Blind Item: Gay Character Not So Gay After All?

Here’s a blind item that I’ll wager — ba-dum-bump — you never saw coming: An imminent episode of a hit series will find a popular gay character wondering whether he might actually be — gasp — bi!

The question of sexual disorientation arises after the confirmed bachelor has an encounter with a pivotal member of the opposite gender. (A close encounter, I’d imagine!) Afterwards, he’s forced to consider the possibility that he swings both ways.

The curve ball is sure to spark controversy, as well as perhaps a little disappointment. But on the flip side, at least the show will be giving hope to the hetero female viewers who’ve long wished the character played for their team.

But the hope may be fleeting. I’m told by the episode’s end, there will be some resolution. I just don’t know yet, er, which way it’ll go.

So… guesses? The message board below is all yours!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. kari says:

too easy – Teddy on 90210

2. Nicole says:

Maybe Blaine from Glee?

• Elizabeth says:

That’s my guess… triangle of Rachel / Blaine / Kurt

• katie says:

that’s what i thought when i read.
        rachel and blaine, i can see it now…
        but i think he’ll end up with kurt.
        or not, but still gay.
        dude, darren criss is so attractive-it has to be him!

• KevyB says:

Oh yeah right! Ryan Murphy, who is gay, has the two most popular gay characters on television and he’s going to make one of them bi? Please…

• Hank says:

Didn’t Ellen un-out Darren Criss last week on her show?

• Drew says:

I don’t think Blaine fits, only because of the wording “confirmed bachelor.” That’s not something I’d attribute to a high school student, but someone a little older, at least into college. Eddie from True Blood or Eric from Gossip Girl?

• melissa says:

“Confirmed bachelor” does make sense, because we know he’s single (the Gap employee rejected him). “Bachelor” may sound a bit suited for an older person, but Ausiello probably just needed a word to use for “single guy.”

• melissa says:

Yeah, it’s got to be Blaine. I was actually thinking that he was bi a couple days ago… but yeah, Ausiello’s description definitely fits.

• Josh says:

It can’t be Blaine the spoiler said long standing character! Darren Criss just joined the cast a few months ago! Plus Ryan Murphy said Blaine was supposed to be a strong gay role model for Kurt and suddenly saying oh i’m not really gay i’m bi is not a strong role model and eventual love interest! Which is what Ryan Murphy wants them to be a strong gay couple!

3. Jacob says:

Blaine from Glee is my only guess.

• RO says:

Mine too, and I hope so! Blaine’s character has really grown on me, and him just being there as the romantic interest for Kurt is a bit limiting. This would make things more interesting (especially if it involved Rachel).

• McFudge says:

Blaine has “never been kissed” and is a teenager, so calling him a confirmed bachelor is kind of a stretch.

4. Mike says:

It’s Santana on Glee, right?

5. Samantha says:

Teddy 90210.

• Antonio Givens says:

thank you Samantha,you were dead on it

• jen` says:

I was thinking Teddy too, until I read “giving hope to the hetero female viewers who’ve long wished the character played for their team.”

Teddy was with chicks last season. Unless one season counts as a LONG time.

6. will says:

i can only think of two characters: blaine from glee and ian from shameless. i’m hoping it’s ian?

7. Shelby says:

Blaine. From Glee.

You can’t tell me you didn’t see that coming. I mean really. I heard it *before* the blind item.

8. Shane says:

Hope it isn’t Teddy!

9. Gleek says:

Blaine on Glee.

10. Susan says:

Brothers and Sisters?

• Jenny says:

I was going to say it sounds like a grasping at straws kind of storyline that B&S would do but that’s not really a “hit” show

• Noeladd says:

Can’t be B&S it said confirmed bachelor and Kevin and Scotty are married and we’ve already seen Saul have encounters with women.

11. Leticia says:

Blaine on Glee? That would be a twist.

I just hope it’s not anyone on Modern Family. I mean, COME ON.

12. Krista says:

I only read the headline and immediately thought Teddy from 90210.

13. Jake says:

I’ll be pissed if 90210 does the Adrianna thing all over again with Teddy. That would be a huge disappointment…

• Jake says:

I kind of like the idea of Ian from Shameless being bi, we are still finding who the characters on that show really are, so it might be fun to see him questioning his homosexuality. Then again I’m not too sure he’s the kind of guy women is disappointed to find out is gay.

