Exclusive: Connie Britton Developing FX Drama with The Fighter's David O. Russell

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop

Well this was definitely worth the wait. After months of speculation about what Connie Britton’s first post-Friday Night Lights career move would be, the unofficial word is that she’s developing an FX drama series with David O. Russell, the acclaimed filmmaker behind Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees and The Fighter!

Details are sketchy, but I’m told the prospective series — Russell’s first — would be created by Russell and revolve around a female protagonist played by Britton (duh).

What do you think? Will the Emmy-nominated Britton and the Oscar-nominated Russell make a good tag team? What kind of part do you hope she’ll be playing? Hit the comments!

Comments (25)

• Prime Suspect is screwed!

Comment by Diana – February 4, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly my thoughts.

Comment by DryedMangoez – February 4, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Connie is better off on a cable TV project than the Prime Suspect remake. Half of the time U.S. remakes don’t do well.

Comment by Deke – February 5, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also don’t think Connie wants to work with broadcast networks again. She said in a few interviews before the Emmys that networks are no longer give shows a chance to build an audience like they did in the future. She also commented that Mad Men is a success because cable only need 3 to 4 million viewers.

Comment by Deke – February 5, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch anything with Connie on TV! Preferably, I would like that to be more FNL. She will always be Tammy Taylor to me!

Comment by Christa – February 4, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care what she’s on; I’ll watch it! It will be great to have her back on my TV regularly

Comment by Christy – February 4, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will follow her any where she goes. She is an amazing actress and hopefully this show will do better in the ratings then the last female driven drama on FX.

Comment by Aby – February 4, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Aby, FX has had no luck with female driven dramas. Dirt and now Damages.

Comment by Steven – February 4, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With Clear Eyes, Full Heart… Connie Britton can’t lose :-)

Comment by Drewgo – February 4, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, while Damages and Dirt may not have been overt successes, Damages is going to get at least 5 seasons total.
    Add Connie Britton to the fact that I’ve never disliked a single FX show I’ve seen (and I’ve seen most) and this seems like a winning combination.

Comment by Sam – February 4, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever she’s in, I’m watching it!

Comment by RikerDonegal – February 4, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GET. THE. EFF. OUT.
    i know it’s just buzz right now, but the thought of connie being on my TV again so soon? chills. i’ll follow this amazing woman and actress wherever she goes.

Comment by Bee – February 4, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It all comes down to the writing because if the stories aren’t good, then the series won’t be worth watching. It needs to be a female version of Justified.

Comment by me – February 4, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks to FNL, Connie Britton is basically my favorite TV actress of recent times so I’d watch pretty much any TV project she does next

Comment by David – February 4, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me so happy! I LOVE THIS WOMAN. She’s so damn talented.

Comment by Lau – February 4, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Connie and will follow her anywhere…but is this the same David O. Russell that abuses, swears at and berates his actors? I’m thinking of the famous Lily Tomlin incident and the reports of his fist fight with George Clooney on Three Kings. Am I mistaken? If I’m right, I can’t see this going well…

Comment by Steven – February 4, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, terrific news! Glad some big-name people have big plans for Connie. She absolutely deserves to headline her own show, and it needs to be something excellent to be worthy of her talents! Can’t wait to see how this project develops.

Comment by E. – February 4, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d watch Connie Britton knit a freaking sweater. Seriously, I’d watch her in anything. I’d even watch her on The Cape. That’s how you know I’m serious.

Comment by Josh – February 4, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch her in anything!

Comment by Briana – February 5, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sounds intriguing… it would have been nice to see her in Prime Suspect, but an original cable series sounds much more promising

Comment by Ben Phelps – February 6, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please have Kyle Chandler join her? I’m missing the Taylors already.

Comment by ChristineOH – February 6, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Connie and Kyle to have their own talk show. They wouldn’t even need guests to keep us entertained. Seriously though, I’m so happy to hear Connie’s moving on to something promising rather than The Event (heard some rumors earlier and they sufficiently terrified me). Hope it lives up to her talent!

Comment by Megan – February 6, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that by the time this series is developed and aired that it doesn’t have to go through the “rabid Terriers fans” demands that their show be brought back or they will never watch a NEW FX show again. ‘Lights Out’ has had a tremendous amount of backlash from many of these ‘people’ claiming that Terriers was cancelled because of ‘Lights Out’. I wish Connie the best of luck in her new endeavor and if I could have one wish granted it would be that someone,anyone in the TV Critics world would devote a paragraph or two explaining why Terriers was cancelled since it seems that there are many who too lazy to do some research and find the facts out for themselves..

Comment by Sasha – February 7, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • correcting last sentence should read who are too lazy.. Thanx

Comment by Sasha – February 7, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post