Rachel Bilson To Star In The CW's Dixie Pilot

Rachel Bilson will reunite with The O.C. creator-executive producer Josh Schwartz this pilot season after all: The actress is close to a deal to star in Hart Of Dixie, The CW’s hourlong pilot produced by the Gossip Girl duo of Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Zooey Deschanel In Talks For Fox Comedy Pilot

Hart Of Dixie is a comedic drama centered on a young New York City doctor (Bilson) who inherits a medical practice in a small Southern town inhabited by an eclectic and eccentric group of characters.

Exclusive: 7th Heaven‘s Barry Watson Joins TV Land Comedy Pilot

Earlier this development season, Bilson was attached to star in Ghost Angeles, a supernatural romantic comedy for NBC co-written by Schwartz; that pilot ultimately didn’t go forward.

Will & Grace‘s Debra Messing Joins NBC’s Glee-esque Pilot

Bilson previously has done arcs on Schwartz’s NBC dramedy Chuck as well as CBS’ How I Met Your Mother, where she played a love interest for Ted Mosby.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. Jem says:

Josh Schwartz really has a thing for Bilson, not that we blame him…she was quite possibly the most acceptable Chuck PLI out of all of them.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

More than Kristin Kreuk? Or Jordana Brewster? We shall agree to disagree :)

• Katie says:

I’m with Jem, Matt! Lou was by far my favorite. Hannah wasn’t all that dimensional in my opinion, and the Jill arc was really great but I didn’t actually like Jill herself. Agree to disagree, we shall :)

• Debbie says:

I agree with Jem and Katie. I liked Rachel Bilson the best as a Chuck guest star. Can’t wait to see what happens with this pilot. Bilson deserves a good vehicle to star in – she was great as Summer and now needs to showcase her acting chops. (Movies like Jumper are not gonna do it if she wants to be taken seriously!)

2. lefty says:

I really wish the premise was better…that sounds like something Shonda Rhimes is behind.

3. Katie says:

I’m a huge Rachel Bilson fan from, of course, The OC and she’s also been one of my favorite guest stars to be in an arc on Chuck. I’m not crazy about shows like Gossip Girl where there are multiple characters who all just end up hooking up with one another, but because Bilson will play the one main character I have a good feeling about this. And as history has proven, Schwartz and Bilson working together makes for great TV.

4. MindyLou says:

Anything with Rachel involved and I’m in! I love that girl!

5. ggny says:

poor Rachel Bilson she is never gonna get that big time break through acting gig she has been looking for since The OC

6. Buffyfan says:

Sounds like Doc Hollywood goes to Everwood and meets the people of Northern Exposure.

7. Jones19 says:

It’s good she’s going back to television. Her movie career isn’t blossoming.

8. Demetrius says:

I dig Rachel Bilson based on her work on “Chuck”: She is a great actress. However, knowing the CW, the network is quick to yank shows that do not appeal to high school kids or die hard comic book fans (I site “Veronica Mars” and “Life Unexpected” as examples). If they give the show a chance, I think it would do great.

• David says:

In defense of the CW, both shows you cite (which, coincidentally are two shows I adore) had extremely low ratings, even by CW standards. Yet they actually gave them seasons they didn’t (for financial reasons) deserve. Veronica got a third season on the new network and LUX got a second season to expand its audience. I’d say that the network was actually kind to both series. Unfortunately because it is the network that gets the smallest proportion of the viewing audience, it has to appeal to a niche market. I don’t like it, but alas, it’s the truth. I miss Veronica and LUX but reality is reality. The CW actually did right by both shows allowing them new life and time to grow.

• Andrew says:

yah, i know 3 seasons of a series not scheduled on a Friday night is TOTALLY not giving it enough time to find an audience
        seriously VM fans are DELUSIONAL (and I loved that show)

• Steven says:

I agree with you guys, I’m a HUGE VM fan, but the ratings just weren’t there. You can’t blame UPN or The CW for lack of trying. Same with Arrested Development. It was given 3 season to blossom, it didn’t. Sad but true.

• C says:

yea, i’m sorry Demetrius but CW is way better about keeping their shows than NBC. they cancel new shows before an audience is born.
      Rachel Bilson is a great actor, loved her on The OC, her role on Chuck, and of course on HIMYM. she’s a really a likeable person and i’m happy for her. can’t wait!

9. Brandi says:

LOVE Rachel Bilson and the CW. I’ll be watching.

10. anne says:

Can Rachel Bilson even pronounce medical terms that are three syllables and longer?
    She’s been auditioning forever but can’t seem to get herself cast in movies. And when she gets work in something, it ends up being one of the worst-reviewed movies of the year(Look up ‘Waiting for Forever’).She’s working with Josh Schwartz again because nobody else will hire her, unless it’s a sunglasses company. Plus, Josh is married to Rachel’s BFF. That may explain why he tries to cast Rachel in all his projects.

11. jenny says:

This is a good thing because her movie career was going absolutely nowhere. She’s better off doing television and should have a fine stable career if she sticks to it. I hope it works out for her.

12. kendg8r says:

Is it just me, or is Josh Schwartz getting a lot of show ideas greenlit for pilots this year? But yeah, Bilson’s a great actress and seeing more of her acting is not a problem.

13. Summer says:

I was not so interested in the pilot, after initially hearing what it was about – but if Rachel Bilson is in this, I’m very much going to be watching it.