” or if it was part of Faux’s mission.

38. santa1563 says:

Umm…actually I’m pretty sure that’s happened on SEVERAL soap operas, to the point of being standard ops for the genre. Really, show? Did you have to go there? And it’s not even about screwing with the Peter/Olivia story, it’s just stupid and disappointing. Why is it all my favorite shows, that have so much potential, have to turn out so crappy? Next up for Fringe, cancellation. I’ve seen it happen too many times. Even if the show does get better, once you burn the fans THEY STOP WATCHING.

39. Pamela says:

I think it’s a brilliant story arc & people calling it a soap obviously have never seen a soap. Stop dismissing something outright before you even know where it’s going. Open up your mind, people. Stop being so narrow minded.

40. Lori says:

Fringe just got stupid. I won’t waste my time on it anymore. Seriously, Faux-O pregnant. And that stupid wig of red hair drives me crazy.

• JD says:

How could the show possibly get “stupid” with someone being pregnant? If this one plot point suddenly made you decide not to watch it that’s pretty idiotic. Why do so many people think this is an obvious, stupid plot point? Her and Peter have been having sex for a while (unprotected I guess) and it was a great way to further humanize Fauxlivia. If they just left the other side as they had, then it’d be a black and white scenario, our universe good their universe bad. THAT would be stupid, and over-simplified. With this episode (which was well-written and gripping as usual) the writers helped to further humanize the other side and complicate the whole thing. So really, if you’re base enough to quit the show after that, then go ahead. Your loss.

41. Ewa says:

Riiiight, not in a traditional way, in a completely unexpected twist, probably as a cliffhanger in season finale, Walternate takes the baby away from Fauxlivia, who in turn allies with Peter and Olive to get the baby back, only to(surprise surprise!!) die heroically in process, entrusting the upbringing of Peter Junior to our Olivia… one weepy weepy scene later … ladies and gentlemen, the shark has been jumped:/

42. sls says:

I have been a faithful fan of Fringe since it started, but ever since Peter had a relationship with Fauxlivia, I have been unable to watch it. They lost a viewer here.

43. Green says:

“Fringe fans, what extraordinary ramifications do you think might be born of this “baby bump”?”

A huge ratings drop and the show getting canceled.

44. lola says:

Terrible. I used to be able to watch this show without feeling sick to my stomach, but they just had to ruin the peter/olivia story and now watching Fringe makes me depressed. This used to be my favorite show. I don’t really see any way they can salvage this, unless Peter isn’t attached to the idea of having a child.

45. Manda says:

Why is everyone freaking over this? Was the pregnancy obvious? Sure it was, but that doesn’t mean that this story line will be. I mean, how many shows have the an affair take place with the scorned’s alternate reality self? Fringe might take a few obvious roads, but they always put their own unique spin on things, making it fresh and amazing, in my opinion. This season has been beyond phenomenal, and I have no doubts that it will continue to be.

• carol griffith says:

I love the show. i think the writers do a bang up job. hey folks, when u have sex sometimes u get pregnant. so why are u all so hating the fact..i am glad to see something happening on the show that really does happen. dont get me wrong i love scifi. but all they do is try to shoot it up..lets see some ho hum daily stuff too.. but you have to give these writers credit…how good at their job would you be? and as far as the soap opera subject, well arent our lives a soap opera?

46. Maya says:

Ewwww..pregnant Bolivia running around trying to be the “bad girl” in the alt universe is about as unappealing of a storyline as I’ve heard in a along time. I was making time on Friday’s to watch Fringe, but now think it will be okay if I catch it later or hear from others what is happening before I watch. I don’t care “what could happen” This overall pregnancy is just a rotten idea and like so many who have posted here, I don’t really like the characters in the alt universe enough to give any effort into watching their storylines unfold. Too bad. This show had so much promise. Now it took the cheap, over used, movie-of-the-week story route. That’s unfortunate.

