Bones Boss Weighs In Latest Romantic Twist: 'Booth Went Out On a Limb'

Warning: The following contains major spoilers from this Thursday’s episode of Fox’s Bones. If you have not yet watched it, check back once you have.

Going by the final moments of this week’s Bones, it portends to be a very bittersweet –- if not outright sad — Valentine’s Day for Seeley Booth (played by David Boreanaz). Buoyed by Sweets’ enthusiasm to pop the question to Daisy as well as the love he feels for his own girlfriend, Booth bought a sparkler for Hannah only to see his bid for marriage get shot down not much unlike by a sniper’s bullet.

We know what you’re thinking: Is the door now wide open for Booth and Brennan (Emily Deschanel) to finally get on the same page and evolve their friendship into something more? Or is D.C.’s most eligible marksman now, ironically, gun-shy? As the pivotal episode unspooled, TVLine spoke with Bones exec producer Stephen Nathan about the aftermath.

Bones/Booth Season-Ending Romance the Subject of ‘Spirited Debate’

TVLINE | In retrospect, how do you rate Hannah (played by Katheryn Winnick) as one in a series of obstacles for the Booth/Brennan romance?
We loved it. We thought it turned out very well for us, because with any show like ours, where you have a “Will They/Won’t They?” relationship, the audience always wants the couple to get together – as do we, because you know they’re destined for each other. But to construct situations that are realistic to keep them apart can be difficult. We thought that after they both left and went their separate ways at the end of last season….

TVLINE | ….that afforded Booth significant time to meet and get close to someone like Hannah.
Absolutely. We didn’t want it to be just a rebound or a relationship that didn’t have weight. It was very interesting for us to explore what happened when he actually fell in love with somebody else, and then have that person integrated into the Bones universe and become, though we didn’t design it this was initially, very close to Brennan as well. It was a way to keep Booth and Brennan apart in a way that was very real, and in a way that drove a lot of loyal fans crazy. They were angry that Hannah was on the show. Some of them hated it, but I think they loved hating it. Hopefully they wanted her to go for all the right reasons.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers On Glee, Bones and More!

TVLINE | Booth seems in a pretty bad place now.
That’s what the entire end of the episode was about, him facing the fact that he’s alone. Why is he alone? What’s wrong with him that the women he has fallen in love with don’t reciprocate? Again, we want the audience to be on his side and Booth and Brennan’s side, to hope for this relationship to resolve in some way, because now we have an opportunity to explore them again. But I don’t think there’s going to be any quick resolution, because they both have wounds that have to heal.

TVLINE | Yeah, it was just a few weeks ago that Brennan laid her heart on the line in the front seat of Booth’s car.
That was a moment where she was forced to face her own life and see if she was going to live with regrets or confront her emotional life in a way she hadn’t before. She took a risk, went out on a limb and was shot down, because Booth was in love with somebody else. Tonight, he went out on a limb himself and got shot down. Both of them are gun-shy, and the one thing that both of them have to rely on is their friendship. That’s the thing that’s going to sustain that relationship.

Scoop On Some App-solutely Amazing Bones News

TVLINE | Do you ever look at shows like House and Chuck — shows that successfully put their “Will They/Won’t They?” couples together — and think, “If done right, you can put them together and have good television”?
Oh, definitely. Absolutely. There were a lot of people screaming and yelling about House – “Why did they do that?” For as many people who are disgruntled and unhappy by an event like that, there will be an equal number, if not more, happy about it. But we’re taking our time. Hopefully we’ll be around for a few more years, so we’ll see how that unwinds.

TVLINE | So, just to be clear: No immediate plans for Booth and Brennan to get together?
Brennan was shot down, then Booth was shot down by Hannah. If they then all of a sudden fall into a relationship together, I don’t think anybody’s going to believe that. It would just be a TV conceit. It wouldn’t have any real truth to it.

TVLINE | Have we necessarily seen the last of Hannah?
I don’t know when we’ll see her again, but we loved having Katheryn on the show. No one shot Hannah, so… she’s still out there somewhere in the Bones universe!

Will Bones‘ Booth Be Able To Take Down the New Baddie?

Bones fans, let loose: What did you think of this week’s episode?

Comments (402)

• Well, there it is people. Does any one have the last 3 seasons of “Jag” No need to buy DVD’s of “Bones” Just watch “Jag” and substitute the names of Harm and Mac to Bones and Brennan.
    These two producers are BRAINDEAD. Too Bad because it was a really good show.

