Exclusive

Exclusive: Criminal Intent Gets New Captain

There’s a new big cheese on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Veteran character actor Jay O. Sanders has been tapped to play the new captain of the Major Case Squad and boss to Robert Goren (Vincent D’Onofrio) and Alexandra Eames (Kathryn Erbe). Sanders will appear in all eight episodes of the show’s upcoming tenth and final season.

This is the fourth captain on L&O:CI following Jamey Sheridan’s James Deakins, Eric Bogosian’s Danny Ross and, most recently, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio’s Zoe Callas.

Sanders is something of a L&O franchise vet, having guest-starred on both L&O:CI and the mothership. His film credits include The Day After TomorrowRevolutionary Road and the upcoming Green Lantern.

Thoughts on this casting? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Thumbs sideways?

1. Carolyn says:

I’m a huge fan of CI with Goren & Eames. When they left, I stopped watching. I have one thing to say…………… YEAH!!!!! Someone in television finally got it right. I’m not thrilled about the new captain but I’ll deal with it; including since he was a murderer that Goren & Eames busted-hahaha. It would be great to see Deakins get reinstated. I can’t wait for May 1st and hopefully we’ll see many more seasons with Goren & Eames!! WELCOME BACK!!!!

2. Lesley says:

Am absolutely thrilled Vincent D’onofrio and Kathryn Erbe are back in Criminal Intent – not the same without them. Tried to watch Jeff Goldblum but, although a good actor, the role was just not for him – it was BORING. PLEASE PLEASE don’t let series 10 of Criminal Intent be the last.

3. Mark says:

Remember the show Hill Street Blues and NYPD. The one detective played a “bad” guy in earlier episodes of HSB then came back as a detective. I would like to see Ron Carver back as DA as well. But, the most important are Goran and Eames. I hope the writers have some thoughtful story-lines.

4. Sue says:

I’m fine with the casting. He is an excellent actor and I am sure he will do great as captain. However, I am so very psyched about Goren & Eames returning. It just was not the same without them! I am also disappointed that this is the last season and that they are only going to have 10 episodes. Please keep it going for another 10 years.

5. Olivia Tuttle says:

I am watching the episode with Jay O.Sanders playing the hired killer right now. Goren and Eames are so wonderful in this episode as usual. I love this show with Goren and Eames.
    I was waiting for the show to come back last night and then for some reason I missed it. I had so many unexpected things happening last night and then there was news that O’bama was speaking about something important and all of the coverage of the tornado damage here and I don’t know how but I missed it. I wonder if there is any way that I can see it soon. I was so looking forward to it. How could I miss it? If anyone knows how I can watch it now please let me know. I need to see it I love Vincent and with Kathryn as his partner it is awesome. I also need something to take my mind off all of the unmentionable things that are happening in my life right now. Help if you can! I think O’bama may have been after or during the time that it was coming on.

6. Annette says:

I was giving them a great deal of latitude, hoping that there would be some explanation as to how they got the team back. The only reference I heard was someone saying to them “Welcome back.” Okay, I can deal with that. But, sorry, casting as captain the actor that played Harry Rowan in the episode “Dead”…that doesn’t work. Giving credit to Mr. Sanders, the part of Harry Rowan was so memorable, there’s just no way to see that face as anything other than the monster that he was.

• L&O_Fan says:

So true.
      See my reply posts on page 1…

I think it’s the actor and the writing. They do such an outstanding job but then expect viewers to just forget.

What’s worse is when you are in the middle of a show…BBC does this a lot…and you’re all caught up in the characters and in the plot…ya know, all part of the fantasy and mindmeld that is television, and then they have PROMOTIONAL commercials with actors out of character talking about the show and, er, their characters!!!! One, why destroy the illusion you’ve spent $$$$s creating? And two, why promote the show to viewers already watching it!?
      Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
      :\

7. jana Bunge says:

I’ve been a L & O fan for YEARS…and am SO glad that Goren and Eames are back!!! not too sure about Sanders in the Captain role, though…I think that he and Goren are too similar to one another…and it seems like the chemistry is not the same on the show as it was before. Lighting looks a bit different too this season(anyone else notice that?)- it appears a bit “brighter.” But nevertheless, I love love love to see them back on!!!

8. Bernadette says:

Oh good, I am so glad to see I am not the only one who thinks that Sanders is a terrible choice for captain. He even played on another Law and Order I saw and I thought he was terrible in that one. Hey, we remember. I can see if you want to recycle actors between SVU and CI (and then Law and Order) but he really is a terrible choice. i.e. Nichole, we knew who she was, her history, etc. on the show. Same with when Logon went from Law and Order to CI.

If we waited all this time for Eames and Goren to come back, don’t you think we are loyal watchers. I think we deserve better.

9. Johnny O says:

Jay O. Sanders not a good pick at all. Every LOCI fan remembers him as the creepy hit man, you can’t get past that no ,matter how much you try. And what the heck they couldnt find an actor who have never been on LOCI for the final season. Charlie Sheen would have been a better choice as the new cpatain.

10. ohsnap! says:

I like the new captain. He is a strong character, in Bobby Goren’s corner, but doesn’t take crap. I AM THRILLED that they listened to the fans and brought Goren and Eames back. It’s not every actor who can say they created a character that is and will be a hallmark. I never could understand why D’Onofrio was never nominated for an Emmy for this show. I also understand why he needed a break. It’s a long time to do one character and such an emotionally exhausting character at that. Whether it’s for 8 episodes or another season, I’ll take whatever they give us. WELCOME BACK!!

11. Irene says:

I am just so glad that Goren and Eames are back that I really don’t care who the captain is,that said I do think they work well together though.

12. Geldelrey07 says:

I don’t like the guy who’s playing as the new captain in L & O CI Season 10… yes, how you can make him boss of Gorem and Eames when he played as the creep in one of early episodes?… Is there a shortage of actors to play that role?… Wow! Gorem and Eames character is loved so much. Pls don’t ruin it! More power to the most credible detectives on TV !

13. Chris says:

Isn’t that Ziggy from a Roseanne episode?