Ratings: House Hits Season Highs, Chicago Code Cops Decent Numbers

Fox this week enjoyed its highest-rated Monday night of the season, thanks to strong outings from House and the new cop drama from Shield auteur Shawn Ryan, The Chicago Code.

House dominated the 8 o’clock hour with a season-high 12.3 million total viewers and a 4.3 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo. The medical drama was up 16 percent in both measures from its last fresh outing.

The Chicago Code led out of that with an audience of 9.4 mil and a 2.45 rating, delivering increases of 33 percent and 13 percent, respectively, on Lie To Me‘s week-ago season finale.

Elsewhere on Monday:

* Opening the night, ABC’s The Bachelor hit a season high in total viewers, with 9.74 million. Chuck (5.42 million viewers/1.7) matched last week’s ratings low.

* At 9 pm, Two and a Half Men (15.1 mil/4.4) was on par with its last new episode, controversy be thanked damned. NBC’s The Cape plunged another 14 percent, hitting series lows (4.56 mil/1.3).

* Hawaii Five-0 led the 10 o’clock hour with 10.86 million viewers and a (series low) 2.9 rating. Placing second, Castle (9.3 mil/2.5) was up a couple of percentage points, while NBC’s third-place Harry’s Law (9.1 mil/1.6 rating) dropped 16 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

What was your TV of choice this Monday night?

1. David says:

F. YEAH, HOUSE!

2. John Berggren says:

Hope Harry’s levels out or improves. I definitely enjoy the series and hope for more.

3. Fillia says:

House was really good last night. I´m glad it got those ratings.

• Rock Golf says:

What the heck was up with the excessive background noise on House last night? Between the overwhelming noise of rain and deafening machine hums in the irregular conference rooms, I had to back up several times to figure out what was being said.

• Jeanne says:

I think it was because they used very minimal music, so they added in the background noises probably for dramatic effect. I dunno, it didn’t seem that loud to me.

4. FayeD says:

I watched Human Target on SyFy at 9 pm and used the DVR for The Chicago Code. At 10 pm it was Hawaii 5-0 with Castle on the DVR. Disappointed that 5-0 is going down in the key demo, but it is a tough night with three good shows on. (I watched part of Harry’s Law) when the others were reruns, but unless you have two DVRS, can’t see all three. I imagine the big drop in Harry’s Law partly related to competing against new episodes of popular shows. Maybe NBC should move it to another slot.

5. Frank says:

I really enjoyed the Chicago code. It’s a fresh take on crime drama genre and it was engaging from the start. Jennifer Beals, Matt Lauria, Jason Clarke and Delroy Lindo make-up a great cast and I hope it’s ratings stay strong even after the expected drop fellowing the premiere.

• DL says:

I agree and disagree. While I thought Shawn Ryan did a great job at once again presenting a new, fresh take on the standard cop drama, I thought his actual script was severely lacking.

While the talented cast often handled it immaculately, there was a heaping dose of almost nauseatingly expository or on-the-nose dialogue (“on-the-nose dialogue” referring to dialogue that features information expressly intended to clarify or enlighten the audience to key plot points). One real stinker I remember offhand was when Supt. Colvin was talking to Wysocki and says something like, “I’m going after the second most powerful man in Chicago next to the mayor.” Uh, yeah, I think we already got that, Shawn. And Wysocki’s follow-up, “He IS the most powerful man in the city,” was just beating an already-beaten dead horse.

I really think that Mr. Ryan underestimated himself and the intelligence of his audience. A lot of this information that he presented (in particular the character flashback-soliloquies which attempted to artificially create an audience-character relationship and failed miserably, I feel), could have been either inferred by the audience, or might have unfolded organically as the show went on.

For example, rather than having Dina Wysocki come out and basically say, “By the way, guys, I’m Detective Wysocki’s niece, but he’s like my dad!” we could have discovered their relationship slowly, through their interactions. It would have been so much more satisfying that way. Her partner could have referred to her as “Wysocki” or we could have gotten a close-up shot of the name placard pinned to her uniform. That makes us go, “Ooh, there’s a relationship there! Is she his sister? Cousin? Daughter?” Then later, all it would have taken was a well-placed line where she proffers a piece of cop-related advice to her partner that her uncle told her. That allows us to make that connection ourselves, giving us a very satisfying moment where we say, “Aha, she’s his niece!”

Basically, I think Chicago Code (sounds much better without “The” in my opinion) has a lot of potential, but Ryan, his producers, and his writing staff have to not treat us like children. There are plenty of intelligent shows that don’t spell out everything, and granted, some are successful and some are not. But any truly great show allows room for the audience to forge their own connections, both to the characters, and between relevant pieces of information.

Maybe Ryan is just jaded by the failure of Terriers and feels like he has to dumb things down, especially for network TV. Whatever the reason, though, he has to give the viewers more credit, and the actors as well, considering these are all talented people who can convey plenty of info without actually having to utter a word.

That said, I did like it enough that I will tune in next week. I particularly enjoyed Jason Clarke, who was fantastic.

6. Clarissa says:

Is Thirteen back yet on House?

7. eyeknow says:

Mr Mitovitch…Chicago Code lost over half the House lead in and dropped 13% at the half hour. Not sure how this constitutes a “strong outing.”

