Nikita's Shane West: Michael and Alex Romance 'Just Can't Happen!'

Warning: If you’re one of the many (or few, depending on how you look at it) hoping for Nikita‘s Michael and Alex (Lyndsy Fonseca) to start lovin’ it up, Shane West has some pearls of wisdom for you: “Let’s be real, people!”

“Michael can’t date her,” West laughs when asked about a possible Malex (?) romance — something he’d never even considered before my little chat with him this morning. “It’s not gonna happen.”

Seriously, he’s not picking on the devoted fandom. West completely understands why people might think the show is headed that way, but instead of egging you guys on, he’s just ripping the band-aid off in quick, painless fashion.

We’ll let West elaborate: “It just can’t happen unless they want Michael to be a bad guy. Michael can’t have a history with a student, i.e. Nikita, fall in love with her, have a relationship, have things fall apart because of Michael’s past and his revenge motif and then date another student — who reminds him of Nikita! Does that mean he’s dated more than them, that are also students, that remind him of Nikita?! That makes him a creep. It just can’t happen.”

Makes sense. There’s definitely chemistry between Alex and Michael, but West believes it runs deeper than romance.

“Michael cares about his students, period,” he tells us. “But the care is more fatherly for Alex. They’re bringing in a love interest for her [Thad Luckinbill], which parallels Nikita’s past, and Michael gets very protective of Alex because he knows what’s happened with Nikita and Daniel.”

So he loves her…but he doesn’t looove her. Got it?

“If there was no Nikita and Michael, which is kind of the point of the story, then maybe something could happen with Michael and Alex,” West add, “but I feel if Michael were to have something with Alex, it honestly cheapens Michael as a human being.” And no one wants that because we love our Michael just the way he is.

Be sure to check out TVLine next week for more from my chat with Shane, where we talk Michael and Nikita’s future (there is one!) and the potential fall of Division.

Don’t miss all sorts of Mikita fun on Nikita tonight at 9/8c on The CW.

Comments (91)

• I’m hoping Nathan stays around for awhile. I’m loving this Colleen/JT reunion going on right now (Y&R fans know what I’m talking about).

Comment by George – February 3, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS MAN (and Maggie) IS EPIC. That is all.

MIKITA ALWAYS!!!!

Comment by Rachel – February 3, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a friend who is hard core malex fan, and from day one I said that was creepy.
      you dont just date a child because they remind you of the woman you love/loved….. its well, odd to say it politely

Comment by katrina – February 9, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s exactly what I wanted to hear!! I totally agree with Shane, If Michael falls for Alex that means he could fall for any of his students, then his feelings for Nikita would mean nothing.
    Thank you soo much for this!

Comment by veronica – February 3, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The chemistry is with Michael/Nikita!!! I agree Michael is more a father figure to Alex. Mikita FTW!

Comment by N – February 3, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH SHANE WEST & MAGGIE Q. They get it. They are the bomb…ITA with everything he said here. <3 Mikita is where the true love story is at and always will be. Can't wait for Nikita tonight! LOVE this show too much lol.

Thanks for the interview!

Comment by Jen – February 3, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo! As a devoted Malex fan, and I refusing to go down, I respect Shane’s opinion, but as a viewer who has never seen a single episode of the original Nikita series I feel no genuine spark between Nikita and Michael. Any storyline that involves those two being together and running off into the sunset together will just bore me to tears. I understand the original shippers of Michael and Nikita being all for them, but otherwise I just dont get it.

And please Michael (As in Michael Ausiello, the awesome), next time you see/speak to Shane or any of the other cast mates make sure he gets this message from every Malex fan out there. -If you want us to stop shipping them, then please Shane, stop having the eyesex! with Lindsey. And if you don’t, and expect me to believe what Michael feels towards Alex is fatherly, then you have one warped mind my friend! Because that is not fatherly love I see in those eyes, it’s pure animal lust.

Comment by Jess – February 3, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I thought Michael had the most adorable “lovesick puppy” faces whenever Nikita’s name was mentioned in the early eps. His devotion to her is masked, but all the more passionate for how low-burning it is. At least, that’s how I saw it.

