Exclusive: Burn Notice Prequel Rounds Out Cast

Production on the Burn Notice prequel TV-movie is getting underway in Bogota, Colombia, and with that a bevy of faces have been added to the cast.

Directed by Burn Notice frontman Jeffrey Donovan and starring Bruce Campbell, the telepic is set in 2005, as a faction of Colombian rebels makes trouble for the locally stationed military platoon. When Lt. Cmdr. Sam Axe (Campbell) is deployed to check things out, he uncovers some dark secrets of the area and, in turn, learns hard lessons about deception and sacrifice.

Burn Notice Prequel Starring Bruce Campbell Is A Go; Jeffrey Donovan To Direct

As this backstory gets underway, TVLine has learned, Chandra West (The Gates, pictured above right) will play Donna, a sexy and fun woman Sam has recently started seeing.

Then, as the action moves to Colombia, RonReaco Lee (The Good Guys) turns up as Dr. Ben Delaney, a field medic who runs a non-profit clinic and now finds himself fending off terrorists. Similarly, Kiele Sanchez (Lost, above left) plays a humanitarian with a food relief effort who has a hard time trusting soldiers — Sam included.

Lastly, our Sam needs someone to report to during the ordeal. That responsibility falls to John Diehl (Stargate) as Rear Admiral Lawrence, a no-nonsense Naval Officer who will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of things.

The two-hour Burn Notice prequel movie is due to air on USA Network sometime this spring. Donovan is directing a script by series creator Matt Nix, and Nix, Donovan and Campbell are all serving as executive producers. Producer Aaron Ginsburg has been blogging stories, funny anecdotes and photos from the shoot to date.

Are you curious to see Sam’s backstory get fleshed out?

Comments (84)

• I’m confused … TVLINE.COM only debuted 01/05/2011, so how can there be a backdated article from November 2010 about the Burn Notice prequel being a go?

Comment by SayWhat? – January 31, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • from the parent site, deadline … i guess

Comment by Mike – January 31, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah, OK, thanks. It threw me off seeing tvline.com as the “source” on the archived story…

Comment by SayWhat? – January 31, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it is going to be great! Glad to hear Jeffrey Donovan is directing, i feel he will do a tremendous job! As for Bruce Campbell it is a time for your star to shine, you add so much to the show along with your other castmates! The show is a team effort without all the talent wouldn’t have been such a success.

Linda S.

Comment by Linda – February 1, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a reason why the Burn Notice prequel doesn’t focus on the show’s main chcharacter? What is Donovan doing as a director? The real story should be about Michael’s beginnings as a spy, not Bruce Campbell playing GI Joe in the jungle pretending to be someone half his age.

Comment by Gina – January 31, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe that Bruce Campbell has such a big fan base and those fans “demanded” a Sam back story movie. As a huge fan of Burn Notice I would love to see a prequel about Michael Weston. Maybe that will happen too.

Comment by Rich M – February 1, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed, i have a sneaky suspicion that we may find out in this a small portion of what hasppened to michael Weston. Which may lead to another movie. I Hope.

Comment by Mark – February 1, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m betting on a cliffhanger at the end where Michael saves Sam’s life leading to another backstory movie. Lovin it.

Comment by TJ – February 1, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree too, I’d love to see all their backgrounds. These guys are great Michael, Fi and Sam Plez it dosen’t get better! I say let’s have MORE and MORE… I love this show!!!!!!!

Comment by Karen – February 3, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • um ya i don’t really care for a back story about Sam either, Unless they do a back story on Micheal when he was actually a spy and would love to see how he met up wit up Fiona and what she was up to wit a little back story on her as well…
        If they do 2 movies then i will b extremely happy about this movie as well…
        But I Can agree that having this TV-Movie is better than not having one at all & im sure i will enjoy it (Even if its not about the main character)!!!

Comment by Knobz2 – February 1, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wouldn’t like to see Fiona in a back story, well if she has that awful irish accent she tried to pull at the beginning of the show.

Comment by K4 – February 2, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Her American accent isn’t real. I liked Fiona’s Irish one. Either way she is my fave and I would like to see her in a prequel with michael

Comment by Rob – February 2, 2011 08:50 PM PDT
      • Chuck Finley strongly agrees

Comment by Chuck Finley – February 1, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also agree! After this production there should be back story on Michael, and in it as well the beginning of their relationship between Fiona and Michael back in Ireland too. Can hardly wait for this. As I and thousands of others agree BURN NOTICE is the best thing going these days on USA network or any other network for that matter.

Comment by Randall – February 2, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well then it would be a 2 hour episode with his voice over.