14. Gabriela says:

Since when 90210 is a hit show?

I am going with Blaine too

• dexx says:

On the main four stations it would be gone within weeks but based on CW standards it is a hit, hence the fact that it has been on for a few years and is probably going to be renewed.

15. Andy says:

Hm… doesn’t it kind of have to be Teddy on 90210?

It can’t be Kurt on Glee … because no girls want him to be straight
    It can’t be either of the gays on Desperate Housewives (for the same reason)

Could it be the guy on Greek? (Sorry, I don’t watch.)

• Andy says:

Sorry, forgot about Blaine. The ladies love Blaine. It’s totally Blaine.

• Kris says:

Oh, that’s a good one, it could be Calvin from Greek. However, he’s been such a strong gay character throughout the whole series, making him bi at the end of the series would just ruin that. I kept thinking Teddy from 90210 which would make sense since he’s just coming into his own, trying to figure out his sexuality. I really hope he isn’t bi or he thinks he might be but realizes he’s not (which would make sense seeing as he’s already very confused about the whole thing). They’ve done such a good job with his storyline, it would be a shame if they Adrianna’d it and made him straight again just so he could sleep with hot chicks. Plus, didn’t he tell Silver he was in love with Ian? That’s a pretty bold statement from someone who’s confused.

16. Christine says:

I’m wondering if its Blaine from Glee? but that would be terrible for Kurt if that was the case

• Jenny says:

not at all. Bi means both ways- Kurt still could have a shot. Kurt would just have to face more competition :) I can’t imagine seeing Blaine with a girl would be any worse for Kurt than seeing him with another boy.

17. Jason says:

Finally, a REAL dramatic story arc for Freddie on iCarly.

18. Jane says:

I hope it’s not Blaine :(

19. Caio says:

Teddy on 90210. I’ve been longing for a male bisexual character on american TV for some time, but Teddy, who has just come out of the closet, being bi feels really cheap.

20. Mike H. says:

You’ve gotta be talking about the guy on Glee who goes to the all boys school. The one that Kurt likes. That’s my guess.

21. will says:

oh i forgot about teddy. pffft, if it’s him, who cares? they’ve never really done him proper justification as a gay character anyway since he came into the show as a love interest for silver. guess it’s just typical ratings coup.

22. Meg says:

Teddy from 90210 doesn’t make sense. He was assumed straight until this season with a reputation as a womanizer. To make him bi right after he came out as gay would be kind of silly.

23. nicole says:

Haha Blaine from Glee. I would lol but not be surrprised if Murphy and crew wanted to capitalize on all the screaming fangirls.

24. Alicia says:

We only found out Teddy was gay recently. Sounds like we’ve always thought or known this person was.

25. Heather says:

They’ve already shown Teddy to be bi since he has been with girls so I don’t think it’s him. And it’s safe to say it’s not Arizona from Grey’s since he keeps saying it’s a he.

I think it’s Blaine from Glee.

• Jenny says:

I don’t watch the show, but is he with girls b/c he’s bi or is he with girls b/c he was closeted? BIG difference.

• Kris says:

It’s because he was in the closet. When it was revealed he was gay they showed him trying to sleep with a girl and he couldn’t get it up. I don’t think it’s Teddy.

26. Fe says:

Its Teddy from 90210 hands down

27. Sarah says:

To the people guessing Teddy from 902010: they have already shown him struggling with his sexuality and trying to be with girls, in the hopes that he could convince himself that he was at least bi and not fully gay. So, yeah – IT’S NOT HIM. Blaine from Glee is a great guess though.

28. Marcus says:

Men aren’t bi, just slutty. Sorry ladies.

• Miranda says:

Oh, hello there, offensive comment! Allow me to set you straight (all puns aside).
      Men can be bi.
      Anyone can be bi. There is nothing slutty about that.
      You have absolutely no right to say this kind of thing. Try having a little respect for people who have to put up with this kind of thing every day of their lives. Comments like these are exactly why there is a stereotype of bisexuals being easy/slutty.
      There is a difference between someone who is bisexual and someone who sleeps around. If you need an example, I myself am a proud bisexual who has never had anything approaching sexual relations with either gender. So how about next time you think a bit before posting something offensive on the internet?