Comment by Jeanmarie – February 11, 2011 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s such a good point, I never made the connection to JAG. I really hope the show doesn’t turn into that, although I think they’ve backed themselves into a corner with there writing and lack of original ideas. Seems like it’s become the same episode over and over again. Murder happens, maybe a funny line or too, all the extend cast has to have some camera time. Bones finds some clue everyone missed, leads to Booth knowing who did it. Get confession. Hawk a Prius. Scenes from next week..Rinse lather and repeat

Comment by JR05 – February 11, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being a House and a Bones fan i have to say that House´s producers have treated their main couple with much more respect that Bones. I enjoy watching House and Cuddy together. They are well written and well played. I can´t say the same about Booth and Brennan (nothing to do with the actors of course). But the pairing is boring and unrealistic now. I lost interest. I watch House every monday just to see what will happen with House and Cuddy next. I watch Bones just hoping there won´t be too many cringe worthy moments in the episode. A shame.

Comment by Stanka – February 11, 2011 03:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, these writers/producers are full of themselves if they actually believe they wrote a good story with this boring, badly written tripe.

Gone are the days of witty, smart dialogue with humor; gone are the days of victims one could actually care about and gone by a long shot is the wonderful, complex character that was Bones. Now, she’s an annoying robotic character spouting facts no one cares about. And, gone too are the scenes with Booth in the lab.

It’s bizarre to read these comments by them because, as someone who could care less if Bones and Booth ever gets together and only fell in love with the show that once was – that was so well written and directed, they sound sadly delusional.

Bring back the original characters and some gifted writers andd maybe they could once again tell good, compelling stories.

Comment by Lee26 – February 11, 2011 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you … You have said it all.

Particularly I miss watching how the team are impacted by the cases and how Brennan learned more about herself from those cases – I just can’t forget that Stargazer in the puddle when Brennan understood her Mom’s love and what that mother did to her child.

Yes, bring back them back and stop this shallow stuff. We are a lot more intelligent than they think.

Comment by Joyce – February 11, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t have a problem with the booth and brennan relationship development (which many comments here seem to be quite angry about), but I do agree with these two critiques about the show. Although I do realize that the writers are not gods and can’t be perfect.

Comment by atn – February 11, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My whole problem with Hannah was simply that she was just an obstacle thrown in to keep Booth and Brennan from getting together. I didn’t really hate her per se, but I was very annoyed with the whole thing. Espicially the way they shoehorned her in and everybody loved her. The phrase around my house whenever someone was exasberated was “But everybody loves Hannah!”
    Despite having successful hook-ups on House and Chuck, I would also cite Burn Notice, which was smart and treated Michael and Fiona’s relationship with a weight of reality and truth. The show isn’t about their relationship, but it is at the same time. This is what Bones needs to do, otherwise they’re going to start losing viewers.

Comment by Travis – February 11, 2011 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what Stephen Nathan’s talking about here…I didn’t love to hate the “Hannah” plot. I just hated it. I’ve never had my loyalty to this show tested like it has been this season with Hannah. Let’s pray that Hannah never returns to this show…and that Katheryn Winnick isn’t professionally scarred by the amount of hate viewers feel for her character.

Comment by Hillary – February 11, 2011 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched this episode in a good mood because I saw The Vampire Diaries just before and TVD was, as usual, awesome and pretty funny at times. Basically my verdict for Bones: kind of meh. It sort of left me cold.

No, I did not love to hate Hannah. I *just* hated her. I also happen to think there’s a basic lack of respect for the viewers in her characterisation (best described as incredibly lazy), and also for Katheryn Winnick (the latter in having her act such a lame storyline, particularly in terms of her friendship with Brennan and of the eventual breakup scene with Booth).

So now we have Booth completely immersed into a full-blown middle-aged crisis. “Why doesn’t anyone love me?” is kind of spot on, as is his anger. Boreanaz sold this episode, despite the poor writing. But… too little, too late.

The lesson I’ve learnt for this: watch a show where there’s plenty of room for pairings. TVD made me laugh because everyone’s so ridiculously hot and there’s such a wide range of choice in terms of relationships. Booth/Brennan were my first and favorite ‘ship, but it’s a lot better not to put all your eggs in one basket. I used to love them, but middle-aged crisis? Not even DB can sell it to me.

Comment by Festina Lente – February 11, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m done with Bones, at least until the summer. My patience has been tested. Characters have spun themselves in a circle. Even Angela and Hodgins changed in a way that isn’t fun to watch.

Note to non cable producers. Watch some cable tv, learn how to be more then a procedural, or hey an episode of NCIS (it might be a procedural but it’s dynamic, fun and occasionally coupled with adrenalin surges)

I will say one thing though, David Boreanaz acted the hell out of that last scene.