Comment by john – February 1, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We get the basic backstory on Michael in the series but we only hear that Sam is a friend who used to inform on Michael to the FBI. I think it’s great that they are giving us some background info on Sam. I’m excited to see it.

Comment by Chell – February 1, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what I thought. We get Michael’s backstory in little bits and pieces but I’m really looking forward to this prequel. We get so little Sam, and I want more Bruce Campbell!

Comment by sashay – February 1, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You don’t just hear that Sam was a friend who used to inform on Michael to the FBI, you see it. That actually took place on the show and we saw it. The backstory is his time in the Military.

Comment by Dave – February 1, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it should be about Michael too, at first, but the San story does sound good. Plus, Michael’s previous work was so undercover… I would like to see the story, but the ambiguity of it -since it’s all supposed to be really hush-hush anyway- is also ok with me… I think…

Comment by Sarah – February 1, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps there will be a prequel movie for all the characters. Think of this as a test run for Michael’s story. You know remove the bugs from the prototype

Comment by Andrew – February 1, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREE!

Comment by Charles Berlanga – February 2, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, and what about my 2nd favorite character – Miami? Why venture to Columbia?

Comment by NW IN THE NW – February 3, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The entire series has left the specifics of Michael’s past a mystery, including how he and Fiona met. It’s so ambiguous! I would love to see how Michael, Fiona, and Sam all knew each other before Miami. That would be an interesting story!

Comment by Diana – February 9, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, if you read past the story you see this:

This story originally appeared on Deadline.com.

Comment by TEABE – January 31, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I read the whole archived article and missed that trailing line. My eyes are failing me at the late hours!

Comment by SayWhat? – January 31, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE that they are exploring Sam’s back story. Sam is such a great, colorful character that it should be a fun movie. I can’t wait!

Comment by Luminosity – January 31, 2011 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely. Sam is awesome. I loved Bruce Campbell in the Army of Darkness movies.

Comment by Ccary – February 1, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam’s backstory could be interesting, but not as interesting as it could be if Fi is included. The script will lack something if she’s not part of the story.

Comment by Andrea – February 1, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They couldn’t include Fi in this because they did not know each other at this time, since it focuses around Sam’s military career.

Comment by Dee – February 1, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She probably would have been a little girl then.

Comment by sashay – February 1, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keile Sanchez also costars in the The Glades (A&E) with the delicious Matt Passmore.

Comment by Dianna – February 1, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about to say that, accept the delicious Matt Passmore part! Kiele is beyond hot… not a great actress, but I overlook that little flaw ;-)

This actually shows you the laziness of the person who wrote the article. She was in probably a total of 15 scenes during a half season of Lost… but that’s what the writer focused on??

Comment by John – February 1, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Keile Sanchez in The Glades. She seems so comfortable in her role that you don’t even think she’s acting.

Comment by Marty Dressler – February 1, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would think that if this is successful, more “prequels” (i.e. Fi’s past as well as Michael’s past) can be explored. I would be interested in the pasts of some of the villians. Perhaps Carla or Victor.

Comment by Allen – February 1, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything is better if Jesse isn’t in it. Sam’s background could be interesting if played right, but considering how watered down the show has become, making Fi ‘confused’ because Jesse kissed her for example, makes me a little concerned that the movie will be as weak as the show is becoming.

Comment by LaSal – February 1, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like that they changed the storyline a little the whole help ppl till some guy who want Michael to do something then it goes wrong thing wasgetting old.

Comment by davidrainwater – February 1, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am absolutely thrilled that Jeffrey Donovan and the Burn Notice writers recognize that Sam is a fantastic character and deserves a starring feature!
    Keep in mind, it’s not just that Sam is a great character, but it’s also the fact that Bruce Campbell is THE MAN.
    Thank you, everyone involved, for recognizing that.

Comment by Jennifer Stockert – February 1, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the show been watchn since it startd i just want to know when it will b back on

Comment by ray scroggins – February 1, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing how Fi and Michael met could be fascinating – their chemistry is wonderful, and what we’ve heard of their tangled history has been fascinating. I’m very glad the writing is showing the various relationships evolve: Jesse’s introduction was extremely effective.

It could also be fun to dive far into the character’s future – possible future. Imagine a moment where Michael is telling a bed-time story to his young daughter, like Antonio Banderas at the end of Zorro, and Fi comes in, a la Catherine Zeta-Jones ….