• Becca says:

Ummm I think he was making a joke, you can calm down now.

• Rose says:

It doesn’t matter if he was making a joke, it’s still offensive. It’s an offensive joke.

• Greg says:

@Becca and you don’t think there’s anything wrong with making jokes like that? I mean with the way teenagers have been in the news for killing themselves,because of stuff like this, lately, you’d think people would be careful about the kind of jokes they make.

29. Bilal Mian says:

Eric – Gossip Girl

30. LilMaria says:

Definitely Blaine from Glee and the close encounter will be with Rachel… makes perfect sense combined with the Rachel-gets-action-with-neither-Finn-nor-Puck spoiler…

31. Lauren says:

Dear God, do not let it be Blaine from Glee. No. Just no.

• Ilana says:

pleasepleaseplease. if it is i will die.

• suebrody says:

IT BETTER NOT BE BLAINE. This story arc is too important, and this is the last thing Kurt needs.

• John says:

It makes sense to me. Coming out early and being so comfortable, and now with the show deciding to “humanize” him, why WOULDN’T he continue to question his sexuality? Just like there’s nothing wrong with being gay, there’s nothing wrong with realizing, deep down, that maybe you actually do kinda like girls, too.

• Elysis13 says:

People, Blaine is in High School. Since when could a teenage boy be considered a “confirmed bachelor”?

• Raya says:

The wording is something, so it may very well not be Blaine, but this past episode confirmed that Blaine is not in a relationship and has never been in one. (Having never been in a relationship is also a pretty big factor in questioning your sexuality.) Klaine is endgame but I’m a huge Blaine fan and I think it’d be interesting to see if he did question his sexuality.

• RJ says:

I read somewhere that Blaine was going to do something that would dissapoint Kurt as well as some fans. Perhaps this is the cause?

32. G says:

Teddy on 90210 or maybe Tea on skins?

33. Steve says:

It CANT be Teddy from 90210. Everyone that’s saying that is missing this:

“But on the flip side, at least the show will be giving hope to the hetero female viewers who’ve long wished the character played for their team.”

Which means the character most likely started out gay. Teddy was believed to be straight at the very beginning so the female viewers couldn’t have wished him to be straight if he already was.

I’m thinking Blaine from Glee but I feel like that’s too easy. Then again, he is the most swoon worthy gay character on television. Who doesn’t want Blaine on their team. haha

34. Heather says:

Don’t people read the posts.

First of all people, it can’t be Scotty or Kevin from B&S or Marshall or Cameron from Modern Family because they are in committed relationship and the character in question is a bachelor…which means single.

Also, HIT series. 90210 isn’t a hit series and Teddy is just revealed to be gay from being straight for 2 seasons. It isn’t him. And iCarly? Really? Come on people.

Blaine from Glee.

35. Marcus says:

Additionally, if they ruin the only part of Glee that’s worth watching with some M/M/F love triangle, Ryan Murphy becomes the biggest hypocrite in the history of hypocrisy.

• Fran says:

I don’t think one episode of questioning is hypocrisy.

If it’s Rachel and Blaine is better work out that Rachel helps him in the end to get to Kurt.

I want Kurt and Rachel to be friends.

• katie says:

I agree. I’m so loving the idea of Rachel and Kurt being friends.

• Ted says:

If it does end up being Blaine that may be questioning his sexuality, then all I have to say is that I hope it doesn’t involve Rachel. If their is some type of intimate scene between Rachel & Blaine I hope she doesn’t initiate. She wouldn’t be a very good friend to Kurt because he did tell her and Mercedes that he’s crushing on Blaine. I hope this isn’t the case I want Blaine with Kurt so much.

• vigilantevenus says:

how on EARTH is that hypocrisy? as someone else said, it’s fine to be bi, just like it’s fine to be gay. It’s not anti-gay if someone is being honest with themselves and realizes that they’re bi, not gay. Saying that you’re gay when you’re bi is just as much denying yourself as saying you’re straight when you’re gay.

also, the only part of Glee worth watching is…
      I can’t think of anything. Why do I even watch Glee?

• jonathan says:

What I liked about the last episode was that their sexuality didn’t even come up. I’d just like it if there was one queer story that didn’t involve coming out or questioning your identity.