Comment by evs – February 11, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I join the massed in decrying what was an awfully abrupt and contrived ending to Hannah’s story. How could they think it was acceptable to not create a situation where Booth had to choose Bones over Hannah. To me it hides in the background and somewhat undermines Booth and Bones when they do eventually get together.

I though the sniper storyline was going to offer the perfect resolution. The point has been made that the sniper is going to make this personal with Booth. Wouldn’t it have been poetic had the sniper threatened Booth that he was going to take out the person he cared about most and Booth’s reflex was to go protect Bones instead of thinking of Hannah. That would have been my fanfic anyway!

To keep watching or not? Tough question. It really does become insulting the viewer to keep people apart who are so obviously supposed to be together and have hit the point where there are no more excuses. I am a huge fan of Chuck and am thrilled they successfully have navigated them together. But even that show waited to long with ill advised Shaw sidetrack last year.

Comment by Pagey – February 11, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They will now gay Booth up and have him have an affair with Chef Gordon Gordon Wyatt.

“Pass the butter and salt shaker please”

Comment by DripPan – February 11, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the comments from people saying they’re done watching or took it off their DVR list are interesting, because it shows that you define a show by one element only. In this case, that element is Booth and Brennan’s relationship. You don’t like where it was going/how it’s been treated lately, so you’re done with the show. Forget the humorous interns, Camille’s personal life finally getting some storylines, Angela and Hodgins’ marriage and pending parenthood- it’s all about one relationship, one aspect.

I personally don’t enjoy Booth or Brennan this season, and this season has a felt a bit off, which I imagine is due to the change in their relationship and the presence of Hannah (who, I will also admit, was terribly cast), but I’ve been digging the supporting characters more and more, and the crimes are still entertaining to watch the squint squad solve. I just think it’s silly to completely write off a show because you dislike one aspect of it.

Comment by Mal – February 11, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really have to disagree and feel that the rest of the cast have been royally screwed over in favor of the Hannah-Booth-Brennan yawnfest. Honestly, the way Hodgins and Angela were thrown together in ONE episode is still one of my biggest bugbears about last season. The crimes are really not in any way as good as they used to be. I guess we see different things.

Comment by goodbyebones – February 11, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think I agree more with Mal. I guess it is difficult to know until more time has passed. Definitely agree with Mal’s comment about the tone of some comments here.

Comment by atn – February 11, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But the relationship define the show. Not only because “I want them together” or not…don’t care anymore but also because it’s their main storyline and they screwed it up. So, no hope for the others.
      Also, I have/had tons of show where the ship was doomed and bad written (I am a fan of Stargate…even if it wasn’t at all a main storyline, all their ships were…lame, to say the least). BUT the other part of the show were really enjoyable.
      Here, there’s no more difficult case, they I.D the victim in, like 5 minutes. The cases aren’t interesting anymore. Angela and Hodgins now are boring….and they weren’t the first time they hooked up (and we had no hint that they would broke up). The intern aren’t interesting anymore…And I still wait to see Brennan as a teacher with them.
      All the show had gone in the wrong line, and the relationship is just the more representative of that !

Comment by MCO – February 19, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This interview is for me just the proof on how pathetic this series has become. They are delusional and it’s never a good thing when you’re referring to the people producing and writing a show.
    I have spent most of this season fastforwarding everything except for the Cam, Hodgins and Angela moments. They are the only reason I keep watching.
    If I want to see a similar relationship, I watch Castle. It’s a lot funnier and their dynamic is at least interesting. B&B just makes me yawn…

Comment by Elicia – February 11, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s story made me want to scream…
    I loved the idea that after being shot down by Bones, Booth going back overseas falls in love. Hannah seemed great for him… She decided to follow him back to the states. She wanted to be a real part of his life. Now, those watching have to assume they actually have talked and that Hannah actually listens to what he has been saying. Booth obviously wants a real relationship. However, suddenly he asks her to marry him and she crumbles. Why? It would not effect her career obviously. Then why did she say no, and then call Bones to take care of him? Because in her mind Booth is fun but not someone she wants to spend her life with… She looks down on him.
    No I did not like what happened at all!

Comment by Harnes – February 11, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok. So I haven’t read all 100+ posts, but Hannah said that she wasn’t the “marrying” type and she had been clear with Booth about this. I think on some deep level Booth was trying to break-up with Hannah by pushing the relationship. He wants to be married, she doesn’t, he gives her the chance to marry him or get off the ship. Now he’s free to find someone(Brennen?) to marry.