Comment by Bill – February 1, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to a Pre-Quel of Sam just watch “Army of Darkness” (1 & 2). Big BN fan but I would love to see a ‘simultaneous’ Pre-Quel of all 3 characters and how then Michael ended up with Fi and Sam informing to the Feds…

Comment by Chuck Stevens – February 1, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam was informing on Micheal to the feds in season 1, not before.

Comment by Everett – February 1, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the second post that has mentioned ‘Army of Darkness’ in the plural sense. Ccary posted ‘I loved Bruce Campbell in the Army of Darkness movies.’ Both posts make no sense. There is no Army of Darkness 2. And at Ccary, don’t you mean the Evil Dead movies, of which Army of Darkness was the third installment and, for now (but hopefully not forever) the final.

Comment by Drew – February 6, 2011 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanna know why Fi wasn’t mentioned!! Without Fi and Michael, I’m out.

Comment by Breanna – February 1, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait and would absolutely LOVE to see a prequel to Michael’s story also!

Comment by Kristie – February 1, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is Burn Notice with out Fiona?!?! I’d love to see the Sam story line but Chandra West cannot act!

Comment by kitai – February 1, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are rumors sam was going to be written off the show and jesse was just a replacementi personally like jesse a bit better than sam but i would miss his silly antics alot

Comment by scuba – February 1, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its great that they are doing a backstory. I’ll bet that if people are receptive to this one, the other characters’ backstories could follow. I see 3 (or 4) single character movies, and then one where we see how they each met.

It’s a a USA movie, and if you notice, Campbell is one of the executive producers.. haha of COURSE its going to be about Sam Ax!

Comment by toworreed2sleep – February 1, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe its just me but I have this sneaking suspicion that they aren’t doing a movie on Michael because…hmm…maybe they’d like to use the show for that?

I could be wrong though I’m sure…

Comment by Doug – February 1, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • good point.

Comment by toworreed2sleep – February 1, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those wanting Fiona’s backstory: If they did too much on her, it could end the series, as I suspect she is the key to the whole plot…

Comment by mbcoe – February 1, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you about Fiona’s backstory. Mystery and intrigue make her who she is.

Comment by chris – February 1, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AS USUAL HOLLYWOOD SCREWS UP AGAIN . HOW CAN U HAVE A BURN NOTICE MOVIE WITHOUT MICHAEL WESTON IN IT. ARE U KIDDIN ME. IT SHOULD BE ABOUT ALL 3 ( FI, MICHAEL, & SAM ) AND HOW THEY ALL CAME TO KNOW EACH OTHER AND GOT STARTED . THAT OPENS ALL KINDS OF STUFF THAT WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE EXPLORED AS FANS. DONT GET ME WRONG SAM IS A GOOD CHARACTER BUT GIVE US WHAT WE WANT TO SEE N BE SUCCESSFUL OR GIVE US WHAT U WANT N HAVE IT COME OFF AS A STRAIGHT TO VIDEO FAILURE. I FOR ONE AM NOT PAYING OVER TEN DOLLARS FOR A MOVIE JUST ABOUT SAM … ITS THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN THEM THAT MAKES THE SHOW . . . HOLLYWOOD JUMPS THE SHARK AGAIN …

Comment by steve – February 1, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you even read the artical? It’s not a Hollywood movie, it’s a tie in movie prequel that will air on TV USA Network. It’s not exactly a Burn Notice movie it’s a Sam Ax movie.

Comment by Andrew – February 1, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Steve, I know it may be hard to belive, but this will not be a “straight to video” movie. If you bothered to read the article it stated “The two-hour Burn Notice prequel movie is due to air on USA Network sometime this spring”.

Also the cap locks button is the one just below the tab button.

This is just a teaser, we do not know if it will have the other characters in it, or the full story. It should be interesting in any case.

Comment by Scott – February 1, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i believe us fans in the uk are missing out! i have seen 3 series.. is there more i have missed.. this movie on Sams past culd be great he is a great character! just be sure we can se it sometime soon!

Comment by just a uk fan – February 1, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somehow I got the impression that the 2001 season had already started a month or so ago. I could swear I saw a season opener. Now I read that the new season will open in Spring 2011. Has there any new show yet this year? Can’t figure how I went so wrong…

Comment by tom – February 1, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • talking about the 2011 season….

Comment by tom – February 1, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Burn Notice is a “half-season” show. It generally runs a handful of episodes in the early fall, and then comes back with another “season” between the spring and summer TV seasons. In a way, it’s better like that – no other major network shows to compete for the best time slots.

