Derek Hough Skipping Upcoming DWTS Season: Will You Miss the Judges' Pet?

In a move that will reduce the show’s exposed-torso quotient by at least 25 percent, Derek Hough announced today that he’ll sit out the upcoming twelfth season of Dancing With the Stars as he pursues other projects, including the feature film Cobu 3D. “We wish Derek the best as he takes time off from Dancing with the Stars to pursue his film career and look forward to having him return to the show in the fall,” DWTS executive producer Conrad Green tells TVLine.com.

Now, the question arises: Which DWTS pro is likeliest to inherit the lion’s share of gratuitous praise from the judges’ panel?

Okay, okay…I recognize Derek is the most talented choreographer in the DWTS stable. His dazzling moves — remember the futuristic paso doble?! — made me a hardcore fan of “model” Joanna Krupa, a woman whom I’d otherwise have been as likely to vote for as my local Walgreens cashier. But still, even Derek’s biggest fans have to admit that occasionally, it feels like Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno might as well stamp their ’10’ paddles with the message “property of D. Hough.”

But I digress. The more important question at hand is this: Will you miss Derek’s presence in season 12? Or will you be glad to have him out of the way for a season, the better to balance the playing field for the remaining pros and their celeb partners? Sound off in the comments. And for all my reality TV coverage, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. sonja says:

Won’t miss him one bit. I wish he’d take Mark and Corky with him!

• Paul says:

Agree 100%, Sonja!

• Tony D says:

I also agree… Now it’ll be more fair because he wont be gettting the ptential ringer of the cast… I hope that they don’t bequeath that to Mark “I so am in love with me” Ballas…

• pete says:

totally agree with you, enough already, of the pretty boy favorite

• Cheryl says:

I will miss Derek like I have his Sister Julianne. They are both the most amazing dancers and choreographers the show has. Derek has problems relaxing when he is not dancing, but I have seen some improvement. It seems obvious that the judges should appreciate him, he is so clearly the best at what he does. I hope he will be back with his Sister next Fall. I’m not sure I will follow the show without them.

• Nita Palmer says:

The show will not be the same without Derek. I have already lost interest in the show after finding out he would not be there. He is “THE VERY BEST”.

• Ellen says:

I think Derek is the BEST dancer EVER TO BE ON DWTS. HE OUTSHINES EVERYONE WITH HIS GLORIOUS DANCING. HERE IT IS SEASON 12 and since he’s not on the show, I have no interest in watching it at all. HE BRINGS EVERYTHING, BUT EVERYTHING, TO DWTS. IF HE’S NOT BACK IN THE FALL, NO MORE DWTS FOR ME AND THAT INCLUDED THIS 12th SEASON TOO.

• Cindy says:

I agree! DWTS will not be the same without him! Just like it is not been the same with Julieanne! They are both amazingly talented!

• Barbara says:

Are you kidding? Derek is by far the most talented of all the pros and by far the sexiest and yes I will miss him he is cute, adorable and an excellant dancer and teacher as well as choreographer. I wish him and his sister were on this season.

• "Q" says:

I will miss Derek very much. One of the reasons I watch the show was to see him and his sister when she was on. They are fantastic!!! I will watch the first episode and go from there. Last year I only watch part of the season had to stop. The voting was ridiculous!!!!

• Sherry says:

I miss Derek so much. he is by far the best dancer and choreographer. He has been in the top EVERY time he dances because he deserves it. Come back soon Derek!

2. Cathy says:

THANK GOD!!! CAN’T STAND HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. JEF says:

He’s very talented but also seems to get the better contestants. Never a Cloris or Florence in the bunch!

• bean99 says:

I so agree, JEF. I lost interest in the show when it became clear that he was the golden child of the show/judges. He always got anywhere from decent to excellent dancers as his partners. Yes he’s a wonderful choreographer but give him someone who provides a real challenge. I’m happy to see him go and may watch next season.

4. Jenny says:

Heck No!!! Sorry I just don’t think he is as fantastic as the judges make him out to be. He is also so annoying during the interviews and stuff. Won’t miss him at all.

