Scoop: NBC Sets Friday Night Lights Debut

Heads-up to all you Friday Night Lights fans without DirecTV: It’s almost game time: The show’s fifth and final season will bow on NBC on April 15 at 8 pm/ET.

The news comes just days after Universal announced that the show’s farewell season would arrive on DVD on April 5. The seemingly counter-intuitive timing of the release ignited talk that NBC was going to forfeit its second-window rights to season 5. But a Peacock insider tells TVLine that the network isn’t concerned about DVD sales driving down viewership.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Shawn says:

Dear FNL,
    Austin misses you.
    That is all.

2. DryedMangoez says:

Ooo! Earlier than expected, but great! Hopefully it’ll catch the attention of Emmy voters again this year =D

3. raul says:

Friday Night Lights was in my opinion the best drama of real life situations. It was thrilling and sad and made me angry and made me and kids happy.I love Peter Berg and love what he has done for television he goes unnoticed but he still does masterpiece after masterpiece drama shows. He and all the cast will be missed in our house. When I see some the cast members in other TV shows I feel proud for them,I feel as if they have won in Hollywood..

4. Liz says:

There hasn’t been a television show as quietly powerful as FNL in, well, there’s never been a show like it. Or as well-acted. Or as addictive. Or as heartfelt. Or as real. So many people missed out on one of the best family dramas ever made!

• Lori says:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I’ve enjoyed every minute of every episode. The characters, the acting, the story lines — I will absolutely miss FNL.

• Matthew says:

You are exactly right, Liz. This show had to endure a writers strike at the worst possible moment cutting the second season short and has endured horrible time slots.

But I have never experienced a story so compelling before on television. Peter Berg had the formula and right people for this one. Which is why it was so hard letting someone go season after season (e.g. Smash, Street, Lyla, Tyra, Saracen) as is the nature of growing up, but this time it’s the audience that must move on.

• Krista says:

I could not agree more. As someone who grew up in, and still lives in, a small Texas town. I know how high school football can dominate the lives of an entire community and even our rivals in a neighboring town. FNL was so realistic! No one over did their Texas accents, which was amazing! And they completely captured the phenomenon that is Texas High School Football. I felt like any one of these characters could have been someone from my home town. I am sorry so many people never got the chance to get to know them. I for one, will miss them!

5. Briana says:

Buying several boxes of tissues.

6. Mike says:

I don’t know what to do. Buy the DVD set and burn through it in a week or watch the NBC airings and stretch out the sadness?

• Brandi says:

I’m with ya. I may do both.

• Janet says:

I just raced through 4 seasons in a month. I couldn’t help myself. It’s such an amazing show. I also just bought season 1 on DVD for a few friends so I can make them watch it and talk about it with me since I found the show so late.

7. Rob R says:

I can’t believe I will be able to own the non-high definition DVD before I can watch the beautiful high definition version on NBC. How will I be able to resist knowing I can watch every one of the last precious 13 episodes? I think I prefer to watch it on NBC, rationed out at a weekly pace in glorious HD, and then afterward plop in the DVD for extras.

8. Jennifer says:

Even though I’m watching the final season right now on DirectTV I plan on watching it again when NBC airs it (though I am very seriously considering buying the DVD as well) just to relive what has been the most amazing, wonderful, incredible season yet! I still can’t believe it’s all over next week. I’m tearing up just thinking about it!

9. oldsalty says:

The NBC broadcast will also be superior to the DVDs because the NBC episodes will have original music (which is often replaced on the DVDs). I love you Liza Richardson (music

10. JC says:

Great news! I believe it debuted on NBC on April 30th! Fridays will be packed…supernatural and Fringe at 9, FNL at 8…thank God for DVR.

11. Rob R says:

Good point about the original music on NBC! I hate and am confused as to why the music cannot carry over to the DVDs….can’t that all be negotiated in advance?

12. Mels says:

FINALLY!! Also I had no clue NBC changed the music. Good to know as I love the music on FNL.

13. Matthew says:

Does anyone know if Netflix will have the DVD for season 5 available for watching instantly on April 5?

14. austin says:

best show on tv, by far……best depiction of racial issues & dynamics, by far……….what can be done to keep the show going?

15. C. Carpenter says:

I love the show Friday Night Lights!!! The real life issues are amazing. This show has got to keep going!!!! And all the characters fit into their role perfectly. And Coach Taylor, you just melt my heart with those eyes. :)

16. Jay and Linda says:

Friday Night Lights is in our opinion one of the very best shows on television. The story lines and acting are great. We never miss it and we are sorry that this is its last season. Even my wife’s 82 year old mother watches and really enjoys the show!