Comment by Sharon – February 1, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with a lot of you on here about them not doing a prequel on Michael because they probably want to use that for the show.. however another reason may be that spies are supposed to have “secret lives”… we aren’t supposed to know anything about when he was a spy or how he came to be a spy, for that matter. It would give too much away. As far as a prequel as to how the trio met….I totally agree…That would make a GREAT prequel. Especially since we already know how they came to “work” together. As far as a couple ppl asking when will the show be back on..I keep an eye on the USA website for as much information as much information as I can get.

Comment by m – February 1, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much as I love Sam Axe, I want a prequel movie showing how Michael and Fiona met up!!

Comment by Shoshanah – February 1, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really excited until i saw that the movie is focussing only on Sam…although I love Sam’s character…I would love to see a backstory on Michael and Fi as well…maybe someday ;)

Comment by tracyrenae – February 1, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting: I think a dark movie of weston in Ireland would have made a harder story. Let’s see. hope there are some serioisly good writers on this and not candy floss, satisfy the cheap demographic. If funny get Simon pegg to write.

Comment by smeg head – February 1, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to work on developing Sam Axe’s backside. tee hee. Although it looks pretty fine to me now.

seriously love the character and can’t wait for the movie.

Comment by chris – February 1, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will there a prequel on how Michael and Fiona hooked up in Ireland?

Comment by Ray – February 1, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are these so-called blonds necessary?

Comment by Lisa – February 1, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this idea! I started watching Burn Notice because Bruce Campbell was in it. I think they will do a tie in with Michael and leave room for another background movie.

Comment by Maggie – February 1, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cant wait to see the movie just hate its gonna take till summer till the show comes back on which sucks i hate waiting

Comment by matt – February 1, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam’s good but he’s no Chuck Finley!

Comment by mark – February 1, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where is fionas story? I love me some fiona

Comment by Jason – February 1, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i watch burn notice coz michael, sam n fi made a good team n the way thy wrk, man its damn itrsting n hats off. if any1 of thm will b missing thn it will only make the taste less spicy.

Comment by friend – February 1, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the words of Fiona, “can’t wait”. A Michael/Fiona story should be next. Michael was able to tell Samantha, goodbye but could never say it to Fiona. He just left without a word. Even if they never make a movie, have a flashback to let the fans know how strong “no fun” Michael realized he was in love but whatever you do, DO GET TOO MUSHY! There’s enough soft porn on tv. What I love about Michael and Fiona is they are in love, not lust. Can’t wait. Come on Summer!

Comment by Rose – February 1, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A prequel without Michael is not a prequel. Michael is the reason we watch the show. Michael is the main character, Sam is an added attraction so doing a prequel on him is not doing the show any favors, unless Michael and Fiona are brought in will just be another show without merit.

Comment by Michael R. – February 1, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally excited!! I love Sam and I’d love to see some of his history.

Comment by Melody – February 1, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the idea of a Sam movie but agree that Michael should appear somewhere. I would love more a Michael movie. Also since Sam, Fi and Michael have all met previously to the series (see fi’s reaction in episode 1 to Sam) there is room for a back story with all. Would particularly love a pre-series Michael story either with FI, Sam, before military or in the 15 years that he was in covert ops.

Dont know where they can really go now with the story, apparently the next 2 seasons will have alot of pre-series stuff in it though which should be interesting. A bit curious as to how they will un-age the actors in a way that will not look fake.

Comment by Maya – February 2, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm, if this takes place in 2005, how does anyone figure Campbell is playing a character half his age and that First would be a little girl? Just saying.

Comment by Bob – February 2, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm, if this takes place in 2005, how does anyone figure Campbell is playing a character half his age and that Fi would be a little girl? Just saying.

Comment by Bob – February 2, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bruce and Gabrielle are over 40 years…the story taking place in 2005 is only 6 years ago. Thats no where no near half their age.

Comment by Burn Notice Fanatic – February 11, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! Love anything Burn Notice! Love all the main characters so happy to see anything extra. Love to see more prequels!

Comment by Tammy – February 2, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smart.

Comment by Suncatcher – February 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, I thought Sam was a former FBI? What is he doing as a military operative? This storyline doesn’t make sense.

Comment by Jettboy – February 2, 2011 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Jettboy, your wrong about Sam’s past. He was not former FBI he was a former Team 2 Navy Seal.

Comment by Randall – February 2, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow,hope the back story could be out-is it?

Comment by Imani natse faithful – February 3, 2011 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what’s the story with the Blondes? I know, men go GAGA over Blondes, but Brunettes are REAL and smarter! specially in Colombia, the blondes are Spaniards descendants, and you will never see them mingle with the ‘common people’ usually involved with ‘terrorists’, ‘cartel’, or other dubious groups…

Comment by Joseph Banegas – February 8, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post