Friday Night Lights' Swan Song WILL Air on NBC

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t… wait to see the fifth and final season of Friday Night Lights on NBC? Well, there’s good news. Despite buzz to the contrary, the show’s swan song season — which is currently unspooling on DirecTV — will air on the Peacock.

News that Universal was releasing the Season 5 DVD months earlier than usual — on April 5, to be exact — triggered speculation that NBC had decided not to run FNL‘s final 13 episodes. After all, why would the network want to give fans’ the option of watching the show’s endgame on DVD before it even aired the season premiere? (The DVD set for Season 4 hit the street last August, well after it completed its run on NBC.)

But an insider insists there’s no cause for alarm. The source maintains that although it has yet to be scheduled, the farewell season will be broadcast on NBC.

Of course, if you’re a DirecTV subscriber this is all a moot point; the series finale airs on the satellite dishnet on Feb. 9. Speaking of which, someone remind me to pick up extra strength Xanax and two-ply Kleenex this weekend at Walgreens.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Jennifer says:

I am lucky enough to have been able to catch the final (sob) season and I am very glad that NBC is going to air it. It is far and away their best season yet and every week just gets better and better! I just don’t want Feb 9th to come as I know it’s the end :(

2. Ryan says:

I locked in my pre-order about 4 months ago though so I’m only paying $19 for the greatest show (aside from Fringe) on TV. I like chilling out with some commercial free DVDs that have perfect widescreen picture and 5.1 surround sound. I may just watch on DVD. It absolutely wrecks me though that it will have been 14 months since I saw a new FNL episode!

To keep me busy, I decided it was time to buy the show on DVD and my local Target had a sale last week: Seasons 1 and 2 packaged together for $15!!! :) :) :)

Why oh why isn’t there going to be a season 6? So NBC can air a pilot about cops using magic? OMG, no wonder Chuck and Community are the only things left I watch on there. They’re tied with ABC cause they’ve got Castle and V.

3. Joey says:

why were these actors not nominated for any awards save the emmys? It is insanity.

4. liz says:

If NBC decided not to air the last season they would officially go down as the dumbest network out there. I am sad to see this show go because it is such a treasure. Kleenex will be by my side on Feb 9th!

5. Anna says:

Another reason why Harry’s Law is the only NBC show I watch.

6. Jenny says:

I love this show! Can’t wait to see the final season!

7. the tenor says:

I’m sure that it’ll pull in better ratings than “Chase”. I mean, it actually didn’t do that bad for NBC last year, considering they aired it on Fridays in the Summertime.

8. Cindy says:

I’ve been waiting forever to get an actual premier date from NBC!!! FNL is an amazing show, can’t wait fir the 5th season. Wish it wasn’t the final :(

9. Bee says:

omg only 2 episodes left. ahhhhhhhh!
    and even bigger OMG to tyra returning this week! wooofreakinghooo!
    i have a dream: kyle chandler, connie britton, and the show all take best drama actor, best drama actress, and best drama at this year’s emmy’s. i’m allowed to dream.

10. SaraK says:

My jumbo box of Kleenex is standing by for the finale. I can’t handle the loss…

11. Kathy says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show!

12. nancy says:

It seems to me someone who considers himself a professional writer should know the difference between FANS (plural) and FAN’S (possessive)
    Please check your grammar before publishing.

13. Pam says:

Just another “stupid” decision to cancel a great show. Loved it!!
    Lets put some more reality crap on. We don’t have enough of that! It’s understandable why some network loose their viewers. DAH!!