SAG Awards Honor Modern Family, Boardwalk Empire and Betty White!

Get More: Awards

HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and ABC’s Modern Family took top honors at tonight’s 17th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, winning best TV drama and comedy ensemble respectively.

Empire leading man Steve Buscemi was honored for individual achievement by a male actor in a drama, while The Good Wife‘s Julianna Margulies triumphed in the dramatic actress category. In her acceptance speech, Margulies thanked Wife creators Robert and Michelle King for giving her “the role of a lifetime.”

On the comedy side, Alec Baldwin picked up his fifth consecutive (egads!) best actor trophy for 30 Rock, and in the night’s biggest surprise, indefatigable octogenarian Betty White won best actress for Hot In Cleveland, beating out Glee‘s Jane Lynch, 30 Rock‘s Tina Fey, Nurse Jackie‘s Edie Falco and Modern Family‘s Sofia Vergara.

Comments (22)

• It should have been The Good Wife over Boardwalk Empire, imo.

Comment by Kiki – January 30, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Shane S. – January 30, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed.

Comment by Anna – January 30, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good Wife for sure, until they admit a Dramedy category should be developed….

Comment by Brock – January 30, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally a win for Modern Family

Comment by Moviefan2 – January 30, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Finally”…? They got the Emmy in August.

Comment by rc75 – January 30, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah i gotta agree with rc75. I mean, they deserve it 100 percent and I love the show, but they’re definitely not underrated.

Comment by Jeanne – January 30, 2011 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps now Boardwalk Empire will begin getting the respect it deserves. It’s a quieter, more cerebral show that people keep thinking is a show about gangsters. It’s full of superlative acting across the boards, and for me, Sunday nights are absolutely dreary without it. Enough already about Steve Buscemi not being a leading man. Anyone who saw “Ghost World” already knew he was a stellar leading man.

Comment by Jessica – January 30, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk is one of the best dramas on TV. It earned that award and many others (including the one Kelly MacDonald got snubbed for at the Golden Globes).

Comment by Hope – January 30, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I suspect the win was because she’s hot right now, Betty White really is the most talented actress in that category — one of the best comic actresses who’s ever been on TV.

Comment by amy – January 30, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was bummed thinking that I missed Ausiello commenting on the SAG awards as they were on. I wish he had done that for the SAG awards as he did for the Golden Globes, I really enjoyed it.

Comment by Cathy – January 30, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m glad modern family got an award. Would have been better if the guy who played cameron in modern family got the male comedian award. He’s hillarious in it. Alec baldwin has had his share. I really do not know what is so great about 30 Rock. The comedy is so blah! Sofia should’ve won for modern family. I never would’ve thought she could be so great! All in all better than the stupid emmy’s and golden globes.

Comment by Shuayb – January 30, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree, Ty Burrell from Modern Family should have won!!!

Comment by Rita – January 30, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t like 30 Rock humor. I do. What’s to understand? We like different things.

That said, I would have liked to have seen ty win.

Comment by Michael – January 31, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know why they don’t recognize TV supporting roles? I know they do ensemble which I like, but kinda sucks that they single out the leads and lump everyone else together.

Comment by Ann – January 30, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Julianne! She deserves it so much. Would have liked to see to get TGW best drama aswell ; but it seems like HBO shows + Mad Men always win the prices, while TGW is just as good, if not better imo. Even The Closer is better than Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire ( and yes, I have seen it ).

Comment by Ingmar – January 30, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Betty White won? Seriously? Why?
    And why wasn’t Amy Poehler nominated? She’s much funnier than any gal in her category! Nurse Jackie isn’t even a comedy!
    Give Amy Poehler the award, Betty!

Comment by Linda – January 31, 2011 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why Boardwalk won. It’s not a bad show, but it’s predictable and not great. But Modern Family is all kinds of awesome, so I’m glad it won.

Comment by Trew – January 31, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and, hugh laurie????why loose????????????????i love him

Comment by Berenice – January 31, 2011 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I turned off the TV after Alec Baldwin won. Why watch the same old same old. Golden Globes was a better. I was only watching the SAG awards to hear Chris Colfer give another speech. Alec was a major turn off …. so that’s what I did. Turned it off.

Comment by Amy – January 31, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed. Colfer should have won. He brings a level of depth to Glee that I haven’t seen in a long, long time. Truly unique. The best comedies are a mixture of laughs and tears. That’s true now just as it was in the past. There’s a lot of “Twelfth Night” humor in Glee with sexual role reversals. I love it.

Comment by Joyce the 55 year old Glee fan – January 31, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bitter much? If your opinion of acting meant more than squat, I imagine that you’d have better things to do with your time. Get over yourself.

Comment by Michael – January 31, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post