As for Alex… err, she’s really young. ^^; And she has no interest in Michael, so it’d be kinda creepy if he–as a much older man in a position of authority over her–had feelings for her. Especially in as sketchy an institution as Division where the cadets are more or less powerless (think back on that squicky incident with the doctor and Alex… yuck!). I’m really thankful Shane West (and hopefully the producers of Nikita) understand that this would destroy Michael’s good-guy character and will not go that route.

Comment by Cy – February 3, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I’m not sure what the Malexers are smoking. Not only does every episode make it clear Michael loves Nikita. I mean he really really really DEEPLY loves Nikita. But Shane West has said it already.

Alex has NO interest in Michael e.g Thom and Nathan especially Nathan she dreamed of being married and having a baby with him. ‘I want to go back to Nathan’

Michael has NO interest in Alex. Michael isn’t so manwhore, he is a good guy. The only evident thing is he sees Nikita in Alex. As everyone says Alex reminds everyone of Nikita.

Plus the biggest reason everything about Michael and Nikita is epic, their eyesex, their reaction to just the mention of each other’s names. I love the way Shane West plays Michael my heart just melts. Through his facial expressions he says so much.

I love Shane West and Maggiw Q. Thank-you for bring us Mikita!

Comment by Ally – March 4, 2011 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ive never seen the original or any remakes of Nikita either but i agree completly with Shane, I have always seen Michael and Alex as more like a brother and sister vibe! And i have always seen the connection between Michael and Nikita, It is the looks he gave of love sickness whenever her name was mentioned!

Comment by Kate – February 3, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then you’re reading WAY too deep into those looks cause I’ve never seen him look at her in any way more than as a father-figure. He feels like he has to protect Alex to keep her from ending up like Nikita and maybe you guys think that’s a sexual thing but its really not, its him caring for her as her mentor. Aside from that, Alex is suppose to be 18, he is incredibly creepy if he goes for her knowing she’s half his age.

Comment by Kris – February 3, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that it’s no good with Nikita involved but as an 18 year old if a 30 sum thin year old sexy spy… Well any way just saying they’re be cute. Of course I see how it would be creepy on his part but still.

Comment by Kami for – December 30, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!!!

Comment by Maria – February 4, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with every word you said!!! i’v never seen the original series
      before and as a starter i think that michael shoul be with alex!!!!!!!

Comment by adele – February 16, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael/Nikita!!!! They have all the chemistry! My cousin is a fan of Michael/Alex…but I just don’t see any romantic chemistry…so happy to hear that’s not where they’re headed. Nice interview!!

Comment by Sam – February 3, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh………… I’ve never seen the movies and only 3-4 episodes of the american series.

Sorry. But your argument against Mikita/They’re shippers is irrelevant.

Comment by Rachel – February 3, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never watched the original series, but I must say you can feel the chemistry with Maggie/Shane as Michael/Nikita. Their will they/won’t they relationship I think is the next best thing! Love them! Thanks for the interview!! Love Shane West.

Comment by Amy – February 3, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MICHAEL NIKITA IS IT!!!!! YAY!

Comment by Josie – February 3, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup, thank you. I agree with you Shane West. Look forward to upcoming Mikita. Great interview.

Comment by Brad – February 3, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a fan of both the original 1997 series with Peta Wilson and Roy Dupuis and the current one, I must say that to compare them is unfair. They’re two different shows. This version’s Michael/Nikita have a sexy/flirty will they/won’t they, while the 1997 series had a romance. Both are different and while the characters have the same names they’re different.

I don’t think you have to be a fan of the original Michael/Nikita love story Peta and Roy made us fall in love with to appreciate the sexy chemistry between Shane West’s Michael and Maggie Q’s Nikita!

As for Michael/Alex fans I don’t get the chemistry…sorry.

Comment by Claire – February 3, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, my respect and love for Shane West just went up about 100 points. THANK YOU for wanting your character to be a “faithful” lover (though of course, his love with Nikita is hopelessly complicated). It really would be just silly if he and Alex got together (also, it would cause problems in Alex and Nikita’s relationship, which is fascinating in its own way). And at the same time, I like that Shane/Michael acknowledges that he truly cares for his students, despite the awful fates they are often led into.

