Should You Stop for Fox's Traffic Light?

Not-so-great title aside (hey, it worked for Cougar Town), we’re pret-ty darn fond of Fox’s  Traffic Light, and are here to give you a few good reasons to tune in to the sitcom’s premiere Tuesday at 9:30/8:30c.

Ready for one? Well, he goes by the name David Denman.

You know, Warehouse Roy from The Office? Denman is finally taking his funnyman status to leading man heights and bringing lots of laughs as Traffic‘s resident “red light,” or one half of a happily married couple with a little bundle of joy. Liza Lapira (Dollhouse) plays Mike’s wife, Lisa.

Rounding out the romantic comedy’s traffic signal analogy of a cast are Nelson Franklin and Aya Cash as the Adam and Callie, a cautiously optimistic “yellow light” couple who just moved in together, and Brit Kris Marshall as Ethan, the “green light” (or very single ladies man). While the metaphor-heavy set-up of the show may not have you sold just yet, Traffic Light puts these likable characters in relatable situations, and as a result, some pretty funny stuff happens.

“We’re taking real life things that everyone goes through and trying to find the comedic moments in those,” Denman tells TVLine. “It definitely shows relationships from a guy’s perspective, because we spend a lot of time dealing with the friendships of [Mike, Adam and Ethan], but it’s also an insight for women into how guys sometimes think. We desperately tried to make Traffic Light as real as possible.”

Although the show doesn’t need any help in the funny department, Traffic Light also has its own plethora of hilarious guest stars that serve to enhance its debut season.

“Rob Huebel (Children’s Hospital, The Office) recurs as Adam’s boss,” Denman spills. “We also have TJ Miller (Happy Endings), a very funny standup [comedian] and actor who plays a neighbor that is making too much noise with his band. But lo and behold, they start hanging out and playing music together. Kathryn Hahn (Crossing Jordan) does a couple episodes as Callie’s sister, who Ethan gets involved with…. Adam Goldberg (The Unusuals) does an episode as one of Lisa’s coworkers… and Larry Wilmore from The Office and The Daily Show recurs as Mike’s boss.”

Do you plan to check out Fox’s Traffic Light Tuesday 8 at 9:30/8:30c?

Comments (11)

• Bleeech!

Comment by Anna – February 7, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kinda looking forward to this have heard good thing

Comment by ggny – February 7, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been looking forward to this, so it’s nice to see a good review.

Comment by Ava – February 7, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did $imon Cowell bought this site?

Comment by Saulo – February 7, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Kris Marshall. Finally on US tv. Check out his previous work on shows like “My Family” or “Murder City” – believe me you’re in for a treat!

Comment by Bob – February 7, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so happy to get to see Kris on US TV — I was a total fan of Murder City and then My Family — He is a TREAT!

Comment by linstro – February 8, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED Kris as Nick in My Family (such a hilarious character and show) and I probably wouldn’t have given this show a second glance if it weren’t for him but I’m looking forward to it. :D

Comment by Chelsea – February 7, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna see this. Hope its good.

Comment by João Amaral – February 8, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kris Marshall and the show was promising but found the ending a little odd. The Police woman should be a regular.

Comment by bridget – February 8, 2011 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the pilot episode hooked me. this is one of the funniest and most relatable new shows I’ve seen on TV in years. I love it and look forward to seeing it every week. I hope Fox doesn’t make the mistake other networks do and run re-runs and substitute other shows for weeks at a time before a new episode is broadcast.

Comment by Ross Ewage – April 2, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please everybody join this facebook group I set up to bring Traffic Light back!

Comment by Julian – October 2, 2011 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post