Breaking: CBS Renews NCIS For Ninth Season as Mark Harmon Inks New Deal

CBS isn’t about to let a good thing go as far as NCIS is concerned.

The Eye net has renewed its Tuesday-night juggernaut for a ninth season after successfully negotiating a new two-year contract with leading man Mark Harmon, whose deal was set to expire in May.

Just weeks ago, CBS entertainment chief Nina Tassler said of Harmon’s status, “We are very confident Mark will continue on with the show. He’s very happy, and we’re thrilled to have him.” Around that same time, Harmon was named America’s favorite TV personality.

Coincidentally (or maybe not), the Season 9 pickup comes the same day NCIS posted another all-time ratings high, delivering 22.85 million total viewers.

Tuesday Ratings: NCIS Hits New All-Time High

You may hereby consider TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard updated!

Tags: , ,

Comments (42)

• Maybe he should get $2 Million per episode instead of Charlie Sheen.

Comment by Darlene – February 2, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by Joe C. – February 2, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I think that’s a ridiculous amount to pay anyone I do agree Mark is a far more deserving recipient than Sheen.

Comment by Kirsty – February 2, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best Comment ever !

Comment by MCO – February 2, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Now,if only they’d finally be awarded that Emmy for Best TV Drama and Mark be given the Emmy for lead actor in a drama series,I’d be happy.
          9 seasons,and a ‘thanks for coming;see you next year’?Great cast,good storytelling,they like each other off and on set,and no major awards?

Comment by Allison – November 8, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You got that right!

Comment by Lorie – February 2, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Isn’t being Mark Harmon reward enough? Oh well, haters gonna hate.

Comment by sadtroll – February 3, 2011 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Being Mark Harmon IS the best.

Comment by ALH – May 11, 2011 05:26 PM PDT
    • Seriously best comment ever. You rock! & So does Mark Harmon! <3

Comment by Jenna – February 3, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If anyone deserves the best salary it is Mark Harmon. I just hope they do something fair for the rest of the cast. It would not work without them! Keep Cote!

Comment by ALH – May 11, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!! So excited, but what about CdP, is her contract getting renewed or not????

Comment by Lyss – February 2, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very glad to hear comfirmation that NCIS and Mark Harmon will be back for a 9th season, not that I doubted it would happen. I do wonder about Cote. Doesn’t her contract expire this year as well. Any news on her?

Comment by Crystal – February 2, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT!!!

What about Cote???

Comment by Sarah Black – February 2, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly I’m not surprised, CBS isn’t going to shoot their top drama in the head. Now make sure Cote DePablo inks a new deal.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – February 2, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! They should cancel 2and half men and give that money to the cast of NCIS! And Mr.Harmon should get CS pay! He’s so worth it!

Comment by VickiJo – February 2, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where are the emmy and globe nods!?!?

Comment by Kaite – February 2, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!

Comment by Cass – February 2, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Glad about both. I hope Cote is gone. Can’t stand Ziva

Comment by Lynn – February 2, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is such a stupid thing to say no offense. But Ziva is one of the best characters on the show.. without her, it doesn’t work and just isn’t NCIS.

Comment by Tay – June 17, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully, the writers will bring back CGIS agent Abigail Borin (Diane Neal) for some additional guest appearances. Semper Paratus

Comment by Bill – February 2, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree I have always thought Diane Neal (Law and Order) had that special something that draws the attention to her. She and Gibbs make a great chemical combination!

Comment by catherine Bush – February 28, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome news now cbs just have to renew ncis Los Angeles

Comment by mike – February 2, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t care for Ncis LA can’t begin to come up to ncis with Mark Harmon and the crew.
      jan pugsley

Comment by jan pugsley – June 20, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Why does this show never win awards? It so deserves them, both as a show and the individual actors themselves deserve awards!

Comment by Meri – February 2, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder this too. The ratings are awesome. I watch the show occasionaly, and I have seasons 1-6 on dvd, but I am suprised the show doesn’t get awards if it is watched by so many people..imo it’s not the best show on television but it at least deserves some emmy or golden globe nominations ; more than the overrated Mad Men / Boardwalk Empire. Same goes for Grey’s and Desperate ; two other veteran shows.

Comment by Ingmar – February 3, 2011 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Most awards are usually given to the critics favorites, because critics think they know best. I very rarely see awards given time and time again to the fan favorites…the show’s people love to watch over and over again. If you read a critics review you see they hate “most of the time” the shows or movies people love, and they love the movies that most people couldn’t stand to watch again, let alone the first time.

