Ratings: Idol, Mentalist Lead Tough Thursday

For the first time in a long time, all of the majors trotted our fresh episodes this Thursday, so let’s see how the night is really shaking out….

8/7c | Despite delivering what our own Michael Slezak opined might have been one of the worst audition rounds ever, American Idol retained almost all of its week-ago audience, drawing 21.78 million total viewers to Los Angeles and notching a 7.45 demo rating.

Placing second was CBS’ sitcombo of Big Bang Theory (13.8 mil/4.3) and $#*! My Dad Says (10.5 mil/2.8). Community dipped a bit (to 4.35 mil/a 2 rating), while lead-out Perfect Couples dropped a full 13 percent in viewers, to just over 3 mil.

American Idol Recap: Tinseltown Travesty

9/8c | Bragging rights for this hour were, as typical, split. CSI, featuring William Petersen’s unbilled cameo, was tops in total viewers (with 13.8 million) while Grey’s Anatomy (11.1 mil, down nine percent) led the demos with a 4.2. Coming off a high outing and facing all-original competition, Bones was down 15 percent, to 10.2 mil/a 3.4 rating.

Minus a Ricky Gervais drop-by, The Office (7.3 million viewers/3.7 rating) dipped 7 percent, while Parks and Rec (5.05 mil/2.5) slipped double digits. Nikita drew 2.4 million viewers, but suffered an 18 percent decline in the 18-49 demo.

CSI ‘Surprise’! Did You Enjoy Grissom’s Visit?

10/9c | The Mentalist, the night’s most watched scripted program, dominated the hour with 15 million viewers and a 2.9 rating. It was trailed by Private Practice (7.14 mil/2.6) and NBC’s 30 Rock/Outsourced combo (both of which were down five or so percent.)

What did you watch live this busy, busy Thursday? And what’s still saved away on your DVR?

1. Ash says:

“The Vampire Diaries was down slightly from last week, with 3.2 million viewers and a 1.5 rating, but the show enjoyed its best Women 18-34 numbers (CW sweet spot alert!) since November 11.”

That’s because it opened with Ian Somerhalder in the shower and in a towel. ^_^

2. Ash says:

As for what I saved on my DVR, I’ve got Archer & Jersey Shore yet to watch. But I never miss a Vampire Diaries episode!

3. Jon Rybka says:

We Tivo Private Practice, Grey’s and Shoot My Dad Said and wathc them all later.

4. Vannessa says:

Greys down cant imagine why with the cringing pregnancy plot…

• Kate says:

I know they were down at least one viewer because I wont be watching anymore! There were so many better ways to let Callie have a baby than the trite accidentally got pregnant by a man while I was mad at my girlfriend!

• sadtroll says:

Totally agree with you. The fact that Mark is her sex buddy and she, you know, likes the sex is irrelevant. They should have gone the completely not trite adopts a baby, gets a sperm donor, hooks up with a random guy in a bar who is not the guy she normally has sex with or just plain waited until her and Arizona done “being mad” at each other on separate continents. Oh yeah Kate, you are so trite, I mean right.

• Kate says:

Wow, took that personally huh? I just think they could have done better than rehashing a plot from Friends. I would have been ok with Mark and Callie just deciding to have a baby. I think that could have been a great story of them taking ownership of their desires to have a kid even though their partners didn’t. I just think the oops we got pregnant, now our loved ones have to deal with it was lazy.

5. lol says:

Of course Nikita suffered an 18 percent decline in the 18-49 demo.
    They’re doing the show only for teenagers and Mikita fans…

• Jamie says:

Actually you’re wrong.

If that was the case, the viewers would be down and not the demo. The older people stayed this week and the younger people left.

6. Melissa says:

Vampire Diaries get my #1 spot.

I wonder exactly how many more people watch tv when idol is on. Does anything else on television get the eyeballs that Idol does?

7. Mikaylah says:

Love The Mentalist! :)

8. Marie says:

I watched Community then transferred because Perfect Couples was horrible. I got engrossed with Perfectly Legal and Royal Pains I completely forgot about The Office and Parks and Recreation! NBC has got to remove Perfect Couples from Thursday so as not to lose viewers like me. Or they should group it with Outsourced at the end that way I will not miss on the good ones before them and then transfer the channel when those 2 horrible shows are up.

• Kaibosh says:

Respectfully; you’re crazy. Perfect Couples was a blast. Its not without its flaws but its got good comedic timing. As a thirty something I find it pretty funny and am enjoying it. Outsourced too. Despite walking a fine line with cultural stereotypes; there are some really witty moments.

9. Annasophia says:

I loved last night’s CSI . Beautiful episode. Grissom’s appearance was amazing.

10. Chuck Fan says:

Does any one watch Fairly Legal? I think it is great and it is not just another lawyer show.

11. Esther says:

The Mentalist and Community!! I live for Thursdays. Big Bang Theory’s pretty good, too, so last night was a great TV night. If you aren’t watching Community, please start to! You won’t be sorry, it’s ridiculously intelligent and hilarious!

12. silvina5 says:

The Mentalist: 15 million viewers or 5 ?

• Bea says:

It’s actually one of the most popular scripted drama’s in the county that’s why Simon baker just signed that massive contract.

• silvina5 says:

But The Mentalist with 15 million have 2.9 rating and The Private Practice with 7,14 million have 2.6 I don’t understand.

13. Diane Damaris says:

I always stick with The Big Bang Theory, Bleep My Dad Says, then Grey’s, then back to CBS to finish with The Mentalist. I’m too loyal of a fan to watch anything up against TBBT.

14. Brainst0rms says:

Always watch Mentalist but watched this week’s CSI since Grissom character was back for a cameo with a decent storyline.

15. Portlandgal says:

We watch Fairly Legal and really enjoy it! As a matter of fact, we watch almost all of the shows on USA: In Plain Sight, Royal Pains, Covert Affairs, White Collar and Psych too. We watch several other cable series; they are so much better than most shows on network TV.

16. sai says:

I never miss Mentalist it my favorite show

17. cb says:

jersey shore, fairly legal. American Idol is a complete disapointment so far. Next year, if you audition, just cry and you’ll be put through!

18. cbl says:

The Mentalist was good-also watch Jersey Shore too! Vinny & Pauly D are so funny! Where’s the Jersey Shore love Michael???!!!

19. Lindsey says:

Yeahhh. I’ll watch Idol on Wednesdays, but a ridiculous audition round episode and result shows that could be 30 min won’t drag me in on Thursdays. Vampire Diaries is upping the emotional ante and it’s pretty epic. No way am I missing, especially after the extended preview for next week.

20. Natalie says:

Please please PLEASE someone tell the studio execs to get Parks and Rec off Thursdays…it has no chance up against Greys and Bones. I absolutely adore the show but can’t watch because the other members of my household think they’re more important…P&R is too awesome of a show to be wasting away on Thursdays…

21. I like House.Mentalist.Csi.Bones.Ncis.they are all good shows i watch them every week my favorite is bones.

22. Big Fan says:

So with the new Live + 7 ratings, looks like Outsourced is kicking some serious butt. This show is hilarious and is not getting the kudos it deserves. Even with the 10:30pm time slot and little promotion, it’s doing better then Parks and Rec and Community!! Give a little credit now, comon…..