Part of Michael’s endless appeal is that he *is* helpless against the humongous institution of Division and Percy, but he still tries in his own small, daily fight, to do all he can to protect his students. After watching students he cares for die again and again, it’d be easy for him to get jaded and try to stop caring so that he won’t have to feel pain when they get killed. But he never takes that easy way out; he still cares, after all these years (even after Nikita!), and that is what makes Michael amazing.

Comment by Cy – February 3, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to know that Shane truly understands his character and what would and what would NOT maintain the integrity of the story and of his character. Michael and Nikita have excellent chemistry! And I say that as someone who never saw either of the movies or the LFN series.

And, as Shane said, “let’s be real” people. Alex is 19 years old. She’s just a few years older than Michael’s daughter would have been if she had lived. A romance with Alex would just be creepy and gross with that in mind. Instead of just shipping random characters together b/c they look pretty, how about thinking about what would make sense for the characters? I’ve never seen anything but paternalistic concern for Alex by BOTH Michael and Nikita. They both act more like her parents. I’m glad that I’ve been reading that correctly.

Comment by Diva – February 3, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aahh crap. First they take away my Thalex, now Shane’s telling me there’s no chance we’ll ever get some Malex?
    No fair.

Comment by Dominique – February 3, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY agree. I can see the conflicting emotions between nikita and michael. i really can, and i respect that. i probably wouldnt completely Hate it if michael and nikita got together (meaning, i wouldnt destroy or mutilate anything… but i wouldnt be at all happy)
      For me, it was always Alex and Michael from episode 1. i love malex and i always will, even if it doesnt happen (I seriously hope it does, despite what shane says) im an owen/nikita, alex/michael fan. nothing is going to change that.
      BTW, the eyesex between michael and alex isnt exactly helping. if i didnt know any better, i would say shane had a thing for lyndsy… i know he’s married and everything, but if he was going for a fatherly look of concern, he was WAAYYYYY off.

Comment by katie – February 6, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • woaaaah did yu say shane west is married?
        well there goes my already 0% chance with him lol

Comment by katrina – February 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • did not need to hear that Shane was married.. thanks for that!

Comment by Beth – February 11, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cried I wanted it to Tom when he died I said ok Mikey’s standing pretty close there bit noooo!

Comment by Kami for – December 30, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see the same look in Micheal when he looks at Jaden as well LOL so does it mean Jaden and Michael will be the next pair??No!!..they are all recruits..but his one and only true LOVE IS NIKITA…GET IT PEOPLE.!!And stop playing spoil sport!!.You know what they say?.If you cant beat them..join them.!!.MIKITA FTW.!!

Comment by Deanna – February 3, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading several interviews today with Shane. Concludes that he achieved something, he got off the Malex fans. I hope for his sake, Nikita and CW that the ratings do not fall.

Comment by RCRC – February 3, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MIKITA ftw!

Comment by Josh – February 3, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah the show is called NIKITA..right shane..agree..but:
    Maggie Q. is Perfect in action scenes and fight
    but Maggie Q. is a crap in scenes involving emotion ( I hate her fake cry…no way)

I want a heroine with real emotions. That’s why I love Alex/Lyndsy!

maybe next time in another show I can see you. For now Bye Bye Nikita

Comment by Bia – February 3, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re leaving the show? ok. BAI!!! have a nice a life insulting one of the most epic women of all time.

Comment by Rachel – February 3, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha this is so lame.
      I hope you enjoy shows with actresses who cry really really well!

Comment by Sky – February 3, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good riddance Bia.

Comment by Saying Goodbye To Bia – March 4, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOOD RIDDANCE with that attitude. :) Buh-bye.

I CANT WAIT FOR NIKITA :D. I love Maggie Q and think she’s exceptional at acting and same goes for Shane West. They capture the Michael & Nikita roles exceptionally well & the love they shared. They are both so amazing. This interview is amazing. ITA with all he said. :)

Comment by Jen – February 3, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with what someone said:”The thought of Michael and Alex having a secret liaison excites me much more than Michael and Nikita having a secret liaison.”

