Spoiler Alert: Chuck Bosses on Volkoff's Return, a Chuck/Sarah Wedding, and... Season 5?

As far as epic Chuck episodes go, last night’s action-packed hour certainly ranks near the top (if not at the top). To recap: Ellie (Sarah Lancaster) gave birth to a mini-Awesome, Big Bad Volkoff (Timothy Dalton) went directly to jail, Casey (Adam Baldwin) cheated death for the millionth time, Jeffster held an entire hospital hostage with their vocals, and, oh yeah, Chuck (Zachary Levi) and Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski) got engaged! Or did they? Read on as exec producers Chris Fedak and Josh Schwartz answer that burning question (among others), tease the remaining 11 episodes (wedding?!) and weigh in on a possible fifth season.

TVLINE | You really must’ve thought last night’s episode was going to be the season finale. You practically left no stone unturned.
[NBC originally] only ordered 13 episodes, so we broke the season accordingly. We knew that Episode 13 needed to be designed in a way so that we could [resolve] a lot of the story. We knew we wanted to end Episode 13 with Ellie giving birth and Chuck and Sarah getting engaged. But much like last season, 13 now becomes a launching pad for the second half of the season.

TVLINE | The episode could’ve easily been a series finale.
Luckily, Chris didn’t listen to me. Because I was like, “Throw it all in there. Weddings, babies — it all needs to happen in this episode.”
FEDAK : It’s true. I held back the [Chuck/Sarah] wedding. We had a lot of conversations about literally getting to the wedding in episode 13.
SCHWARTZ : We felt grateful to be back this season with 13 episodes. You go into it saying, “Let’s play the hand that we’re dealt — make the best 13 episodes possible but don’t expect more than that.” That’s the exact mentality that’s gotten us through the past four years.

TVLINE | So Chris, what was the argument you made to Josh about not having a wedding in Episode 13?
There was so much story to tell — with [Mama B] and Chuck and Sarah and their relationship — [the wedding] was the one thing that we knew we could push. And in the end, if episode 13 had been our series finale I think the engagement was a strong enough moment that it still would’ve worked. Now we have the opportunity to build toward perhaps maybe a wedding at the end of this season — if Chuck and Sarah are so lucky to survive that long.

TVLINE | Are you saying “maybe” because you haven’t made the decision yet, or because you don’t want to spoil it?
I’m saying “maybe” because we’re working on that part of the season now. Things can happen between engagement and wedding. The Chuck/Sarah relationship is the cornerstone of the show and we’re not looking to break them up or throw too many problems at them. But you never know when cliffhangers are going to happen.

TVLINE | Talk to me about the decision to drown out the dialogue from the proposal with the vacuum.
We essentially did the proposal scene in Episode 11. It was a great proposal scene. It was in France, it was romantic, and Chuck essentially said everything he was going to say. So since we felt like we had done the big epic romantic proposal scene, we thought this one should be simple and in a very common place. Still super-romantic but different than what we had done.

TVLINE | Can you put fans’ minds at ease and confirm that Sarah did in fact say yes?
She hugged him right before it faded to black.

TVLINE | But did she say yes?
[Laughs] She said yes.

TVLINE| What happens to Mama B now?
She’s still part of the show.
SCHWARTZ : And you haven’t seen the last of Volkoff either.

TVLINE | Really? Will they be a major presence in the final 11?
They’ll both be in multi-episode arcs.

TVLINE | Can you confirm that Lauren Cohan’s character will turn out to be Volkoff’s daughter?
Lauren is joining the show and maybe she folds into the mythology.
SCHWARTZ : When you have somebody as good as Timothy Dalton you figure out a way to keep him in the show.

TVLINE | Will she figure into a love triangle with Chuck and Sarah?
[Long pause]
FEDAK : We’ve done the triangle a couple of times. That’s a very exciting character and that’s a very exciting story that we’re telling but I think you’ll quickly see that we’re going down a different road — something we haven’t done before.

TVLINE | Is Papa Bartowski really dead?
He’s still dead.
SCHWARTZ : We were grateful we got Scott Bakula back to do the voice of Stephen Bartowksi this season.

TVLINE | How will Robin Givens’ character figure into things? I hear she makes Casey an offer he can’t refuse.
She does. She comes into our story in episode 16 and she very much speaks to the mythology of the show. After episode 14 and 15, which are both really fun standalone episodes, we bring back the mythology and what’s happening inside the bigger Volkolff arc  — and Robin’s character factors into that. She plays a kind of a foil of sorts to Chuck. But she also knows a lot of things that Chuck doesn’t know. She also has a lot of secrets that are even kept from Gen. Beckman. So it’s an interesting deepening of the spy world.

TVLINE | How are you feeling about your chances for a fifth season?
It’s a nail-biter. Chuck fans are going to have to dig down deep and rally once again.

TVLINE | Will you write the season finale as a series finale?
Luckily this is a path we’ve been down before. We will leave nothing behind, but the door will still be left open for the future.

