Keith Olbermann's New Gig: Burning Questions Answered!

Well, that didn’t take long. Barely two weeks after he and MSNBC announced a parting of the ways, Keith Olbermann has landed a plum new gig, at Al Gore’s Current TV.

In addition to executive-producing and hosting a nightly primetime news/commentary show for the cabler, Olbermann will serve as the company’s Chief News Officer. Olbermann’s new show will premiere later this year.

In a press conference call with reporters, Olbermann declined to directly dis any of his previous employers, only saying, “There is nothing wrong with people making money and corporations being involved in covering information… provided there is an avenue in which those marketing forces are not the deciding factor in what we are doing.”

“Current is not only the leading independent network, it’s the only one,” he added. “To underscore and support that is my great privilege.”

One burning question coming out of Current TV’s announcement is whether Olbermann might bring over the “Worst Person in the World” feature made infamous on MSNBC’s Countdown. “There may be a segment that resembles that in structure and in tone,” the newsman allowed.

As for whether Olbermann will be allowed to donate to political candidates — a practice which got him lashed with a wet noodle at MSNBC — Al Gore said during the conference call that “every citizen has the freedom of speech, and freedom of speech includes the ability to donate to candidates of your choice. But as a news and information organization, we also believe in full disclosure of that to inform the viewers.” Meaning, Olbermann can throw his money to anyone he likes, provided he keeps his bosses in the loop.

Will you welcome Olbermann to Current TV when he debuts later this year?

1. John Berggren says:

Seems like a good fit. I’ll certainly check it out.

2. charm says:

I will definently watch!

3. JScout says:

Can’t wait. I’ve been having Countdown withdrawals since he left. I feel better now.

4. Carrie says:

Olbermann the reason I will expand my cable package to include Current TV now. I’m glad to see him come back as he was really the only reason I tuned into MSNBC nightly. Can’t wait!

5. Lee Harvey says:

Welcome back, Keith!

6. BrianR says:

Perfect fit for him one liar to another.

7. Larc says:

Keith shouldn’t get too near Gore because he might get eaten. Gore looks as if he eats everything that gets within his reach. ;)

8. Paulysj says:

I can’t wait until Keith is back on air nightly. I miss my Olbermann fix!

9. d.dollA says:

when will the show premier??

10. Kyoto says:

YES!!!! I will definitely watch Keith. Big loss for MSNBC/Comcast… I hope he airs @ 8pm.

11. Angela says:

Y-e-a-y! H-o-o-r-a-y!

I am so thrilled that Keith is coming back and I’m looking forward to his return. I’ve watched Keith for so long until I don’t know what to do anymore at the 5:00 pm (PST) hour now that he is no longer filling that slot on MSNBC. The line up they had over there with The Ed Schultz Show at 3:00 PM, followed by Hardball with Chris Matthews at 4:00 PM, then Countdown with Keith Olbermann at 5:00 PM, then The Rachel Maddow at 6:00 PM was perfect. They recently added The Last Word With Laurence O’Donnell at the 7:00 PM hour.

Ed Schultz got you going and the rest of the team kept you going. Now they’ve changed the schedule around with Ed coming on at 7:00 PM, Laurence O’Donnell has Keith’s Old 5:00 PM slot and Cenk Uygur has Ed’s old 3:00 PM slot. I’m sorry but it’s just not the same.

I don’t mean to put anybody down but Cenk can’t do that time slot any justice like Ed did because he’s not as entertaining or as lively and that messes up the rest of evening. The 5:00 PM hour was the most crucial of all because it was right in the middle and nobody could bring the news to you at that hour like Keith Olbermann could.

I can hardly wait to see Keith come back on television again. I miss him terribly and will be counting the days until my old friend is back in front of the cameras again.

Congratulations Keith, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

• Diane Wilson says:

In total agreement Angela. I liked the lineup the way it was, altho I do like Lawrence O’Donnell, but sure miss Keith, and also Ed at 6:00.

Hope to see you soon Keith!

You’re the best!

12. John kilburn says:

will not watch, his sarcasm hurts the left. stop the hate we are not
    always right

13. Jay says:

Can’t start soon enough for me! But what others will be there?