47. tHeMaNwHoLaUgHs says:

Nice episode… and there had to be an altverse episode to answer the question from last week’s episode. There was the potentially ominous issue of Peter’s allegiance to which universe… then Simon (the mindreader) tells Olivia that Peter still thinks of Fauxlivia… So the obivous question was: “How does she feel about him?”
    Besides, the triangle itself makes sense. Peter & Olivia have dance around each other for a couple of years; there’s obviously love there. But Olivia is a little uptight… a nightmarish childhood as a labrat will do that to you. Fauxlivia is Olivia with a more carefree attitude. As Peter said, he noticed, but thought he was the reason — gotta love a man’s ego. LOL!
    Peter and Fauxlivia shared the romance that Olivia still is hesitant to let happen. So of course he thinks about her… and considering he was dragged away from his real family as a child, would/could Peter walk away from the Fauxlivia when he finds out she’s carrying his baby?
    And none of this babymamadrama (between 2 universes) takes away from the sci-fi stories yet to be told between the two universes. I can’t wait to see how this plays out. :-)

• DotDotDot says:

I can’t wait either. I really don’t get the hate here. Think of the stories they can do with a pregnancy in a universe with different technology/ethics than us. Walternate has to know that Peter’s little spawn there may very well be like Peter, in that he may hold the key to the weapon, and I don’t believe for a second that he wants to be a doting, benevolent grandfather to this baby…he’s got preservation/destruction on the mind and he’ll want to use the embryo for it. So he’ll remove the little Peter in utero, Peter will cross again to save the kid, giving him new understanding to what Walter did to him, take the kid back to his universe, back to the Olivia he really loves and not the one he was conned into developing feelings for, then destroy the altuniverse once and for all. Or something a whole lot better than that because these writers are AMAZING.

• Jennie says:

Bolivia lied to Peter. She knew his Olivia would be hurt and tortured for information in the alt universe and hid behind the cloak of doing this for her universe, yet did not care enough for Peter to ever tell the truth until she was confronted and still ran like a coward. I dislike the Bolivia character immensely and it has nothing to do with the “love story triangle” which I find beyond loathsome and gimmicky. It just has to do with the fact that this character could sit poker face knowing the other Olivia was trapped, fake Peter, Walter into believing she was not who she was to gather info, kill people, then ultimately lie to the man she once loved, even agreeing to marry him,a nd again, admit to nothing until she is confronted. Bolivia is vile and not a character I care to watch a SL play out for. Hope the end comes quickly for her and Peter gets his kid back. Sorry, I just don’t find Peter/Bolivia’s “love story” as compelling as you seem do. In fact, I think it is the most predictable drawback of Fringe overall and was really disappointed to see it play out the way it did Friday night. As many have said before, and for lack of a better word. It was pretty much “lame”

48. Craigf says:

I love both shows. They are highlights of my TV week and I don’t want either to fail. Both have great moments of (very differren kinds of) hilarity and great human dramatic moments. Thank dog for dual tuner DVRs. I don’t want to lose my weekly hit of the brilliant John Noble’s Walter.

49. Rachel Little says:

What possible way is there to twist a lame old cliche oh she’s pregnant baby story?

I feel like they are blowing smoke, like they think the twist is FauxLivia is basically in a lot of ways Olivia, but she’s not — and it’s just lame. I won’t be tuning out, I always give shows more than one chance, a lot actually, but this is very seriously lame and I’d really hoped they wouldn’t be going in such a cliche stupid ass way in regards to the ‘love triangle’ which I kind also think is lame. There was enough emotion and richness there with the two Olivias for it to be different enough.

50. RiffRaff says:

If your complaining about this storyline you obviously have no faith in the writers, if anything I’m very excited and have complete trust in this show to not make this campy and drawn out. To be honest we all saw it coming but I’m sure no one see’s where its going. So stop complaining, have some faith, and enjoy the ride because I’m sure its about to get a WHOLE lot crazier! Good job Fringe, Keep it up!