Exclusive

Exclusive: Connie Britton Developing FX Drama with The Fighter's David O. Russell

Well this was definitely worth the wait. After months of speculation about what Connie Britton’s first post-Friday Night Lights career move would be, the unofficial word is that she’s developing an FX drama series with David O. Russell, the acclaimed filmmaker behind Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees and The Fighter!

Details are sketchy, but I’m told the prospective series — Russell’s first — would be created by Russell and revolve around a female protagonist played by Britton (duh).

What do you think? Will the Emmy-nominated Britton and the Oscar-nominated Russell make a good tag team? What kind of part do you hope she’ll be playing? Hit the comments!

1. Diana says:

Prime Suspect is screwed!

• DryedMangoez says:

Exactly my thoughts.

• Deke says:

Connie is better off on a cable TV project than the Prime Suspect remake. Half of the time U.S. remakes don’t do well.

• Deke says:

I also don’t think Connie wants to work with broadcast networks again. She said in a few interviews before the Emmys that networks are no longer give shows a chance to build an audience like they did in the future. She also commented that Mad Men is a success because cable only need 3 to 4 million viewers.

2. Christa says:

I’ll watch anything with Connie on TV! Preferably, I would like that to be more FNL. She will always be Tammy Taylor to me!

3. Christy says:

I don’t care what she’s on; I’ll watch it! It will be great to have her back on my TV regularly

4. Aby says:

I will follow her any where she goes. She is an amazing actress and hopefully this show will do better in the ratings then the last female driven drama on FX.

5. Steven says:

True Aby, FX has had no luck with female driven dramas. Dirt and now Damages.

6. Drewgo says:

With Clear Eyes, Full Heart… Connie Britton can’t lose :-)

7. Sam says:

Well, while Damages and Dirt may not have been overt successes, Damages is going to get at least 5 seasons total.
    Add Connie Britton to the fact that I’ve never disliked a single FX show I’ve seen (and I’ve seen most) and this seems like a winning combination.

8. RikerDonegal says:

Whatever she’s in, I’m watching it!

9. Bee says:

GET. THE. EFF. OUT.
    i know it’s just buzz right now, but the thought of connie being on my TV again so soon? chills. i’ll follow this amazing woman and actress wherever she goes.

10. me says:

It all comes down to the writing because if the stories aren’t good, then the series won’t be worth watching. It needs to be a female version of Justified.

11. David says:

Thanks to FNL, Connie Britton is basically my favorite TV actress of recent times so I’d watch pretty much any TV project she does next

12. Lau says:

This makes me so happy! I LOVE THIS WOMAN. She’s so damn talented.

13. Steven says:

I love Connie and will follow her anywhere…but is this the same David O. Russell that abuses, swears at and berates his actors? I’m thinking of the famous Lily Tomlin incident and the reports of his fist fight with George Clooney on Three Kings. Am I mistaken? If I’m right, I can’t see this going well…

14. E. says:

Wow, terrific news! Glad some big-name people have big plans for Connie. She absolutely deserves to headline her own show, and it needs to be something excellent to be worthy of her talents! Can’t wait to see how this project develops.

15. Josh says:

I’d watch Connie Britton knit a freaking sweater. Seriously, I’d watch her in anything. I’d even watch her on The Cape. That’s how you know I’m serious.

16. Briana says:

I’ll watch her in anything!

17. Ben Phelps says:

Well this sounds intriguing… it would have been nice to see her in Prime Suspect, but an original cable series sounds much more promising

18. ChristineOH says:

Can we please have Kyle Chandler join her? I’m missing the Taylors already.

19. Megan says:

I vote for Connie and Kyle to have their own talk show. They wouldn’t even need guests to keep us entertained. Seriously though, I’m so happy to hear Connie’s moving on to something promising rather than The Event (heard some rumors earlier and they sufficiently terrified me). Hope it lives up to her talent!

20. Sasha says:

I really hope that by the time this series is developed and aired that it doesn’t have to go through the “rabid Terriers fans” demands that their show be brought back or they will never watch a NEW FX show again. ‘Lights Out’ has had a tremendous amount of backlash from many of these ‘people’ claiming that Terriers was cancelled because of ‘Lights Out’. I wish Connie the best of luck in her new endeavor and if I could have one wish granted it would be that someone,anyone in the TV Critics world would devote a paragraph or two explaining why Terriers was cancelled since it seems that there are many who too lazy to do some research and find the facts out for themselves..