Ratings: House Hits Season Highs, Chicago Code Cops Decent Numbers

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Fox this week enjoyed its highest-rated Monday night of the season, thanks to strong outings from House and the new cop drama from Shield auteur Shawn Ryan, The Chicago Code.

House dominated the 8 o’clock hour with a season-high 12.3 million total viewers and a 4.3 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo. The medical drama was up 16 percent in both measures from its last fresh outing.

The Chicago Code led out of that with an audience of 9.4 mil and a 2.45 rating, delivering increases of 33 percent and 13 percent, respectively, on Lie To Me‘s week-ago season finale.

Elsewhere on Monday:

* Opening the night, ABC’s The Bachelor hit a season high in total viewers, with 9.74 million. Chuck (5.42 million viewers/1.7) matched last week’s ratings low.

* At 9 pm, Two and a Half Men (15.1 mil/4.4) was on par with its last new episode, controversy be thanked damned. NBC’s The Cape plunged another 14 percent, hitting series lows (4.56 mil/1.3).

* Hawaii Five-0 led the 10 o’clock hour with 10.86 million viewers and a (series low) 2.9 rating. Placing second, Castle (9.3 mil/2.5) was up a couple of percentage points, while NBC’s third-place Harry’s Law (9.1 mil/1.6 rating) dropped 16 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

What was your TV of choice this Monday night?

Comments (39)

• F. YEAH, HOUSE!

Comment by David – February 8, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Harry’s levels out or improves. I definitely enjoy the series and hope for more.

Comment by John Berggren – February 8, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too. I am really enjoying the show.

Comment by ErixN – February 8, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me three. Really like this show!

Comment by NanCeE* – February 8, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House was really good last night. I´m glad it got those ratings.

Comment by Fillia – February 8, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the heck was up with the excessive background noise on House last night? Between the overwhelming noise of rain and deafening machine hums in the irregular conference rooms, I had to back up several times to figure out what was being said.

Comment by Rock Golf – February 8, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it was because they used very minimal music, so they added in the background noises probably for dramatic effect. I dunno, it didn’t seem that loud to me.

Comment by Jeanne – February 11, 2011 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Human Target on SyFy at 9 pm and used the DVR for The Chicago Code. At 10 pm it was Hawaii 5-0 with Castle on the DVR. Disappointed that 5-0 is going down in the key demo, but it is a tough night with three good shows on. (I watched part of Harry’s Law) when the others were reruns, but unless you have two DVRS, can’t see all three. I imagine the big drop in Harry’s Law partly related to competing against new episodes of popular shows. Maybe NBC should move it to another slot.

Comment by FayeD – February 8, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the Chicago code. It’s a fresh take on crime drama genre and it was engaging from the start. Jennifer Beals, Matt Lauria, Jason Clarke and Delroy Lindo make-up a great cast and I hope it’s ratings stay strong even after the expected drop fellowing the premiere.

Comment by Frank – February 8, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree and disagree. While I thought Shawn Ryan did a great job at once again presenting a new, fresh take on the standard cop drama, I thought his actual script was severely lacking.

While the talented cast often handled it immaculately, there was a heaping dose of almost nauseatingly expository or on-the-nose dialogue (“on-the-nose dialogue” referring to dialogue that features information expressly intended to clarify or enlighten the audience to key plot points). One real stinker I remember offhand was when Supt. Colvin was talking to Wysocki and says something like, “I’m going after the second most powerful man in Chicago next to the mayor.” Uh, yeah, I think we already got that, Shawn. And Wysocki’s follow-up, “He IS the most powerful man in the city,” was just beating an already-beaten dead horse.

I really think that Mr. Ryan underestimated himself and the intelligence of his audience. A lot of this information that he presented (in particular the character flashback-soliloquies which attempted to artificially create an audience-character relationship and failed miserably, I feel), could have been either inferred by the audience, or might have unfolded organically as the show went on.

For example, rather than having Dina Wysocki come out and basically say, “By the way, guys, I’m Detective Wysocki’s niece, but he’s like my dad!” we could have discovered their relationship slowly, through their interactions. It would have been so much more satisfying that way. Her partner could have referred to her as “Wysocki” or we could have gotten a close-up shot of the name placard pinned to her uniform. That makes us go, “Ooh, there’s a relationship there! Is she his sister? Cousin? Daughter?” Then later, all it would have taken was a well-placed line where she proffers a piece of cop-related advice to her partner that her uncle told her. That allows us to make that connection ourselves, giving us a very satisfying moment where we say, “Aha, she’s his niece!”

Basically, I think Chicago Code (sounds much better without “The” in my opinion) has a lot of potential, but Ryan, his producers, and his writing staff have to not treat us like children. There are plenty of intelligent shows that don’t spell out everything, and granted, some are successful and some are not. But any truly great show allows room for the audience to forge their own connections, both to the characters, and between relevant pieces of information.

Maybe Ryan is just jaded by the failure of Terriers and feels like he has to dumb things down, especially for network TV. Whatever the reason, though, he has to give the viewers more credit, and the actors as well, considering these are all talented people who can convey plenty of info without actually having to utter a word.

That said, I did like it enough that I will tune in next week. I particularly enjoyed Jason Clarke, who was fantastic.

Comment by DL – February 8, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Thirteen back yet on House?

Comment by Clarissa – February 8, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr Mitovitch…Chicago Code lost over half the House lead in and dropped 13% at the half hour. Not sure how this constitutes a “strong outing.”

