Scoop: Super-sized Smallville Finale Airs May 13

It’s official: Smallville will conclude its 10-year run with a two-hour finale on Friday, May 13. Showrunners Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders confirmed the news in a just-released press release.

Smallville Final Season Preview: Waiting For Superman

“Paying homage to 10 seasons is no small task, and wrapping up each character and story arc has been extremely important to everyone involved in the show,” the pair said. “We’re excited to be able to make the final moments of Smallville a television event, as the character we’ve grown up with makes his legendary transformation.”

Souders and Peterson first spoke of a possible two-hour series-ender in an early January interview with TVLine, at which time they were waiting to hear on The CW’s decision. “The beauty is that the last two episodes go hand-in-hand,” Souders said, “so no matter what happens, it will be an event.”

As for the title of the show’s swan song, it may not be as obvious as one thinks. “It might be a no-brainer [such as "Superman"],” Souders told us, “but I’m not sure.”

In other CW scheduling news, Supernatural will wrap up its season with back-to-back episodes on Friday, May 20.

Save the dates!

1. racegrrli says:

Final “Flight”? Yay! But how sad.

2. Devin says:

2 hours on Friday the 13th. Just tell me Allison Mack’s Chloe Sullivan will be there. She defines “kick @ss heroine” for the CW & is Smallville’s creative legacy!

• Maro says:

I can’t see it. Sure she’s a good actress but I just never saw the attraction.

Looking forward to the finale though’

• Stephanie says:

I too hope Chloe is in the finale (non-flashbacks). She is an amazing character.

And along with Tom Welling, Allison Mack has been a part of this rollercoaster of a show since day 1…so I hope she’s there when they finally cross the finish line.

• Billy Roderick says:

I hope Chloe is in it to, but I’m told there is a high chance she will be.

3. Vanessa says:

So happy that it’s going to be a 2 hour finale :D

• dawn o says:

just found out a tweet that say’s 21 eps this last season not 22 like season 7 but 21 will be two hour movie so smallville will come back from there break on april 15 that really sucks for a ten year show cw suckes big time.

• Brain says:

maybe the CW is borrowing a page from what NBC did to Heroes, totally confusing the viewers AND the writing staff by renumbering the episodes. The cast/crew went by hour/scripts, while the network went by how many nights they had to broadcast. 2 hour premiere = ONE episode to NBC, and screwed up the count for the rest of their final year.

4. AlistairCrane says:

Cool news for Smallville…and I hope Supernatural is back for another season!!!

5. AlistairCrane says:

Cool news about Smallville..and I hope Supernatural’s back for a seventh season!

6. SmallvilleFan says:

Smallville should’ve gotten extra episodes and conclude on May 20th with the Supernatural finale a week earlier — like they do with Grey’s and PP over at ABC.

• Gabriela says:

that was more logical, but The CW as genius they are prefer to cut Supernatural for a week instead of doing a non stop season final run

7. Christian says:

Now all we need is news that Rosenbaum will be back as Lex!!!

8. JACK says:

AMAZINGGGG…! THANK YOU AUSIELLO. GO SMALLVILLE FANS. A FINALE EPIC.

9. dawn o says:

don’t get to happy it is going to be eps 21 and 22 put together not 21 and then eps 22 two hour long bet.

10. Joker-El says:

PERFECT PICTURE. Focus on the main man and his show! Can’t wait to see Clark Kent in his final episode/episodes before he becomes SUPERMAN!

11. noggster says:

I wish that if Rosenbaum comes back that it be a surprise without any leaks. I think that would make the finale that much more special and exciting.

• Jenny says:

I agree! Although, I don’t think they will do that because of possible ratings jump! I do think that would be sooo cool! If they could do that, he should appear at the end of an episode and then the next episode with him could be hyped up by the press! Best of both worlds. However, I’m getting ahead of myself! This is all wishful thinking! We don’t know if he’s coming back or not!

12. Cyn says:

I’ll watch if Rosenbaum shows up.

13. Guest says:

I don’t get it. Supernatural is also have two-hour finale or one is repeat?

14. Jenny says:

AWESOME NEWS!!!! Thank you! I’m so excited! And yet I’m also sad! I love Smallville!

15. Ingmar says:

I just hope Allison Mack ( Chloe ) is there for the finale. She has been on the show for all 10 seasons so it would be a shame not to have her on the series finale..

16. dawn o says:

well now we know we the show will come back from there last break
    if eps 22 is 2 hours by it self smallville will come back on april 8
    but if 21 and 22 are put together april 15 it will be.

17. fiiney says:

the 80,s called they want their jacket back

18. BINNER says:

Exciting, but sad…..By the way CW, I have no reason to you anymore……

19. Dominique says:

I’m excited and sad at the same time. It’s been such a wonderful journey with this show, and I hate the thought that it won’t be back in September :(
    But I’m sure these final episodes will kick some serious ass!