Comment by Alicia – February 11, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I somewhat agree. I don’t watch the show just for B&B’s relationship and the only redeeming factor so far this season has been the supporting cast. They need to get back to being friends and acting like they are friends and this includes Booth being friends with the squints, he hasn’t set foot in the lab since episode one of this season has he? He sure isn’t spending time with them. I feel like last night was the first time he’s seen Angela since the ep where he found out they was pregnant, in his apartment. At least with his ultimatum of be my partner only or I will find you a new one we will be focusing on some cases and the squints more:)

Comment by Chrissy – February 11, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, TV shows are all about the Characters. Whether it is a legal, Medical or Family Drama does not really matter. All of that is just the frame on which Character Development is based. So, why should I spend another minute watching the characters I have grown to know and love turn into one demensional avatars of their former selves? I will not sit by and watch it become another JAG, where they decide in the Series Finally that they should have gotten together years ago and just ride off into the sunset. Ins;t there so much more to develop after that? If all fun ends once you fall in love, why are there so many songs about it and even a couple of Halmark Holidays based on it? Come on, veiwers deserve better…

Comment by TVFanatic – February 11, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Hannah was horrible and their relationship and possible engagement was a silly sideline and badly done. But can we just talk about the ring? Am I supposed to believe that Booth can afford such a huge rock? And then that he would just toss it away when rejected? Seriously. That’s just ridiculous. What man would just throw that much money away?? I’m sorry, but that’s what annoyed me the most about the show last night. Yes, Booth is a romantic. Yes, the ring was now tainted. But seriously? Just sell the damn thing…don’t throw your life savings away. Idiotic. Just as idiotic as his 2 options to Brennan at the end of the night. So over this show.

Comment by stacy – February 11, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. He could have hawked it at a pawn shop or something. That ring obviously cost a pretty penny, at least what he makes in a year, if not more.

Comment by raven – February 11, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading this interview, the whole Booth – Hannah affair seems like a stall tactic. Just a way for the writers to put off thinking about the chemistry/relationship that Booth and Bones share. The fans of Bones knew that Hannah wasn’t right for Booth. Jeez she wanted to get him a gift when she moved in with him, but it was Bones that knew EXACTLY what he would love. I think after 6 seasons that the fans deserve to have the writers stop playing with their “pencils” and start writing what has been toyed with since the pilot episode.

Comment by Leila – February 11, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I think the show is going in a great direction. I genuinely like the characters. Yes, I’m a man, and I thought Hannah was a welcome, gorgeous addition (I hope she lands a regular role somewhere!) Week after week, the show has some of the funniest lines, best character interaction, and interesting cases. Call me old-fashioned, but that’s what makes me a happy viewer!

Comment by midas328 – February 11, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I beg to differ with the majority for once, because I liked this episode. Booth’s reaction at the end seems very appropriate in these circumstances.

Comment by Cesc – February 11, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you a bit. I thought the episode was alright and that Booth’s reaction had merit.

I suppose where my disappointment stems from now is that based off of this interview, HH & Co. have set up a nice way for Booth and Brennan to make some progress and it sounds like they have little intention of doing so.

Comment by Crystal – February 11, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idiots. In trying to avoid the “Moonlighting” Curse, they have actually gone and created the “Bones” Curse. Hanson and Co. have really written themselves into a corner.

Comment by Katie – February 11, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really need to get something off my chest …

just look the side by side comparison – in Hanna’s words – it is about having fun, having a good time, that’s self centered kind of love; in Bone’s words (in 100th epi) – she did not want to end up hurting Booth and in term herself and the relationship because she can’t be sure what it would in 10, 50 years – that is true love … remember, she’s put her life into the logic, thinking evidence realm otherwise she could not survive all the trauma of being abandoned and that all she had to go on at that point. it is more evident that she did not want to see Booth hurt (remember what she asked Hanna in the hospital when Hanna was injured? not to put herself in danger because if something happens to her Booth would be hurt?) Hanna is about her own self and fun and all that; while Bones suffers and yet be there for Booth even when she has to face the heartache – once again, evident in this last scene. the type Booth wants (like couples being together 50 years in that 100th epi)

have no sympathy for Booth all this season, especially now! he thinks he’s offered up himself 3 times and strike out 3 times, so he is hurt and mad. Well, think about it, to Rebbecca, what is he offering? responsibility (that’s good) because of Parker but not real love (and Rebbecca knows) ; with Hanna – again, in his mind the right thing is to marry her but there is doubts deep down, it is really not the love the type of couples being together 50 years – he said in the 100th epi; and now his ego is hurt, stumped on, he is mad… As for Brennan, yes, it is rejection, but remember what Cam said – if he is not sure, don’t do it otherwise she will never open to anyone and die alone… and he rushed it, pushed it … To be with someone for 50 years, it is a process, not fairy tail … That’s why I have no idea why there isn’t more stories (real good ones) after they got together … may be the writers and creators had no idea that can be a great source of interesting stories, because they themselves had no idea what that is.