Want more Chuck scoop? Check out this week’s Ask Ausiello. (You didn’t think I used everything here, did you?)

1. These guys are really terrific writers. They are good to us fans. I will do my part to help rally for a fifth season!

2. Joshua says:

I am so excited to see the next half! This is by far the best season of Chuck! Still no love from the Award shows(though the competition is fierce)Heres a question though..which if any of the awards do you think snubbed CHUCK Michael?

3. George says:

Chuck Me! Can’t wait till Monday, beer and subway sub in hand.

4. Not Nikita says:

Cancel Chuck already. Bow out gracefully. Don’t end up like Heroes which went from bad to crap. Remember Chuck for the good times.

• Chrissy says:

You don’t have to watch it. The rest of us fans will:) I have watched Chuck from the beginning and I will continue until the end (which I hope is not any time soon!)

• Iffah says:

If you don’t watch Chuck, please don’t put your negative comment in here..Just please, ok..Go comment on your favorite show..

• Andy Whitto says:

Before you all go of on fanboy comments all he was saying is he hopes chuck ends whilst still being a good show, what “fan” wouldn’t want that?
      I would prefer chuck to get picked up for 13 more eps next season and work towards a real end, not a maybe and it’s cancelled.

Chuck is still good, but it’s starting to run out of steam and I would hope the show runners will know when they are running out of good story and becoming repetitive, which the side missions already are.

I’d hope for that on any show, that’s why I’m grateful the show runners on BSG knewthey had 1 season left and another season wasn’t guaranteed so they decided to make it their last and work towards a real big series finale.
      I know dexter will do the same, I think 2 more seasons and they will end it, despite them probably always getting renewed.

• Tamara says:

What killed heroes was the writer’s strike because they altered the storyline because of it. It just took a while to completely croak. The strike killed Pushing Daisises too because it had only 9 eps in the can before the strike and they didn’t air reruns so they didn’t pick up more viewers .

• StrikerChuck says:

These are good times. Maybe not season 2 but so what still good.

• CHUCKLOVER522 says:

5. onlyakb says:

owww love Chuck!! and it seems we are never going to be able to relax till a season is renewed!!! ow well!! can be Monday already???

6. Akiyama says:

Awesome, awesome interview here! Loved it. I knew she said yes just by the reaction, but always reassuring to hear it from the people who actually wrote the stuff.

As far as a ‘maybe’ wedding.. good to hear. I wouldn’t mind having a finale with a wedding for Chuck and Sarah. As far as the new female character that’s being played by Lauren Cohan.. I’m glad to hear she won’t be a love interest. No need for a love triangle now!

7. Jenny says:

Honestly, the threat of cancellation makes Chuck that much more awesome!!!! The writers always have to make awesome episodes because there is always a chance they will be the last ones. Thank God they are not!!! Hopefully, this year will be no different! I have faith that Chuck will live on!!! But I definitely think Chuck has the greates season finales because of the cancellation factor!

8. sweetiepie1019 says:

Much as I love Chuck, this back and forth, on the bubble thing is really getting irritating. So while I’d love a fifth season, what I want most is an answer as quickly as possible. If it’s canceled, I want the writers to know that before they write the finale so we get a proper, non-cliffhanger this year. And if they’re coming back next season, for however many episodes, I want them to know for sure what they’re getting so they can wrap it up Smallville style. The really important thing is knowing one way or another. As long as there aren’t any more surprise saves or a last minute cancellation, I trust the writers to end Chuck right.

• Akiyama says:

Yeah, completely agreed. NBC owes that much to both the Chuck writers/creators and Chuck fans. Just give ’em an early answer instead of having us wait with baited breath, just to see if our show will survive. :/

• Marianne says:

I completely agree, I think it would show a lot of class if NBC would be straight up with its plans with Chuck so that it can end the way writers want it. Having said that, I’ll be there every Monday, watching (LIVE) while hoping, praying for a season 5. I wouldn’t count Chuck out yet, we Chuck fans are a resilient bunch!

• Jess says:

That would be my hope as well. I really think the writers would do wonders in really knowing in advance what their fate is. If Chuck is to be renewed for a fifth season (please let it happen!) assuming they do so with the provision it is the final season, here’s hoping that NBC Comcast straight up renews it for a full 22 episode order. In doing so the series finale would also be the 100th episode. How epic would that be?

• jeremiah89 says:

While I’d agree with everyone in this thread that it would probably be nice, when you look at how horribly NBC is doing with ratings in general, I doubt it’s that simple. They can’t just make an absolute decision now.

Also, the writers seem to do really well with mixing together closure and open-endedness so that it will work well either way, and they are forced to do very short arcs. It’s almost better than being guaranteed a long season from the start and having to drag it out.

• gqdaddy says:

NBC has been pretty screwed up at the top in the last year. All you have to do is look at that fiasco with O’Brien and Leno as a measuring stick of the screw-ups that were running NBC. Poor decisions, poor judgment and poor ratings I believe shook up some of the upper management but there are still many there that I believe support Chuck and realize that the show does it’s best to give back to the advertisers who also support it and NBC. THAT is important to a network. Subway has been pretty important to the show and yes, I’m frequenting the one near me a bit more than I usually would for rewarding me by sponsoring the show I love and signing on year after year.

