RuPaul's Drag Race Recap: Carried Away!

“You can’t be lifting up drag queens!” Those seven words from horrified onlooker Manila Luzon pretty much summed up the “Lipsych for Your Life” shenanigans that went down between Mimi Imfurst and India Ferrah on this week’s episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race. Indeed, Mimi’s shocking decision to forcibly hoist a stunned India over her shoulders — midway through performing Thelma Houston’s “Don’t Leave Me This Way,” no less — provided a violent but entertaining shock paddle to an otherwise flat episode.

The crazy thing is, prior to Mimi’s “lift and conquer” maneuver, it appeared as though she’d be getting the “chanté, you stay” treatment from Ru. Sure, her fitness video shtick was stooo-pid, as Michelle Visage so aptly put it, but it was at least more memorable than whatever India did. (I could comb through my notes to get the specifics, but why waste my time or yours?) Plus, annoying as Mimi has been all season, her leopard-and-black-ruffles runway ensemble trampled India’s circus-ringleader-meets-low-rent-stripper number.

Not surprisingly, self-absorbed Mimi huffed that she didn’t agree with the judges’ decision, and that she was going to “keep doing me.” Uh-huh. That ought to work out really well. Look for Mimi to be playing her bathroom mirror — audience of one — every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8 and 11p.m.

The good news is that as Mimi bobbled and staggered with India over her shoulders, the latter queen got shaken out of her episode-long stupor. It’s not every day you see a drag lady toss her long auburn wig to the floor and perform a series of showstopping somersaults down the center of the runway. Git it, mama!

I will say, however, I was a little surprised not to see Shangela at the top. Her halle-hula-hoop routine slayed — both in workshop mode and in front of the cameras. And while she may not have the most, um, refined runway look (loved Ru’s reference to the lost Kardashian sister, Kiki) Shangela delivers the best sound bites of any queen this season. Exhibit A: “Ru’s probably thinking, ‘This ho don’t even know how to hula-hoop!” Exhibit B: “Get it, Stacy! Eat that chicken, you bitch!”

Other highlights from this week’s show:

* Raja’s introduction of the term “garage doors” to describe the lids of a lady sporting a single shade of eyeshadow.
* Raja popping the cork on a bottle of bitch, and imagining Stacy Layne Matthews’ “listening to bullfrogs and drinking sweet tea in the backwoods.”
* Susan Powter!
* And guest judge La Toya Jackson reminiscing about having had a fitness video back in the day, despite the fact that she never worked out (!).

What did you think of this week’s Drag Race? Did the right queen go home? Will you miss Mimi, if only for lack of having a contestant to root against? Sound off below, and for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. Dear Raja: You’re a fierce queen, and that’s all fine and dandy, but you are NOT the best thing to happen to Drag. Your arrogance has really made you fall out of favor with me and many other viewers. You think you know it all, you think you are the only one who can do it all, and that’s not the spirit of this competition. Rupaul is one of the fiercest drag queens to ever do it, but she’s also humble. Raja you hating on Stacy is getting old, and I would love for you to find something else to do.

I support the decision that Ru made to eliminate Mimi, but a part of me is going to miss Mimi Imfurst. The show needs a queen like Mimi, but arguably one that is more polished and stable. Mimi was a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways, and it saddens me that she let the pressure get to her. I liked her on the Christmas runway challenge, and I liked her during Drag Queens in Outer Space. I got what she was trying to do, and the clever reference to international drag she was trying to make. Again Mimi just let the pressure get to her. She should have never crossed the line of physically attacking another contestant. That is a no no.

• Mona Ono says:

It’s called Rupaul’s Drag Race, not Rupaul’s Older Woman Who Shops at Walmart. Stacy, honey. Leave it to the pros.

2. Emma says:

I love Raja, but she’ll never win, because she likes to be more of a female impersonator than a queen. On the other hand, she dares to be different (maybe because for her it’s not about gathering more fame -> getting better drag show gigs), and we’ll need different before the only thin left are a bunch of Manila/India/Shangela/Mariah -bots.

3. Brian F says:

Mimi Imfurst was confused – she thought she was on the WWE tour. What a mess!

4. Kari says:

Sweet Delta Work broke my heart. She is fierce and fabulous and needs to learn to love herself. Damn the skinny bitches!

5. GiGi says:

The best recap ever!

6. Gino says:

As a big gal myself, I was horrified that Mimi was trying to represent the large and in charge set. She was a stinking mess from day one, and I for one am glad that she has left the building. On the other hand, Delta Work is a fabulous queen, and I hope she continues to do us big gals proud. Go Delta!

7. Chris says:

I’m happy that Mimi’s exited. It allows us to fully concentrate on the other contestants without being distracted by histrionics. I love Raja as an ‘alternative’ queen but I can’t help hoping that Stacy will ‘find’ herself and knock our socks off. In any case, I will stop watching ‘Untucked’ so that the bitchiness won’t turn me off completely.

8. Jake says:

This season SUCKS!!! None of the queens are the calibar of the prior seasons…I usually have a favorite by now, and I still don’t.. Not sure what happened this season, but I have yet to be impressed by any of the current cast.

9. Jake says:

And what is up with Michele Visage? She looked like a hot mess on the last episode…if she is gonna judge, she should atleast look like a judge instead of looking like she just climbed out of bed. I miss Merle.

• bob says:

thank you! it is brutal watching michele looking like a train wreck and judging these dolls. particularly since you know there’s someone else helping to get her up in ‘drag’

10. Deion says:

Yes!!! Mimi is out! I also agree with the comment about Shangela, while her runway looks need SO much help, she is usually the most entertaining.

11. Francisco says:

I think the episode was entertaining. Mimi’s downfall was her own ego. It kept her on cloud 9 and didn’t allow her to evaluate herself. In competitions, such as reality tv ones, one have to be able to adapt to changes and be self critic. I like that Carmen tone it down and wear something on the runway. I think the stars of the night were Yara Sofia and Alexis Mateo, they deliver laughter and they worked the runway. I hope India step up, like she did to save herself from elimination, and show some edge.

12. Richard Bailey says:

I’d really like to congradulate Shangela on winning the season 3 Rupaul’s drag race. Last season it was almost half-way before we knew who was definately going to win regardless of talent…or the lack of. The second Shangela showed up and Ru’s reactions to her, the obvious was revealed. So, bottom line, congratulations Shangela for winning this season, you are most certainly the least talented and Ru’s obvious pet.