Oscars: Do This Year's Hosts Get Your Vote?

ABC has started uncorking short promos in which Anne Hathaway and James Franco get ready for their plum gig as hosts of this year’s Academy Awards ceremony.

In the first video, Franco (Oscar-nommed for 127 Hours) and Hathaway (a nominee in 2008) “train” à la Rocky for filmdom’s biggest night, including the “escape plan” for any possible wardrobe malfunction involving the seldom clad star of Love and Other Drugs:

Loading video...

I’ll give Hathaway this much; she does a comically great job of selling that scream!

In a newer promo, the twosome practice inviting viewers to tune in for the telecast, which airs Sunday, February 27, on ABC:

Loading video...

The selection of Franco and Hathaway to lord over this year’s Academy Awards raised an eyebrow or two, if only because of their relative youth (when compared to previous hosts). But do you think that burst of vitality could play in the program’s favor?

1. kaye says:

I like their chemistry. and at least their hosting won’t make people squirm like Ricky Gervais at the Globes.

2. Kathy19 says:

If the show is as good as the promos, we are in for a treat!

3. Mayra says:

It’s Anne Hathaway, for Christ’s sake! I’m sure she’ll do a wonderful jog.

Oh yeah. James Franco too :)

4. amy says:

The promos definitely show that they have chemistry and a sense of humor about it. I just hope somebody is paying as much attention to writing their stuff for the show as they are to creating the promos. The best host in the world can’t save flat material/bad editing. But maybe having these two as the hosts will spark the writers’ imaginations –

5. postsalot says:

I think they’ll do fine but there will still be incredibly horrible introductions and presenter banter.

And at least one Ricky Gervais joke.

6. Kate says:

Franco is hot, insanely good looking! Anne is someone i wouldnt mind looking like, that alone would have me tuned it, but then its also The Oscars so i wouldnt miss it anyway, if i was in the US! Not sure if i can stay awake here in the UK as it is my bday on the 28th as well! But yeah sorry their chemistry is obviously good, how bout for the next rom com cast them are the two leads as well!

7. Grace says:

I think it’s a brilliant choice. I mean yeah, blatantly playing to the young viewership but that’s not a bad thing, and both Anne and James are smart and charismatic enough to pull it off. I’m expecting great things – like, Neil Patrick Harris great things!

8. Alex Miley says:

Lmao! That was hysterical! I wasn’t thinking about tuning in before, but I might now. Loved it!

9. ragu says:

might actually watch it this year

10. Mikaylah says:

I am definitely interested to see what they do this year. They both are extremely talented and funny.

11. Brian Dunkleman's Shrink says:

Hathaway always leaves me a little cold, but I think this is a great pairing that will revolutionize the Oscar-watching experience.

12. Nina says:

Anne Hathaway is amazing! She’s just really classy and talented. Franco… meh… his celebrity persona really bugs me.

13. Dan says:

The promos are PAINFUL to watch. I think the night is set up to be a complete train wreck.

14. PML says:

This has to be one of the worst Oscar presentations I’ve ever seen. I’m trying to stay awake until the end. 50/50

15. Bored Oscar Viewer says:

2011 Worst Oscars ever! Terrible writing for the hosts. Hopefully the actors can get right back to what they do best – making movies and people won’t blame them for the AWFUL mess that was.

16. Sharon says: