Poll: Sheen Situation Has Guys More Likely To Tune Out Two and a Half Men Than Women

Now this is a bit interesting. Charlie Sheen’s most recent antics and resulting rehab stint has men more likely to break up with Two and a Half Men than women.

According to a survey commissioned by The Hollywood Reporter, 82 percent of women say they will still tune into TV’s most watched sitcom despite Sheen’s off-screen problems, compared to 76 percent of men.

Charlie Sheen Breaks His Silence, Thanks CBS and Two and a Half Men Cast For Support

A different set of numbers, however, serve up a different slant: When asked if Two and a Half Men should simply subtract Sheen from the equation and forge on without him, 42 percent of the woman said yes, versus just 28 percent of the men.

Sheen, by some accounts, is expected back at work by the end of the month.

CBS Orders More Rules of Engagement, Mike & Molly to Fill Two and a Half Men Void

But perhaps the most curious poll result concerns the public’s perception of Sheen. The THR survey found that 26 percent of those questioned now view Sheen “much more” or “somewhat more” favorably. Is that because he (finally, finally) underwent at-home rehab to deal with his demons?

It should be noted that the Sheen-centric survey was conducted on February 6, before a report surfaced that the well-paid actor has offered to foot one-third of the wages lost by set crew members during the current production stoppage. Per TMZ‘s reporting, Sheen’s offer was made with the expectation that CBS and Warner Bros. TV would also pony up a third each, though a CBS exec told the website that no such overture had been presented to them.

Who Should Sub For Charlie Sheen On Two and a Half Men?

Of course, a complete separate set of data — the Nielsen ratings — indicate that CBS’ Men is enduring the disruption just fine. This past Monday, the second-to-last new episode the show had in the bank prior to Sheen’s personal hiatus drew a mighty 15.1 million viewers and also dominated the demos.

What are your thoughts? Are Sheen’s personal troubles just that — personal? Did the incident that led him to seek rehab negatively color your view of him, or has the fact that he is aiming to remedy his behavioral wrongs a plus?

1. Joe says:

Charlie Sheen’s – or any other actor’s- personal problems, behavior, beliefs, etc. do not determine whether or not I would watch a show. If the writing, the direction and the actor’s performance are all good, that’s the only criteria the viewer should need. Whether Charlie Sheen is reliable and professional and able to do his job is really up to the people who employ him.

• Lola says:

I agree with Joe – an actor’s personal issues don’t effect whether or not I watch. I am thoroughly disgusted with David Boreanz (Bones) for cheating on his wife, but I still watch the show.
      With that being said, this week’s episode of Men had Charlie looking really rough. Hopefully his rehab helps him physically and emotionally.

• Eric says:

Well now, this is of course a personal call, but could you not allow for the validity of the fact that viewers may choose not to patronize the “product” of an actor they find offensive? Wal-Mart has the best prices, but I don’t shop there because I object to some of their business practices. The show may be good, but I think it’s perfectly valid for a viewer to say “I will not watch this because I refuse to contribute to so-and-so’s continued success.”

I’m not saying people should do one thing or the other, but I do not dismiss the validity of someone abstaining from watching the shows and movies of a performer whom they find personally repugnant.

• JUDY Coenen says:

WE LOVE TWO AND A HALF MEN…….MY HUSBAND IS TICKED WITH CBS…….HIS TIMING,HIS JOKE….RIGHT ON AND SO FUNNY…..CHARLIE IS AN EXCEPTIONAL TALENT…….DON’T RUIN YOUR NETWORK……..DID ANYONE EVER QUIT WATCHING BECAUSE OF CHARLIE’S ANTICS..HE IS UNBELIEVABLE…..THE SHOW IS GREAT…………..”PLEASE BRING IT BACK”…….THERE IS SO MUCH BORING STUFF ON TV, AND CHARLIE IS NEVER BORING……..BRING HIM BACK, BRING HIM BAC, BRING HIM BACK……….HAVE I MENTIONED……. “PLEASE” BRING THE SHOW BACK!!!!!!!

2. Moment, bitte says:

Hang on. The first statistics cited – that 82 percent of women and 76 percent of men will watch – are those people who ALREADY watched the show, or just people in general? I know it says 82 percent of women will “still” tune in…but that’s not quite clear and definitive enough for me. It would make a huge difference, meaning-wise, if it were simply people on the street, who may or may not watch the show (like maybe men just don’t tend to like the show as much as women for other reasons). I assume it means people who already regularly viewed the show, but I’m not 100% sure that’s what it means.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well, following the THR link above, it says it was a survey of “700 Americans ages 13-59.”

And since their language says the women “will *still* tune into” MEN (my emphasis added), that suggests to me we are talking about existing viewers.

3. Bogus says:

I think this “poll” is way off base, but more power to you MWM to give Sheen and 2 1/2 more columns in the news.

4. BrianR says:

He is funny but I’m not sure whether he is acting or is actually drunk on the show at this point. a lot of people watch the show to see when it blows up and he flames out for good.

5. Maddie says:

I stopped watching the show years ago. Not because of Sheen, but because it’s just straight up not funny anymore. Should’ve been canceled way before all this scandal went up.

6. Daniel says:

Well this makes sense. Two and a Half Men is utter crap so I’m guessing most of the men who watch it do so because their WAGS make them… but now there’s a moral indignitude excuse not to!

7. topoopon says:

Middle America seems to love this show (and Sheen), which is strange because they’ll be the first people to tell you exactly what your “sins” are.

8. Lulu says:

People should stop watching this show not because of Sheen’s picadillos, but rather because it sucks. The fact he’s a major jerk is besides the point. I would rather have a poll explaining why people watch this show at all.

9. Keith says:

People love this show. It’s only show this network has that we really enjoy. Sitcoms for the most part are not funny this one is so far off the wall it is. We don’t care what Charlie Sheen does in his private life. No one else could play this part but him. This network is making a big mistake. Keep it going.,

10. A big Fan says:

Charlie Sheen made 2 1/2 men. Though the writers and all the actors on the original were perfect and the comedy was perfect Ashton comes no where near the talent of Sheen