Ian Somerhalder on Damon's New Girlfriend, Vampire Diaries Death: 'No One Is Safe'

In case you haven’t heard, Damon’s getting a girlfriend!

The moody broody vamp is following in his brother’s footsteps and enjoying the company of a gorgeous human gal. But, as Ian Somerhalder tells TVLine, this doesn’t mean Damon’s love for Elena (played by Nina Dobrev) is gone. In fact, his battle with all those icky feelings only gets worse.

“Sometimes you just have to eat people,” Somerhalder laughs, referring of course to the end of last week’s episode where his growing heart resulted in the death of an innocent bystander.

“This whole ‘feeling thing’ is really starting to weigh on Damon and it’s becoming increasingly difficult for him to quell those feelings,” he tells us. “That frustration, compounded with the danger and problematic nature of having this werewolf thing and the Klaus thing — there are a lot of odds stacked against him”

Pile on Damon’s pesky love for Elena, and you’ve trouble ahead for the vamp. Previews Somerhalder, “The fact that Elena, this beautiful creature that he just adores, could fall to another entity and he has no control over it, really pisses him off. He has to protect what he loves, and he and Stefan will come together and make this Klaus thing happen.”

Enter Andie Star (played by Dawn Olivieri) as Damon’s new girlfriend. Sadly, this is no love story. “Damon gets a hot beard, who just so happens to be a local newscaster,” Somerhalder explains. “She’s super-fun to be around, and she’s a woman, not a high school girl. She adds a totally different dynamic to the show. She’s very quirky, very witty, she doesn’t have anything to lose. She’s not running from any supernatural entity, she’s just a person — but underneath it all, it’s sad that the only way he can express his real feelings is when he has compelled someone not to do anything.”

Now, about that much-talked about death coming at the end of TVD‘s second season: Somerhalder says he’s still in the dark, but “no one’s safe. It’s like Lost! You can just off whichever character you want — ‘Oh, a werewolf killed him!’ I do know that the werewolves will have to be dealt with. And poor Tyler. Jules is really hot, though, so maybe they can run off and have pretty little werewolf husky babies.”

(Remind us again why Ian doesn’t write this show?)

Oh a different note, most of you know about Somerhalder’s charity by now, and since many of you asked, here’s a little update on the Ian Somerhalder Foundation, from the man himself:

“It is amazing how things have come together and how much support we get from people. This seven-year-old girl sent me an email the other day saying, ‘Mr. Somerhalder, I sent my tooth fairy money to your foundation to help save the world.’ She says she understands that she’s too young to have voice yet, but she will someday, and she’d like to start helping at her school. And it’s that kind of inspiration every day that blows my mind.”

So keep your IS Foundation support coming, and don’t miss Somerhalder and The Vampire Diaries Thursdays at 8/7c on The CW.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, News

1. Michelle says:

Can we stop using the word “girlfriend”? That chick is a blood bag, nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully, she’ll be dead soon like all the other guest stars. :)

2. Cindy says:

I for one am glad Damon’s getting some adult company, and not just to quell his (and our) primal desires. I’m not overjoyed that it’s a compelled relationship – but he needs to move on & quit brooding over Elena. He’s better than that! Unfortunately TPTB seem committed to painting him as ‘unworthy’ in both his own mind & St. Elena’s. A pity.

• Nasha says:

I don’t think he is compelling her to be with him, just look at him, she wants to. But what he is compelling her with things he told her. He doesn’t his confessions out there but he needs to talk to someone, so he let’s it out and compels them to forget. It is like therapy except the girl doesn’t remember anything.

3. Lindsey says:

Hmmm. Cindy, I think he’s brooding more over the fact that he’s not human as he said recently. Yes, there’s Elena but a lot of other levels and devils he’s dealing with when it comes to actually feeling emotion and justifying that with what he IS.

4. jess says:

seriously i just love him!!

5. P.S. says:

All I can say, if the viewers are still around at the end of the season the series should continue, but not without the character Damon, no matter how Klaus turns out. There is no reason why Damon can’t form a bond with the this guy. lol. Unless Ian Somerhalder is offered a great big screen movie to do, please keep him as long as the show runs.

So Damon is a bleeding heart,but he does realize that he can never be
    with this angelic girl, unless he bites her and turns her into a Vampire, then they can both live forever, and if he doesn’t bite
    her, then he’s just not that into her afterall. Meanwhile, I want to see what happens in that blood lust relationship with the reporter. Maybe Elena can become a vampire hunter with a human boyfriend (another new hero in town) and go around with a wooden stake killing vampires. Of course she’d have to learn to be tough as nails, like Jules, I love Jules.

6. urbankittin says:

Amen to Brandi’s comment and Nasha hit the nail right on the head with what the storyline is supposed to be. Like Jess said, I just love him (even when he’s naughty)!!

