Oscars: Do This Year's Hosts Get Your Vote?

Get More: Awards, Video

ABC has started uncorking short promos in which Anne Hathaway and James Franco get ready for their plum gig as hosts of this year’s Academy Awards ceremony.

In the first video, Franco (Oscar-nommed for 127 Hours) and Hathaway (a nominee in 2008) “train” à la Rocky for filmdom’s biggest night, including the “escape plan” for any possible wardrobe malfunction involving the seldom clad star of Love and Other Drugs:

Loading video...

I’ll give Hathaway this much; she does a comically great job of selling that scream!

In a newer promo, the twosome practice inviting viewers to tune in for the telecast, which airs Sunday, February 27, on ABC:

Loading video...

The selection of Franco and Hathaway to lord over this year’s Academy Awards raised an eyebrow or two, if only because of their relative youth (when compared to previous hosts). But do you think that burst of vitality could play in the program’s favor?

Comments (16)

• I like their chemistry. and at least their hosting won’t make people squirm like Ricky Gervais at the Globes.

Comment by kaye – January 28, 2011 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the show is as good as the promos, we are in for a treat!

Comment by Kathy19 – January 28, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Anne Hathaway, for Christ’s sake! I’m sure she’ll do a wonderful jog.

Oh yeah. James Franco too :)

Comment by Mayra – January 28, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The promos definitely show that they have chemistry and a sense of humor about it. I just hope somebody is paying as much attention to writing their stuff for the show as they are to creating the promos. The best host in the world can’t save flat material/bad editing. But maybe having these two as the hosts will spark the writers’ imaginations –

Comment by amy – January 28, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they’ll do fine but there will still be incredibly horrible introductions and presenter banter.

And at least one Ricky Gervais joke.

Comment by postsalot – January 28, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Franco is hot, insanely good looking! Anne is someone i wouldnt mind looking like, that alone would have me tuned it, but then its also The Oscars so i wouldnt miss it anyway, if i was in the US! Not sure if i can stay awake here in the UK as it is my bday on the 28th as well! But yeah sorry their chemistry is obviously good, how bout for the next rom com cast them are the two leads as well!

Comment by Kate – January 28, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a brilliant choice. I mean yeah, blatantly playing to the young viewership but that’s not a bad thing, and both Anne and James are smart and charismatic enough to pull it off. I’m expecting great things – like, Neil Patrick Harris great things!

Comment by Grace – January 28, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lmao! That was hysterical! I wasn’t thinking about tuning in before, but I might now. Loved it!

Comment by Alex Miley – January 28, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • might actually watch it this year

Comment by ragu – January 28, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am definitely interested to see what they do this year. They both are extremely talented and funny.

Comment by Mikaylah – January 28, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hathaway always leaves me a little cold, but I think this is a great pairing that will revolutionize the Oscar-watching experience.

Comment by Brian Dunkleman's Shrink – January 28, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anne Hathaway is amazing! She’s just really classy and talented. Franco… meh… his celebrity persona really bugs me.

Comment by Nina – January 28, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The promos are PAINFUL to watch. I think the night is set up to be a complete train wreck.

Comment by Dan – February 25, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has to be one of the worst Oscar presentations I’ve ever seen. I’m trying to stay awake until the end. 50/50

Comment by PML – February 27, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2011 Worst Oscars ever! Terrible writing for the hosts. Hopefully the actors can get right back to what they do best – making movies and people won’t blame them for the AWFUL mess that was.

Comment by Bored Oscar Viewer – February 28, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anne Hathaway A+