• vigilantevenus says:

well, i guess with shows about high school, there will inevitably be questions. that’s what high school is, isn’t it? even when it’s populated by 25 year olds. haha.

i think it’s honest. but also at the same time a little bit of a ratings ploy…

36. Dan says:

Why not ANDREW from Desperate Housewives?

37. Linds says:

He said “confirmed bachelor” which sounds like an adult not a high school student…

38. Ingmar says:

Perhaps Eric van der Woodsen ( Gossip Girl ) or Blaine ( Glee ). Teddy just came out so I dont see him get back in as bi

39. Confused says:

What’s with the “wager (ba-dum-bump)” joke? I can’t see any play on words in the article itself, so does wager have to do with the show the character is on? Because that doesn’t fit with Glee.

40. Megan says:

Good. Characters are usually either straight or gay, except when there’s gratuitous girl on girl by straight characters. Bi erasure is a serious problem.

41. Nick says:

Ryan Seacrest? I mean, Idol has seen better days, but I’d still call it a “hit.”

42. da says:

Please please please don’t let it be Blaine.

“long wished for”…Blaine has only been on Glee for how long? Four or five episodes? I don’t think its him.

43. Daisy says:

Jon Cooper on Southland?

44. Allie says:

I could see it being Blaine from Glee. There was that blink an you missed it moment with him singon to Santana at the end of the last ep that I thought was sort of multiple-layered…

45. DaveFromCanada says:

It’s Ian from Shameless. They kind of hinted at it last episode. He seemed to enjoy being kissed by his “girlfriend”, and later freaked out when he went back to his bosses house for a tryst.

• Marcus says:

I don’t know what this ‘Shameless’ program is, but it sounds like something I need to be watching.

• Brock says:

How could female viewers LONG wish for Ian to bat for their team?

• Kenny says:

It can’t be Ian. Shameless is a new show — like, brand new. How would female viewers have LONG wished for Ian to be straight when they’ve only known him for a month?

46. Greenlee says:

Blaine. It does offer further proof that the biggest troll in the Glee fandom is Ryan Murphy. He broke up Sam and Quinn because he “was bored” and now he’s going to mess with the most confident-in-his-sexuality character (possibly ever!)?
    Just the way Aussiello wrote the article you can tell it’s about Glee.

• John says:

I’m secretly hoping Ryan Murphy sells another pilot or books another job or something that forces him to be more of a background presence on Glee, then watching as everyone starts to notice a strange rise in quality. Judging from everything I’ve read about him and hearing his sharp dialogue week-to-week, I have a feeling that Ian Brennan pictured his baby being VERY different than it turned out, and maybe be able to steer it home without Murphy’s terrible decisions.

• Emma says:

Exactly what I think. I pity the poor Ian Brennan every time Glee disappoints me in a very ‘Ryan Murphy’ way.
        To me, it might be Blaine with Rachel:
        exhibit A : I heard he’s gonna upset Kurt
        exhibit B : Rachel is supposed to lock lips with someone other than Puck or Finn and Ryan Murphy was all excited about the mysterious Rachel’s kiss during a Golden Globe interview.
        Ryan Murphy loves to ‘shock’ but it’s never ‘a smart move’ shocker. It’s always random crap for an episode without building up or continuity.
        They pretend Glee is about picturing ‘real high school experience’… Yeah right… Hearing the creators telling that is actually what makes me laugh the more when watching the show ;-)

• Belinda says:

I don’t think its Blaine, but if you watched the last episode he’s not so confident, just pretending

47. Mary says:

So not going with Glee.

My random thought? Lafayette on True Blood.

48. Cibele says:

Is this show Shameless a hit show? I don’t even know this show…

49. Meg says:

The BI says the character is a confirmed bachelor. That doesn’t usually happen in high school. I don’t think it’s Blaine from Glee. I think we’re looking for a single ADULT male. Not a junior/senior in high school.

50. Kevin says:

Oscar from “The Office”?

• mandy says:

I actually thought that too for a minute, but it doesn’t seem to fit.

• Yeah–everything would work except the female fans wishing for it. Oscar’s character was “straight” for a season and a half, and talked about a little crush on Pam, before he came out in “Gay Witch Hunt,” and nobody ever noticed him back then. Homosexuality was the best thing ever to happen to the character–aside from being portrayed by one of the most talented actors in the ensemble and one of the few who doesn’t give in to the temptation to go broad every episode.