Sorry Shane I respect your opinion, but you killed my weekly excitement. For to see a copy of an old Tv-show, a copy of an old couple, it’s better see the old episodes with Peta. Cause her was more emotional and human!

Comment by Jc – February 3, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. im still going to watch in hope of something even slightly malex related, but for now, shane just completely destroyed my love of him. michael and alex have so much more passion and heat between one another than michael and nikita. i dont care if he thinks its creepy or wrong or whatever.
      if michael really fell in love with alex if would be nothing but true love. when true love is concerned, age has no limits. sorry, but its true

Comment by katie – February 6, 2011 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope the ratings make you feels better Shane!

Comment by Jc – February 3, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MICHAEL & NIKITA YAY!

Comment by V – February 3, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Nikita to come back. This just made me so much more excited especially after that last interview…..no just no. Michael and Nikita all the way OR Mikita HA!

Comment by Tenesha – February 3, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to hear. Although I only care about Nikita/Owen anyways.

Comment by Sally – February 3, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Owen/Nikita is the only ship that interests me. Cant wait for his return.

Comment by fabaa – February 4, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Owen and Nikita I totally agree! Love the will they wont they anticipation of Michael and Alex!

Comment by Beth – February 11, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • owen is one of the most boring characters on the show he can never keep up with nikita! i tink he is gonna be in anothe-few episodes and the shew his gone.
        i hope someone intresting would come for nikita cause i was realy hoping for something to happen betwin alex and micheal {until i read this interview} – but i stil have alittle hope for some romance betwin them despite the age difrence.

Comment by adele – February 16, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s just so refreshing to hear cast members express an opinion – and such a passionate one at that. It’s a nice change from teasing “you’ll have to watch to find out.”

Comment by Elizabeth – February 3, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how passionate Shane and Maggie are about their characters and wanting their characters to be written right. You can tell the cast has great passion for the series which is wonderful. I completely agree with Shane.

Comment by Kris – February 3, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Mikita all the way!!!!!

Comment by Kelly – February 3, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say how I love that he said this, “West completely understands why people might think the show is headed that way, but instead of egging you guys on, he’s just ripping the band-aid off in quick, painless fashion.” I completely love him. I, for one, am so tired of being egged on by shows and actors. I have just gained so much respect for Mr. Shane West. I am so on the Michael and Nikita bandwagon too so this is good news for me.

Comment by Brooke – February 3, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big-time Michael/Nikita shipper from the USA LFN version (Peta & Roy smoked it). This time around though I love me some Shane West & Maggie Q, I’m actually more into Alex and as someone who watched Y&R when she was on it with Thad Luckinbill I’m more excited about any screentime they have than the rest of the cast. I hope it’s a real story and not just a few episodes.

Comment by Riley – February 3, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mikita FTW! Boo Malex!

Comment by Jen – February 3, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yeah, this is what i’m talking about. Thanks for some LEGIT scoop for once, TVLINE. Your previous mistakes have been pardoned. lol.
    I seriously love this man.. Thank you Shane for telling it like it is!! Somebody with authority had to rip the band-aid off. I love him for being so honest, straightforward, for not dangling the fans along like some hungry dogs hopeful for an imaginary treat. I like that he knows his character well, knows what’s best for him on the show, and where his storyline is headed. More actors should be as invested in his role as Shane is in Michael. Shane knows what Michael’s really about, and he’s not afraid to defend his character. Yay for being awesome. I honestly can’t wait for more Michael-Nikita action, their relationship IS the core of the show and it’s been fleshed out so wonderfully. I like Alex too, and I adore her strong sisterly/mother-daughter bond with Nikita. I think it’s only right that if Nikita is so doting towards Alex, that Michael acts “fatherly” towards her as well. It’s pretty sweet actually.
    LOVE this show!! Mikita is where it’s atttt!!

Comment by Sky – February 3, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg bitter people, stop trying to taunt the ratings! You know you’re gonna watch anyway! Just get over your preconceived notions of a Michael-Alex hookup, and you’re good to go. The Michael-Alex relationship was meant to be, and is better swallowed as, a healthy mentor-trainee/ father-daughter bond anyway. And besiiides, Alex is a fresh and young character, and she is best paired up with a new character as well! Makes sense!

