Zooey Deschanel In Talks For Fox Comedy Pilot

Is Fox about to become the network of the Deschanel sisters? Quite possibly, seeing as indie movie darling Zooey Deschanel is in negotiations to star in Fox’s untitled single-camera comedy pilot from writer-producer Liz Meriwether, while Zooey’s sister, Emily, of course stars on Bones.

The Meriwether project, originally titled Chicks and Dicks, is described as a young ensemble comedy about the sexual politics of men and women. It centers on Jessica, the role Deschanel is eyeing, an optimistic but unlucky-in-love  elementary school teacher who, after her most recent break-up, moves out of her apartment with her ex and moves in with a trio of juvenile guys.

This would mark the first regular TV role for (500) Days of Summer star Deschanel, who  was recently attached to star in and executive- produce an HBO half-hour project based on Pamela Des Barres’ memoir I’m With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie. That, however, ultimately didn’t go forward.  She previously did an arc on Showtime’s Weeds and guest-starred opposite her sister in a late-2009 episode of Bones.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. Jones19 says:

I adore Zooey and I’m happy to get a weekly dose of her :)

2. luisa says:

I’ll totally love this ! I’m obssesed with Zooey !

• Jersey Jeff says:

Yea, I was too, until she opened her mouth.

• Jim says:

Clearly you did not see ALL THE REAL GIRLS. She was extraordinarily great in that film, and remains probably one of her only truly good roles. I’m looking forward to seeing if she can carry an entire show, but the premise for this one (along with FOX’s history of canceling stuff right out of the gate) doesn’t sound promising.

3. Matthew says:

Is it just me or does this sound a little like “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory” rolled up into one? I’m glad the words geek or nerd weren’t in the description, of Bill Prady would cry foul.

4. Barnabus says:

I’d love to see her on a tv show but this sounds pretty generic and unlikely to succeed. Hopefully talks will fall through and she’ll choose a better vehicle.

5. Katie says:

The show itself doesn’t seem like anything earth-shattering but I’ll watch anything with Zooey Deschanel.

6. Sam says:

She was an absolute delight on Weeds, however, I don’t feel network TV is right for her. Give her the lead in an HBO or Showtime or (even better) FX comedy and let her grow. Don’t put her in a network box.

7. XOXO says:

The script reads like she’s a young Liz Lemon — Zooey is WAY too cardboard for this.

8. Rory says:

NO. She is a terrible actress. Her and her sister act with no energy. Geesh

9. Serena says:

Ahh NO. The shnw sounds been there done that and Zooey? count me in the hating her quirky, i.e. bad acting style. NOOO!

10. Davad says:

I would like to see this before I judge it. That being said, Zooey in anything is enough to get me to watch at least once.

11. Steven says:

Wow, I’m surprised by the comments here. I love Zooey. I’m hoping they cast Joseph Gordon Levitt as her love interest!

12. Allison N says:

Oooh this would be very exciting.

13. Jeri says:

It’s hard to tell by a pilot description (Lone Star). I’ll wait and give it a chance. The Deschanel sisters are very talented. I love Bones!

14. Jessica Bunny says:

I love her. She is a real women. I am soo tired of the plastic actresses. I am sad that the I am with the band HBO series didnt go anywhere. I dont know if she was exactly right for it. BUt I really want to see that made into a series !! What a great book. I read that when I was 16 and It really changed my life! wow that was a 10 years ago, I need to do a reread. Hehe. GIrls go get this book now. It is awesome.
    JB