Rachel Bilson To Star In The CW's Dixie Pilot

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

Rachel Bilson will reunite with The O.C. creator-executive producer Josh Schwartz this pilot season after all: The actress is close to a deal to star in Hart Of Dixie, The CW’s hourlong pilot produced by the Gossip Girl duo of Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Zooey Deschanel In Talks For Fox Comedy Pilot

Hart Of Dixie is a comedic drama centered on a young New York City doctor (Bilson) who inherits a medical practice in a small Southern town inhabited by an eclectic and eccentric group of characters.

Exclusive: 7th Heaven‘s Barry Watson Joins TV Land Comedy Pilot

Earlier this development season, Bilson was attached to star in Ghost Angeles, a supernatural romantic comedy for NBC co-written by Schwartz; that pilot ultimately didn’t go forward.

Will & Grace‘s Debra Messing Joins NBC’s Glee-esque Pilot

Bilson previously has done arcs on Schwartz’s NBC dramedy Chuck as well as CBS’ How I Met Your Mother, where she played a love interest for Ted Mosby.

Comments (24)

• Josh Schwartz really has a thing for Bilson, not that we blame him…she was quite possibly the most acceptable Chuck PLI out of all of them.

Comment by Jem – February 8, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More than Kristin Kreuk? Or Jordana Brewster? We shall agree to disagree :)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 8, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with Jem, Matt! Lou was by far my favorite. Hannah wasn’t all that dimensional in my opinion, and the Jill arc was really great but I didn’t actually like Jill herself. Agree to disagree, we shall :)

Comment by Katie – February 8, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with Jem and Katie. I liked Rachel Bilson the best as a Chuck guest star. Can’t wait to see what happens with this pilot. Bilson deserves a good vehicle to star in – she was great as Summer and now needs to showcase her acting chops. (Movies like Jumper are not gonna do it if she wants to be taken seriously!)

Comment by Debbie – February 9, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish the premise was better…that sounds like something Shonda Rhimes is behind.

Comment by lefty – February 8, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad to see Bilson back, although I agree the premise is weak (but at least The CW doesn’t have a medical drama, yet)

Comment by Ben Phelps – February 8, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a huge Rachel Bilson fan from, of course, The OC and she’s also been one of my favorite guest stars to be in an arc on Chuck. I’m not crazy about shows like Gossip Girl where there are multiple characters who all just end up hooking up with one another, but because Bilson will play the one main character I have a good feeling about this. And as history has proven, Schwartz and Bilson working together makes for great TV.

Comment by Katie – February 8, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything with Rachel involved and I’m in! I love that girl!

Comment by MindyLou – February 8, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • poor Rachel Bilson she is never gonna get that big time break through acting gig she has been looking for since The OC

Comment by ggny – February 8, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like Doc Hollywood goes to Everwood and meets the people of Northern Exposure.

Comment by Buffyfan – February 8, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s good she’s going back to television. Her movie career isn’t blossoming.

Comment by Jones19 – February 8, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dig Rachel Bilson based on her work on “Chuck”: She is a great actress. However, knowing the CW, the network is quick to yank shows that do not appeal to high school kids or die hard comic book fans (I site “Veronica Mars” and “Life Unexpected” as examples). If they give the show a chance, I think it would do great.

Comment by Demetrius – February 8, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In defense of the CW, both shows you cite (which, coincidentally are two shows I adore) had extremely low ratings, even by CW standards. Yet they actually gave them seasons they didn’t (for financial reasons) deserve. Veronica got a third season on the new network and LUX got a second season to expand its audience. I’d say that the network was actually kind to both series. Unfortunately because it is the network that gets the smallest proportion of the viewing audience, it has to appeal to a niche market. I don’t like it, but alas, it’s the truth. I miss Veronica and LUX but reality is reality. The CW actually did right by both shows allowing them new life and time to grow.

Comment by David – February 8, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yah, i know 3 seasons of a series not scheduled on a Friday night is TOTALLY not giving it enough time to find an audience
        seriously VM fans are DELUSIONAL (and I loved that show)

Comment by Andrew – February 8, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you guys, I’m a HUGE VM fan, but the ratings just weren’t there. You can’t blame UPN or The CW for lack of trying. Same with Arrested Development. It was given 3 season to blossom, it didn’t. Sad but true.

Comment by Steven – February 9, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea, i’m sorry Demetrius but CW is way better about keeping their shows than NBC. they cancel new shows before an audience is born.
      Rachel Bilson is a great actor, loved her on The OC, her role on Chuck, and of course on HIMYM. she’s a really a likeable person and i’m happy for her. can’t wait!

Comment by C – February 8, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And yet somehow, NBC is currently still home to Chuck, Community, and Parks and Rec.

Comment by John – February 9, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Rachel Bilson and the CW. I’ll be watching.

Comment by Brandi – February 8, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Rachel Bilson even pronounce medical terms that are three syllables and longer?
    She’s been auditioning forever but can’t seem to get herself cast in movies. And when she gets work in something, it ends up being one of the worst-reviewed movies of the year(Look up ‘Waiting for Forever’).She’s working with Josh Schwartz again because nobody else will hire her, unless it’s a sunglasses company. Plus, Josh is married to Rachel’s BFF. That may explain why he tries to cast Rachel in all his projects.

Comment by anne – February 8, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And you’ve been this sad, jealous person for how long exactly?

Comment by Dominique – February 8, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yet somehow, people are delighted to see her whenever she pops up on TV.

Comment by John – February 9, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a good thing because her movie career was going absolutely nowhere. She’s better off doing television and should have a fine stable career if she sticks to it. I hope it works out for her.

Comment by jenny – February 8, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me, or is Josh Schwartz getting a lot of show ideas greenlit for pilots this year? But yeah, Bilson’s a great actress and seeing more of her acting is not a problem.

Comment by kendg8r – February 9, 2011 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was not so interested in the pilot, after initially hearing what it was about – but if Rachel Bilson is in this, I’m very much going to be watching it.

Comment by Summer – February 9, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post