Nikita's Shane West: Michael and Alex Romance 'Just Can't Happen!'

Warning: If you’re one of the many (or few, depending on how you look at it) hoping for Nikita‘s Michael and Alex (Lyndsy Fonseca) to start lovin’ it up, Shane West has some pearls of wisdom for you: “Let’s be real, people!”

“Michael can’t date her,” West laughs when asked about a possible Malex (?) romance — something he’d never even considered before my little chat with him this morning. “It’s not gonna happen.”

Seriously, he’s not picking on the devoted fandom. West completely understands why people might think the show is headed that way, but instead of egging you guys on, he’s just ripping the band-aid off in quick, painless fashion.

We’ll let West elaborate: “It just can’t happen unless they want Michael to be a bad guy. Michael can’t have a history with a student, i.e. Nikita, fall in love with her, have a relationship, have things fall apart because of Michael’s past and his revenge motif and then date another student — who reminds him of Nikita! Does that mean he’s dated more than them, that are also students, that remind him of Nikita?! That makes him a creep. It just can’t happen.”

Makes sense. There’s definitely chemistry between Alex and Michael, but West believes it runs deeper than romance.

“Michael cares about his students, period,” he tells us. “But the care is more fatherly for Alex. They’re bringing in a love interest for her [Thad Luckinbill], which parallels Nikita’s past, and Michael gets very protective of Alex because he knows what’s happened with Nikita and Daniel.”

So he loves her…but he doesn’t looove her. Got it?

“If there was no Nikita and Michael, which is kind of the point of the story, then maybe something could happen with Michael and Alex,” West add, “but I feel if Michael were to have something with Alex, it honestly cheapens Michael as a human being.” And no one wants that because we love our Michael just the way he is.

Be sure to check out TVLine next week for more from my chat with Shane, where we talk Michael and Nikita’s future (there is one!) and the potential fall of Division.

Don’t miss all sorts of Mikita fun on Nikita tonight at 9/8c on The CW.

Comments (91)

• nice to see a blogger hard at work

Comment by favorite pork recipes – February 7, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have always thought Michael/Alex have WAY more chemistry than Michael/Nikita. Plus, if a pairing is popular enough, the showrunners will throw convention to the wayside (see Gossip Girl / The Vampire Diaries).

Comment by Ella – February 7, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah but in this case MIKITA is the more popular pair with more amount of fans.!! LOL..and what about the TVD?Delena clearly have more fans but they still aren’t together so yeah.!!

Comment by Clana – February 7, 2011 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nice posting

Comment by favorite chicken recipes – February 8, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why are people getting so worked up? calm down malex fans!!
    I personally, like michael and nikita BEST but i find in the episode when im watching it i also like michael and alex. I dont really know why but i guess i like the idea of malex but if it happened id probably get excited then commercial would come and id be creeped :)

anyways i just dont think we sould get worked up ! Last I checked these were the actors thoughts and opinions NOT the writers… so who knows? just watch and see !!!

Comment by elena – February 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Craig Silverstein said it wasn’t even a possibilty. So I’m happy. It’s not even because Michael and Alex weird it’s because their BLA! They are dry as anything more than teacher/student. I’m not even bothered to talk about it anymore cos it aint happening.

Peace

Comment by Tyler – March 4, 2011 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shane,
    It does not make Michael a creep or a bad guy to fall for Alex. Michael is a complex character and that is what makes him so interesting. We all see the way you look at each other hehe ;) give Nikita fans what they want. P.S. Alex and Thad have the chemistry of a houseplant, I dont believe its real, I dont believe Alex would crush on him. He’s kinda lame.

Comment by Beth – February 10, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The anticipation of Michael and Alex is half the reason I watch the show. I dont see a fatherly relationship there. Shane West looks younger than Maggie and closer in age in real life at least to Alex. Alex is special in a way that Nikita was so I wouldnt think that he hooked up with more students. Michael doesnt look at Alex in a fatherly way and I am way grossed out that anyone would think that! To put Alex with the randon party drinking dude across the hall totally cheapens Alex! Nikita and Michael are a thing of the past and they do not have the chemistry that Michael and Alex have. Michael is a good guy/bad guy anyway! Falling for Alex could bring out a softer side to him we have not yet seen. Malex!

Comment by Beth – February 11, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nikita brings out the softer side in Nikita. So glad it isn’t happening, I love being on the winning ship. After years of shipping Chlark which never ever happened finally!

Mikitas have no worries, Shane West is the best! He completely understands his character.

Have you heard the spoilers? Mikita are happening. I LOVE IT!

Comment by Lucy – March 4, 2011 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way ! I totally see the chemistry with Michael & Alex !
    If thats how a father looks at his daughter, then thats even
    WORSE! I can understand if your an original Nikita fan, but watching this series I just dont see it with them.
    Perhaps its just the AMAZING and off the charts chemistry that Shane & Lyndsy have?

Comment by Ness – February 11, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t seen the movie(s?) or the old series, and just a couple of episodes from the new series and I’ve just got to say that when I think of Alex and Michael together, I get the urge to throw up.

Comment by raven – February 12, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s amazing to see the reaction of people reading something and believing it without even knowing if it’s realy true or not – i for one dont beleve until i see so i guess i should just wait and see what’s gonna happen next…

Comment by adele – February 16, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael and Alex would be so YAWN and randomly weird. Shane West rocks! Michael and Nikita are the best. Period. Shane West and Maggie Q have the most amazing chemistry. I love the show so much because of them.

Alex was still in pigtails when Michael and Nikita were getting sweaty on Division Mats.

Comment by Ophelia – March 4, 2011 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A relationship between Michael & Alex would mean nothing it would be trivial just like most of the hook ups on 90210 and Gossip Girl.
    NIKITA is not one of those shows. Malex shippers should switch to those shows because they are not going to get what they want and can bitch and moan all they like. Loyal fans are satisfied with the show!

Comment by Sammi – March 4, 2011 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • having been a fan of both lfn n nw nikita i can definately promise u that michael n alex aint happeninig.it has always beem about michael and alex: as it should be so stop dreaming.i dont enen know where u get the alex and michael thing from?there is no chemistry whatsoever.if u pay attention u will notice that the looks michael gives nikita are passionate but towards alex protective, like a father-daughter thing so u alex n michael fans plz get on board.

Comment by dayo – March 7, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Like to see more Owen, alex and Micheal… And as for alex in season 2, PLEASE find someone better, nathan is just, BORING!! like you should find someone like Damon (Vampire Diaries)… And I’m on team Amanda/Percy …. AmanCY ?!! :D

Comment by Yeam – May 29, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, thank you Shane! No offense but all this Malex talk is creeping me out. How can it possibly be possible ? I really don’t see it, Alex and Michael are more like brother/sister if not daughter/father . Nikita and Michael are the real deal. Very happy to hear they are not headed Malex’s way! It’d just not be right :)

Comment by Lynn – July 31, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t you guyz read?MIKITA is real just look closely at how Michael reacts when he learns that Nikita is in trouble.the worst is MALEX

Comment by immaculate – August 9, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the interesting and great learn. Your blog is written in a manner it’s so easy to read and understand. I’m a fan of your web site. Many thanks for giving these details.

Comment by Conway – September 15, 2011 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank u shane 4 letting us kw what will happen.mikita are d real ting,i luv watching their part.i luv alex too,bt malex is nt gonna happen.

Comment by sonia – May 20, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post