5. Ryan says:

Nope! Won’t miss him, I actually stopped caring about the show because I was so sick of him and how the judges treated him as the golden boy. Now, if they would trade him with his sister… That would be heaven!

6. Bonnie says:

I’ll miss him, but it’ll be nice to actually give the rest of the group a chance to show what they can really do. It almost seems like they kind of give up really trying by the 3rd week when Derek is getting all the accolades and they seem like the middle children begging for attention. We’ll see.

7. cristah says:

One season? Yeah, right. His sister said the same thing. I like him because he is – without a doubt – the best choreographer. But I’m tired of him.

8. Mandee says:

His Personality was grating these past two seasons (not to mention the fact that he was always paired with the sure win) however he’s still my favorite choreographer. The dances he creates are unreal. Futuristic paso and fifties paso are y favorites!!! I will miss him and hope he comes back for the following season.

9. Crittle says:

Heck no!

10. Allison P says:

I love Derek, but I’m extremely glad to hear he won’t be on the next season. He has always gotten good partners, gone far in competition with them all, and won more than enough times. It’s time to give one of the older pros win!

11. godzilla_foil says:

BWAHAHAHA!! gsp… I mean… sorry… BWAAHAHAHHA that picture! Is that, huh, person real?? eeheeheehee

12. Susan says:

You must be watching a different show than me – Derek is always the most covered up male. Maks and Tony are the ones who like to remove clothing.

As for your main question – I think most of your commenters won’t realize what he brought to the show until he’s gone. Hell yes, I’ll miss him. I may not watch without him.

13. Carlito says:

I will miss Derek – he is so gorgeous not to mention the best choreographer. I hope he comes back

14. Trixee says:

This is sad news in my book. I think Derek has gotten his ego under control in the past couple of seasons, and I always appreciate his creativity and ability to get the most out of his partners. His dances are simply the most fun to watch.

Heck — I still miss Julianne, who first raised the bar for performance on DWTS. Holding out how that maybe she’ll come back someday too??

15. Jill says:

Hope this means Dmitry’s in

16. Jim says:

He’s a talented man whose choreography is creative and fun to watch, but I have always been partial to other pros. Perhaps Dmitry or Jonathan will be back, and hopefully Mark and Tony are staying. But for the love of all that us righteous and holy, Derek, please take the show’s “vocalists” with you.

17. Jon says:

I agree, bring back Dimitry!

• frances says:

Oh please don’t bring back dimitry. He did a horrible job at choreographing Mya’s freestyle. And lets face it thats the dance that determines the winner!

18. raymondj says:

Damn, there are some haterade drinkers in this thread. Derek is a goofball off the dancefloor, but he always brings the brightest brilliance on it, which I think pushes the other pro dancers too. On the other hand, fresh blood can be good – if nothing else, to make us appreciate him more.

• Debbie says:

Finally! a post i agree with 100% Derek made the others bring their A game coz they know he would always bring his. He is an ABSOLUTE goof (the song with Nicole, the skit with Joanna…all his behind the scenes footage…anybody?) I’ll miss him this season…a lot!!! in fact i wish he’d come and do a finale performance or something. However, fresh blood is good and I’d like to see how this season goes even though it might feel a bit blah without him, it should still be fun-i hope>

19. Ally says:

As long as Maks is on the show, I’ll be happy.

20. Sabrina says:

How “great” would he be if not given a celebrity already capable of choreography? Like to see him paired up with Bristol Palin and see how her fairs then! Really he is just too smug for my tastes, hate the fawning over him and something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

21. miles silverberg says:

He’s the only pro/choreographer whose work I get excited about. He keeps winning because he’s the best at showcasing his partners. Yes, he does need a celebri-dud one of these seasons just to make the other pros feel better, but why hide the brightest light in your sky?

My fear is that Maks won’t be back either, and Mark will try to take over like the floor-whore he is. Why can’t he go on tour or something?

