Big Love Series Finale Spoiler Alert!

Big Love‘s swan song is just around the corner — 38 days to be exact — and HBO has released the ultimate appetite whetter: An insanely spoilery preview of the March 20 series finale.

Let’s get the housekeeping notes out of the way first: The hour-long farewell, titled “When Men and Mountains Meet,” was written by co-creators Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer and directed by Dan Attias (the dude behind some of the show’s best episodes, including season 3’s epic road-trip eppy).

And now for the official and scoop-packed episode description: “With the specter of jail time looming, Bill charts out contingency plans for the family, while orchestrating a last-minute preemptive referendum on the senate floor. Meanwhile, Barb goes forward with her plan to join a reform-minded church; Margene contemplates taking a hiatus to serve as a volunteer abroad; and Nicki despairs being left alone as her family splinters. Cara Lynn considers a return to her roots; Ben enlists Rhonda to help him win over Heather; Don shares some bad news with Bill about Home Plus. As Easter arrives, the Henricksons receive heartening support from their polygamist constituents, briefly lifting the dark cloud that’s been hovering over the family since Bill’s election. Finally, an unexpected vision leads Bill to a final confrontation with his most deeply-held beliefs.”

Um, yikes! Barb switching churches? Margene leaving the states? Home Plus sold out of lawn mowers? Which plot development made you gasp? Hit the comments!

1. Jaggerme says:

I am expecting something sincerely epic with Margene. She has seemed to be teetering on the side of total mental breakdown/suicide this whole season.
    The character I have grown most to love/hate is Alby. I cannot wait to see what the end of the series has in store for him. It is my hope that he has moved to Miami and has finally embraced his sexuality, but I doubt that will be the case..

2. Neela says:

I hope the family stays together….I love this show so much!! I just want them to stay strong together, despite how much of an ass Bill is!

3. RomanGrant says:

I will be extremely disappointed if Bill is not assassinated at the end of this season. He needs to become a martyr! Just like me!

4. Eveateden says:

Ugh, that doesn’t even make sense with what was previously spoiled (there will still be 3 wives at the end of the season). Sounds like he’s losing 2 here, even if he got Anna back he’d still be down 1. I’m not liking the way this ending is sounding.

• Lisa says:

There will be three wives, but we were never told they will all stay together physically. They are sealed together, spiritually married, and that is for time AND eternity. Legal marriages may come and go. So three wives at the end, but three wives together – with Bill? Maybe not.

5. Buffy Freak says:

I’m still watching but it’s more out of habit and hope that it would revert back to it’s former greatness. But so far this season has been as muddled and preposterous as last season. And these spoilers aren’t doing much to make me think things will get better anytime soon.

6. Mo says:

Just because Barb joins another church doesn’t mean she divorces Bill… and Marg leaving the country may be temporary. Soooo the previous spoilers may still be valid. I will miss Big Love!!! I seem to be losing a lot of my faves lately.

7. Jessa says:

I say they escape to the Rockies, Sound of Music style!

8. jless says:

The actress who plays Margene,any relation to Sally Field? She looks like a young version! Even her voice.

9. Beth says:

Does anyone know the name and artist of the song that played at the end when Barb. And Bill were sitting on the bench? Who sings it? Help

10. whocares says:

Hey, they’re all NUTS, crazy, crackers or whatever you want to call them. Maybe Bill will kill Alby, Barbara will leave them and get some sense about her, Margene will become a tupperware queen in some remote country in Africa, and the nuttiest one and biggest hypocrite of them all (Nicki) will burn down the compound then do us all a favor and kill herself.

11. Big Love Psychic says:

The writing during this season and Season 4 has been ridiculous. The show has evolved into the realm of something like “Knots Landing” or “The Young and the Restless”, with a polygamist bent. With that in mind, here are my predictions for the finale, based upon the spoilers above:
    Bill is facing jail time because multiple young female victims testify that Bill seduced them when they were underage. Bill denies these charges and his brainwashed wives believe his story. Barb takes ecstasy at a rave, has lesbian sex while under the influence, is introduced to Paganism, and becomes head priestess of a Wiccan coven. Margene suddenly becomes brilliant, obtains a medical degree, joins the Peace Corp, and moves to Kenya to work as an MD. Cara Lynn considers becoming cousin Verlan’s second wife, since her “roots” involve history of incest and polygamy. Don tells Bill that Alby purchased Home Plus and is turning it into a giant Albyite Church, with seating for 1,000 people. Bill and Alby have an old fashioned show down on the compound. Alby wins the battle and turns Bill into his sex slave. Bill decides he likes gay sex a lot and has a vision where men take on multiple male lovers and gay plural marriage is “the principle”. Barb tries to cast a Wiccan spell to change the situation, but it doesn’t work. Bill’s new calling infuriates Nikki. She goes psycho, her head spins around, she vomits pea soup, puts on an old Little House on the Prairie dress, grabs an AK 47, and goes postal at the compound. Everyone dies. At the end, Bill wakes up from a very bad dream, which was the entire series. He sighs in relief because Margie and Nikki are just his girlfriends, not his wives. Barb has no idea. Fade to black. The End.

12. jackie says:

the show ends with bill sitting in a chair next to the bed barb is lying in. with his head on the bed holding her hand, barb calls his name. he wakes, looks around and realizes he had fallen into an exhaustion filled sleep worrying over barb and her cancer. he kisses his forehead and tells her all will be fine. the doctor says she’s out of the woods now and just needs love, big love from bill and their three kids to recover. he thanks nikki for all her help and gives her enough money (for helping nurse barb and taking care of his kids during barb’s fight against cancer) so that instead of going back to the compound, nikki takes her daughter cara lyn and runs far away. bill sees on the tv that a man named don (forgot don’s last name) has run for senate and won. he is a polygimist and is trying to change the world. bill tells barb that that man is crazy. then bill hears the reporter say that this man, don, is being investigated for marrying an underaged girl named margene who ran off with a juice salesman. bill shakes his head at the ridiculousness of it all and tells barb he will be back soon after he visits his mom in the assylum. his mother killed his father when he tried to attack her. bill returns home, makes some soup, takes it up to barb and reminds her that as long as they share their big love, they will be fine and that she is the only one for him…for always.