Comment by Sky – February 3, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was awesome well said Shane!! totally agree with his reasoning

Comment by jess – February 3, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MIKITA FTW! Thank you Shane—Alex/Michael are CREEPY. Additionally, it would destroy the Alex/Nikita dynamic…

Comment by Sharie – February 3, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s small minded thinking!!! It happened in the other series a few times. But then again the other series is much cooler!!! THey would have episodes where Michael’s mission was to seduce section operatives and at one point was even revealed that Michael had a secret marriage and son that was all a romance mission.

Comment by Jason S – February 3, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that a show (yay Shane West!) is being honest and clear about direction, and truly exploring the real heart (Mikita!) of the series. Excited for future episodes!

Comment by Alma – February 3, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree, Nikita and Michael love story is the heart of the show. Lets stay true to it. And I luv seeing the strong bond between Nikita and alex… It’s good to see that type of relationship being represented instead of all the cunning and backstabbing relationships that tv likes to highlight between women!

Comment by Mikitafan – February 3, 2011 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo Shane.
    Yeah I do not care about the ratings. In fact neither of Nikita or Shane West.
    Only TVD. But I just want to warn you that I have not seen this episode and I will not ever see THIS CRAP ANYMORE.
    therefore, when I say something, I dont make another!
    Good luck to all!

Comment by Rmame – February 4, 2011 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Shane, I was starting to get worried that show was planning a Alex/Michael/Nikita love triangle. This would totally cheapen the Michael/Nikita love story, as well as the amazing relationship between Alex and Nikita. Plus it would make Michael look like a creek that chases after all the recruits, especially since Alex is half his age. And it would totally change the tone of the show from a kick ass action show with complicated characters, to a bad soap opera.

I’m still a little worried that the show might go there with Alex/Michael, even though both Shane and Meggie Q have said it won’t happen, Lyndsy Fonseca suggested that it might.

Comment by Stacey – February 4, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad he came out and said this. After watching last night’s episode the fact she drank milk instead of wine says how young she is compared to the others. She’s 19, she’s not even the legal age to drink. It would be so wrong on many levels.

Michael and Nikita are the heart of this show and always will be. I hope Shane West and Maggie Q stand firm with how they feel.

Comment by Greg – February 4, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • there are places where you are legaly allowed to drink since the age of 18!
      i pesonally think that michael and nikita together is gonna be very boring and to expected!!!!!!!!

Comment by adele – February 16, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else having Young And The Restless Flashbacks with Lyndsay and Thad? JT & COLLEEN FOREVER!

These 2 have SOOOOO much chemistry! Excited to see them together again :)

Comment by HeatherT – February 4, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooo that sucks!!!!

Comment by Maria – February 4, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha, Shane West, the crusher of dreams.

Comment by Maya – February 4, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael and Nikita FTW!! and the show is rock with them two together.

Comment by ashie – February 4, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Shane!! I’m an old fan from the old show and I’m glad to hear you said about Michael and Nikita relationship.

Comment by Stephanie – February 4, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this was the best interview! As for people that are getting mad he is ONLY doing his job,and I think it was nice of him to put it on the table instead of having the alex/michael fans think their relationship is going to go somewhere when it isn’t. Anyways on a way better note I can’t wait to get some michael/nikita scenes because they have so much sexual chemistry that they need to let out lol! Michael is in love with nikita,and alex will be getting a new love interest thad (ex-jt) who happens to have chemistry off the charts with lyndsey. Shane is a mikita fan and I think its freakin awesome!:)

Comment by Mikita fan – February 5, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shane you and Maggie are the perfect couple of the show. The show will sink if they split Michael and Nikita apart. I am an old fan, I loved the old Michael and Nikita couple but I am also loved the new Mikita as well.

Comment by Color124ever – February 5, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, gotta love him! Michael and Nikita for the win, Michael and Alex would be gross. He’s 100% right.

Comment by Flave – February 5, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post