Idoloonies: Randy Gets Nasty, New Favorites Emerge, and the Pimping Begins on Idol

It’s only week two of American Idol‘s tenth season, but the show’s producers are already commissioning full symphonies and setting off fireworks displays to alert us to their personal favorite contestants. That’s okay, though, because Idol without viewer outrage/irritation/consternation would only be half the fun. And anyway, it’s not as if the Milwaukee and Nashville audition episodes weren’t filled to the rim with talented Golden Ticket recipients, right?

This week’s Idoloonies panel — three fabulous readers, plus yours truly — dish the best and worst Week Two wannabes, debate whether or not the judges are being too lenient, tackle Randy Jackson’s nasty new vibe, and discuss the producers’ treatment of “pimp slot” contestants Chris Medina and Lauren Alaina. Press play below (on both halves of our two-part episode), then head down to the comments to tell us what you think. And for all my Idol news and opinions, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Loading video...
Loading video...

p.s. If you want to cohost an upcoming Idoloonies episode, shoot an email to idoloonies@tvline.com at the end of this week’s Thursday night Idol telecast, and share your opinions, observations, and conspiracy theories (as well as a contact phone number). We tape Friday afternoons (eastern time) using Skype or iChat video, and we appreciate your ideas and enthusiasm. Thanks!

1. melissa says:

Haha I love the Kick-Ass clips!

2. Sydencia Jackson! says:

Damn michael! Im sitting in my cubicle working overtime and laughing my ass off!

You are charming as always and the new kid from Houston with ya is a close second! Sooooo fuuuunnny about the iraq!

3. JL says:

So happy to have Idoloonies – I totally agree about the guy with the hat…can’t remember his name. No, no, no

Michael — what’s up with the orange tall paper mache-type dog in your background? We’re mildly alarmed.

4. CeeCee says:

I realize this is probably improbable/impossible… but get Kristen Baldwin to guest-host! I miss her so badly it hurts :(

5. Grace W. says:

Does Stephen Tyler’s behavior here remind anyone else of Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? Crazy hair, strange jerky motions, occasionally saying things that don’t make sense…

6. Sarah says:

Hi. I would really like to watch this but the video isn’t loading. Is there something wrong with the site?

• JBanana says:

I can’t watch it either. It is saying “video not found or access denied.”

I was able to watch them last week.

7. Jeremy says:

Ummm… can you still call it a “statistic” if it’s completely incorrect? I just did a brief wikipedia search and there were way more than 3 current songs performed during last season. From week 1 of the finals (top 12) to the season finale (top 2) I counted 19 songs performed that were released since 1995. Twelve of these were released since 2000, and 7 were released since 2005. This is all in spite of the fact that 4 of the 11 theme weeks essentially didn’t allow for any current songs (Rolling Stones, Lennon/McCartney, Elvis, Sinatra). On Shania Twain night alone all 6 songs performed were released since 1995. (Accuracy of all info above is subject to the reliability of wiki entries.)

Wonky fact-checking aside, I’m loving the new show! I do kinda miss the other staffers weighing in with their 2 cents (especially Kristen and Annie), but the power of the 1-2 punch that is Slezak and Averett is pretty undeniable! Your show was the only reason I actually made it to the end of season 9. Keep up the good work guys!

• James Segal says:

1. Big Girls Don’t Cry (week 2)
      2. Forever (week 3)
      3. Falling slowly

Excepting Shania week, they were right I think.

• Jeremy says:

8. Hero (2002) – week 6
        9. Falling Slowly (2006) – week 9
        10. OK, It’s Alright With Me (2008) – week 10
        11. Daughters (2004) – week 10
        12. Up to the Mountain (2006) – week 11
        13. Beautiful Day (2000) – week 11

I actually missed these the first time through, but they’re on the cusp anyway:
        14. Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman? (1995) – week 9
        15. Kiss From a Rose (U.K. release 1994, U.S. release 1995) – week 9

8. Suncatcher says:

Slezak! You DEFINE what a web show should be like! Great finding you after transitioning to TVline. This week’s Idoloonies was the best ever!