7. urbankittin says:

P.S. you have an interesting alternate storyline: maybe Elena could change her name to Buffy and her boyfriend could be named Angel (before David Boreanaz got turned)!! :0)

8. Casey says:

You know, I really hate when they say “No one is safe!” when clearly there are some characters they aren’t going to kill: Elena, Stefan, and Damon. Everyone knows those 3 will be around ’til the end, and then they might die.

9. amy says:

I really hope that Caroline or Tyler don’t get killed off at the end of the season. I love them together.

10. Kat says:

Oh goody, more Damon raping women. And yes kids, it’s rape. Compulsion takes away your right to consent. But oh poor Damon! Let us all weep for the poor poor woobie and his poor poor issues that make him assault people. Isn’t it just tragic.

• Falcon says:

It is not Rape!!! She clearly stated she would be his booty call anytime and she originally hit on him! They were naked in a tub! He only compelled her to tell her his dark secret, that he kills, hence being a vampire – and after the consent part! Please be careful when making these kind of statements, thanks!

• Kat says:

Yeah, no.

What happened before the tub was consensual. But when he told her he killed people she looked freaked and pulled back, implicitly removing that consent. At that point Damon then altered her mind against her will and then, oh yeah, attacked her.

If a girl wanted to have sex with a guy until she found out a secret about him, and then he drugged her so she’d forget and still have sex with him, would you still try to argue that it’s not rape? Because that’s pretty much the definition of rape, and that’s exactly what happened here, except substitute compulsion for drugs. You tamper with someone’s mind you remove their capability to consent.

And for the record, that doesn’t just go for Damon. Any time any of the vampire’s on the show use compulsion it’s an extremely slippery slope, one that I wish the writers would be more conscious of. But at least when Caroline compels her mother to forget, it serves the greater narrative. This doesn’t serve anything except Damon’s wangst.

• kim says:

its a sitcom people.get a grip!its not meant to be taken literally.you sound like the type of person that would assault an actor if you saw them on the streets just because of the role they play.they may have a high profile career but at the end of the day,they are only human.ians role is a bad boy vampire, he acts the script that is given to him and guess what!the shows a megga hit so they must be doing something right.stop taking everything so literally and get a grip on reality.the alternative is….change the channel

11. Dominique says:

Ian’s just such a great person, I love all his interviews!
    I really hope Caroline isn’t the one who’s gonna die, she’s my fave and I’d hate to see her go.

12. delena fan says:

I agree they cannot kill of Damon! I think Caroline or Tyler might die. I was thinking Matt but those two would be a bigger shock. Unless someone does ‘die’ by getting turned…

13. Klara says:

Oh just make Delena happend already! So if anybody gotta die I’d hope for… Bonnie. Cause I hate her. But since thats not very likely, theres probably, like Matt or someone.

14. amy jackey says:

the sacifice is going to happen at the end of this season so if elena dies then nina only has the role of kathern

15. Nova says:

I’m sorry, but whatever he does, Damon can bite me any day. Really, he’s just in SO much emotional turmoil he doesn’t really know his own heart. Now that he’s starting to really feel again he doesn’t know what he should do or be. So in my opinion he’s just doing all this just to find himself, whether or not he finds at the bottom of the bathtub with a Compelled woman shouldn’t make a difference.

I just hope the series carries on with the second set of books then everyone will see Damon fully develop emotionally

16. Maisha says:

Seriously Kat, don’t watch it if you are so anti-Damon and the fact that he compels!
    Watch Cinderella or Snow White or the Cullens if that’s what you want!
    Cut the guy some slack, girl!

• Kat says:

Cut a rapist slack? No. No thanks. I will continue to watch because I adore Caroline and Bonnie and Elena and I enjoy Stefan and Alaric and Jenna and Tyler and Matt, and I am intrigued by Katherine and Isobel and John and the unfolding werewolf mythology.

Funny story, but you can think Damon is an asshole and still like all the non-Damon aspects of the show.

17. Maisha says:

Oh please don’t let anyone die!
    I love them all so much!
    Kill Klaus! He’s such a pain in the a**!
    Stupid original with stupid sacrificial demands!
    :-/

18. ianick says:

I think Damon is hot too….he sould have Elena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way..who’s that model we see him with all the time??? look:

there like everywere???

19. marouma says:

i feel really sorry , i’m just like all of you i don’t want anyone to die but i saw someone putting a red flower on a grave , so of courese someone will die , i wish it could be jenna though i adore her but this is much better than if damon was the one dying , ” stefan , damon , elena , caroline , bonny , jeremy ,matt , alaric and tyler i hope ” they should be safe , i really don’t want jenna to die , she so nice , it’s gonna be a waste but if i get to choose , i choose jenna .also if katherine dies , i’ll just say go to hell i don’t care and even if it’s john but not my precious vampire damon .

20. erica says:

Damon/Ian is the best thing on TVD, without Him holding everything together this show would have ceased to exist a while ago.