Comment by Jeremie – August 7, 2011 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like despite almost 23 million fan followers with at least 20 million of them being faithful (watched every episode from beginning to now), they are still considered the underdogs. They kind of just quietly chug along & keep getting higher ratings. The storylines are great, the humour, banter, romance, angst, emotion, and most of all the show is character driven which I love! <3 I also feel so bad when NCIS doesn't win, because they deserve it ten folds.

Comment by Jenna – February 3, 2011 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic News!

Comment by Vanny – February 2, 2011 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Now if we can just be assured that Cote will renew as well. It would not be the same without her.

Comment by oscarschoice – February 2, 2011 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It doesn’t get awards because it’s a crowd pleaser, very formulatic, and not many surprises. It’s a good show, not great. TV-series like The Good Wife, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Mad Men, Glee and so on do get awards and nominations because they either go where no show has gone before, or they do so with orginality.
    NCIS is like almost every other show on CBS; CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, NCIS: LA, Numbers(rip), and many others.

Comment by Liam – February 3, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I respectfully agree that its only a “good” show. 23 million viewers is astounding! It does have surprises and is definitely not like every other CSI or crime show. NCIS is largely character driven, and despite having good cases many fans tune in to see that character growth & dynamic as it moves & changes & grows. It’s an amazing show! My addiction!

Comment by Jenna – February 3, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, all I need to hear is that Cote/Ziva, my favorite character will be back and I’ll be happy.

Comment by Bob – February 3, 2011 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, a star who is a family man, never in the news – just delivers each week. Love me some Mark Harmon. I really like this series – I can watch a marathon of repeats on the cable channel and love the show a second, third, fifth time. Sure, there are very few surprises, but it deleivers each time.

Comment by calliesmom – February 3, 2011 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy that we have another season, and that Mark has signed on. However Cote and Rocky still need to sign. I am not too bothered about Rocky, I’m not really fussed on the character of Vance. Ziva however, is one of the main reasons why I watch. But I am wondering, they have a new agent coming in this season (a female one) and even though they said she wouldn’t be replacing anyone, if Cote does not sign, then she will most likely become a permanent fixture. Although I think it would be very very silly to mess with the dynamics of the show. After all aren’t they what make the show great?

Comment by Vicky24c – February 3, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is GREAT news, indeed! 2 more years with Mark Harmon and the gang!

I sure hope CBS keeps its paws off of NCIS. They really ruined Criminal Minds by dropping 2 major female cast members (AJ Cook & Paget Brewster) presumably to afford a silly spin off starting this month. That would be like NCIS dropping Ziva and Abby! Many unhappy fans, CBS…

Comment by Suncatcher – February 3, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now they just have to sign Rocky Carroll. I hope they don’t add a new agent, though. Just go with a three-man team: Gibbs, Tony and McGee.

Comment by tejas – February 4, 2011 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sign Cote! Ziva is the only interesting character on NCIS at this point.

Lmao, tejas. Stop spewing garbage. Every single site you have these terrible posts. Gibbs, Tony and McGee = Murderer, a man dumber than DUMB, and … Mcgee. McGee is actually okay because he is the only one who would actually be a NCIS agent.

Comment by Kay – February 5, 2011 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m starting to get a bit worried. Why isn’t Cote signing anything? Seriously I know Mark Harmon is the show’s main attraction but if they kill off Ziva because Cote decides not to be on NCIS I’ll probably stop watching it. They can’ kill her. They’ve been building so many stoylines with her character and without Ziva, there’s no Tiva and no NCIS for me. It won’t be the same.

COTE PLEASE SIGN!

Comment by Sasha – February 6, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sasha…Is that Sasha Alexander?

Comment by Sam – February 11, 2011 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Sarah Jane Morris be a permanent fixture in NCIS??? GOD, no!!!! pls don’t do this..I love TIVA! Cote pls do sign another deal..Note on CBS: if u intend to kill the character of ZIva, i swear i’ll stop watching NCIS..come on guys,Ziva’s character is one of the reason why people love NCIS.

Comment by Pauline – February 15, 2011 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not liking SJM. Okay we all know that Tony will go after anything in a skirt, but after spending most of the season watching his jealousy of Ziva’s “friend”, I just don’t think he is that shallow. And besides I don’t trust her, I mean with Vance acting so…how do we know she isn’t there for some under cover crap. And I think I will definitely do the record and fast forward or stop watching if Z is gone. The show does not need a know-it-all blonde.

Comment by Mela – March 1, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Cote doesn’t sign, I will never, never, never watch that show again!!! Cote belongs to NCIS! She belongs to the team! Don’t do this to me! Don’t do this, for everyone!

Comment by Daphne – March 7, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post