AI has new life due to Steven Tyler & JLo. But Randy acts like he’s taken over Simon’s job of being Cruella this year. Maybe he’ll catch on to the “new” feel of AI…

AI S10 is the BEST! Best candidates in a long time. The best part of S9 was “Pants on the Ground.” I tuned elsewhere. But, like you, I’m back!

Keep it coming, Michael. You’re a treat!

9. Jonathan says:

IDOLOONIES FACT CHECK! I’m not sure how Ali Fazal does his math, but there were in fact a total of SEVENTEEN songs from the past 15 years performed during the finals last year, not three (and that’s if we count back from 2011 rather than 2010). According to no less a source than the mighty Wikipedia (ahem), they were:

Top 11:
    Aaron Kelly “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” (Aerosmith) — 1998
    Katie Stevens “Big Girls Don’t Cry” (Fergie) — 2007

Top 10:
    Michael Lynche “Ready for Love” (India.Arie) — 2001
    Andrew Garcia “Forever” (Chris Brown) — 2008

Top 7:
    Tim Urban “Better Days” (Goo Goo Dolls) — 2005
    Aaron Kelly “I Believe I Can Fly” (R. Kelly) — 1996
    Siobhan Magnus “When You Believe” (Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston) — 1998
    Michael Lynche “Hero” (Chad Kroeger feat. Josey Scott) — 2002

Top 6 (all Shania Twain songs, all but one released in 1996 or later, so five total)

Top 4:
    Crystal Bowersox & Lee DeWyze “Falling Slowly” (Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová) — 2006

Top 3:
    Casey James “OK, It’s Alright with Me” (Eric Hutchinson) — 2008
    Casey James “Daughters” (John Mayer) — 2004

Finale:
    Lee DeWyze “Beautiful Day” (U2) — 2000

That said, I would tend to agree with ktwolf and Snsetblaze about the quality of today’s pop hits, but I’m a curmudgeon and therefore not the target demographic.

Can I also add that Mr. Seacrest needs to stop referring to the current President of the United States as “Barack?” His name is Obama. Presidential nicknames (Shrub, Dubya, Slick Willie, The Gipper) are occasionally acceptable, but no one calls the POTUS by their first name. C’mon, Ryan, you’re a highly paid, experienced, professional TALKER. That’s your job. Get it right.

10. Jonathan says:

Oops, looks like I was late to the show. Sorry, Jeremy. Also count me among those that are glad to have Slezak on the job! Now is there any way you can lure Kristen Baldwin over?

11. Jonny says:

Honestly, I could skip Idol the show and go straight to your recaps. I’m so glad you’re continuing these videos. And Ali Fazal? Bring him back often. The dude is hilarious! I love that he brings a comic book geek type of sensibility to Idol. Great family fun! :-)

12. WI Girl says:

I think that Ali Fazal should be your weekly co-host! I think that he adds really good insight to Idoloonies! :)

13. Paul says:

It’s far time that they get Melinda Doolittle back on that stage to sing during a results show! Great great voice!

If I had to pick a favorite from Nashville, it’d be Adrienne. Really nice smoky tone, didn’t oversing, really great audition.

As far as from Milwaukee, I did like that baritone Scott McCreery (we haven’t really had many deep voices on Idol before!) and Molly– and that footage of Randy punching her was priceless!

14. James Segal says:

This Ali Fazal kid has a future in the business of entertaining me through my computer monitor! Bring him back soon!

15. Kelsey says:

Ali should be on every week!! What a hilarious guy!!

16. asinmada says:

Yay! You do have Jason with you….. Now go get Kristen (and Kristen w/glasses). And get rid of your background and we’re there!!!
    Love you Michael!!!! (and Jason and Kristen)

17. gitr says:

this player is suckish :/
    can you get a better one? :)

18. Antonio says:

OMG, LOVING the Hailee Steinfeld bits. Also, does anyone else laugh at all the “package” references?