Fringe Repeats As Friday Ratings Champ

Fox’s Fringe remains alive and well in its “Friday death slot,” topping the night for a second straight week in the coveted 18-49 demo, with a 1.9 rating.

Fringe shared the No. 1 demos honor with the 10 o’clock helping of Dateline NBC, which also won its time period in total viewers (netting 7.74 million).

With The CW bumping Smallville and Supernatural in favor of Vampire Diaries/Nikita encores, the only fresh fare Fringe faced was the first hour of Dateline (1.6 rating) and ABC’s Primetime: What Would You Do? (1.3).

Speaking of the TVD and Nikita repeats, they added 1.3 million and 1 million viewers to their Thursday tallies, respectively.

A repeat of CSI: NY was the night’s most watched program, copping 8.2 million total viewers.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. jess says:

i guess the CW is majorly kicking themselves now

• AJ says:

It really doesn’t matter. It isn’t like there’s going to be one less episode of SV and SN. It just means one less repeat later on in the season.

2. Sam says:

Yeah, oh my God. What a disaster for CW. They didn’t even have to pull their Friday lineup to help their Thursday shows, since the Thursday shows did OK against American Idol.

3. amy says:

I hope the show’s strength on Friday’s is enough to convince Fox to get us a fourth season of “Fringe.”

4. cody says:

Thank the TV Gods!!!!! FRINGE IS (HOPEFULLY) HERE TO STAY!!!!!!

5. Sarah says:

Go Fringe, I knew you could do it!

6. Matt says:

Yeah! Fringe! It’s my favorite show. I’m glad its holding its own. please renew for many seasons Fox!

7. Buborek says:

I love Fringe and this season is very good..; It’s better and better and better! Go Fringe!!

8. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I highly doubt the numbers for TVD and Nikkit are “new fans” not with the explosion on twitter after they premiered.

The CW is run by idiots.

9. em says:

Such a good episode yesterday! Fox HAS TO renew Fringe.

10. Mikaylah says:

I hope Fringe gets a fourth season now! I’m not going to be able to relax about it until they announce it officially.

11. Kiddoo says:

Way to go Fringe! Hopefully it’ll hold up in the coming weeks against ‘new’ fare. It’s fans are very loyal so I’m crossing my fingers. Go Fringe!

12. Nalex says:

We knew Fringe could do it. It’s such a great show

13. Marc says:

Why are people acting like Fringe achieved some major accomplishment? It held its ratings against no new competition, just an hour of Dateline… celebrate when/if it keeps all its ratings against a new Supernatural next week people! I do think there are enough viewers to go around though.

BTW, I’d like to know how much of TVD/Nikita’s ratings came from the Chicago and Baltimore markets since pre-emptions in those areas is supposedly what led CW to doing the encore of these episodes. Of course we’ll never get that info and CW will never admit that it made a mistake… bunch of jerks.

• Week by week.... says:

Because when you are on the bubble- every week counts. When you’ve had as little good news as Fringe fans have, you take what you can get. Why Supernatural fans feel the need to constantly be negative on every “Fringe is hanging on” story, I don’t know. But it makes you guys look really petty and mean.

• Shannon says:

Supernatural fans are deluded and full of themselves. No reality check will make them realize they’re the only (small bunch) ones who care about their 2 million viewers show. Fringe has twice more viewers and won’t be affected by this little show.

• raelee514 says:

Don’t speak in generalities, not all SPN think that way. In fact a good large portion of them are also Fringe fans. Like me.

14. Dahne says:

I went to comments to ask if any of these numbers could be people who thought they were DVR-ing Smallville and Supernatural but ended up inadvertently getting VD and Nikita. Would this result in higher-skewing numbers than actually watched the episodes?

However, I ended up laughing at your comment rules. Nicely done from one SPN fan who could use a good laugh.

15. alice says:

As I was watching last night’s episode again, I couldn’t help but notice- does anyone else think that the Massive Dynamic scientist, the one administering the polygraphs and showing Nina the books, looks like a slightly heavier version of Ausiello?

• John says:

Wow…yes, I totally see that. Ausiello, you need to cameo as his little brother! Once you’re done on Cougar Town, of course.

16. Marc says:

Week by week, I am not trying to be petty and/or mean, I said that I think there are enough viewers for both shows to survive… I’m not sure how that makes “us guys” (apparently I speak for all Supernatural fans now?) petty and mean. I was asking an honest question, I didn’t realize the hardships Fringe has been having because I don’t watch the show. Maybe you need to be a bit less sensitive?

17. Jen says:

Yay! This is such good news. It’s so great to see a good show come out on top, once in a while.

Fringe has a terrific cast, especially Anna Torv, John Noble and Joshua Jackson. It has great cinematography, the concept is wonderfully complex, and the scripts are getting better and better. I’m just hoping it will be rewarded for its virtues.

18. Dan says:

Holding the episodes of Smallville and Supernatural back a week kind of makes sense. Nikita and TVD faced Idol for the first time and airing them on Friday gave viewers an extra shot to see the midseason premiere, in case you missed it. Apparently both shows got preempted in Chicago and Baltimore on Thursday as well, so the ratings were going to be down as well. I’d much rather have the final season of Smallville be (or SEEM to be) stretched out a little bit longer anyways. :)

19. JScout says:

Matt, could you give the ratings in actual viewers? I’ve no idea what a 1.9 rating means. Thanks.

20. raelee514 says:

Yeah for Fringe, I really want a season four, though yikes at this weeks episode for various reasons :-).

I do want to see what happens when Supernatural finally airs though, the CW in their very astute(not) move basically gave away all their Friday ratings momentum with their Nikita at 9 move. I’m not expecting SPN to have numbers as high as Fringe, not as many people even know about the CW as they do Fox, but I do expect Supernatural to hold it’s own and I want to see that happen.

Not as much as I want to see the actual SPN episode, but I want to see it happen.

21. Vanny says:

Frankly, I am sorry Supernatural and Fringe are up against each other, as I love both shows…!!!! Really!!!

22. Lila says:

I am sorry that Supernatural and Fringe are up against each other too. Both are great shows and deserve more respect than the Friday night “kiss of death” timeslot. However, my loyalities fall with SPN because I have loved it from the first episode. That doesn’t mean I want Fringe to fail though. I am hoping both shows get picked up for next year.

23. Rush says:

All well and good, but Fringe isn’t seeing real competition. Dateline is cheap NBC filler, and “What would you do?” is the same for ABC. It’s also manipulation TV that runs completely counter to Fringe’s demographic. CSI: NY is the worst of the CSI series’ and likley won’t see the light of day next year. Sweeps with be the real story when the CW brings back it’s genre shows in earnest.

• Rush says:

But I have to say that this is probably the best time-slot when compared to the face to face it had with a rejuvinated Grey’s.