The show itself will bring in new actors, new story lines and new writers to keep things fresh and Fedak & Schwartz will continue to steer Chuck. I trust them.

9. Stacie says:

On one hand it sucks that they always have to go into the season not knowing if they will make it past the 13, but honestly on the other hand it is so rewarding for the fans to see all the payoff after 13 episodes. A lot of shows drag things along for entire seasons, but Chuck just blows everything up at the half way point and does it again at the end. It’s like having 2 seasons, which is really rewarding. Maybe not for the writers, who probably wish they knew how many episodes they get per year and if they will be back the next season before the last season ends, but I enjoy this kind of episode. Can’t wait to see how they rebound next week after this type of blockbuster episode.

• Jenny says:

I agree! I love the season finale within the season!!! Chuck people are doing a great thing with the hand they are dealt!!! Just pray for season 5!!!

10. Onno says:

Loved loved loved last nights episode i think the best one so please NBC give us fans a 5th season we will watch it promote chuck and the die hards will always watch even if you decide to cancel i’d still watch NBC shows and now ready for the 2nd part of the season

11. Jones19 says:

I loved this episode. So many great moments :) Loved the simplicity of the proposal at the end, so romantic. Can’t wait to see Sarah sporting that ring.

12. michelle says:

LOVE Chuck and loved last nights episode! These guys are amazing and the writers,cast and crew are great!!! Really hope NBC makes the right decision, the fans want a 5th season.

Please check it out and support!!! :)

13. Dee says:

I loved this episode so much that I will probably watch it over a zillion times till the hiatus is over. Please give us another season. Maybe now that Comcast has taken over NBC someone actually might listen.

14. Diane says:

Thanks for the interview with Fedak and Schwartz! Fingers crossed Team Bartowski lives on for another season!

15. Nicole Paige says:

Thanks for being Awesome yet again Ausiello.

16. Mikos says:

Great interview. These guys freakin get it. They know how to deliver a fun show. There aren’t a lot of shows on tv that are so kind-hearted and fun like Chuck, especially in the hour long format.

17. G says:

If last minute decisions keeps the show on longer, I’m willing to deal. I would like the network to man up and just commit to a year or 2. One of the great things with Chuck and Sarahs relationship is the building of it. I would like to see a couple another seasons of them engagement before a wedding.

18. Fabrínia Almeida says:

Fans of Chuck in Brazil, are also keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for a 5th season. Team Bartowski o/

19. Liza says:

I love Chuck! I think its even better since Morgan became a part of the team and Awesome and Ellie were pulled in. It gave way more depth to the show and I love it when supporting characters get just as much of a storyline as the leads. Casey’s daughter was a great twist as was Morgan being a fairly decent Robin to Casey and Chuck’s batman. And what can I say about Jeffster??? Pure comic genius. They kill me everytime!

20. Meg says:

I love Chuck wholeheartedly, but am I the only one that’s really sick of Jeffster? Please get them off of the show already. I’d rather see more Ellie and Awesome than those two.

21. leigh says:

I loved the ep but he’s right we better start tings up again. Last night’s ratings were a series low I read. Everyone needs to watch it again online to up the numbers

22. Brock says:

LOVED it

23. the chuck writters are some of the smartest in the world of mythology driven Tv series. I really love how they don’t wait raise questions and get down to the business of answering them!

24. MJ says:

Ask Ausiello ? That column ended months ago !

25. Aiden says:

I went straight here after I watched the epic Chuck finale. I knew there were gonna be some goods! Always appreciated, TVline.

I could not be any happier that there are 11 additional episodes following this one, even though this amazing episode could’ve perfectly tied things up.

However, as per usual, more Chuck is always better. Fans should be ready to rally now for a 5th season! I love that this being-in-the-bubble danger has improved the show immensely for the past seasons. I would really love if it were just so easily renewed, although I’m sure the fans are ready to fight for Season 5 now.

26. RC says:

I love this show SO much & wish that I could enjoy just one season of CHUCK without worrying whether or not it will be renewed. It would be wonderful to see an early renewal from NBC, but of course I will be ready to rally for CHUCK again, whatever it takes–I’ve done it before & will do it again for this incredible show, cast, & writers…! Thanks for the interview.

27. David says:

I love this show! It keeps getting better and better!!

Save Chuck! Renew for a season 5!!

28. Mace Moneta says:

Don’t they need 100 episodes for maximum syndication value? That means they need a season 5, if I’m counting right. We’re at 67 so far. The end of the season puts us at 78 (for the back 11). Twenty-two more (a 5th season) takes us to 100. It would be crazy to kill a show with such a rabid fan base before hitting the 100th episode.

29. mdz says:

I really really hope Chuck comes back for Season 5!!Please nbc make it happen!…I love the show, it really makes my day…

30. Kirsty Murray says: