Zooey Deschanel In Talks For Fox Comedy Pilot

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

Is Fox about to become the network of the Deschanel sisters? Quite possibly, seeing as indie movie darling Zooey Deschanel is in negotiations to star in Fox’s untitled single-camera comedy pilot from writer-producer Liz Meriwether, while Zooey’s sister, Emily, of course stars on Bones.

The Meriwether project, originally titled Chicks and Dicks, is described as a young ensemble comedy about the sexual politics of men and women. It centers on Jessica, the role Deschanel is eyeing, an optimistic but unlucky-in-love  elementary school teacher who, after her most recent break-up, moves out of her apartment with her ex and moves in with a trio of juvenile guys.

This would mark the first regular TV role for (500) Days of Summer star Deschanel, who  was recently attached to star in and executive- produce an HBO half-hour project based on Pamela Des Barres’ memoir I’m With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie. That, however, ultimately didn’t go forward.  She previously did an arc on Showtime’s Weeds and guest-starred opposite her sister in a late-2009 episode of Bones.

Comments (18)

• I adore Zooey and I’m happy to get a weekly dose of her :)

Comment by Jones19 – February 8, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both of the sisters can’t act, but Zooey is by far the worst.

Comment by Jersey Jeff – February 9, 2011 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Comment by CJ – August 31, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll totally love this ! I’m obssesed with Zooey !

Comment by luisa – February 8, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, I was too, until she opened her mouth.

Comment by Jersey Jeff – February 9, 2011 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly you did not see ALL THE REAL GIRLS. She was extraordinarily great in that film, and remains probably one of her only truly good roles. I’m looking forward to seeing if she can carry an entire show, but the premise for this one (along with FOX’s history of canceling stuff right out of the gate) doesn’t sound promising.

Comment by Jim – February 9, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or does this sound a little like “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory” rolled up into one? I’m glad the words geek or nerd weren’t in the description, of Bill Prady would cry foul.

Comment by Matthew – February 8, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see her on a tv show but this sounds pretty generic and unlikely to succeed. Hopefully talks will fall through and she’ll choose a better vehicle.

Comment by Barnabus – February 8, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show itself doesn’t seem like anything earth-shattering but I’ll watch anything with Zooey Deschanel.

Comment by Katie – February 8, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was an absolute delight on Weeds, however, I don’t feel network TV is right for her. Give her the lead in an HBO or Showtime or (even better) FX comedy and let her grow. Don’t put her in a network box.

Comment by Sam – February 8, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The script reads like she’s a young Liz Lemon — Zooey is WAY too cardboard for this.

Comment by XOXO – February 8, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO. She is a terrible actress. Her and her sister act with no energy. Geesh

Comment by Rory – February 8, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh NO. The shnw sounds been there done that and Zooey? count me in the hating her quirky, i.e. bad acting style. NOOO!

Comment by Serena – February 8, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see this before I judge it. That being said, Zooey in anything is enough to get me to watch at least once.

Comment by Davad – February 9, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I’m surprised by the comments here. I love Zooey. I’m hoping they cast Joseph Gordon Levitt as her love interest!

Comment by Steven – February 9, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooh this would be very exciting.

Comment by Allison N – February 9, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hard to tell by a pilot description (Lone Star). I’ll wait and give it a chance. The Deschanel sisters are very talented. I love Bones!

Comment by Jeri – February 9, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her. She is a real women. I am soo tired of the plastic actresses. I am sad that the I am with the band HBO series didnt go anywhere. I dont know if she was exactly right for it. BUt I really want to see that made into a series !! What a great book. I read that when I was 16 and It really changed my life! wow that was a 10 years ago, I need to do a reread. Hehe. GIrls go get this book now. It is awesome.
    JB