it’s time for booth to look into his own heart and face the real truth about himself. That’s the real character development – like they did with Brennen the first couple of season, she’s growing and facing her own issues through out the episodes and all the cases, the cases brought insight and reflection and in term she grew; these last 2 seasons had been shallow … Sigh, but I don’t count on HH and company would even see this … they have lost it all. such a waste on these great and talented actresses/actors…(the whole team – Cam, Angelia, Hodgins, not just bones and booth

Comment by Abe – February 11, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I ABSOLUTELY agree. Part of the reason I am just SO SO disappointed in Booth is that he has failed to own up to his own demons, his own insecurities that played just as big a role in what happened between him and Brennan in the 100th as Bones’s fear. Instead of fighting for their partnership and relationship, he turned his back on them and gave up (when, in my opinion, Brennan has never given up on them; even when she had to leave, she was always going to come back, and she was still searching for a way for them to work). Bones has spent 5 seasons confronting her doubts, fears, and abandonment issues, while Booth has shown no such courage in facing his own fear and childhood trauma. It is for this reason that I am so disgusted with Booth’s conduct in season 6–and even more disgusted with the writers for how they’re portraying both Booth and Brennan.

Comment by Marie – February 12, 2011 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no one has said the obvious – the problem wasn’t with the storyline as much as it was with the casting. Katheryn Winnick was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. If she had even a shred of chemistry with or was in the same league, screen presence wise as David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel, it wouldn’t have been near as bad.

Comment by julie – February 11, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And see, that right there, what the producers are spouting, is why there are thousands upon thousands of fanfics where B/B do end up together. Because if “they” aren’t going to make it happen somebody else will.

And I do love the secondary characters as well. Angela and Hodgins (and their relationship) is really the only reason that I’m still watching the show with any sort of interest anymore.

At least some shows know how to do things right.

Comment by raven – February 11, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge Bones fan, have been since the beginning! Honestly, the main emotion that I have taken away from this season of Bones is ambivalence. I don’t care about the Hannah thing, I don’t care about whether or not Booth & Brennan ever come together as a couple BUT I do care about the way all these people went from a dysfunctional group of people, grew into a family (of sorts), and now just seem to have paired off into little groups of people (that just happen to work together)… especially after all these years. I would like to see the show go back to it’s roots (so to speak), go back to showing how all these people bring something different (and funny as heck) to a crazy job that is emotionally draining and hard to face day-after-day!

Comment by udontknowme22 – February 11, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes to the last part of your comment!

Comment by atn – February 11, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @udontknowme22 – TOTALLY agree with your comments! I sure hope ANYONE from the show is reading these excellent comments. People post because they CARE – they also change the channel when they no longer care. I’m with you – after being emotionally dragged all over Bones scripts, this year, I just don’t care any more about who does what with whom. Click.

Comment by Suncatcher – February 12, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stopped watching Bones midway through this season after the whole Hannah debacle, and then Booth rejecting Brennan. Too depressing to watch. Disappointed to hear Booth actually proposed to Hannah in this episode. Would he have gone through with it if she hadn’t rejected him?

Oh well, I don’t really care anymore. The writing and chemistry on Castle is so much better, not depressing, and the love story is a lot cuter too.

Comment by Emo – February 11, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like when Angela had a girlfriend I think Hannah, in the end, didn’t work because she was gone after only a hand full of episodes. Had they had her around for 2 seasons and then hit the audience with the twist we might have felt something.

Instead she seemed as much of a stunt hurdle to real desires of the writers, and many in the audience, as a February sweeps same sex pairing ratings stunt.

Thumbs down on rushing her away.

Comment by Michele – February 11, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booth is a wuss, Hannah is lucky she got away from the wussy. If Bren is the genius she’s proclaimed to be she’d run as far from him as possible. I was crossing everything that she’d taken Booth’s option of getting a new FBI guy to work with and she left him.

Comment by Bridget – February 11, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the episode. I agree that it was one of David Boreanaz best work. I hope they take it slowly. How can Booth trust himself with Bones if she has already shot him down once. And if they start to see each other romanitically, what if she gets scared and runs. There is always that chance, how can he trust his heart to her. It will now be about her getting him to trust that she is in it for real and will stick around. And her getting brave enough to be the one to say “Let’s try this”.

Comment by Geminii – February 11, 2011 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think guide episode was really well thought out, its going to set the b&b relationship to the next level because now they both have a common experience both getting shot down. Although booths going to take some time I to get over Hannah and get some perspective on his life, which I think Brennan will help him to do so. Booth ad Brennan role are going to the very much switched, booths going to become reserved and Brennan is going to be struggling to control her emotions now that Hannah is out of the picture for the time being.

Comment by Sam G – February 12, 2011 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion you chose badly in the actress your hired/for the life of me dont pretend liked it work/I still feel she was there to make a fool out of bones/the comment page told you how fans felt about her.

Comment by peggy – February 12, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s apparent the tension is wearing thin. It’s time to release the natural progression of the Tempe-Booth relationship. A husband-wife team might just breathe life into the series.

I stopped watching “House,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and several other shows with my wife because the plot became painfully predictable. I like this show but it’s fast approaching that point.

Comment by Bill – February 12, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I normally stay silent and prefer to sift through comments, but there is so much negativity here… sheesh. Guess I’ll post my opinion just this once.

KW, although gorgeous, isn’t the best actress. I didn’t hate her character, but I am certainly glad she’s gone. At the risk of being berated for being the minority here, I think it was a believable plot line. Most of you are ranting and raving about how “Oh God, I’ve lost faith in this show! See if I ever watch again!!”

Okay, if that’s how you feel, so long~ But don’t bring your negativity around here. I, personally, thought the storyline was realistic, even if it wasn’t my absolute favorite. You all say you hate Booth now? Consider this-

Booth is an honorable man. He tried with Brennan, he really did. When she rejected him though, he thought it was a permanent rejection. He had no way to know she just wasn’t ready. He’s a commitment kind of guy, y’know? He WANTS monogamous love with someone- marriage. It made sense that he try to move on. And, somewhere along the way in his rebound relationship with Hannah, he fell in love.

It happens, people. Sometimes the person you love the most doesn’t feel the same, and when that happens, you have to accept it and move on. That’s what Booth did. I didn’t resent him for it. By the time Brennan made up her mind and realized her mistakes, he had something special (so he thought) with Hannah. He couldn’t blow that off just because Brennan wanted to give them a shot. I would have been mad if he had. He has the right to want happiness for himself. So he proposed. Also thought it was realistic, even though I threw up in my mouth a little at the prospect.

It also made sense that Hannah rejected him. It’s been established subtly that she is nomadic. She doesn’t want to settle down, even though I think she loved him too.

Those of you who are upset over Booth’s ultimatum, take these things into consideration: a.) He was drunk, upset, and hurt because he can’t find lasting love, like he’s dreamed of. Not only that, but Sweets’ words are hanging over him. b.) He’s testing Brennan. He needs to know that SOMEONE’S not going to leave him, through all of his turmoil. He needs to know that, even though she rejected him, she’ll still be there for him.

I have more opinions, but this is long enough as it is. Hopefully someone actually reads this, or else I’ve wasted a lot of time for nothing. :P

Comment by Laura – February 12, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops… that’s what I get for trying to experiment with italics. :P

Comment by Laura – February 12, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Laura – do you work for the show? If not, don’t tell us to “don’t bring your negativity around here.” Your points are well taken – but so are the other 80% here who think the Bones writers and producers are ruining a great product that we all used to really like.

Smart show management will pay attention to its customers and LISTEN to their input – good or bad. Those are the shows that will get the ratings, the advertisers, and, get to live another year.

Comment by Suncatcher – February 12, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope! Didn’t waste no time here. Thumbs up for speaking your mind. Very close, if not exactly how I feel.

Remember, when they both returned came back, one of the first questions asked was if either one met anyone special. Brennan seemed very proud of herself and almost pushy when she said she hadn’t met anyone, and then she looked disappointed when he said he had met someone. UGH! My heart dropped. Her telling him her true feeling was a surprise, but again was expected at some time. For it to go back and forth brings a tense feeling, and can’t wait till the next one..BUT, I will admit that I got mixed emotions when they showed next weeks previews, and mentioned a new friend for Brennan. OH NO!! We’ll see.. I don’t have any plans on turning the channel. LOL

Comment by Elaine – February 13, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had to walk away from Bones half way through this year. The first 3 years of Bones were terrific. However, the producer/writers really trashed it over the past several years starting with what they did with Zack.

Throwing Hannah at us and arrogantly expecting us to buy into that totally dumb story line did it for me. I don’t tune into a show to be really PO’d at a stuplid plot and an even dumber character – I can get that at work.

The Bones writers have become “Lucy” from Peanuts – always setting up the football for Charlie Brown to kick – only to yank it away at the last minute and having Charlie land on his a**. I’m done being their “Charlie Brown.”

Click.

PS – Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz are both producers of this show. Have they no say in the direction the show is taking? Cannot they see their plane crashing and burning? Don’t they realize they may have been the ones to shoot down their own show?

Comment by Suncatcher – February 12, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, what they did with Zack was just annoying… he did not even commit the crime… I am glad Hannah is gone so we get more B&B moments.. i actually liked the episode David.B was amazing! I just hope they don’t spend too much time for BB to ”lick their wounds” because people will stop watching..

Comment by JHIULJ – February 13, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put me firmly in the column with the Hannah-Haters. The whole storyline, from the writing to the acting to the glaring lack of chemistry between Winnick and Boreanaz, was just really badly done, and I suspect that it probably ended earlier than anticipated, because no matter how blithely the showrunners may talk about this (silent) majority who loved Hannah or how even the naysayers were just loving hating her, there’s only so long you can ignore the obvious: it was a drag on established relationships and took screen time away from the stellar supporting cast.

That said, I don’t think the damage is huge to the core B/B relationship. The Hannah storyline clearly showed that Booth without Bones *isn’t* Booth – he’s not his best self without their relationship sitting at the heart of his emotional life. And even if they had had sex on the bar at the end of last weeks’ episode, it wouldn’t have looked like a rebound or that Brennan was second-best, because the point is…all roads lead back to them, together.

I’ve devoted more time to thinking about this than I probably should , but I think the disconnect between us, the fans, and HH & Company is rooted in what you might call the alchemy of storytelling. Those who write TV shows like to think they are in full control of the characters they have created — but in good shows with really good actors portraying really interesting characters, the writers lose a certain amount of control.

Booth and Bones love each other profoundly but cautiously, as two extremely damaged people would, and Boreanaz and Deschanel have played them that way since at least S4. That’s why it’s frustrating when the writers get in the way and don’t give them the material they need to convey that reality.

It’s true for individual characters as well: Brennan has grown and evolved over the last couple of years, but the writers keep trying to cram her back into her hyper-rational box, and it just does NOT work. So every once in a while, they have to catch up with her, and you end up with “The Doctor in the Photo.” Then, back to hyper-rationality.

Of one thing, I am absolutely sure: I will keep watching, just to see how — or if — the writers can scribble their way out of this mess!

Comment by heather – February 14, 2011 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I have to say that I was all for having an open mind and giving Hannah a fair shake when she turned up, but I absolutely hated the way they turned Hannah into this playboy sex bomb and made Brennan into this stereotypical nerdy, socially awkward girl who couldn’t compete with Hannah. I really did not like Hannah on the show and I’m glad she’s gone. I thought the story line was completely unrealistic. I would like to think that Booth would have more sense than to fall in love with his rebound girl. It was just sad, and a little pathetic to watch Booth trying to justify his relationship with Hannah to Brennan when really Hannah was the rebound girl, and we all know it. I know that I personally wouldn’t mind if Booth had a girlfriend (not a serious one of course, but a rebound) for a while, but the story line would have to be done right, and this just was not! I don’t think the casting was done effectively, nor do I think the story was done in a realistic way. I also think the writers are selling themselves short. They are brilliant, I’m sure they could keep the show going if Booth and Brennan got together!

Comment by Jennifer – February 14, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More and more I am becoming non enamered to Seely Boothe. He is becoming a big wise ass. A nice guy to have a beer with, but after that nothing. Much too anti intellectual and he belittles those who are much smarter than he is. A book for him is something to level a table, not to read or write.

Comment by rick golub – February 14, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Hannah’s character. She seemed real and three-dimensional to me. I wasn’t very happy with her when she appeared, obviously, but this was a long time coming event to me. And Ms. Winnick’s portrayal of her character has completely won me over. I was satisfied with the way she was written out of the current season and would be happy to see more of her once B&B do get together.

Comment by Alex – February 14, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved everything Emily had to say and while I really loathed Hannah, I agree with Emily; they can’t just jump Booth and Bones together now…they need to rebuild their relationship. Their friendship has seemed fractured since they came back this season up until the last 2 epies and I think I could wait for them to get together while still holding onto the hope that they will actually get together.

I’m a bones fan through and through but GAWD I want Booth and Bones TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!! so I’ll wait lol

Comment by Janae – February 14, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not like the whole Hannah arc, but it hasn’t made me stop watching Bones. I’m personally loving the slow build that they are doing with Bones’ growing awareness and Booth’s learning to look before he leaps. When he nailed Bones to wall last season, I was shocked and a little disappointed. Bones and Booth have never been about fast. It needs a slow build and I”m enjoying it tremendously. I did not like the Hannah arc but I can see how TPTB thought it was necessary. But they need to focus a little more on their growth and understanding of themselves and each other. That’s why I’ve loved this show for so long now. It evolves.

