Ratings: Bones Hits Almost Four-Year High

The key to strong Bones? A tall, cold glass of American Idol.

With Week 2 of Idol (22.3 million viewers) retaining almost all of its debut week audience — meaning, a bigger chunk that last year — Bones scored its best demo rating (3.9) since February 14, 2007.

With its largest total audience in almost a year (12.15 million viewers) and the likes of Grey’s and CSI in repeat mode, Bones easily dominated the 9 o’clock hour.

Deadly Dilemma: Will Bones‘ Booth Be Able To Take Down the New Baddie?

Elsewhere on Thursday night:

* Leading out of a Big Bang repeat, $#*! My Dad Says hit a series low 2.3 rating and dropped 14 percent in total audience.

Michael Slezak’s American Idol Recap: Nashville Stars?

* The CW’s Vampire Diaries (3.46 mil) and Nikita (2.65 mil) both returned to double-digit audience gains, as well as 23 percent/38 percent increases in the demos. (Those tallies could change, though, once preemptions in Chicago and Baltimore are factored in. Nonetheless, both shows are being “encored” Friday night, pushing the Smallville/Supernatural returns to February 4.)

Smallville, Supernatural Returns Delayed A Week

* Most of NBC’s three-hour comedy block held steady week-to-week, with only Perfect Couples showing any significant drop-off (slipping 15 percent). Outsourced, in fact, saw a small gain!

What earned your live viewing this Thursday night?

1. Will says:

Man, I wasn’t in the mood to watch TV last night. I watched Community and turned the TV off.

• Rachel says:

I watched Parks & Recreations and 30 Rock.
      Think it’s time Fox started looking for replacements once House and Bones are gone, both shows are obviously winding down creatively. They should come up with something while the ratings are still solid.

• Jo says:

Rachel – What color is the sky on your planet? If you seriously think P&R and 30R are better or will have a long term following like House and Bones you are living in a world reality has never visited. Those are “comedies” (a matter of opinion) and House and Bones are not yet, consistently manage to infuse a comedic story line.

• Cupcake Nightmare says:

Dude, what’s with the insults? Bones and House are in the twilight of their tv life (remote possibility of midlife if they have Law and Order longevity). Otherwise, lots of people DO love Parks and Recreations and 30 Rock.

Fox has Glee, and while it doesn’t seem like a long term show, it’ll probably hold down the fort until more shows settle down.

• Haas says:

Rachel’s world is a wonderful rainbow colored world endorsed by Pierce Hawthorne and Hawthorne Moist Towelettes. P&R was hilarious and sweet this week. 30 Rock has ups and downs, but it’s still surprisingly fresh for a relatively long term comedy.

House, Bones, AI have definitely seen better days. Especially with Bones, I won’t judge viewers, but they are letting the writers get away with eternal will they/won’t they laziness.

• EL says:

Significant sentence in the above article re: Bones, CSI and Grey’s are ‘in repeat mode’. Tune in next week for more realistic ratings.

• Scott says:

Fox have just confirmed a possible spin-off from Bones which will be planted in the 19th episode of this current season.

As for their other dramas, it’s very likely that Lie To Me, Human Target and Fringe will not be returning next year because of declining ratings or moving to Fridays, which should give the execs at Fox some pause for thought because all 3 shows could easily be renewed.

2. postsalot says:

Nice, Bones gets big ratings for the head go boom episode. :-)

3. Allison says:

Hannah backlash is still there; she wasn’t in this episode. :) Plus, it was a good, strong return to what made this show so entertaining in the first place: lots of David Boreanaz, solid storyline and acting and Booth/Brennan goodness.

4. Kristen says:

Bones was great last night, one of the best eps of the season definitely.

• b says:

Absolutely, and perfectly timed to cash in on the AI lead-in. Hopefully the people who weren’t regular viewers will be hooked by that terrific episode – and hopefully the writers will keep up the quality level for the rest of the season! The first half was just dreary.

5. Lane says:

Re: Bones, hitting a high riding on the coattails of Idols and against reruns is nothing to preen about. The Bones PR team has been annoying me with talking about story integrity while chasing ratings and insulting fans. I hope the small temporary bump was worth it.

• - - - says:

If you read between the lines, that’s pretty much what the article is saying. The series is still solid but nothing spectacular. Quality, as you say, is another matter.

6. MP1996 says:

Hannah wasn’t in this episode, which made it thoroughly enjoyable.

7. Bob says:

Great episode. Exploding head, no Hannah (let’s get to the dumping episode, please), Sweets’ near breakdown before the smackdown. Solid writing.

8. Nerwen Aldarion says:

So with Nikkit and VD going strong last night, that means the CW delayed SV and SPN for no reason, pissing off those collective fanbases….

Smart move CW, you guys are geniuses!

9. Lynn says:

Bones gets good ratings it doesn’t need AI. Some just need a reason to complain……

• Inigo Montoya says:

I’m not a big fan, and don’t want to get into a debate about the quality of the episode. But your comment is not entirely true. Bones #s have been going down all season and they do need the Idols lead-in to bring the numbers back up (to its previous, non-Idols figures).
      I can see why Fox is no longer giving Fringe the post Idols spot, but if advertisers were expecting a bigger bump from Bones’ already solid ratings, Bones could be seen as under-performing.

• bsg says:

How does “Bones scored its best demo rating (3.9) since February 14, 2007 !!! – largest total audience in almost a year !!! (12.15 million viewers)”
        “Bones could be seen as under-performing”???