Comment by eyeknow – February 8, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how many viewers HIMYM pulled in? That’s what I was watching, although I wish I could have seen both that and House… I’ll have to catch up with the latter soon :)

Comment by Jeanne – February 8, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HIMYM did 10.1 million viewers/3.8, which was down juuuuust a bit from last fresh episode but good for 2nd place in the half hour.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 8, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Chicago Code was good. Not as good as The Shield but what can you expect since it’s on Fox.

Comment by V – February 8, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mike&Molly and Harry’s Law are amazing.
    Seems the post championship spot didn’t help H50 at all.

Comment by Pamela – February 8, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it’s going to be interesting how the numbers for House’s next episodes will be. Everyone I know (and a lot of reviewers) thought the episode was awful. I’ve got more than enough of the Cuddy/Huddy show. NO thanks.

Comment by Liz – February 8, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House and The Chicago Code. I wasn’t expecting to like The Chicago Code, but it was pretty compelling by the end of the episode. I will definitely be back next week. I’ll catch Hawaii 5-0 OnDemand.

Comment by Lily – February 8, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i found chicago code rather boring and i don’t think i’ll be watching again. it just didn’t grip my attention and i thought it was rather cliched.

Comment by Glee Fan – February 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Castle! Love this show and glad it improved in ratings.

Comment by Leigh – February 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…I absolutely love CASTLE. Great show, suspense, comedy, romance…it has it all.

Comment by Catherine – February 14, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved the Chicago Code too….
    against 2,5 repeats,hope better ratings and all reviewers said epi 2 and 3 are great…

Comment by karin – February 8, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, HIMYM, 5-0, Castle on DVR

Comment by Richard – February 8, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to go house! Awesome episode! It amazes me that their viewership was low because

Comment by jane – February 8, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will now finish. The reason I don’t understand viewership numbers ia because it is a amazingly written show with brillant acting

Comment by jane – February 8, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House was fantastic as usual.It had quite a bit of pathos, very real. Chuck is such a wonderful show,please people give it a go.It has to be renewed for season 5,I will miss the cast so much.
    Huddy and Charah forever!

Comment by hels – February 8, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welp. Chuck is boned. :(

Comment by Akiyama – February 8, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that Harry’s Law is still holding strong. Even though it did drop a little it’s still in pretty good position considering that this is it’s first night with real competition and it had a horrid lead-in.

Comment by Joe – February 8, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Chuck, Being Human, Two and a Half Men and Castle

Comment by Lisa – February 8, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuesday I’ll be watching No Ordinary Family, Raising Hope, Parenthood, Traffic Light, V, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and White Collar

Comment by Lisa – February 8, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wednesday is HUMAN TARGET, The Middle, Modern Family, Mr. Sunshine, Ghost Hunters International and JUSTIFIED.

Comment by Lisa – February 8, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wednesday tune in for HUMAN TARGET and the Premiere of JUSTIFIED on FX

Comment by Lisa – February 8, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love you guys and think it’s awesome that you have your own site now but I have to say, you’re pun-riddled headlines seem to be getting cheesier and cheesier with time!! “Chicago Code COPS decent ratings”, “The League TACKLES a third season”, “Did Supernatural give Fringe A SCARE”… lol. I know, I know, I’m alone on this one. You guys aren’t the only offenders either, and I know you’re just trying to be creative.

I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a pun-hater. Love you guys though.

Comment by Steve – February 8, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go HOUSE!!!! I miss Lie to Me though. I thought Chicago Code was rather disappointing…. it seemed slow and not captivating enough.

Comment by Elizabeth – February 8, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too enjoy Harry’s Law. Unfortunately, no matter how good a show is the show’s success is based on the 18-49 demographic. If that’s the case – why in god’s name do you have the lead actor “old.” Thank God NBC is a total failure in its shows — it bodes well for a good series like Harry’s Law. If this show was on CBS, it would have been cancelled after one episode.

Comment by Ron – February 9, 2011 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, I though House was pretty awful, way too much Cuddy. Not surprised about the ratings though, keyword: Super Bowl.

Comment by Liz – February 9, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Castle. Finally, some fresh air and lightness in television. So tired of all the CSI, drauuuma, and sorrow. How nice to have some fun and ‘entertainment’ in television. What a novel idea – entertainment not headline serials…..

Comment by Robin in Cody – February 13, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve noticed about every four months, the Networks r giving us new season for series shows The new series get round 10-20 episode now, then its “CANCEL” shortly after…The new sneaky way of the networks, the series just be gone, without “SERIES FINALE”. Perhaps by throwing on so many more new shows, its just a diversion, to keep us, the viewers confused. Hoping it want be notice. Perhaps “ NETWORKS” “MAKE” more MONEY off the “SPONSORS” by throwing on about every four, “SOOO MANY new SERIES SHOWS”. The New Series shows, be lucky, if they make it to 40 episode before the new series show gets canceled. I think the cheaper production of Reality TV changed the way the networks view series shows. If you noticed they bring a show back by popular demand and wait about nine months before it airs again. Setting up series show for failure. By that time. people forget about the show. Its clear that the networks don’t want “LONG RUNNING SERIES TYPE SHOWS” , anymore. Its airway for cheapest production. Adult Cartoons, Game & Talk Shows. Keeping garbage, cancel series show.

Comment by I’m scared for the Harry's Law – April 10, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Network draw me in, as the spider did the fly. Networks, tease me, with 10 to 40 episode. The Networks,Wine and Dine me without no happy ending..The Networks, played with my emotion. Killing cupid, breaking my heart again and again. Leaving me frustrated, wondering have you canceled another Drama/ Sitcom show. Treating me as if, was just a stepchild of yours. As if , I was yours to knock around, whenever you wanted too.

Comment by KARL – April 10, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post