Comment by Kelly – February 14, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, so I’m sure many people will disagree with me, but I happened to LOVE Hannah. Not necessarily as Booth’s girlfriend, but just her. It was nice to see Tempe make a new friend and to see Booth not wanting Brennan for a change. Yes, I’m a huge shipper. Yes, I desperately want Booth and Brennan together. But this was something real. Booth told Brennan he’d have to move on and he followed through with that. I know many people think that Hannah was a useless character that didn’t bring anything to the show. But I think she did. We got to see Booth in that serious relationship. It was a different side of him. So yes. Good call producers.

Comment by Allie – February 14, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Hannah. I think the whole meet Booth, fall in love, get to the point he’d want to marry her, then turn him down thing went a bit too fast to be realistic, it’s not the only unrealistic thing about the show. I liked the character, Booth/Hannah’s relationship, and Bones/Hannah’s relationship.

Comment by Mary – February 14, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seem to be in the minority. I didn’t like the idea of Hannah, but once again our great Bones writers did a wonderful job, they made them friends not enemys. I just figured eventually she would go away somehow. Booth jumped the gun..too soon. On another note are we ever gonna get to see Zack again?? I miss him!!

Comment by Triage Nurse – February 14, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my wife and i love this show and watch each episode multiple times but i am beginning to think its JUMPED THE SHARK . Stop with the will they won’t they and do it already. the Hana plot line was a joke.

Comment by tony williams – February 14, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Hannah. Just not as Booth’s girlfriend. It wasn’t Hannah that made the show almost unbearable this season, it was Booth’s attitude. He turned into a cold, douche to Brennan and it broke my heart. She’s grown so much, why shouldn’t he.

I wish they’d just gotten rid of Daisy who is one of the most obnoxious characters in TV history, and made Hannah Sweet’s girlfriend, because it would have shaken his character up a little.

I am not alone in the thought that this season (so far) sucked ass. Tons of people are down right ANGRY. Many very loyal fans are ANGRY. (I use all caps because that’s how ANGRY they are)

Comment by Kara – February 14, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not agree at all with the “Jag” comment I watched almost every episode thanks to my parents and “Bones” is nothing like it if you agree that it is evidently you have never watched “Jag”. Also honestly I agree if the just make the main characters hook up and fall in love I would get tired of the show. The best part is waiting to see what will happen between them whether is them falling in love or doing something crazy. I love this show!

Comment by Candi – February 14, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the writers are afraid that it will end the show if they bring them together, the problem is that most of us will get tired of waiting, that is when the ratings drop, if they would come up with story lines that don’t revolve around “will they/ won’t they”, like in the earlier episodes and just go ahead and bring them together maybe focus on bringing Zack back or Angela having a baby and bring back some good crime scenes they wouldn’t have to worry about it ending

Comment by LB67 – February 14, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • first of all i don’t want them to get together that will mess things up , I like it the way they were when they first started together , even thought they know each other really well there is still so much that she doesn’t know about life that booth needs to teach her just because he is teaching her things doesn’t mean they need to be together. I would like for you guys to bring back the guy who left on the boat he was the friend of booths, he was FBI to ,Skully I think was his name. You can never hook booth and bones up it will end the show … So please don’t mess up my show … Thanks I have all the season on dvd this is my favorite show..

Comment by michelle – February 14, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “OH ” YA I WANT YOU TO BRING BACK MY ZAC EDDY BACK I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO BUT GET HIM BACK.. DO YOU HEAR ME …………..GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..I’M FROM MICHIGAN AND THAT IS WHERE HE IS FROM TO IN REAL LIFE AND WE WANT HIM BACK ON THE SHOW IF YOU HAVEN’T FIGURED IT OUT YET THAT IS WHAT IS MISSING PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THIS RIGHT …….

Comment by michelle – February 14, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Hannah and was hoping to see more of her and Boothe. I can barely tolerate Brennan anymore. The way she speaks to Boothe and truly everyone else is border line abusive. If the roles were reversed and Boothe spoke to Bones like that ALL the time people would be boycotting the show.
    She needs to become human and understand other people matter. Until then keep Boothe and her apart.
    Oh! And please let’s have Angela look just a bit more pregnant, she’s barely showing. Just my two cents.

Comment by Monica – February 14, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been a bones fan since the first episode. I’ve also been a huge house fan. I must say I would much rather see Booth and Bones together than House and Cuddy. I hated seeing booth with another women! I felt cheated on myself! I was happy to see Hannah go, and I hope she doesn’t come back!

Comment by kendra – February 14, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post