20. Clark Kent says:

I’d watch this for another 10. Wish CW would keep making them, with or without the uniform. Not looking forward to the movie version.

21. Steve says:

Just hoping that he wears the suit in the last few episodes and finally flies. I’m really going to miss the show.

22. lia says:

Great news. I love this Clark Kent and I hope he gets the amazing sendoff he deserves. He’s my Superman.

23. Lynn says:

is this a two hour episode or is it episodes 21 and 22 back to back like they did with “Absolute Justice”?

24. raelee514 says:

I think this is great for SV. And then the next week I get 2 hours of Sam and Dean, woohooo!

25. AlistairCrane says:

EW.com says it’s part of the original 22-episode order, not an extra-sized 22nd episode.

26. dracula says:

up, up and away !

27. Alex says:

This is pretty awesome. Except it would be better if it weren’t a combination of episodes 21 & 22. It’s bittersweet though because I’m sad to see the series ending after all this time. I hope they get Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack to come back.

28. dawn o says:

if lois and clark arn’t married before the last eps and with darkside now confirm’d for the last eps wich means grannygoodness will be there to i feel a mindwipe is coming so i really hope we here somthing about the wedding before the last eps.it would just break my heart if they do that to lois.

29. 1eclecticviwer says:

Awesome! Thanks for the scoop.

30. Barry says:

C’mon give Smallville the extra hour. CW network are bunch of idiots. This isnt special if I get 2 episodes in one night.

31. 1eclecticviewer says:

Wait… is it true that it’s not really a 2-hour finale but a combined 2-episode run? Now that just sucks. I retract my earlier post. *bummed*

32. Alex says:

Friday the 13th?! But that’s bad luck!!! Nah.
    I’ll probably be sitting on my couch crying my eyes out at the series finale. Just wish they would have granted the show 2 extra episodes so it could finish out with the nice round number of 220, but oh well.

33. swan says:

Are we supposed to be thrilled by the news? The CW really likes to screw SV (and SPN) fans. When one reads or hears about a “2-hour series finale”, it’s legitimate to think that it means that the last episode aka “the series finale” will be extended to 2 hours.
    In fact it’s just the two last episodes- 21 and 22-, so what we knew we would get all season long, being aired back to back. What an event.Not. And of course the CW will put plenty of commercials during the night so that “the 2-episode event” will barely last 80 minutes altogether…
    But after everything the CW didn’t do, like the promotion, or did, like airing the SV return episode a week later in favor of Vampire Diaries, it’s no surprise the network once again treats a 10-year long show with no respect and treats its fans like idiots for giving them an “event” that is nothing exceptional in reality. They forget that SV helped to make their Friday nights successful, it gave them better or at least equal ratings than/with Vampire Diaries on Thursday nights, and is still today their 3rd most successful show. But I guess it doesn’t count since it is not high in their demos of women 18-34. Targetting such a narrow demo doesn’t seem to get the CW very far though.

I really won’t miss this network.

Sorry for the long post, I needed to rant even if I know it won’t change anything :/

34. Ronet says:

Tru dat, swan. I remember some years back there was a 2 hour Smallville event (season finale) and there we’re at least 40 minutes of ads. :\

35. Dennis says:

I wish The WB still existed… if this was on The WB, then it really would have been a true event…

AND PLEASE COME BACK, Michael Rosenbaum, PLEASE!

36. Juke Early says:

SMALLVILLE will certainly be missed. For all of its flaws & at times casual misuse of the Clark Kent character (Lana was a horrible roller coaster), I liked it. BUT their finale needs to be a lot better than Absolute Justice, which was astonishingly awful. Not to mention a weak rip off of The Watchmen. Next time The CW has a big time premise, give it a big time budget & do less eps. Grow up & grow with the part of the industry making great TV, not just occasionally good episodes.

37. dawn o says:

we know now the last eps wan’t be callied superman but finale so it sounds like the name superman wan’t be said by no one in the last eps. finale really i wan’t some of what TPTB are smoking must great stuff to come up with a name like that.

38. Jen says:

Yay! The show IS ending. Finally this piece of crap will be off the air. I’ve been worried that the producers would change their minds and keep it on for another ten years.

39. jay says:

i read at ew.com that MR turned down appearing in the smallville finale as he is busy writing. if this is true….well it truly sucks. why would MR turn down a cameo for the show that put him on the map. it’s not like they are asking him to do a story arch. i hope this is a ploy to mess with the audience…but i fear this is not the case.

40. T says:

I think that smallville is so great and Tom Welling does a great job. I think he should be shritless more he is so hot. Tom Welling needs to show off his body.

41. chomba says:

10yrs!its been fun,real & awesome.goodby me lover,gdby me friend u have been the one 4 me.

42. Tony says:

the season finale sucked so bad. Ive been following this series since season 1, well i feel let down after watching this last episode. they never showed Clark wearing the suit, the fight with the darkness was a joke. total disappointment.