The CW's Pilot Pickups Take On Zombies and Angels, Doctors and Detectives

As the old adage goes, stick with what you know. Or in the case of The CW, it’s who you know. The network is doing just that in its latest round of pilot pickups, which include a medical series from the Gossip Girl showrunners and a Supernatural producer’s legal drama.

Hart of Dixie, from Josh Schwartz (Chuck/Gossip Girl) and Stephanie Savage’s (Gossip Girl) Fake Empire production company, is about “a young New York City doctor who inherits a medical practice in a small Southern town inhabited by an eclectic and eccentric group of characters.” Sounds half Everwoodish, huh?

Awakening, meanwhile, is the zombie spec script picked up by The CW just last week. It follows “two sisters who come of age and face off against one another amidst the beginning of a zombie uprising.”

Zombies Invade The CW!

Heavenly, by Supernatural co-producer Rickard Hatem, centers on “a dedicated young female attorney and a former angel, Dashiel Coffee, only recently turned human, who tackle cases together at the attorney’s legal aid clinic. She saves clients’ butts while he saves their souls.”

And finally, Cooper and Stone follows “two smart young female detectives on Chicago’s North Side who are best friends, equally adept at discussing fashion, music, pop culture as they are solving homicides.” So, nothing at all like Rizzoli & Isles.

Which of The CW’s pilots interests you most?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. Stefanie says:

Hart of Dixie sounds like Northern Exposure too.

Heavenly sounds a bit like Drop Dead Diva.

No new ideas at CW, eh?

• Denise says:

You are so way off base I love the CW and I love the fact that Heavenly is in the running I love the idea and I Love the whole premise>

2. Steven says:

I’m always game for a good legal drama, but that sounds awful! Is next year the year The CW finally shuts down?

3. Dirk says:

I have a high tolerance level for the CW, but all of these ideas sound terrible. Surely, they had to have been offered better than this.

4. Ces says:

The CW let go of Lux, Cate and Baze for these shows??? Bring back Life Unexpected!

5. AT says:

The only one that sounds interesting to me is “Heavenly.” But it could go either way. That said, why wouldn’t they order “The Secret Circle?” That would have been a sure hit. Sigh. That’s what I really wanted to see. Just because one network can have a hit with zombies doesn’t mean the CW will too. It doesn’t sound very interesting, but who knows. Maybe they’ll pick up Secret Circle mid-season.

• Georgette Perry says:

I am so glad about Heavenly It sounds like a winner cannot wait> we need Angels right about now>

6. V says:

I have given up on The CW! I loved The WB but when The CW took over it turned to crap.

Hart of Dixie = Everwood

Awakening = The Walking Dead

Heavenly = Angel

Cooper and Stone = Rizzoli and Isles

Nothing original at all!!

7. Liz says:

It also sounds like Doc Hollywood (Hart of Dixie). The only one that sounds fun is Awakening, which will be a good companion for supernatural on friday or with vampire diaries on thursday.

8. Sam says:

I’ve never seen a Josh Schwartz show that I didn’t love. Seeing him tackle more small-town America for once could be really awesome.

9. Kat says:

None of those pilots sound good to me and if they pick up any of those cheesy sounding shows over Supernatural I’ll be boycotting the CW bigtime!

10. Charbarred says:

Heart of Dixie sounds kinda interesting if done well, but overall it doesn’t look like the CW is going to have a good year next year.

11. timotey says:

So, Awakening is basically Supernatural’s episode The End, only Sam and Dean switched genders and became sisters, right?

• Peace Reeds says:

If “Awakening” it was half of good as Supernatural’s “The End”, I’ll watch it. But lets not forget that “The End” was written by Ben Edlund (personally, my favourite writer in the series), and that it must be one of the best episodes in the fifth season and probably, the entire series.

12. Trista says:

Hopefully none of these will replace One Tree Hill – one more season CW!!!!!!!!!

13. bob says:

The CW buddy cop show, sounds like psych. Talks about pop culture while solving crimes….It’s psych without the pscyh

14. Anne says:

Can’t wait for Heavenly…I have followed Richard Hatem’s work since Miracles (co produced with David Greenwalt at ABC a few years back)…sounds like a retread of Angel, but I liked Angel and missed it when it was gone, so I am ready for a reprise.

• Belinda says:

This doesn’t sound like Angel, it sounds more like a bad combo of Fairly legal with Touched By An Angel, it just sounds so bad. And the fact that the show-runner was on Supernatural clearly hints to the fact that this is trying to ride on the coattails of the success of Supernatural’s angels like Castiel.

Only problem is, this is no where near as good as Castiel.

If they pick it up, I will give it a try, but the idea just sounds terrible, and seriously, Dashiel Coffee? They might as well have named this angel after Castiel and Dean.

15. Mara says:

DASHIEL?! Forget that his last name is *Coffee*, can we focus on the fact that the Supernatural producer named his character DASHIEL? That doesn’t sound at all like Castiel. Or Dean for that matter. If they drop Supernatural for any one of these crapfests, I’d be upset but if they don’t greenlight Season Seven because they want to take an awesome Angel that they already have, completely emasculate him by giving him a crappy name (and have him played by anyone besides Misha Collins) and dropping him into “Fairly Legal”, it will be the last time I watch the CW. It just blows my mind. Supernatural has one of the most passionate fanbases of any show on television, pulls in more viewers than the crapfest that is “Gossip Girls” and just got a TV Guide cover and CW still allows stuff like this to happen. Supernatural suffered far many abuses under CW reigns but Dashiel is just absurd.

16. deborah says:

Heavenly!! I love angels! But the show about zombies turns me off. No thanks!

17. Linda says:

Hart of Dixie: 1 part Northern Exposure, 1 part Everwood, 1 part Doc Hollywood = one large ripoff.

Thanks. I’ll pass.