RuPaul's Drag Race Recap: Space Invaders!

It was the best of judging and the worst of judging on last night’s edition of RuPaul’s Drag Race. While it was clear right from the table reading that Phoenix (pictured, left) was destined to return to the ashes, I cannot fathom why — for the second straight week — the panel heaped praise on the loud, garish, and relentlessly obvious Mimi Imfurst (pictured, right).

Ru got things started with a pun that had me howling — “set a corset for warp speed!” — but the “ESP test” opening challenge was a bust, both in terms of measuring skill sets and bringing the funny. There are only so many times you can crack a joke about the color of a stuffed pussy cat in the course of a one-hour episode, y’know? At least Raja managed to squeeze in a delectably raunchy bon mot about her close connection with Delta Work: “She even knows how many cab drivers I’ve slept with.” Oh snap.

The queens split into teams of two to create looks and then film trailers for Drag Queens in Outer Space: From Earth to Uranus, and its sequel, Return to Uranus. While filming the former preview, Phoenix kept playing to the wall, but who can blame her when the alternative was having her “frat guy with pancake makeup and silver-duncecaps bra” look committed to celluloid? (The only outfit more tragic was guest judge Alessandra Torresani’s lethargic black bustier and leopard-print gloves.) On the set of the sequel, judge/mentor Michelle Visage asked Mimi to “lower the energy a little bit,” but the bearded lady resolutely stuck to the “louder is funnier” school of comedy that went out of style with Gilbert Gottfried.

I was stoked Ru chose flawless “twins” Shangela and Alexis as the eventual winners of a prize package from boobsforqueens.com — “Did you hear that, Lily, boobsforqueens.com?” — but honestly, Stacy Layne, looking like the fiercest kind of Disney villainess, should’ve claimed the runner-up spot from Mimi, especially since she bravely donned a body suit for the runway show.

The “lipsynch for your life” segment between Delta and Phoenix wasn’t much of a contest. Sure, Phoenix’s metalic orbit headdress outshone Delta’s deflated Jetsons mumu, but the latter lady served far flirtier — and more feminine — energy on “Bad Romance.” Plus, she’s simply a quippier queen than Phoenix, as evidenced by her zinger after Manila tested out a space-monkey language. “She just ordered the cobb salad!” Delta, work.

What did you think of this week’s Drag Race? Were you happy with the result? And did you get a surge of joy hearing Lily Tomlin praise India by noting “your bosoms look completely believable from this distance”? Sound off in the comments! And for all my reality TV ridiculata, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. Mimsy says:

This week had difficult challenges but I love the creativity. Manila should have won for her tweeker monkey; that was a work of art. Phoenix just seemed tired and flat on screen.Raj was very touching when Delta was in the bottom two. I’m looking follow to Inspector LaToya next week but she would have been more at home in galactic week.

2. Drag Race wowwww ilike it

3. 4F says:

I agree about Stacy Layne–her look in the movie trailer was Disney villainess awesome.

It annoyed me that Alexis felt that sharing a moment with Shangela was beneath her. Gurl, the only reason you both won is because you were able to work really well _together_, you don’t have to be the STAR of every challenge to do your best work.

I love Delta, and although her outfit on the runway was a misstep, I’m glad she survived the episode because I think she is great, and could go quite far in this thing.

As some of the other girls pointed out last night during the lip-syncing, Phoenix was mostly trying to be Gaga, whereas Delta brought her own personality to the performance, and that has proven to be a sticking point with the judges: if a girl doesn’t have personality, the wigs, makeup, and costumes are all for naught.

4. Kari says:

Mimi need to be furst in line to buy a 6 month supply of Crest Whitestrips.

J’adore Raja and Manila.

5. Kari says:

Mimi needs to be furst in line to buy a 6 month supply of Crest Whitestrips.

J’adore Raja and Manila.

6. bmc9999 says:

This show is my secret indulgence! I think it is the funniest show on television.

7. Josh says:

The only reason the attention and praise they give to Mimi bothers me is because they had all of what she’s giving and more from Pandora last season. And she was constantly knocked for her costumes, which were far better than anything we’ve seen so far.

8. oriharakaoru says:

My only real complaint was I wanted to see more from the movie trailers. The little snippets weren’t enough for me. :( Also, Shangela, gurl, stop being so ugly. It’s not a good look (especially in the Untucked episode that aired right after DR. She was in full-on ATTACK mode).

9. Michele says:

Trainwreck.

And I want to know who Tomlin lost a bet too. Was Tomlin even there when the Queens walked the runway? The cutaways to her were as painful as the off the top cartoony writing and bad puns.

At least Alessandra Torresani seemed to want to be there.

10. Marc C. says:

All the +’s of a drag show, without the cover, the smokey bar, and drunk ausholes. If you don’t love Drag Race how the hell you gonna love yourself? Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!?

11. Molly says:

India’s bosoms do NOT look real. And praise be for Phoenix going home. Her nasally congested voice was obnoxious. Stacy may have been brave, but the bigger girls really should shy away from shiny metallic materials…they don’t do any favors. I hope Mimi goes home next.

12. Kaine says:

What about Mariah’s outfit gave a futuristic look?, but she was absolutely beautiful !!

13. KevyB says:

Has the writer of this article ever seen RuPaul “acting” campy?? I knew Mimi would be praised for it since I think she draguated from RuPaul University. In fact, I thought when they told her to bring it down in rehearsal that she was actually spot on with the over-the-top lines she was given. Then, for the trailer, I swore they chose the most over-the-top horrible reading she gave. As a person, she’s annoying as hell, but what she’s doing in drag is practically what is expected from larger drag queens in the real world. And, frankly, way-WAY-over-the-top is leagues better than what last season’s winner gave us: NOTHING.

14. Barry McD says:

For me, the second episode of Season 3 was the first time I realized Drag Race is really just entertainment. Nothing could explain the choice in Finalists to start with. And the winner of the mini-challenges always seem totally arbitrary — possibly for the producers of the show to merely control the outcome of the race. I’ve heard Rupaul recently say the best piece of advice he’s heard is “don’t take life too seriously”. Right. And for the contestants and everyone watching the show, don’t take this as a serious drag race either — it’s not. It’s entertainment.

15. Gagawill says:

Where did raja get her outfit I want it