On the bright side, Tony, Louis, Dmitry and Damien may get a chance to really compete. Just please, please don’t bring Corky back. Why can’t he join his son’s band and follow him on tour?

• frances says:

I totally agree with you Miles he’s the best choreographer on the show. Season 12 won’t be the same without him. Its going to be a long 8 months without him. God I really hope maks isnt coming back hes soooo damn annoying!

22. Al says:

Thank goodness we get a Derek break!

23. maria says:

I will miss Derek very much. I agree that he was due to be paired with a clunker for an early exit. Fair is fair. But not see him at all – I think that’s a tremendous loss for DWTS.

24. nicole says:

No Derek???? I’m not sure I will even watch this season. Derek has long been in a class of his own – not only with his dancing, but also in the choreography & teaching of his partner. This is a huge loss for DWTS.

25. Margaret says:

I love Derek and he makes the show for me – he always brings something new to the show and his levity is always welcome. In his absence please bring back Dmitry.

26. Slezak's Sister says:

I love Derek – he is fun, a great dancer and brings out the best in his partners. I will miss him greatly and hope he does come back next season. The show will go on but I think his absence will be quite noticable.

27. AT says:

I don’t have anything against Derek. I’m not sure where all the hatred comes from. He’s clearly talented. That said, as subjective as it is, I don’t think Derek is the most talented choreographer. He relies too much on grinding and sex appeal at times. For sure, he can choreograph some great pieces. But he can also choreograph some weaker ones. Personally, I think Dmitri is the most talented of the choreographers. Because Dmitri isn’t always “strictly ballroom” he can get judged harshly by the judges. But, most of the time, I find myself most interested in his routines because he thinks outside the box. And has anyone else seen some of the routines he choreographed on SYTYCD? WOW.

28. Samantha says:

I will miss Derek. Although I have to admit I didn’t watch last season of DWTS one bit, I watched the four seasons before that religiously. I even met Derek at one of the BHB (his former band with Mark Ballas) concerts at The Grove last year. He is an incredible choreographer, that is obvious. I enjoy watching his routines as much as I enjoy watching him. Although cocky at times, he has so much personality and it is fun to watch.. and he isn’t all that bad to look at either ;) I will miss Derek, but he’ll be back! Hopefully! (Julianne kept saying she’d come back but that never happened!)

29. blizzard bound says:

he’s an incredible dancer.

how are the partners chosen/assigned anyway? do they pick from a hat? do the producers decide? are partners matched based on height and age?

i’d be curious to know if someone out there knows the answer…..

• Debbie says:

I’ve heard that it’s a couple of things, availability of course, height, age, personality, viewer following, and of course there’s bound to be some politics but there is one thing that it is not and that is “random”.

30. Corky says:

Not sure it is worth watching without Derek Hough. He is such a strong talent.

31. Susan Ringler says:

The show will drop 10 notches immediately without the talent of Derek. He is amazing and I can’t believe you people don’t see that. I am so disappointed. The other men are talented, too, but Derek is head and shoulder above them. I am so bummed. What a drag!!!!

32. becky says:

I think he is the most talented of the dancers!!!! I will find it hard to follow the show this season. However, I cannot stand Max, and I think it serves him right to end up with Kirstie Alley. Maybe making fun of them kill each other will console me during this season……lol

33. Judy says:

Derek is the best, and most talented on the show. I will miss him,and won’t watch the show much, don’t care for Kristie Alley, and many of the others don’t look that great either,so it won’t be on my list to watch.

34. Sheila says:

Heck ya I will miss him. I think he is one of the most talented and he is soooo sexy. He’s part of the reason I watch. I love him.

35. MM says:

Last night’s show was boring without Derek. I will probably
    watch another show instead of DWTS. Maybe if Derek did not
    compete but came out and danced each week with one of the other
    female constants it would create some interest. Just make it
    a “special event” each week. I always watched DWTS just to
    see Derek and Julieanne.

36. EM says:

Not missed one bit – Derek is so gay!