Was that supposed to be a bitter joke? a stupid statement? or just spiteful?

• Yay says:

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I didn’t write the above analysis, but– the person is saying that if advertisers thought Bones would do even better than ever with the Idols lead, the show is probably under-performing. Right now, it’s only doing as well as it was w/o Idols, 3 years ago. I’m guessing advertising rates are higher 9-10pm after Idols than 8-10pm 3 years ago. It depends on what Fox promised its advertisers. It’s not necessarily about the hard #s.

10. Caroline says:

Bones ratings were up, because Hannah wasn’t in the episode. And we all know that without Hannah the show is much better.

11. Lina says:

Great. So the CW scored good ratings and SV and Supernatural are still preemted? Yeah, that makes sense…

12. dana says:

‘Idol’ was the lead-in last week also: ‘Bones’ got 10,9 mil.
    This week it has improved by more than 1 mil. (12,15 mil) mostly because David Boreanaz directed an exciting ep that felt like a thriller – something that ‘Bones’lacked for almost a year. Boreanaz’ directorial flair + great performance by the whole cast = winner.

• Manu says:

Most viewers don’t know who directs each episode, but you are right in that this episode didn’t suck as much as last weeks. So Bones didn’t lose as many viewers as last week during the actual show. But the starting #, 12mil, in each episode was the Idols effect.

13. akane says:

Since the character of Hanna appears, magic between Bones ‘n Booth disappear, and those moments, the beers, the breakfasts, the flirt

14. Eridapo says:

The explanation for Bones’ higher ratings is simple, CSI and Greys Anatomy were reruns. If we go by last week when a New CSI aired, Bones had 10.5M with Idol as a lead in. I’m pretty sure that next week, when Both CSI and Greys will broadcast new episodes, Bones’ ratings will be in the high 9’s only.

• Sara says:

Exactly what the article is saying. Plus,I think the “almost four-year high” sounds like a back-handed compliment in the context of the Idols talk, since back then, Bones was really growing by word of mouth.

15. Dan says:

I love how alot of people are saying ‘Because Hannah wasn’t in the episode’ is why Bones did so well. Who are you kidding?

CSI and Grey’s both had reruns last night. They are the powerhouses of the 9pm hour and Bones doesn’t have the writing abilities those two series have.

Last year, Bones did 12 million viewers without an AI lead in. This year should have blown away those numbers but didn’t.

The ratings for Bones has been twindling slowly over this season due to bad story writing. And it’s not just one thing but alot of little stuff. The stuffing of Hannah down our throats was ridiculous, Booth has been seen as a total jerk and the writers have forgot all about the secondary cast members. It was like they were so involved in doing this Hannah story arc that they forgot what made the series good. HH was looking at the one tree while the whole forest was burning down around him.

I agree that this was the best episode of the season but I will keep my pessimestic view that the writers/producers will not be able to do a great job. They have done too many stupid things since S4.

The only words I have for HH is “If you want to run with the big dogs, you can’t pee like a puppy”. Pull your head out of your arse and start writing good again.

16. Myra says:

Bones gets back to good writing, no Hannah and good, solid performances! That’s how to get good ratings. I don’t watch Idol so that makes no difference to me. I’m watching Bones because of some hints that B&B will finally get together & Hannah will be gone. If that doesn’t happen I will stop watching. If last night was an indication of things to come I’m all in. Great writing and acting. A long lingering look from Booth towards Brennan at the end…nuff said!

17. Sarah E says:

To those people saying that the ratings were better, because Hannah wasn’t in it: I highly doubt that casual viewers knew beforehand whether Hannah would be in it or not. I’m more than a casual viewer and I didn’t know.

18. We watched Bones and that’s it.

19. Joann says:

Bones!!! I must admit I did tune into Idol — but that’s only because BBT was a rerun.

20. Casey says:

Bones ratings get higher in the episode that Hannah is NOT in. Coincidence? OR NOT. And also, I gotta say it, I was laughing hysterically when the Gravedigger’s head exploded! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that before. I loved it. XD So was she the blind item, or is it still out there?

21. dlferriola says:

Bones was strong only because all the other shows were repeats & there was no Hannah. I still Dvr it & watched Greys repeat which is always better the 2nd time around.

22. Trew says:

Given that Grey’s Anatomy is thoroughly disappointing these days with their newest storyline and Bones isn’t, I’m all about being into Bones at 9. I was initially torn about which show I’d watch, but not torn anymore. Bones has been solid so far.

23. Becca says:

Had to work, which sucked, but the only thing I have caught up on so far was Community.

24. Selena says:

Ok so I have read most of the comments on last nights episode. I have seen every episode of this show and I have something to say…..I have no opinion about hannah, sure I hate her and wish she would just leave but we have to look at this logically (as bones would do) the show reached a level last season that made this change inevitable. It had to be done, it will have to play out. I dont think that the writers would screw up and have her stay past her welcome. Also, I think that they are trying to milk it for all its worth. TV shows need ratings to survive, most people in the world to day have little time for romance in their own lives and crave to watch the inner termoil that leads to that great relationship built on friendship trust and love, we have to time to do this ourselves so why not live vicariously through people who can feel the pain so we dont have to? This is still the one show that I will not miss. It will be until it ends. No matter what, unless they muck it up like they did Moonlighting. (gosh now I am showing my age) thats it folks, enjoy the show or dont but I am going to enjoy.

• atn says:

i agree very much! why the exploding heads about no instant gratification? 6 years is not that long. things need to build and develop, twist and turn (which they have been quite well). it is then that they have meaning!