SAG Awards Honor Modern Family, Boardwalk Empire and Betty White!

HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and ABC’s Modern Family took top honors at tonight’s 17th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, winning best TV drama and comedy ensemble respectively.

Empire leading man Steve Buscemi was honored for individual achievement by a male actor in a drama, while The Good Wife‘s Julianna Margulies triumphed in the dramatic actress category. In her acceptance speech, Margulies thanked Wife creators Robert and Michelle King for giving her “the role of a lifetime.”

On the comedy side, Alec Baldwin picked up his fifth consecutive (egads!) best actor trophy for 30 Rock, and in the night’s biggest surprise, indefatigable octogenarian Betty White won best actress for Hot In Cleveland, beating out Glee‘s Jane Lynch, 30 Rock‘s Tina Fey, Nurse Jackie‘s Edie Falco and Modern Family‘s Sofia Vergara.

1. Kiki says:

It should have been The Good Wife over Boardwalk Empire, imo.

2. Moviefan2 says:

Finally a win for Modern Family

3. Jessica says:

Perhaps now Boardwalk Empire will begin getting the respect it deserves. It’s a quieter, more cerebral show that people keep thinking is a show about gangsters. It’s full of superlative acting across the boards, and for me, Sunday nights are absolutely dreary without it. Enough already about Steve Buscemi not being a leading man. Anyone who saw “Ghost World” already knew he was a stellar leading man.

4. Hope says:

Boardwalk is one of the best dramas on TV. It earned that award and many others (including the one Kelly MacDonald got snubbed for at the Golden Globes).

5. amy says:

Although I suspect the win was because she’s hot right now, Betty White really is the most talented actress in that category — one of the best comic actresses who’s ever been on TV.

6. Cathy says:

I was bummed thinking that I missed Ausiello commenting on the SAG awards as they were on. I wish he had done that for the SAG awards as he did for the Golden Globes, I really enjoyed it.

7. Shuayb says:

Well I’m glad modern family got an award. Would have been better if the guy who played cameron in modern family got the male comedian award. He’s hillarious in it. Alec baldwin has had his share. I really do not know what is so great about 30 Rock. The comedy is so blah! Sofia should’ve won for modern family. I never would’ve thought she could be so great! All in all better than the stupid emmy’s and golden globes.

8. Ann says:

Does anyone know why they don’t recognize TV supporting roles? I know they do ensemble which I like, but kinda sucks that they single out the leads and lump everyone else together.

9. Ingmar says:

So happy for Julianne! She deserves it so much. Would have liked to see to get TGW best drama aswell ; but it seems like HBO shows + Mad Men always win the prices, while TGW is just as good, if not better imo. Even The Closer is better than Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire ( and yes, I have seen it ).

10. Linda says:

Betty White won? Seriously? Why?
    And why wasn’t Amy Poehler nominated? She’s much funnier than any gal in her category! Nurse Jackie isn’t even a comedy!
    Give Amy Poehler the award, Betty!

11. Trew says:

I don’t get why Boardwalk won. It’s not a bad show, but it’s predictable and not great. But Modern Family is all kinds of awesome, so I’m glad it won.

12. Berenice says:

and, hugh laurie????why loose????????????????i love him

13. Amy says:

I turned off the TV after Alec Baldwin won. Why watch the same old same old. Golden Globes was a better. I was only watching the SAG awards to hear Chris Colfer give another speech. Alec was a major turn off …. so that’s what I did. Turned it off.

14. Joyce the 55 year old Glee fan says:

Agreed. Colfer should have won. He brings a level of depth to Glee that I haven’t seen in a long, long time. Truly unique. The best comedies are a mixture of laughs and tears. That’s true now just as it was in the past. There’s a lot of “Twelfth Night” humor in Glee with sexual role reversals. I love it.

15. Michael says:

Bitter much? If your opinion of acting meant more than squat, I imagine that you’d have better things to do with your time. Get over yourself.