8. Jeanne says:

I wonder how many viewers HIMYM pulled in? That’s what I was watching, although I wish I could have seen both that and House… I’ll have to catch up with the latter soon :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

HIMYM did 10.1 million viewers/3.8, which was down juuuuust a bit from last fresh episode but good for 2nd place in the half hour.

9. V says:

The Chicago Code was good. Not as good as The Shield but what can you expect since it’s on Fox.

10. Pamela says:

Mike&Molly and Harry’s Law are amazing.
    Seems the post championship spot didn’t help H50 at all.

11. Liz says:

Well, it’s going to be interesting how the numbers for House’s next episodes will be. Everyone I know (and a lot of reviewers) thought the episode was awful. I’ve got more than enough of the Cuddy/Huddy show. NO thanks.

12. Lily says:

House and The Chicago Code. I wasn’t expecting to like The Chicago Code, but it was pretty compelling by the end of the episode. I will definitely be back next week. I’ll catch Hawaii 5-0 OnDemand.

13. Glee Fan says:

i found chicago code rather boring and i don’t think i’ll be watching again. it just didn’t grip my attention and i thought it was rather cliched.

14. Leigh says:

Go Castle! Love this show and glad it improved in ratings.

15. karin says:

loved the Chicago Code too….
    against 2,5 repeats,hope better ratings and all reviewers said epi 2 and 3 are great…

16. Richard says:

Chuck, HIMYM, 5-0, Castle on DVR

17. jane says:

Way to go house! Awesome episode! It amazes me that their viewership was low because

• jane says:

I will now finish. The reason I don’t understand viewership numbers ia because it is a amazingly written show with brillant acting

18. hels says:

House was fantastic as usual.It had quite a bit of pathos, very real. Chuck is such a wonderful show,please people give it a go.It has to be renewed for season 5,I will miss the cast so much.
    Huddy and Charah forever!

19. Akiyama says:

Welp. Chuck is boned. :(

20. Joe says:

I’m glad that Harry’s Law is still holding strong. Even though it did drop a little it’s still in pretty good position considering that this is it’s first night with real competition and it had a horrid lead-in.

21. Lisa says:

I watched Chuck, Being Human, Two and a Half Men and Castle

22. Lisa says:

Tuesday I’ll be watching No Ordinary Family, Raising Hope, Parenthood, Traffic Light, V, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and White Collar

23. Lisa says:

Wednesday is HUMAN TARGET, The Middle, Modern Family, Mr. Sunshine, Ghost Hunters International and JUSTIFIED.

24. Lisa says:

Wednesday tune in for HUMAN TARGET and the Premiere of JUSTIFIED on FX

25. Steve says:

I love you guys and think it’s awesome that you have your own site now but I have to say, you’re pun-riddled headlines seem to be getting cheesier and cheesier with time!! “Chicago Code COPS decent ratings”, “The League TACKLES a third season”, “Did Supernatural give Fringe A SCARE”… lol. I know, I know, I’m alone on this one. You guys aren’t the only offenders either, and I know you’re just trying to be creative.

I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a pun-hater. Love you guys though.

26. Elizabeth says:

Go HOUSE!!!! I miss Lie to Me though. I thought Chicago Code was rather disappointing…. it seemed slow and not captivating enough.

27. Ron says:

I too enjoy Harry’s Law. Unfortunately, no matter how good a show is the show’s success is based on the 18-49 demographic. If that’s the case – why in god’s name do you have the lead actor “old.” Thank God NBC is a total failure in its shows — it bodes well for a good series like Harry’s Law. If this show was on CBS, it would have been cancelled after one episode.

28. Liz says:

Um, I though House was pretty awful, way too much Cuddy. Not surprised about the ratings though, keyword: Super Bowl.

29. Robin in Cody says:

Go Castle. Finally, some fresh air and lightness in television. So tired of all the CSI, drauuuma, and sorrow. How nice to have some fun and ‘entertainment’ in television. What a novel idea – entertainment not headline serials…..

30. I’m scared for the Harry's Law says:

I’ve noticed about every four months, the Networks r giving us new season for series shows The new series get round 10-20 episode now, then its “CANCEL” shortly after…The new sneaky way of the networks, the series just be gone, without “SERIES FINALE”. Perhaps by throwing on so many more new shows, its just a diversion, to keep us, the viewers confused. Hoping it want be notice. Perhaps “ NETWORKS” “MAKE” more MONEY off the “SPONSORS” by throwing on about every four, “SOOO MANY new SERIES SHOWS”. The New Series shows, be lucky, if they make it to 40 episode before the new series show gets canceled. I think the cheaper production of Reality TV changed the way the networks view series shows. If you noticed they bring a show back by popular demand and wait about nine months before it airs again. Setting up series show for failure. By that time. people forget about the show. Its clear that the networks don’t want “LONG RUNNING SERIES TYPE SHOWS” , anymore. Its airway for cheapest production. Adult Cartoons, Game & Talk Shows. Keeping garbage, cancel series show.

31. KARL says:

The Network draw me in, as the spider did the fly. Networks, tease me, with 10 to 40 episode. The Networks,Wine and Dine me without no happy ending..The Networks, played with my emotion. Killing cupid, breaking my heart again and again. Leaving me frustrated, wondering have you canceled another Drama/ Sitcom show. Treating me as if, was just a stepchild of yours. As if , I was yours to knock around, whenever you wanted too.