13. Pam says:

@Jackie. This ending would be fantastic. :)

14. Pam says:

Ok! Here’s what I think will happen. Barb can’t take it any more and leaves the family to go live with her daughters in Portland. She’s technically divorced and didn’t participate in the resealing in last night’s episode, so she feels free to leave. Bill has showdown with Alby and reveals him for the falst prophet he is. Bill is aquitted of statutory rape. He is then named the new prophet and moves the family to Juniper Creek. At Juniper Creek you are left with the sense that as the new prophet there will be lots of reform (especially as it relates to treatment of women) and a new era is rushed in. The End!

• woodysgirl says:

I also think Bill and company will end up back at Juniper Creek and Alby will be gone. Alby dropped the comment last night that no one has been successfully convicted of crimes that take place at Juniper Creek.. hopefully his murder will be hidden there! Not sure if Bill would be the one to do it. Maybe Nikki will do it – she is just wacko enough and will do anything to protect Bill. Or maybe Alby’s Mom. Pretty much everyone has a motive.. I will be sad to see the show end. But let’s hope the writers are as creative as the fans deserve!

15. Brian says:

I’m figuring Albee will be killed, and possibly Bill will end up running Juniper Creek after all, consolidating this with his new church and his Senatorial power.

16. mike says:

All this crap needs to come to a head in this final episode. Bill needs to go to jail for sleeping with a little girl. She was 15 at the time. Barb finds herself in the new church realizing Bill and his lust for power is not what she wants anymore. Marg after some deep soul searching comes to the conclusion Bill and the others only wanted her to have children for them and the love they say they have ends when they do not get there way. Niki seeing things falling apart makes tries to forge Barbs name and take all the money out of the bank leaving the others to fend for them selves.

17. Anne Randolph says:

I was extraordinarily disappointed with the last episode. The writers took the least creative or believable approach in not having Alby follow through with Niki’s execution. That would have ended the series in a shocking and memorable way (similar to what The Shield did with two of it’s primary characters). It would have played right in line with the corruption that’s existed from day one among the Mormon offshoots and history in general.

I adore the show as a whole, but Bill’s entry into the senate has not been one of my favorite story lines, and I’ve seen Barb joining this reform church for awhile now as well as Margene leaving for one reason or another.

18. janey lance says:

I think that Bill’s power will only get them back to the compound without him going to jail. They will need to retreat to there and Bill has learned why poligimasts live on compounds. They are not accepted in modern society or another way of looking at it is the world is not ready for them.

19. suzy says:

I figured that Bill would do the “Richard Kimball/fugitive thing.”
    The fact that it was featured on Lois’ TV when Bill was “babysitting” her, a few episodes back, is what made me think they would end it w/ Bill being a wanted man on the run.

20. Kris says:

I think when bill said they would go down in flames he is going to burn down the houses and they leave. i also predict lois killing frank and commiting suicide..

21. SS says:

The show is hard to not watch. But, Bill Hendrickson is a pompous ass. He embodies for me all that is wrong with white males.

22. trish says:

I just wish Barb would tell Bill to go to hell with this principle and tell him it is either her along or nothing. He sees the error of his ways and chooses to re-marry Barb and live out their lives as man and “wife” No other wives. Tell Margene and Nicky to hit the road-he loves Barb and they are going to be devoted to each other exclusivly. He turns into a hen-pecked husband so in love with Barb and everything does not have to be his way. Barb is running show. You know-like a typical marriage. If Bill chooses to continue with 3 wives, Barbv tells him to kiss her a@#%* and leaves. Bill misses her beyond belief… Justice!!!!

23. Amanda says:

So the end is here. After the last episode can someone slap Niki for me. Mother of the Year award is never coming her way. Why doesn’t some one tell her to go take a long walk off a short pier.
    For me the ending needs to have this woman put in her place. Bill come to the realization that he is not God and should listen a little closer – Margi needs to stand tall and be something other then a little girl. I do hope that the family is in tact in the end
    I see Frank keeping his promise to Lois and ending her life and then taking his own. I see Bill becoming the new leader of Juniper Creek and starting something fresh and new

24. Ryan Cradduck says:

Here is the Big Love finale. In the finacl scene, bill and the henrickson clan are sitting together in a restaurant having dinner – suddenly you spot alby and other men from the compound. The wives are all happy and chatting with bill – then – the screen suddenly goes black….wait a minute where have I seen this before…

25. mark p says:

bill moves over to showtime with the 3 wives and marries Tara!

26. Becky STL says:

I am so sad this show is ending! I don’t see how they’re going to “wrap it up” in an hour, so I believe there will be a cliff hanger for some reason..I predict Bill will go to prison, leaving the women to figure out their futures..But if I had my way..Juniper Creek would burn, Bill could continue to do his work in the Senate, Bill would respect Barb for her beliefs, Margene would stay and Nicki would be “outed” as I think she’s been behind Bill’s demise all along..We’ll see!!!Hurry up 8:00!!!

27. Chloe says:

Ugh! I am disappointed with this dull ( yet a bit shocking) ending! Even though bill seemed ignorant at times, I am so sad that he had to die! It should not have ended that way! And what happened to Ben and Heather?? Did you like the ending? I did not expect this :(

28. Latest says:

You’r indeed correct on this blog

29. I believe you are right completely…