Cougar Town Boss Teases Extra Content To Get Fans Through (Slightly Extended) Break

This Wednesday at 9:30/8:30c, Cougar Town uncorks its last fresh episode for 10-1/2 weeks. That’s right, there’s a “1/2″ added in there now that ABC has decided to welcome the sophomore comedy back with a special aprés-Dancing With the Stars time slot on Monday, April 18.

So the good news is that although Matthew Perry’s Mr. Sunshine will claim Cougar Town‘s Wednesday slot starting February 9, and while you now have an additional five days to wait for Jules & Co. to crack open a new bottle of cab, the show will get an ultra-premium showcase upon its return.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Glee, Bones, Cougar Town and More!

There’s also this: “We have plans to provide all sorts of extra content (as you will see during the next ep’s title card) during this gap,” series boss Bill Lawrence shared in a “thank you” letter to us press types. (Hmm, maybe the online version of Penny Can will be kicked up a notch, allowing me a chance to break 70,000 points or “toss copper” from Bobby’s boat?)

Lawrence says he himself is “bummed” about the midseason break “because the last chunk of episodes are really about something.” Explaining that the writers’ yearly formula kicks off with of a short story arc (this season: Travis’ relocation to college) followed by “10-12 vibey-hang out episodes,” when Cougar Town resumes in April the big theme will revolve around “Travis’ descent, and watching him surprisingly follow his Dad’s footsteps.” (You can read more about that story arc in this TVLine exclusive.)

Scoop! Cougar Town Boss Talks Big Travis Twist

“We really love it,” Lawrence says of the springtime run of episodes. “Hope you do, too, when you finally see it.”

But enough with the preemptive wine-ing, folks. Slap out of it and get psyched for tonight’s new episode!

1. Ben says:

Shame about the break, but it’s only just starting in the UK on Tuesday, so I can just watch them all again while I wait.

2. Rebeccapedia says:

I’m really annoyed about this, so much so that part of me kind of hope Mr Sunshine tanks so Cougar Town comes back sooner! (EVIL!) I just don’t trust ABC, and I think Cougar Town deserves its spot in the Wednesday comedy line-up. Maybe ABC should try NBC’s thursday spectacular comedy line-up, they could bring back Better Off Ted and make it a three hour bonanza! (Wishful thinking, I know!)

• Steve says:

“Cougar Town” is the fourth lowest-rated (out of five shows) on ABC’s Wednesday lineup, and consistently loses 40-50% of its lead in from “Modern Family”. How does that translate into “deserves its spot in the Wednesday comedy lineup”?

• AJ says:

Have to agree with Steve. I think Cougar Town is a great show, but it’s ratings are not just bad, they’re terrible. Instead of people complaining that it’s getting a rest, they should be happy that it’s been renewed for Season 3!

3. August says:

oh noes! Travis is the clever one, he can’t begin his descent into Bobby(as much as I do love him)! But then again it was coming, what with hanging around with the cul de sac crew all the time and never actually being in college…

4. brynna says:

It’s already set for next year, so I’m not so worried. I actually hope Mr. Sunshine does well as it would be awesome to see the two paired next season beside one another. Imagine a crossover…lol

5. Elizabeth says:

I love cougar town but I can see how it wouldn’t be for everyone. I almost wish they would put it after the middle and before MF both of which are hysterical. I met Josh Hopkins and he is so super nice. Talked to me for an hour when he didn’t have to and for that I will always be a fan and watch his shows.

6. AlistairCrane says:

So waitaminute, do we get two new episodes that week? One on Monday, April 18 and the other on Wednesday, April 20?

So excited!

7. Tanya says:

I am really trying to understand why ABC thinks this is a good idea… yes the lead in from modern family is great but even for cougar town (a show that IMO has been more consistently funny than MF) hasn’t led 2 huge gains in ratings…. I feel better that they’ve gotten a 3rd season but am seriously dreading the next 10 Wednesdays… thank goodness I’ve got my own big Carl

8. Midori says:

The show’s ratings have been iffy for awhile now, so all fans should be happy with the 3rd season order.

9. Rolfe says:

I love the Cul de Sac Crew! I’m gonna miss them, but I’m super excited that it will air after DWTS! It needs a ratings boost!

10. Laurel says:

Penny Can Online !
    How did I miss that?
    I know what I’ll be doing for the next 10 1/2 weeks…

11. Kate says:

How does this show do badly in ratings? I’m in the UK so I cant really help much, but as much as I love Modern Family its not as consistently funny as Cougar Town! I agree with whoever said bring back ‘Better Off Ted’ and I add ‘Samantha Who’ to that list those two paired up with CT and MF would be my perfect Wednesday night comedy block!

12. rosie's mom says:

I absolutely love Cougar Town which means it will almost def be canceled. Everything I love turns out to something that the rest of the country hates. But people must not be watching CT because who wouldn’t love them? Penny Can!!!!!!!

13. Aiden says:

I’m so psyched about Cougar Town! I just wish people would get past the stupid name already and embrace it.
    Looking forward to Matthew Perry’s “Mr. Sunshine” though, and it’s cool that this particularly out of the new shows is what will temporarily replace CT’s slot. Hopefully, it’ll entertain even half as much.

14. Karen says:

What did the title card say? I missed it.

15. Mary says:

Did I miss something…wasn’t there supposed to be a cliffhanger in the last episode before the break?

16. Bazinga says:

I could not believe the show’s producers did not have a Zach Braff app app out for iPhone before that episode aired, and the penny can app is absolutely BEGGING to be done.

17. andre_dbn says:

You know…”what ever”!!!!

Why is it that they can not just “finish” a season before the cancel or pull a show?

How do they get they’re ratings?? All the comments that I’ve been reading wills searching for answers SAY that they “loved” Cougar Town!

I also loved it!! Fast, funny and very sharp humor! (Not to mention the modern dialect – been old school made it extra funny and “sweet”!)

I give up!!

Like “Invasion” – also loved it but it was just canceled! If they made it “not so slow” it would have been a hit.

So, as I said – “what ever” ABC!?

18. Crystal t. says:

Mr sunsine is boring and so slow. Even with the lower ratings cougar town is still better than mr sunshine